Code of Conduct

Default Long time reader first time poster looking for advice

Ok let me start off by saying I'm a gay male, but here is where I need advice. I somehow managed to get a date with a professional male model, and let me just say I consider this man to be rugged, genetic masculine perfection, sooooo I want my chances to be as high with him in every way possible heheh Anyways I'm pretty sure we'll end up back at his place at the end of the night so I was hoping to get some input on what cologne to wear? I'm a very masculine guy and I want to wear something that won't be overpowering but will basically be incredibly masculine, unique and seductive at the same time. I was thinking Chergui might be what I'm looking for after doing some research but I don't really want to make a blind buy on something so pricey. My current collection includes GIT, Himalaya, Aqua Nautilus, Curve by Claiborne, Chanel PM, and Philosykos. Thanks in advance for your input, price is not a problem if you can convince me of a purchase!

Default Re: Long time reader first time poster looking for advice

I propose this advice not for gay or straight but for anyone in the dating game.

You want something pleasant and "safe" that will not be too controversial that might put someone off. Nothing too strong with huge sillage that might offend. Wear what you like and be confident. Don't go out and buy something because you think it will be a love potion. We have stickies that deal with this in which people want the ideal "love potion" or aphrodisiac.

It seems like you are putting too much emphasis on your fragrance and not the most important thing: YOU! I would go, however, with the Chanel Pour Monsieur.

Relax and enjoy yourself! Self-confidence is the sexiest thing a person can possess--even more so than beauty. In France in the 19th century, there were the women known as "jolie laides"--"ugly beauties." They were not conventionally beuatiful but attracted men like bees to honey because of their charm, wit and intelligence.
    Last edited by Primrose; 7th May 2010 at 01:29 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Primrose, I quite agree - you are right in what you say! Be yourself and just wear what you feel is comfortable and "you". A first date is all about you the person, not your scent.

Ah thank you for the advice, I know I shouldn't rely so much on something that doesn't really matter. In all honesty... I think I was using this date as an excuse to make a new addition to my collection more than anything :-D Maybe I will buy that Chergui even if I won't be wearing it on my date...

Thank you, Zosema. Far too many people get wrapped in in clothing or fragrance on first date. This is important, of course, but bathing, shaving, good grooming and a pleasant scent are starters.

The main even is the *connection* between two people. Sometimes we see "oddly mismatched" couples on the street and wonder about this: one person a Greek statue and the other is very plain or even "ugly." That is because there is so much more in relationship than mere looks.

Phil, go out and enjoy yourself!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by philmcphe View Post
    Ah thank you for the advice, I know I shouldn't rely so much on something that doesn't really matter. In all honesty... I think I was using this date as an excuse to make a new addition to my collection more than anything :-D Maybe I will buy that Chergui even if I won't be wearing it on my date...
    I like an honest man--any excuse to add to his collection of scent! A new date is a wonderful excuse. LOL!

If you have not, try some of the Guerlain masculines such as Habit Rouge EDT (easy to find), Mouchoir de Monsieur and Derby, if you can afford it.

Also try Caron's Le Troisieme Homme for a nice floral masculine. Finally, don't get locked into gender labels. Many of us here are "gender blind"--we wear what we like regardless of what the bottle says! LOL! (Sean Connery, I understand, wears Guerlain Jicky, a women's scent much like Mouchoir de Monsieur.)
    Last edited by Primrose; 7th May 2010 at 01:39 PM.

Hmmm thank you for the suggestions, Mouchoir de Monsieur sounds the most intriguing to me, as does Derby, but that has got QUITE the price tag so I will have to find somewhere to test that one first, unfortunately I recently moved to Las Vegas and still have yet to find a place to try out the less run of the mill scents. I absolutely love finding scents people have never heard of, my favorite in this case would have to be Aqua Nautilus, very hard to come by but unique and sensual in countless ways!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I propose this advice not for gay or straight but for anyone in the dating game.

You want something pleasant and "safe" that will not be too controversial that might put someone off. Nothing too strong with huge sillage that might offend. Wear what you like and be confident. Don't go out and buy something because you think it will be a love potion. We have stickies that deal with this in which people want the ideal "love potion" or aphrodisiac.

It seems like you are putting too much emphasis on your fragrance and not the most important thing: YOU! I would go, however, with the Chanel Pour Monsieur.

Relax and enjoy yourself! Self-confidence is the sexiest thing a person can possess--even more so than beauty. In France in the 19th century, there were the women known as "jolie laides"--"ugly beauties." They were not conventionally beuatiful but attracted men like bees to honey because of their charm, wit and intelligence.
    Primrose doth speaketh the truth!

This gay male wants someone who is confident, honest, comfortable-in-his-own-skin, well groomed, physically fit. Regardless if they smell like Axe Body Sprays, if a guy meets these criteria, his SOTD choice is very low on the priorities.

Like Primrose, I would stick with the Chanel Pour Monsieur. Lightly applied, of course.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 7th May 2010 at 02:07 PM.

A masculine date scent I always recommend for people is Bvlgari pour homme soir. It's a dark black tea fragrance that still has the Bvlgari signature lightness. Distinguished, modern and quietly seductive.

Hmmm thank you for the suggestions, Mouchoir de Monsieur sounds the most intriguing to me, as does Derby, but that has got QUITE the price tag so I will have to find somewhere to test that one first, unfortunately I recently moved to Las Vegas and still have yet to find a place to try out the less run of the mill scents. I absolutely love finding scents people have never heard of, my favorite in this case would have to be Aqua Nautilus, very hard to come by but unique and sensual in countless ways!
    I agree that you should definitely not blind-buy any Guerlains. Vegas has its own special places for fragrance that are difficult to find elsewhere--the Saks in The Fashion Show Mall carries the entire By Kilian line and the Dior boutiques carry my all-time fav, Eau Noire (which, BTW, would make an excellent and alluring scent for your date).
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

Las Vegas??!

There is a full Guerlain boutique there that is nothing short of wonderful and you can test there. The SAs are great and know their scents and products. You MUST go there!! They are at The Shoppes at the Palazzo.
    Last edited by Primrose; 7th May 2010 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Primrose doth speaketh the truth!

This gay male wants someone who is confident, honest, comfortable-in-his-own-skin, well groomed, physically fit. Regardless if they smell like Axe Body Sprays, if a guy meets these criteria, his SOTD choice is very low on the priorities.

Like Primrose, I would stick with the Chanel Pour Monsieur. Lightly applied, of course.
    LOL! Mike, are you sure about this?

pick a masculine frag that you are confident wearing and that gets you compliments.

Welcome to Basenotes!!!
    Gary

Welcome, Phil. I say Primrose's advice is solid and so are the posts chiming in with that.

The only thing I would add is, choose a fragrance that you already have good memories and associations with - it will give you a background on which to bolster your confidence. Don't use this occasion as a maiden flight for anything. And go easy on the application - maybe back off the sprays to about two/thirds of what you would normally wear.

Thanks for all the advice! Jardanel- I never go over the top on application, some days I only do one spray, usually two, but just depends on what I decide to wear for the day, most scents seem to get great sillage on my skin and anything over that seems cloying to me. Like I said above though I think I was just using this date as an excuse to get a nice new scent LOL, so I think I'll just wear a spray or two of Chanel PM and go ahead and make a purchase of whatever I feel like!

No scent required. And every single person who's read this far is thinking "He'd better post pics of this date or we'll never talk to him again."

Hmm well I was going to show my date off since you said that but I can't seem to post a picture saved on my computer. I would just put a link to his pictures on the internet but many of them are nudes so I think some people might not be happy about that lol
    Last edited by philmcphe; 8th May 2010 at 11:36 AM.

Fahrenheit is as masculine as can be yet dirty.. very dirty.. it smells like motor oil; I think rugged is fitting, but it's also incredibly sexy however that part is subjective, some people hate the stuff. John Varvatos is another very masculine, unique and sexy fragrance, and of course there's always Le Male.