Code of Conduct

Default When...to wear Obsession

Is Calvin Klein's Obsession a good scent for...say, high school in the winter?

Default Re: When...to wear Obsession

I think so, yes. I've had a bottle of Obsession in my "stable" for a lot of years now. After getting into this fragrance thing a little more in the last year, I now realize I probably wore Obsession at times when it might not have been appropriate (i.e. too hot, too casual, etc...). But I think being a student and wearing it to high school in the winter is very appropriate.

Yes, Obsession is a good all around fragrance that can be worn during the winter and even during the summer at night for going out.

At school, be careful on the dose- I recall that one projecting very loudly.

Of Course.

My advice.. Don`t wear it, if you`r not passed 60! Unfortunately, it hasn`t passed the test of time..

Quote Originally Posted by chickenwings View Post
    Is Calvin Klein's Obsession a good scent for...say, high school in the winter?
    No, its not a good scent. Its a GREAT scent! Enjoy.

It's a bit "mature" for high school, I think, but on the right teenager I guess it could work. Would work perfectly in winter, but I get a kick out of wearing Obession in the summer, too. It's that citrusy, herbal green-ness that keeps it from becoming too powdery and heavy when the weather warms up.

The older formulation I would have said no, but it's much more tame these days. I use it as an any day, office fragrance. Good choice btw, most high school students are wearing Aqua Di Gio from what I hear. Smelling mature is a good thing, as opposed to the other side of the coin.

you could use it for that sure, i like the fragrance to be honest.

Great, thanks. It's not too powdery, too "old-man" is it?
    Last edited by chickenwings; 31st May 2010 at 04:29 AM.

You don't want to be "the stinky cologne kid". Consider Obsession for an evening date fragrance and something else that's clean and light for school.
    Last edited by adonis; 31st May 2010 at 04:48 AM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    You don't want to be "the stinky cologne kid". Consider Obsession for an evening date fragrance and something else that's clean and light for school.
    indeed, Obsession - the one for men that is - comes across as the overly-fragrant king of mediocre men's colognes as far as I'm concerned. nothing offensive or bad, but never really all that good, either. Luca Turin's two-word description of it was apt: cheap oriental.

if you like spicy, warm oriental fragrances you may like Coco by Chanel - the EDT is dryer and more masculine than the perfume, and it's something girls will like because they're the ones who are supposed to be wearing it, at least according to Chanel.

but then again, if you really like Obsession, you should go with it. when I was in HS no one even knew what it was, and that was 10 years ago. nowadays your friends may think you're wearing the newest thing and want to copy your style. and that makes you the ultimate cool kid.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I'd say go for it, starting with a light application and get some feedback from trusted friends. I don't know which old men HS kids have been smelling these days but the older gentlemen I know smell great. Anyway a little dissonance creates a little mystery, or a point of intrigue, which imo can be a good conversation starter with members of the opposite sex.

That was a very good description!

A lot lot things, including people, don't get old. They get great.

Quote Originally Posted by chickenwings
    Powdery, no; spicy and musky (ie. "old man" to the kids), yes. The first time I smelled a sample of Obsession for men, having worn and been accustomed to modern aquatic/sporty/fresh colognes from 1996 onward, it did strike me as a dated, "'80s" smell, something a Wall Street power broker would have worn. But I'm with Diamondflame that dissonance can be intriguing, and as long as you go easy on the trigger (read: one spray only, especially at school), you might find Obsession fits you quite well, and makes you stand apart from your Sean John/Armani Code-loving peers. Smell it before you buy, though.
    Last edited by subhuman85; 31st May 2010 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by subhuman85 View Post
    Powdery, no; spicy and musky (ie. "old man" to the kids), yes. The first time I smelled a sample of Obsession for men, having worn and been accustomed to modern aquatic/sporty/fresh colognes from 1996 onward, it did strike me as a dated, "'80s" smell, something a Wall Street power broker would have worn. But I'm with Diamondflame that dissonance can be intriguing, and as long as you go easy on the trigger (read: one spray only, especially at school), you might find Obsession fits you quite well, and makes you stand apart from your Sean John/Armani Code-loving peers. Smell it before you buy, though.
    Hmm. I like spicy, but not musky. If I find Old Spice a bit too old-mannish, will Obsession be okay? If not, what are some lighter, but still oriental/woody/spicy cheap scents that I can go with for school in the winter?

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Oriental/spicy/woody & cheap? Try these:-

Arpege pour Homme by Lanvin
    Jacomo de Jacomo Rouge by Jacomo (blimey, that's 3 Jacomos in a single name )
    Kenzoair by Kenzo