Code of Conduct

Default SotD Saturday 8 May

Good morning!

Another day in Rochas Femme for me.
    Started the week wearing Mitsouko for several days in a row, have been in a mood for classic fruity Chypres lately.

Have a wonderful weekend!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Default Re: SotD Saturday 8 May

Good morning! Cold an windy so I'm testing a spicy fragrance today:
    Patchouly Homme from Nicolaï.

Notes from the Nicolaï web site:
    Top notes : Citrus, lavender, pelargonium, bay
    Heart : Cinnamom, pepper, Rose-Patchouli accord
    Bottom notes : Sandalwood, amber, vanilla

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

I just got this rarity in the mail today,
    so, of course, that's what I'm in!

MIRACLE INTENSE
    de LANCÔME

- Eau de Parfum -

Caron Tabac Blond.

Sur la Plage

My SOTD is Chanel No 5 Eau Premiere.

Top notes: Ylang-Ylang, Aldehydes, Neroli
    Middle notes: Jasmine, Rose

Base notes: Vetiver from Reunion, Vanilla

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Wordy's yesterday combo sounded SO intriguing I had to try it.

plus

PURRfect for today's two hour Tai Chi Work Shop at my old schoo!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Eva Pasco

Elizabeth Taylor Gardenia for me...

"A mother is not a person to lean on, but a person to make leaning unnecessary." Dorothy Canfield Fisher

Love In Black today, inspired by Haunani's violetfest yesterday. It's too cold here for the Stephen Jones sample! I'm on fledgling watch today, keeping the neighbourhood cats out of the garden and away from the baby robin that's sat in the long grass. Mr and Mrs Robin yell, and I run out with my broom like a mad lady!
    Out here we are running for the wide open spaces, the road-smell after the rain.

Basenotes Plus

Jean Paul Gaultier Classique edp

Enjoy the day, all!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Petra, that is important work - robin guarding!!!!!
    I'm starting the day in Hermes Osmanthe Yunnan, which is beautiful but fleeting. Perfect for a calm Sat. morning shuffling around the house.

Bois de Violette today.

Ava Luxe No. 23. I see a full bottle of this comming up - in extrait (the extraits are being sold again).

Basenotes Plus

Chanel Beige...almost went for the Eau Premier but I haven't worn Beige in a while, so I thought I'd give it some lovin.

My sweetheart is home today...well he's actually enroute right now but I pick him up at the airport a little later.

Storm front moving in this morning & I woke up with a headache. Not unusual but annoying, it's sinus. I've got a lot to do & can't be held back by a mere headache.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

I'm wearing Wild Honeysuckle edt by Bath & Body Works this morning, but I'm going to play with samples today so I'm sure I'll be wearing any number of things in combination.

RHM, I have a sinus headache this morning, too. I sympathize!
    Last edited by lilybelle; 8th May 2010 at 01:47 PM.

L'Artisan Tea for Two.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Basenotes Institution

Morning everyone............. Carnal Flower today !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Riviera dei Fiori near Sanremo and Alassio

Vétiver dance Tauer for this evening
    A, quales ego mane rosas procedere vidi!
    Nascebantur adhuc neque erat par omnibus aetas.

Thumbs up Re: SotD Saturday 8 May

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Calvin Klein Eternity Summer for Men 2006 today in an attempt to beat the heat/humidity

Read more: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/251...#ixzz0nLg6bQL4

Basenotes Institution

Orange Blossom Cologne by Jo Malone (from a sample)

I love the top notes, they remind me a bit of that new Aqua Allegoria Flora Nymphea...all green leaves and orange blossoms. But I think today I figured out why I am not falling in love with this one, it's the water lily note in the dry down. I really have an aversion to that note. I remember a water lily candle that I had in my house, that when it was lit it made my stomach turn. Blech. So, I think I might have to stop trying to like this one, and move on.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 8th May 2010 at 02:44 PM.

The scent is inspired by Olivier Creed's travels on the high seas, "an element of nature that connects all humanity." and according to Creed, the bottle evokes "the shoulders of a feminine figure as she rests upon white sands caressed by the ocean's gentle current. A silver ribbon at the neck conveys sunshine dancing on the Aegean sea".
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

Blog Entries

I reapplied Poeme from a RIS bottle last night to be sure I like it fine, and I woke up still smelling it on that arm!
    I guess that will have to count for a third day for my 3 days in a row full bottle challenge because I would want to wear lilacs today in memory of a family member.

Blog Entries

John Singer Sargent, 1911

Madame Rochas

The scent of golden sunshine on white linen,
    broom and orange blossom are
    anchored by sensuous woods and vetiver.
    Birds sing, bees buzz along;
    I am drifting away from this story...

Based on the original but with a slightly more intense
    formula by Jean-Louis Sieuzac and Jacques Fraysse.
    A soft yet rich floral-aldehyde parfum with;
    Top notes of orange blossom, broom, honeysuckle and neroli.
    Heart notes of ylang-ylang, tuberose, jasmine, orris and Bulgarian rose.
    Base notes of sandalwood, cedar, vetiver, musk and amber.
    Last edited by kumquat; 8th May 2010 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eva Pasco View Post
    Elizabeth Taylor Gardenia for me...

"A mother is not a person to lean on, but a person to make leaning unnecessary." Dorothy Canfield Fisher
    Excellent quote today! I recall buying ET Gardenia for a friend who loved the flower, it's lovely on her. A gentle sort of non-overwhelming gardenia.

Continuing my Dali-ance with Laguna

Sotd: Pure Poison
    SotE: Mystere(like this one more and more)

Kumquat, what a beautiful painting and Madame Rochas sounds wonderful.

Happy Saturday everyone! Today's SotD is L'Air du Desert Marocain by Andy Tauer (a sample I received from the lovely Leesee).

Have a wonderful weekend!

Im in Guerlain's discontinued darling, AA Winter Delice. Yup, WINTER, even though it's spring. Weeeell, you see, I just bought the full-size bottle from the adorable Mr. G and I had to wear it, didn't I? It's very very good. On me the incense comes zooming out and then I get an amazingly long-lasting woody musky base that I'll still be able to smell tomorrow morning. Love it! Now for the tricky bit: not wearing it so much I wear out my affection for it. I've done this with several perfumes in the past, so I'm going to ration myself to wearing this only once a week. (Yup, how daft am I?)

Have a lovely weekend. xxx
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Quote Originally Posted by Petra Ichor View Post
    ...Love In Black today, inspired by Haunani's violetfest yesterday. It's too cold here for the Stephen Jones sample! I'm on fledgling watch today, keeping the neighbourhood cats out of the garden and away from the baby robin that's sat in the long grass. Mr and Mrs Robin yell, and I run out with my broom like a mad lady!
    Petra Ichor, thanks for the reminder that I need to try Love in Black, and best wishes to you and Baby Robin. It's mid-morning here, and last night's Stephen Jones still scents my skin. Outstanding longevity! For now I'm re-applying. This may have to go on my FB wish list!

Edit: Stephen Jones is considered aldehydic, but I like it. Still trying to figure that out!

Quote Originally Posted by Therese View Post
    Bois de Violette today.
    More violets! Wish I could wear that one, Therese. The cedar overwhelms the violet for me. :-(
    Last edited by Haunani; 8th May 2010 at 06:55 PM.

Madini Sahara for me.

Good morning to all! It's a lovely sunny day here in Canada. Hope everyone has a great day.

I'll be dusting & vacuuming in Vera Wang's Bouquet, and although it'll be difficult, I'll resist the urge to don pearls and high heels.

* Top Notes
    * Dew drops, Bergamot, Blackcurrant leaves.

Middle Notes
    * Narcissus, Honeysuckle.

Base Notes
    * Lavender, Cedar, White Iris Root.

From the BN description.

Last edited by whitelace; 8th May 2010 at 05:17 PM.

I bought a small bottle of the new SJP NYC this week to take with me when I popped in to help judge students' fragrance marketing presentations. One of their topics was Coty, so I though it'd be interesting to quiz them about the latest release (none of them knew what it was!). I'm evil like that.

I'm wearing the scent today. Hoo boy. It's strawberry Ribena-alcopop-chewing gum smell that would be at home in a shower gel, lip gloss flavour or possibly shampoo. It'll no doubt be a summer best-seller. *sigh*

Don't get me wrong - it's a 'nice smell'. I guess I'm having a hard time adjusting to the changing smell landscape of modern perfumes; that scents usually reserved for flavours and product perfumes should be bottled and sold as fine fragrance. They sell; people wear them - so why not?

I will probably wear this every now and then throughout the summer, but I think tomorrow I shall apply some kind of perfume-antidote in the form of a Chanel, Guerlain or somesuch.

Flower by Kenzo. It's divine.

Testing Parfum d'Empire's Osmanthus Interdite ...

Goodness, everyone smells delightful! RHM and lilybelle, I'm sorry to hear about your sinus troubles -- I've been having them as well, though not, thank heavens, enough to cause the dreaded sinus headaches you two are enduring. Poor boos! At least my vertigo seems to have finally gone. It had me literally on my back all of Friday.

SotD is going to be Rochas Femme, inspired by the Rochas love that abounds on this thread today. Take care, all.

Petra, thanks for sharing a baby guard story with us. Made me grin from one ear to another. You know what? Quite some time ago I read one respected BNer complain that there is too much unnecessary information on our SotD threads. I did not peep in that time, but I love it when someone posts personal "Whoas" like yours today. I also feel more connected when I read about RHM's family, 30R.'s family, Ms.W's Small, Ms.Tao's AA meetings, etc. These bits and pieces are all parts of our small huge world and our extended relations.

I wore Juliet Has a Gun Lady Vengeance to work today -- had to come for somebody who called in. The whole town smells of lilacs, although it is fairly cool (in lower 50's), our bush in the back yard is still budding and has not opened up yet. Seems like it is a darker shade lilacs with fluffier petals, perhaps more than 4. We will see. Rhubarbs are abloom -- will probably make chutney tonight.

Hugs to all!

Blog Entries

Shalimar Extrait.

L'Artisan Tubereuse

Perhaps I am the wrong person to write reviews for tuberose-centric fragrances as it is not my favorite floral category. But I do think I know when I smell a good thing, and L'Artisan's Tubereuse is really not one of them. To be fair, It opens with a really huge tuberose note that is quite nice as it evokes a fleshy, larger-than-life exotic flower with hints of bubblegum and a lemony-woody quality. All too soon it transitions into a chemical-smelling generic white floral with a jarring fecal edge and some soapy white musk. Subtlety is definitely not the theme here. In fact, I am wearing Piguet Fracas (newest formulation) for comparison. Where Fracas is full, creamy, sophisticated and symphonic, Tubereuse is loud, harsh, screechy and thin. Fracas is beautiful and graceful. Tubereuse is a maladroit caricature. It is probably worth sampling, but I suspect most tuberose lovers will go elsewhere for their tuberose fix.

Xerjoff xxy and "elle: toda, courtesy of a wonderful bnER.

XXy is okay, but not FB worthy, given my wardrobe. "Elle" doesn't do it for me... Will be passing on to evangeline per agreements.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Tried Dioressence and Mitsouko again today but I tested them on the same arm and now I'm not sure if the wonderful drydown is one scent or both!
    Whatever it is it's just gorgeous!

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

SotE;
    POISON
    Vintage Eau de Toilette

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I'm in AG Des Lys today...nothing else would do. This isn't something I can wear just any day, but today it was just right.

Funny how we are so particular about what to wear, and that what we adore one day, we abominate the next? I wonder why that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    I love it when someone posts personal "Whoas" like yours today. I also feel more connected when I read about RHM's family, 30R.'s family, Ms.W's Small, Ms.Tao's AA meetings, etc. These bits and pieces are all parts of our small huge world and our extended relations.
    I feel the same, Twolf! I love to hear your stories.

I was wearing Ô de Lancome in the morning and sote is Daphne - Comme des Garçons

So far today I've been in Carven Vetiver, Chanel No. 19 (layered over the CV), and Bvlgari Black. The CV/C19 was for my farmers market visit, and after a worthwhile weeding and cultivating and planting session in the veg garden, I washed up and went with the BB as it's oddly one of the most relaxing scents I have.

I think I might have overdone the gardening and didn't even know it until I tried to take off my gloves and found that the fingers didn't want to work right! (this is "normal" for me, a neurological disorder that comes and goes) ... Oh well, should be back to somewhat normal function by the next time the weeds need attention! I could almost hear the garden thanking me for removing the stuff that was choking the bean plants and encroaching on the onions and garlic and herbs.

Everybody smells wonderful today!

Edit: And now I'm wearing Sycomore, as I managed to get some of it on my hands, while decanting! (not a bad thing to have on your hands, for sure.)
    Last edited by actiasluna; 8th May 2010 at 11:09 PM.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Had a fun morning testing this and that (thanks swap buddies!!!!) and then the mailman brought my ebay purchase, vintage Chanel 19 eau de cologne (hecho en mexico! see the "today I bought thread for more info if you're interested...) and it/I smell delightful! The vintage EDC is richer and lasts longer than my contemporary EDT so far.

I too love the little slivers of daily life that are delivered along with the fragrance selection posting. If it were just a "list", don't think I'd bother reading it.

Hope you all have a lovely weekend.

Basenotes Institution

*Groan*...... eau de garlic layered with Carnal Flower. If only my perfumes were as potent as eau de garlic- from a spilled bottle of chopped garlic !!!!!!!! ( That's where the smell of garlic was coming from this morning ! argggggghhhh ! )
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 8th May 2010 at 11:28 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I'm wearing my new Grès Cabaret this evening. I loooove this fragrance. I'm so glad to have snagged a bottle.

Vtg Beloved by Prince Matchabelli

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    *Groan*...... eau de garlic layered with Carnal Flower. If only my perfumes were as potent as eau de garlic- from a spilled bottle of chopped garlic !!!!!!!! ( That's where the smell of garlic was coming from this morning ! argggggghhhh ! )
    Now THAT's a scent with sillage AND longevity!
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Francesco Smalto pour Homme tonight

Blog Entries

What a gorgeous day it was, I tried some lilac samples (Floraison Mauve from DSH and -- finally, ta-da! -- my Highland Lilac arrived, and it's truly lovely. I'll have to wear it side by side with Pacifica because I hate to admit that but it's still in the running!
    And for a party with friends I was craving Miracle, so that's what in the cards for the next three days due to my FB challenge!

summer means fireflys

Sharing the house with Petra and Sophi today, I'm wearing Creed Jasmal. (Thank you kumquat for the sample!) I don't know what is different about me, but suddenly I'm liking florals like this more and more. Maybe it's a Spring thing?

Enjoy your weekend, everyone!

Basenotes Plus

What a fun thread today - between Petra Ichor's role as a robins fairy godmother, mysticknots's eau de garlic carnal flower, and Kumquat's choice of that georgoues John Singer Sargeant- In addition to all the beautiful smells. What more could you ask for?
    Phooey on folks who don't like the personal stuff in the SOTD. I LOVE it! (the men's forum version is usually so DRY. They should just have a chart and everyone tics off a box)

I am happy to have travelled home to cool coastal weather after the heat (both temp- wise and political -wise in Phoenix).

SOTD: very light application of Kenneth Cole.
    Last edited by knit at nite; 9th May 2010 at 12:58 AM.

Saks 5th Avenue Pour Homme by Bond No.9
    Gary

My SOTD was TDC Jasmine de Nuit. Ended the day in tons of stuff as I went sniffing at the Perfume Shoppe and tried tons of fragrances. It was fun!!

I'm having such an awesome anniversary weekend! Today we went to the coast. The weather was sooo beautiful and warm! We had a picnic on the beach, did a little shopping and antiquing, and finished with a nice dinner.
    I was bit by the vintage bug again, but I didn't find anything beyond uninteresting (to me) Avons and Guerlain factices. I did, however, pick up a cute little silver and marcasite ring.

Sotd is Alien.

Hi to Warum and Lyndy Hop! I love that the Pacific Northwest contingent of BNers is growing. Perhaps a meetup at the Perfume House sometime is in order!
    Last edited by Sunnyfunny; 9th May 2010 at 04:31 AM. Reason: uerjh

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I loved the story about the baby robin!

The estate sale held this weekend at Mom's house is over; the house is empty now and ready for our Realtor to find a tenant. Mom is adjusting slowly. She's starting to get involved in crochet/knitting groups and goes to pool and land exercise classes. I see her 5-6 days a week. Life is busy.

Ended the day in tons of stuff as I went sniffing at the Perfume Shoppe and tried tons of fragrances. It was fun!!
    I hope we'll hear more about these samplings.

Burberry Brit EDP for a cool Autumn day.