Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Bath & Body Works New Signature Collection for Men

I tried Citron today. The drydown seems extremely similar to Polo Double Black.

After having lived with the fragrances for a week, I am somewhat surprised by my reaction. I bought the eau de toilette rather than the body spray because, sampling in the store, the eau de toilette seemed to have brighter top notes. I also could not resist the glass bottles with the different silk-screened designs on the back. The shape of the bottles remind me a little of Commes des Garcons; does anyone else think so?

I thought that Citron would be my favorite, but it has not turned out that way. It has even less lasting power than most citrus fragrances, and the base notes sort of overwhelm the citrus top notes even in the beginning. It's not bad, and it may end up growing on me, but I expected to like it better.

My previous impression of Oak was spot-on. At times, I get the spicy dry-down of Halston Z-14; at other times, it's more like the chocolate gourmand quality of A*Men. Interesting, unique, and complex for a mall cologne. A little hard to wear, though; too much and it wears you instead.

Last week's sale was buy-2-get-1-free, so I chose Noir as my free one. I agonized over whether to get a backup bottle of Oak or Citron instead, because I had not really been impressed by Noir at first. I eventually decided to try Noir for variety's sake, and I am glad that I did. Sure, everyone these days is doing a fresh-plus-sweet, vanilla-plus-coriander thing and calling it Noir or Black. But apparently that's because it really works in a versatile way. Not too heavy for the office, reminds me of some kind of chai or cappuccino drink.

What I learned from this experiment is that the trial-size shower gels did not give a perfect indication of the fragrance. They helped me narrow down my choices, but they misled me a little, too, especially regarding Noir and Citron.

By the way, the Memorial Day sale this weekend is buy-3-get-3-free, which is basically half off, or $15 a bottle for the cologne. It appears to me from the web site that the deal is mix-and-match with the regular Signature line. Finally, some equal rights for guys from the Bath & Body Works folks!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    By the way, the Memorial Day sale this weekend is buy-3-get-3-free, which is basically half off, or $15 a bottle for the cologne. It appears to me from the web site that the deal is mix-and-match with the regular Signature line. Finally, some equal rights for guys from the Bath & Body Works folks!
    Great observations - thanks for the report. I also got a lot more insight from spraying the EDTs on skin in the store than from the shower gels at home. And Noir did seem to be the winner for me. I may use that deal to get more Noir.

Blog Entries

I tried these last night. Looooove Oak!!! I got some body spray & shower gel. I tried all of them on my skin & Oak was the only one that really stood out at first. About 20 minutes later, I kept getting whiffs of something familar. It was Noir! On my skin, it smells eerily similar to Givenchy Pi. Has anyone else experienced this?
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Went there with the GF for Memorial Day sale 3-for-3. I picked up OAK, which is quite nice especially for the price. As others have said, it has a woody-sweet vibe, but with good longevity and smooth drydown. The others smelled a bit more generic to me, though I'd rate NOIR as the second best.
    Currently wearing: Open by Roger & Gallet

Quote Originally Posted by vulcan View Post
    What's wrong with testing on animals?
    Testing on animals so you can smell nice? Pretty much everything about that is wrong.

I have been struggling with Citron since I bought it a couple of weeks ago. It is as if the cologne and the trial-size body wash were two different fragrances. The body wash reminded me of Pacifica's Sandalwood fragrance: essentially lemon plus sandalwood. The cologne is something entirely different.

It took me a few days to discern that the citrus top notes are really grapefruit (not a citron). Then last night it occurred to me that the structure was basically grapefruit plus cedar, just like an old friend of mine, Avon's Perceive for Men. I would bet that both Bath & Body Works and Avon were probably inspired by some other fragrance. Does Citron smell similar to something else to anyone?

I purchased the dollar shower gels in the whole line just for fun.....If I were just starting out in this fragrance business.....I would purchase a couple if not all of these.....I like them better than the Bigelow scents!!!
    Gary

I tried Citron, which was very good and a potential buy. I hated Oak - way too sweet for me, and not woody at all from what I could smell.

Bigelow's Elixir Green is horrible IMO (smells vinegary), but White is decent and Black is good, though not my style.

Have any of you tried BBW's "Classic" from the same line? I sampled it yesterday, but I also had like three other frags sprayed on the same arm, so I'm not sure I got a good read on it. I'm interested in your takes on that one.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    Have any of you tried BBW's "Classic" from the same line? I sampled it yesterday, but I also had like three other frags sprayed on the same arm, so I'm not sure I got a good read on it. I'm interested in your takes on that one.
    I have been wearing that one, and there is something vaguely Axe-y and Ambercrombie-y about it to me.

Classic smells amazing! Love love it

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    I have been wearing that one, and there is something vaguely Axe-y and Ambercrombie-y about it to me.
    You know, I did smell something that reminded me a little of a generic body wash in there, but I wasn't sure if it was due to olfactory fatigue. What I smelled also reminded me a bit of Perry Ellis Portfolio Elite, which is a scent I love. I'm going to have to give this another try, considering blacklibran's accolades.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

I'm thinking about taking advantage of the buy 2 get 1 free sale at BBW by trying Elixir Gold and Black Pepper. I recall a few members saying that the body sprays smell better than the EDT. Can anyone weigh in on this? I'd also like to hear thoughts on the fragrances in general. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Amerioca da Gema View Post
    I recall a few members saying that the body sprays smell better than the EDT. Can anyone weigh in on this?
    My personal preference is the EDT. I thought that the body sprays were too short-lived.

BBW scents and lotions are fine... On sale! Never pay the outrageous regular price and Google for coupons to make their sales better. $29.50 for the colognes is overpriced, but I rarely see sales that don't require multiple bottle purchases to save. So I stick to the lotions generally.

I like Oak the best, but only in cooler weather. The Bigelow line is not as aggressively priced and most of it is stuff you have smelled already elsewhere. Some also smell cheap and old school. Always test first!