Code of Conduct

Default Need a replacement for Joop! or Burberry Brit

Because they are both too feminine for my tastes, but my new man-friend wears them and nothing else. Please help!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need a replacement for Joop! or Burberry Brit

Hey, bellaviola,

I am a big fan of Brit. Recently I have been in the market for other favorites, and so I ordered (based upon the membership's suggestions) 11 samples. One of my favorites (and one that I have already ordered a large bottle of) is Lalique's Encre Noire. At first I dismissed it because--and I wrote this down--"it's GREAT, but too much like Brit." However, upon a second wearing, I realized that it is similar to Brit, but is more masculaine and has more lasting power, so now I will have Brit AND Encre Noir.

Further fun facts: Encre Noire means "black ink," and the bottle is fashioned after an inkwell that Lalique made in 1913. I LOVE THAT KIND OF S%^T!!! However, CAREFUL! If you find the eau de parfum (not the eau de toilette), you're gonna have to fork out some $700 because it's parfum and because the bottle is like a collector's item.

Hope this helps.

Thank you thank you thank you...
    I just can't take the Joop! anymore. I will check out the Lalique forthwith

Post Thanks / Like

Huh? Encre Noir couldn't smell any less like Brit.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Post Thanks / Like

Well, sorry to have mislead you, Bellavoila. In any case, Encre Noire is worth a sniff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Welcome to Basenotes bellaviola.

Instead of recommending specific fragrance(s) your guy may or may not like, may I offer and alternative solution? Take him fragrance shopping. Go together to the fragrance counter in a department store, sephora, ulta or the like. Find something you both like on him, and buy it for him. Then maybe you can do the same for yourself - find something new you both like on you, and get him to buy that for you.

Sampling together is a lot of fun. Be careful not to buy on top notes alone though. Just my 2 cents.

original santal can replace joop, realm could as well. try them out.

Original Santal maybe a little too feminine as well .....although I really like it.
    Last edited by The Grifter; 8th May 2010 at 01:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grifter View Post
    Original Santal maybe a little too feminine as well .....although I really like it.
    it has similarities but it is a tad feminine i agree, it has too much spice and not enough of anything else, a tad bland.

Post Thanks / Like

My wife can't stand Joop Homme on me anymore either. But she hasn't complained about Joop Homme Electric Heat or Joop Thrill - yet.

You could always check out the old orientals - Lagerfeld Classic, KL Homme, Equipage, Nemo, Salvador Dali PH, original Ralph Lauren Chaps, Lapidus, Escada PH, Heritage or perhaps even YSL's M7 - which tended to be more masculine than the later crops, and see if he likes them. These ones that I've listed I'd have little or no hesitation wearing to work, but wouldn't wear most of the others, which suggest partying to my mind.
    Renato

Not that they're exactly similar, but Gucci Envy has always been inthe same box as Brit to me. I think they both have ginger notes to them. Brit is a little sweeter, Envy a little greener, but I wear them on similar occassions. They're both good formal scents. Give it a try.

To Lionheart: I have a sample of Encre Noir, and I must say: I was totally unimpressed by it. I will admit though-I tried L'Air Morrocain on the other hand when I first tried it, so maybe it was just greatly overshadowed by a far superior fragrance. Which is why I tried it atleast twice after that, and came to the same conclusion. It's a sweet woody fragrance, kinda soft, not harsh at all. I would wear it, but never buy it. It's very overrated.

La Voile Rouge

Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't surprise me that Burberry Brit strikes ppl a bit feminine. Brit has a Gucci Envy for men vibe, Gucci is masculine and spicy woody - give it a shot!

I see no Joop! Homme! more masculine alternative except Joop! Thrill Man wich is not really all too masculine scent.

Only now I've noticed that Larviz mentioned Gucci Envy for men, so it would seem I'm not the only one here.
    Last edited by Zgb; 8th May 2010 at 02:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

To Lionheart: I have a sample of Encre Noir, and I must say: I was totally unimpressed by it. I will admit though-I tried L'Air Morrocain on the other hand when I first tried it, so maybe it was just greatly overshadowed by a far superior fragrance. Which is why I tried it atleast twice after that, and came to the same conclusion. It's a sweet woody fragrance, kinda soft, not harsh at all. I would wear it, but never buy it. It's very overrated.[/QUOTE]
    Well, Larwiz, as I said, I've already bought it now, so...anyway, I really love Encre, and that's what makes the world go round: I like this, you like that...

DeepSilence

Replaces for Joop: Fleur Du Male, Fahrenheit, Angel. maybe those are not in one category. If you like Chypre pefumes, maybe Aramis Devin works for you. it's great.

DeepSilence

oh Sorry ! you are lady. i thought you are man.

KL Homme
    Giorgio Red
    Last edited by Asmo; 8th May 2010 at 05:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zgb View Post
    Only now I've noticed that Larviz mentioned Gucci Envy for men, so it would seem I'm not the only one here.
    Zgb and Larwiz, you are not the only ones to make this comparison. I too found something very similar between Brit and Envy. I didn't like Brit at all, but I think I could have worn Envy. It is a little greener. However, the one day I tried to wear it (from a decant) my wife told me I smelled like her grandfather. She said something similar about Brit. They are both definitely mature smelling frags.

To Zgb and Golfer: I knew I wasn't the only one that saw the similarities. Brit was my first Burberry, and it was years later that I discovered Envy. Thing is, I had been abandoning Brit quite a bit because I didn't have a lot of it left, and also because I had become convinced by the majority on here that Brit is more of a fall/winter fragrance. So I wasn't really using my Brit. And the less you use a fragrance, the less you value it. It's true! So...when I got my Envy, I was like hmm...well, if I have this, do I really need the Brit? I was considering whether I would replace the bottle when it was done. I eventually swapped my M7 for a half full 100 ml bottle of Brit and realized it was worth keeping. I had a lot of enjoyable wears in this. It has always made me feel formal and sophisticated, just like Envy. Envy MAY be just a tad more formal smelling though. But Brit started off as my go-to interview scent. Also, one of my younger sister's friends said she thought Brit was SOOOO nice. That's really when I started reconsidering my dear Brit.

I'm going on a little tangent here, but somebody hear me out. One thing I've observed during my fragrance exploration is that at some point, you will likely find yourself in and out of love with each of your fragrances. However...I am very particular about the fragrances I choose to purchase, and if I decide to buy something, that means it was on my skin for several wears and I find the scent somewhat unique or atleast better than the rest in its genre. So...there may come a point where I become less enthused about a fragrance, but I hang in there, because I know that at some point in time, I really enjoyed the fragrance, so I feel hopeful that one day I'll reach for that fragrance, wear it, and find myself enjoying it.