Code of Conduct

Default Who is responsible for the revolution of '76 (that's 1976) ?

I was thinking about 3 major men's frags of this year, Z-14, Yatagan, and the first Gucci Pour Homme. In particular, the Gucci and Z-14 seemed to mark the beginning of the men's "1980s power frag"' type of scent. Here are the notes for the Gucci (from fragrantica.com):

"Top notes are lavender, bergamot, amalfi lemon and basil; middle notes are carnation, iris, jasmine, geranium, sandalwood, patchouli, virginia cedar, spices and pepper; base notes are musk, french labdanum, oakmoss, amber, tonka bean, vanilla and leather."

Before these kinds of frags, the closest thing was the original Old Spice (in terms of lots of notes), but that type is more blended and has an animalic note. The 80s power frags had lots of notes, more of which were articulated (or "legible), and there wasn't always an animalic note (especially if you don't consider leather one). In some ways one could consider them "amped up" fougeres, though instead of tonka/coumarin, there was usually amber or vanilla in the base, which changed the character of the scent significantly. So, my question is, does anyone know who is given the most credit for this big change in "men's" frags?

Default Re: Who is responsible for the revolution of '76 (that's 1976) ?

Grey Flannel was also introduced in 1976. Definitely a power frag.

Something must have been in the water back then.

Default Re: Who is responsible for the revolution of '76 (that's 1976) ?

I say Slater played a role.

Last edited by adonis; 7th May 2010 at 11:38 AM.