Code of Conduct

Default YSL cologne aficionados

I already own Kouros and love it. Have heard nothing but love for Rive Gauche. Would it be o.k. for a 30 year old man to wear? Is it that good?

Default Re: YSL cologne aficionados

That would almost be the perfect age. I'm 23 and while I really like it, I feel it's a bit too mature for me and my personality. The best interpreation of it would be Barbasol shaving cream. It's a spicy, subtle long lasting high quality Barbasol scent.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    That would almost be the perfect age. I'm 23 and while I really like it, I feel it's a bit too mature for me and my personality. The best interpreation of it would be Barbasol shaving cream. It's a spicy, subtle long lasting high quality Barbasol scent.
    I've heard the Brbasol reference and have always liked the subtle smells I get when I used Barbasol in the past. I guess if I don't like it I can pass it off on my dad

it is great, sample it before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    it is great, sample it before you buy.
    Definitely, I bought it blind, and sold several weeks later; while it is a nicely done and extremely unique fragrance, I could not see (nor smell) myself wearing it often

If you own and love Kouros then I doubt you will be disappointed with Rive Gauche. Whereas Kouros is dry and soapy Rive Gauche is sweeter and creamier but has the same classic 'old school' vibe. It's a great fragrance and very versatile. Like Kouros a couple of sprays maximum gives the best results - you'll smell it on yourself all day (but won't kill those around you!). It projects well and has great longevity - 12hrs + on most people.

Go for it!

I'm a "mature" guy, so you can take it with a grain of salt, but RGPH is a fantastic scent, that walks the line between "old" and "hip" beautifully.

You won't smell like an old guy wearing it. Under 25, it may be a bit dicey. But I can tell from the love it gets in here, plenty of guys under 25 pul it off fine.

It's first rate shyt.

Quote Originally Posted by JMang View Post
    Definitely, I bought it blind, and sold several weeks later; while it is a nicely done and extremely unique fragrance, I could not see (nor smell) myself wearing it often
    These days I do not like to buy blind, even though my results were ok they were not as i intended i suggest everyone to sample before you buy, especially high end fragrances they can be costly

Personally, I don't see the relationship between demographics and scents. I always thought that men will be considered attractive or not regardless of the scent he is wearing. This means, he could be wearing what is in fashion nowadays, but lack of manners, personal care and good taste won't be overcome by the scent he might be wearing. On the other hand, he could be wearing the cheapest and most vile scent around, but manners, personal care and good taste will make up for whatever he could be wearing (provided he does not bathe in it, that means).

Having said this, Rive Gauche smells lile Barbasol. IMHO, it can be worn by a any regular guy around. Now, be careful for the blend is a strong one and overapplication will end up being a turn-off for those around the wearer.

If you love Kouros, you will love almost all YSL frags!!!!
    Go for it!
    By the way, think about M7....
    Last edited by easyfish; 7th May 2010 at 05:03 PM.

Body Kouros is one of the best fragrances on ever level IMO. It can be found cheap too. Check it out and I know many other BNers will vouch for it.

Quote Originally Posted by easyfish View Post
    If you love Kouros, you will love almost all YSL frags!!!!
    Go for it!
    By the way, think about M7....
    the vintage m7, the reformulated version cannot compare

I am 26 and Rive Gauche is truly suitable for my age group, I can hardly imagine another fragrance more suitable and more versatile, almost irrespective of the occasion, the formality/sportiness of the clothes worn, the time of the day or the season.

thanks for the info, guys! gonna order some samples soon. not sure if i could find it at von maur. anyone know anything about the availability there?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    the vintage m7, the reformulated version cannot compare
    i have tried M7 in the past and wasn't crazy about it. i like brass balls fragrances and it didn't do it for me. just ordered a sample of montale black aoud so i will have met my maker in a few days

Im 22 and i wear rive gauche at least three times a week. I dont think it smells anything other than clean, and is not old mannish at all. It is a fragrance that should be worn with confidence and generally is more applicable to semi formal occasions. For me, this is my interview and meeting cologne, and for these occasions a little goes a long way. So, the 20 dollars that a bottle of RGPH costs is well worth it because it will be with you for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by dogsinatub View Post
    i have tried M7 in the past and wasn't crazy about it. i like brass balls fragrances and it didn't do it for me. just ordered a sample of montale black aoud so i will have met my maker in a few days
    ditto, except i recommend the even better aoud cuir d'arabie.

RG just doesnt do it for me, it's all right and the problem is not the age ( a mate o fmine got hooked and is plenty below your age) but i just dont like it.

smeller

RG is perhaps the YSL frag I like less, besides l'homme and the original YSL pour homme.

This was never my favourite house, but I believe even Jazz is superior to RG.

RG's top notes are some of the most promising, but to my nose it develops to nowhere.

Also, I don't like Barbasol.