Code of Conduct

Default Bath & Body Works New Signature Collection for Men

Bath & Body Works will be introducing a new men's line, Signature Collection for Men. Travel-size shower gels are available in all four fragrances for one dollar each. I tried each fragrance, and I am anticipating the introduction of the full line of products.

Ocean's notes are "bergamot, cypress, nutmeg, patchouli, cedarwood and vetiver." Ocean smells pleasant, and I predict that it will be the most popular of the four. However, it is the one that interested me the least. It has an indistinct, white-noise background similar to many Axe products, I suppose from the combination of bergamot, cedar, and vetiver. (As an aside, I wonder if future generations will refer to that structure in the same manner that we speak of chypre today.)

Noir's notes are "sage, coriander, cardamom, white vanilla, vetiver and amber musk." Noir smells much like you would expect a fragrance called "noir" to smell. If you have smelled any designer "noir" fragrances, this is a similar combination of sweet and fresh, perhaps not as sweet as most. I would wear this one gladly if I were given it for a gift, but, for instance, the C.O. Bigelow Barber Elixir Black is better done.

Citron's notes are "crisp bergamot, sage, lemon zest, brisk woods, tonka bean and sandalwood." When I smelled the shower gel in the bottle, I thought that this fragrance was Ocean with a little more lemon. However, when it lathers up, it really blooms. Citrus plus sandalwood may not be a revolutionary accord, but it really fills a niche for me.

Oak's notes are "juniper, cedarwood, clove, patchouli, sandalwood, coffee and musk." Oak is easily my favorite. It is a spicy, leathery, woody powerhouse like Halston Z-14's college-age illegitimate son. Probably not most people's cup of tea, but definitely mine.

Has anyone else tried these fragrances? What do you think?

http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/prod...ductId=4097372

http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/prod...ductId=4097373

http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/prod...ductId=4097374

http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/prod...ductId=4097375
    Last edited by Advocate; 8th May 2010 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Eliminate unnecessary white space

Default Re: Bath & Body Works New Signature Collection for Men

i prchased just the NOIR and the OCEAN form BBW in New Orleans... I love the Noir.. its smell smooth and a bit spicy, which is how i want to smell as a man. The Ocean is ok but for something called OCEAN yo would think it would smell mor aquatic. I havent had the chance to smell the OAK im looking forwand to it.

Bath and Body Works engage in animal testing (they say *finished product* not tested on animals--that means the ingredients are tested on animals), so I much prefer the line of Jack Black.

The Blue Mark Eau de Parfum is a great scent for men, and the shaving line is excellent. Bergamot, watermint and juniper.

http://www.getjackblack.com/jb/catal...ragrance&loc=c
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I bought the shower gels for Ocean, Noir, and Citron, and look forward greatly to Oak. I'm a fan of the Bigelow line - particularly Black and White. (Incidentally, White rivals Hermès Eau de Pamplemousse Rose, to which it is (by my nose) clearly similar.) I see similarities to the original 4 Bigelow scents - Blue, Black, Green and Red - if only conceptual for green and red, but definitely for blue and black.

Just from the shower gel, I find Ocean to be one of the better aquatics I've tried - it has just enough spice and citrus behind it to come in closer to Bulgari Aqua than to more run-of-the-mill aquatics. I probably won't buy it, but it got my attention. Noir is nice, and though it seems less oudy than Black, I found it more complex, and I look forward to trying the fragrance. Citron is too weak for me, but I blame it on the nose, and also need to test this as the full fragrance. And oak? MUST TRY. Couldn't get the gel.

I'm very curious who the nose is behind these. Is it Harry Slatkin, in some role? Not sure if BBW and Slatkin and all the rest of those allied companies share noses or not. But this seems to fit in with BBW's continued upscale trend. I've noticed that a number of the more unisex and feminine scents are much more polished than their earlier ones. I'm just shy of being a fan of Twilight Woods. Call me heretic, but that one has moments that remind me of some of the better "modern" Guerlain feminines. I sort of slap myself and snap out of it, but if this keeps up, but who knows? We may get some serious niche out of these folks at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Bath and Body Works engage in animal testing (they say *finished product* not tested on animals--that means the ingredients are tested on animals), so I much prefer the line of Jack Black.
    Feel free to shop at Bath & Body Works without any moral qualms whatsoever. Whoever told you about Bath & Body Works' animal testing did not know what he or she was talking about.

From the Bath & Body Works site: "We believe all living creatures deserve respect and would never think of testing any of our products on animals. Likewise, we don't ask anyone who may be helping us develop or make our products to conduct these kinds of tests on our behalf."

http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/help...anDriven=yes#5

That is not just corporate bull, either. Animal-rights group PETA awarded Bath & Body Works its 2007 "Proggy" award for Best Animal-Friendly Retailer.

http://www.peta.org/feat/proggy/2007/winners.asp

This blog explains where the confusion may have come from. Apparently, under UK labeling laws, they must say that the finished product was not tested on animals. For most of the ingredients in personal hygiene products, some company, some where, at some time, has tested it on animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I see similarities to the original 4 Bigelow scents - Blue, Black, Green and Red - if only conceptual for green and red, but definitely for blue and black.

Just from the shower gel, I find Ocean to be one of the better aquatics I've tried - it has just enough spice and citrus behind it to come in closer to Bulgari Aqua than to more run-of-the-mill aquatics.

I'm very curious who the nose is behind these. Is it Harry Slatkin, in some role? But this seems to fit in with BBW's continued upscale trend.
    I agree with you about the similarity between the Signature Collection for Men and the C. O. Bigelow Barber Elixir line. I think that there must be some corporate strategy white paper that says that four is the ideal number of choices to present to men, and that the universe of men's fragrance breaks down into aquatic/sweet/citrus/spicy.

I will have to try Bulgari Aqua in light of your comparison. Ocean struck me as similar to something, but I couldn't put my finger on it.

I believe that Bath & Body Works' fragrances are outsourced to one of the big fragrance firms. Harry Slatkin seems to me to have no function other than to get on QVC and act over-the-top.

I also agree with you that Bath & Body Works has been striving to go up-market in the last year or two. I think that they are jealous of the higher prices and better margins that Estee Lauder and Lancome command, and they want to head in that direction. The new fragrances are more abstract, more consciously "on-trend," and prices are creeping up, too.

I have not tried these, though I have Oak shower gel on the way. However, I have a related question: does this mean the other B&BW Men's scents are going away: Glacier Bay, Woodland, etc? I might have to grab a couple if so.

Regards,
    T

My Wardrobe:
    Yves St. Laurent Live Jazz
    Comme des Garcons Vettiveru
    Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man

What's wrong with testing on animals?

Quote Originally Posted by TBoner View Post
    I have not tried these, though I have Oak shower gel on the way. However, I have a related question: does this mean the other B&BW Men's scents are going away: Glacier Bay, Woodland, etc? I might have to grab a couple if so.

Regards,
    T
    The assistant manager of my local store says that the older line will be discontinued, and that there should be some bargains to be had at semi-annual sale time. However, that word is unofficial, so take it for what it's worth.

Post Thanks / Like

I just ordered all four of the gels. I mean $1, come on! I'm looking forward to the Oak and Noir. I'm glad to hear that they're animal friendly, too!

Thank you for letting us know about the $1 a gel deal. I went to B&B and got some of those gels.
    I only tried the Oak for now, but I like it!
    --- If your dog thinks you are the greatest person
    in the world, don't seek a second opinion ---

CITRON is pure heaven... loves it. a smooth citrus spicy blend..actually beeter than ELIXIR WHITE from C.O. Bigelow

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I tell you, if these are anything like the Bigelow scents, I'll be all over them. I just hope that the men's advertising isn't as tacky as the women's. I roll my eyes at stuff like "the sexys" and "the cuddlers" - I can just see it now.... "the ruggeds" and "the seducers". BLECH!

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    The assistant manager of my local store says that the older line will be discontinued, and that there should be some bargains to be had at semi-annual sale time. However, that word is unofficial, so take it for what it's worth.
    Thanks for this information. I will keep an eye out for the sale. Some Woodland shower gel might be in order.

Meantime, I have all 4 of these new gels now. I really like Oak, as I suspected I would. The others all seem decent, Citron maybe better than decent, and I look forward to the arrival of the fragrances in store.

Regards,
    T

My Wardrobe:
    Yves St. Laurent Live Jazz
    Comme des Garcons Vettiveru
    Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man

Bought two bottles of Woodland today, because the manager said that it is not going to make a comeback. I have always loved that scent. They now have all of the sprays and colognes for the new line in Ohio. I sprayed Noir and Oak on different arms and they both dried down nicely. So far both have lasted almost 5 hours at the time that I'm posting this. The SA had a chart that showed "if you liked Woodland then you'll like Oak" it was definitely right! It compared Noir to mountain frost, I thought that Mountain Frost was OK, but Noir is a little better. There definitely is a "knockoff" feel to all four of them. Ocean smells like AQua Di Gio and Lacost essential mixed kind of. Citron I couldn't put my finger on, but will spray it on myself soon. Oak has a mix of Polo Double black and Calvin Klein's Obsession( I know that sounds weird, but it works) it has that Obsession(Woodland Kind of Knocked off Obsession)spicy oriental feel, but with a vanilla, and coffee addition to it. Noir has a Burberry Touch Meets Drakaar, meets Armani Code(still working on this one) Overall they all seem good, but if you want woodland or you enjoyed the "coolwater" knockoff "Cool Spring", then I would buy that stuff up.

Feel free to shop at Bath & Body Works without any moral qualms whatsoever. Whoever told you about Bath & Body Works' animal testing did not know what he or she was talking about.

From the Bath & Body Works site: "We believe all living creatures deserve respect and would never think of testing any of our products on animals. Likewise, we don't ask anyone who may be helping us develop or make our products to conduct these kinds of tests on our behalf."

http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/help...anDriven=yes#5

That is not just corporate bull, either. Animal-rights group PETA awarded Bath & Body Works its 2007 "Proggy" award for Best Animal-Friendly Retailer.

http://www.peta.org/feat/proggy/2007/winners.asp

This blog explains where the confusion may have come from. Apparently, under UK labeling laws, they must say that the finished product was not tested on animals. For most of the ingredients in personal hygiene products, some company, some where, at some time, has tested it on animals.
    Thank you for the update. I know the line of Canus Goat Milk toiletries have this labeling, too, although some people will say ANY animal ingredient is not acceptable, including honey.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by damageinc View Post
    They now have all of the sprays and colognes for the new line in Ohio.

There definitely is a "knockoff" feel to all four of them.
    You got me so excited! I think that the official roll-out date was supposed to be May 27, but they usually do quietly bring things out a few days early if they have enough shipment in. I called my local store and was told that they were not available now, but that (all?) of the full-size products will be available on Saturday. Some of the full-size products are available this evening on the web site (they weren't there before I went to go work out): http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/prod...ductId=4004118

And the good news for me is that they are buy 3 get 2 or buy 2 get 1, just like the regular Signature line! Finally, men are getting some equal treatment!

I agree with you that Cool Spring == Cool Water and Woodland == Obsession. Not that there's anything wrong with that, if there's a bargain to be had. I also agree with you that the new line has a kind of . . . shall we say "familiar" air about it.

None of the new four remind me too strongly of anything I have smelled, though there is a lot I haven't smelled.

From using the shower gels (and ignoring descriptions from the company), my rough estimations of the scents are:

Ocean - mostly tart apple, melon, "water," and shampoo

Citron - prominent citrus (lemon?) and mint, with a bit of spice. Just as much mint as citrus to my nose.

Noir - ethereal, somewhat sugary amber and a bit of anise

Oak - smooth and fairly sweet combo of cedar, amber, and non-powdery vanilla

I have really enjoyed the Citron and Oak shower gels. I don't like the apple or shampoo in the ocean scent and noir bores the crap out of me. Of course, I am no kind of expert at this.
    Last edited by Big_Scooter; 20th May 2010 at 04:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Scooter View Post
    Ocean - mostly tart apple, melon, "water," and shampoo
    Citron - prominent citrus (lemon?) and mint, with a bit of spice. Just as much mint as citrus to my nose.
    Noir - ethereal, somewhat sugary amber and a bit of anise
    Oak - smooth and fairly sweet combo of cedar, amber, and non-powdery vanilla
    I think that your impressions are perceptive and probably quite accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by vulcan View Post
    I will assume that you're joking.
    Last edited by WindyCity1014; 20th May 2010 at 07:51 PM.
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

i adore the NOIR!! i also love CITRON and OAK i was able to purchase everything in the line early thanks to being very goodlooking and nice to the ladies at the store..they practically break their neck to help me..too bad im gay....lol just being playful..butreally i am feeling te OCEAN in the cologne form but it does have a generic dry down..will be returning it for the NOIR ...i also love all the scents in the shower gel form. KUDOS to BBW

So, what are your opinions about eau de toilette v. body spray? With the sale going on, I could get five body sprays for about half the price of three bottles of EDT. I know that the EDT would be more concentrated, but do you think that the body sprays would smell just as good? My opinion of the regular signature collection marketed to women is that the body sprays are good enough.

Post Thanks / Like

I liked the Oak the best as well. If they get the full sizes in soon I will pick it up for my husband

I like NOIR the best..but i feel thisline is only amazing in shower gel and body spray form. The EDT are kinda second rate

I went to B&BW to pick up a bottle of Woodland and got confirmation that it is being phased out

I did check out the new signature scents and really like Oak the edt is very long lasting like all of B&BW products, I picked up a spray and got a full sized shower gel for free.

Next is to try Noir which they did not have in stock yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I tried all the EDTs today on skin and paper. Unfortunately, the wife is not a fan of ANY of them, so I'm on my own if I want to purchase. Seemed like they were rolling out the old stock of the discontinued ones as well.

I found the Noir to have the greatest projection and longevity. All 4 seem much more complex, dynamic, and controlled than the earlier women's scents. There is substantial change right away as the topnotes burn down. I found that they had interesting pairings of effects. Ocean was both spicy and aquatic, with enough emphasis on spicy notes to make it a non-clone of other spicy aquatics that I like. Both Noir and Oak had powdery notes, early in the development, that surprised me. And Citron's herbal and green notes were very good up front.

I like them all, frankly. Nothing earth-shattering and must-have, but all of them quite competent and interesting.

None of them seemed to shout "buy me" on topnotes alone. But all of them grew very nice on skin with just a bit of dry down. I was sniffing my arms all afternoon. I'm sure that I'll eventually get one of them. Or definitely all 4 if they ever offer the travel size, like they do for the women's line.

I bought these for my b/f and he's enjoying them. I enjoyed Ocean and Citron on his skin. I think for the price these are quite sophisticated and I'd go back for more.

I think that BBW does a much better job of being unisex than most other "main stream" brands like it. Yes, they still market to men and women separately with many product lines, but they have a very subtle middle ground that many, many companies do not. For example their rainkissed leaves and dancing waters are completely unisex and the associates in stores are frequently told to suggest them for men.

They are definitely not as unisex as many niche houses or anything, I agree. But for a mainstream company I find their slow progress towards unisex scents quite refreshing and I hope they keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by onceling View Post
    For example their rainkissed leaves and dancing waters are completely unisex and the associates in stores are frequently told to suggest them for men.
    I like those scents, but I like White Citrus even better. What do you think of White Citrus?

I like those scents, but I like White Citrus even better. What do you think of White Citrus?
    I agree, and had totally forgotten about White Citrus since running out of their foaming soap last month. It's better than the 2 I mentioned, and one of their best releases in the last couple of years. It's used liberally in lotion and gel in this household, and I think it smells great on skin of any gender.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried them yesterday. Oak smelled really nice long term, but I think I liked Citron the best. The other two were OK. I probably won't be getting any of them. I wonder if they will do well.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried Citron today. The drydown seems extremely similar to Polo Double Black.

After having lived with the fragrances for a week, I am somewhat surprised by my reaction. I bought the eau de toilette rather than the body spray because, sampling in the store, the eau de toilette seemed to have brighter top notes. I also could not resist the glass bottles with the different silk-screened designs on the back. The shape of the bottles remind me a little of Commes des Garcons; does anyone else think so?

I thought that Citron would be my favorite, but it has not turned out that way. It has even less lasting power than most citrus fragrances, and the base notes sort of overwhelm the citrus top notes even in the beginning. It's not bad, and it may end up growing on me, but I expected to like it better.

My previous impression of Oak was spot-on. At times, I get the spicy dry-down of Halston Z-14; at other times, it's more like the chocolate gourmand quality of A*Men. Interesting, unique, and complex for a mall cologne. A little hard to wear, though; too much and it wears you instead.

Last week's sale was buy-2-get-1-free, so I chose Noir as my free one. I agonized over whether to get a backup bottle of Oak or Citron instead, because I had not really been impressed by Noir at first. I eventually decided to try Noir for variety's sake, and I am glad that I did. Sure, everyone these days is doing a fresh-plus-sweet, vanilla-plus-coriander thing and calling it Noir or Black. But apparently that's because it really works in a versatile way. Not too heavy for the office, reminds me of some kind of chai or cappuccino drink.

What I learned from this experiment is that the trial-size shower gels did not give a perfect indication of the fragrance. They helped me narrow down my choices, but they misled me a little, too, especially regarding Noir and Citron.

By the way, the Memorial Day sale this weekend is buy-3-get-3-free, which is basically half off, or $15 a bottle for the cologne. It appears to me from the web site that the deal is mix-and-match with the regular Signature line. Finally, some equal rights for guys from the Bath & Body Works folks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

By the way, the Memorial Day sale this weekend is buy-3-get-3-free, which is basically half off, or $15 a bottle for the cologne. It appears to me from the web site that the deal is mix-and-match with the regular Signature line. Finally, some equal rights for guys from the Bath & Body Works folks!
    Great observations - thanks for the report. I also got a lot more insight from spraying the EDTs on skin in the store than from the shower gels at home. And Noir did seem to be the winner for me. I may use that deal to get more Noir.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I tried these last night. Looooove Oak!!! I got some body spray & shower gel. I tried all of them on my skin & Oak was the only one that really stood out at first. About 20 minutes later, I kept getting whiffs of something familar. It was Noir! On my skin, it smells eerily similar to Givenchy Pi. Has anyone else experienced this?
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Post Thanks / Like

Went there with the GF for Memorial Day sale 3-for-3. I picked up OAK, which is quite nice especially for the price. As others have said, it has a woody-sweet vibe, but with good longevity and smooth drydown. The others smelled a bit more generic to me, though I'd rate NOIR as the second best.

Quote Originally Posted by vulcan View Post
    Testing on animals so you can smell nice? Pretty much everything about that is wrong.

I have been struggling with Citron since I bought it a couple of weeks ago. It is as if the cologne and the trial-size body wash were two different fragrances. The body wash reminded me of Pacifica's Sandalwood fragrance: essentially lemon plus sandalwood. The cologne is something entirely different.

It took me a few days to discern that the citrus top notes are really grapefruit (not a citron). Then last night it occurred to me that the structure was basically grapefruit plus cedar, just like an old friend of mine, Avon's Perceive for Men. I would bet that both Bath & Body Works and Avon were probably inspired by some other fragrance. Does Citron smell similar to something else to anyone?

I purchased the dollar shower gels in the whole line just for fun.....If I were just starting out in this fragrance business.....I would purchase a couple if not all of these.....I like them better than the Bigelow scents!!!
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

I tried Citron, which was very good and a potential buy. I hated Oak - way too sweet for me, and not woody at all from what I could smell.

Bigelow's Elixir Green is horrible IMO (smells vinegary), but White is decent and Black is good, though not my style.

Have any of you tried BBW's "Classic" from the same line? I sampled it yesterday, but I also had like three other frags sprayed on the same arm, so I'm not sure I got a good read on it. I'm interested in your takes on that one.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    Have any of you tried BBW's "Classic" from the same line? I sampled it yesterday, but I also had like three other frags sprayed on the same arm, so I'm not sure I got a good read on it. I'm interested in your takes on that one.
    I have been wearing that one, and there is something vaguely Axe-y and Ambercrombie-y about it to me.

Classic smells amazing! Love love it

Post Thanks / Like

I have been wearing that one, and there is something vaguely Axe-y and Ambercrombie-y about it to me.
    You know, I did smell something that reminded me a little of a generic body wash in there, but I wasn't sure if it was due to olfactory fatigue. What I smelled also reminded me a bit of Perry Ellis Portfolio Elite, which is a scent I love. I'm going to have to give this another try, considering blacklibran's accolades.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

I'm thinking about taking advantage of the buy 2 get 1 free sale at BBW by trying Elixir Gold and Black Pepper. I recall a few members saying that the body sprays smell better than the EDT. Can anyone weigh in on this? I'd also like to hear thoughts on the fragrances in general. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Amerioca da Gema View Post
    I recall a few members saying that the body sprays smell better than the EDT. Can anyone weigh in on this?
    My personal preference is the EDT. I thought that the body sprays were too short-lived.

Post Thanks / Like

BBW scents and lotions are fine... On sale! Never pay the outrageous regular price and Google for coupons to make their sales better. $29.50 for the colognes is overpriced, but I rarely see sales that don't require multiple bottle purchases to save. So I stick to the lotions generally.

I like Oak the best, but only in cooler weather. The Bigelow line is not as aggressively priced and most of it is stuff you have smelled already elsewhere. Some also smell cheap and old school. Always test first!