Code of Conduct

Default I thought that frag bombed?! Frags w/ strange regional success

I just thought it would be interesting to hear from members of various countries who have fragrances that sell well there that may not sell well in other large markets.

I know there are a number of frags that sell well in Europe that have essentially no presence here: 1 Million, Fahrenheit Absolute, the Dali frags, etc.

I realize that we may not all realize what isn't selling elsewhere, so I urge people to post frags that they simply *think* aren't selling well elsewhere; it's ok if we make a few mistakes with our guesses. Alternatively, feel free to ask, "Is Frag X selling well, anywhere?"

So, I'm curious - is Davidoff Adventure or Hugo XY selling well, anywhere? It seems they were pulled off the market here in the midwest US almost immediately, and yet both of them - especially Adventure - have flankers. I figure they must be selling, somewhere!

Some people may be interested to know that RL Romance for Men still sells well locally, as does Polo Explorer - two frags that I wouldn't shed a tear over if they were discontinued tomorrow!
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 8th May 2010 at 08:26 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Default Re: I thought that frag bombed?! Frags w/ strange regional success

In Australia, Adventure is everywhere and seems to be selling well, including Amazonia. Ditto for Hugo XY.
    There is NO sign of Fahrenheit Absolute at all, nor Varvatos Artisan. I had to get Artisan from FragranceX and I'm still waiting to get my hands on Fahrenheit Absolute.
    I agree about Polo Explorer. I did a blind buy on a small bottle because it was dirt cheap, which is unusual for Polo fragrances over here. Now I know why.

Similar here in Germany, Adventure incl. flankers going strong, similar with (the comparably good designer) HUgo Boss XY.
    No Artisan, no dali, no Gendarme, no Zirh.

What about Avon in the US?

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Good thread SoS.
    I happen to enjoy RL Polo Explorer and Hugo XY but I wouldn't miss them if they're gone tomorrow. I've tried Davidoff Adventure and found it underwhelming for the given moniker. I've seen John Varvatos making appearances at discount counters too. That these 2 houses are just not as well marketed as the Ralph Laurens or Armanis could well be a reason behind their poor sales. Fahrenheit Absolute is not even on the Dior shelves!

Annick Goutal seems to be regarded as a niche fragance line on Basenotes, but here it's a mainstream line ( though some of my favorites, like Sables, aren't sold, Mandragore and Eau de Hadrien are common ).

Blog Entries

The only frag that I smell here daily on men walking down the street is Fierce. Always. To the point where it's headturningly surprising to smell any cologne on a man other than Fierce (outside of the stores where the SA's wear whatever's new and the occasional gay bar with stylish guys wearing more interesting scents).

I'd been collecting designer scents for years before discovering BN and there are two that are mentioned here all the time that I'd never seen in stores or even heard of before reading about them here: Geurlain Vetiver and Terre d'Hermes. They have them at Sephora here, but no where else. I've never ever ever ever smelled them on anyone, but people here write about them like they're huge hits. Where??
    Last edited by rogalal; 8th May 2010 at 10:27 PM.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

I thought I smelled Terre d'Hermes on a man the other day, but it may have been something else that is rather orangey, like Adventure or something. If it was TdH, it hadn't yet reached the flinty stage.

Even on campus I rarely smell frags on guys. It's kind of disappointing, actually.

And Timaru - Avon in the US? Well, as far as I know their presence here is probably stronger than in many places but the only way to really be introduced to Avon products is through the direct-sell method - they aren't available in any brick and mortar stores - and hence most people's exposure to Avon fragrances is non-existent. I still own and sometimes enjoy Avon's Mesmerize, though - a strange but interesting oriental.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Terre d'Hermes and Guerlain Vetiver are carried at the local drugstore, so they're fairly common fragrances. Even though I can't say I remember smelling either on a local, someone must be buying them for a small pharmacy in a blue-collar area to carry them.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I thought I smelled Terre d'Hermes on a man the other day, but it may have been something else that is rather orangey, like Adventure or something. If it was TdH, it hadn't yet reached the flinty stage.

Even on campus I rarely smell frags on guys. It's kind of disappointing, actually.

And Timaru - Avon in the US? Well, as far as I know their presence here is probably stronger than in many places but the only way to really be introduced to Avon products is through the direct-sell method - they aren't available in any brick and mortar stores - and hence most people's exposure to Avon fragrances is non-existent. I still own and sometimes enjoy Avon's Mesmerize, though - a strange but interesting oriental.
    How naive of me, I thought Avon was an exclusively US phenomenon. Ugh, I'm so tired of those damn flyers being passed around from women to women and all ending up with me. Why!? Why, do they only have WOMEN's scent strips, or scratch and sniffs? Why no men's?
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Azzaro Pour Homme = big seller in Europe not here in the US

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    You can add Paco Rabanne PH to that list.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

In the Southern Cone (Chile - Argentina - Uruguay) Davidoff Adventure is not sold anymore; Guerlain used to be a very strong brand localy but it has not been present for the last ten / fifteen years, so I would say it is almost non-existant. This means getting the classics is a difficult task, for you will be able to get the left overs of past stocks only at certain stockists.

The strong brands are the usual global ones marketed by the big cosmetic multinationals mostly through their representatives / distributors or their subsidiaries: Coty, InterParfum, LVMH, L'Oreal, etc. Now, ther prices are high and due to diminished purchasing power due to the big crisis back in 2001, there are companies producing for the local and foreign market, both own versions of succesful brands as well as their own blends, some of them forgettable, some of them good but not along the lines of the French school at all, IMO due to the fact they resort to essences developed by the usual corporations. So you smell a lot of perfumes as per to what is in fashion nowadays: 1 Million and Armani Code are a huge succes among youngsters, while grown ups prefer classics like Givenchy Gentleman, Paco Rabbane pour Homme and XS, Polo Ralph Lauren, Dior's Fahrenhet and Cool Water. Direct marketing companies like Avon, L'Bel and others are manufacturing blends for those unwillig to pay high prices, albeit the pricing options are quite different between companies - Avon sells inexpensive scents while L'Bel charges them according to a premium price policy due to the fact that they have been developed by prestigious perfumists from France (and you can tell that from the way they smell: one of their brands smells like an imporved version of B*Men, so you might as well know what to do when this becomes impossible to find).

Bond Nš 9, Creed and Anick Goutal were introduced in 2009, but unfortunately, stockists sell only the contemporary blends: that means Baies de Genievre and Bois de Portugal are no available, but GIT and Himalaya are. The same with Duel, Mandragore and Nuits d'Hadriene, but Sables and Les Orientalists are not available.

Forget about niche / artisan perfumists. The concept is being used as a sales argument by a couple of companies, but the products sold under this concept are far from being so for they are good quality versions of expensive designer's scents. This makes me wonder when it will be the time independent perfumists will be able and capable of launching their own creations, plus the fact that the availability of native oils would be a wonderful option to offer original and creative blends.
    Last edited by Pollux; 9th May 2010 at 03:33 AM.

Not many people I encounter on a daily basis wear anything. Occasionally, I encounter the suffocating scent that Abercrombie & Fitch stores smell like (Fierce?) and stuff that I am pretty sure is from Victoria's Secret.

I wish more women I knew wore perfume.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Why, do they only have WOMEN's scent strips, or scratch and sniffs? Why no men's?
    They used to have a men's sample set for the Avon (Lady) reps to take around: Bay Rum, Blue Blazer, Island Lime, Leather, Tribute, plus Original After Shave, Spicy After Shave. The set I have was my mother's, so it predates the release of Wild Country.

Then again, when you consider that most of them were inoffensive enough for the average husband or son, and the decanters were nice to have by themselves, the male offerings were pretty safe blind buys. No need for scent strips.

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    I agree. And I think that the Jil Sander line sells more widely in Europe than here in the U.S. Years ago, I used to get our European guys who were coming to the U.S. for meetings to bring me the most popular fragrance in their countries. They brought Azzaro, from an Italian rep, and Jil Sander, from a German rep. At the time, I had never heard of either of them.