Code of Conduct

Default What do you think of Frapin 1270?

I am thinking of getting Frapin 1270 as I enjoyed it when I tested it (probably 4 times), but would like to hear the others opinions on it.

Default Re: What do you think of Frapin 1270?

I think it's amazing, and the best gourmand I've ever smelled. Get it, it's great stuff!
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

The best, raisinious, cognaccy, sweet, delicious, seductive little vineyard I have ever smelled.
    If i had the money, I'd go for it in a heartbeat.
    Awesome stuff.

Basenotes Institution

I LOVE Frapin 1270 - it's one I have been meaning to get a full bottle of. It's everything Timaru said - rich ,delish ,cognaccy ,smooth ...yum ! Great stuff.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I have never heard the word "cognaccy" before, but yes, it is!

I agree with the above about richness and all. I will add one other thing: an underlying earthiness that feels very realistic to me.

Default What do you think of Frapin 1270?

I agree with all said so far! You have to be in the mood for its sweetness, but if you are, it's wonderful.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

A fantastic scent.

I think it's the best fragrance of the Frapin range and it reminds me of a toned down version of Amouge's Jubilation XXV. It's sweet and stays close to the skin and good to wear when you feel Jubilation is a bit to much in its projection. A worthy purchase.

any other thoughts on this???

i'm kinda getting an AMen Pure Malt feeling from it, but this is much less loud and more refined. i like my sample so far

I think it's great and I sense a similarity to Mauboussin and Idole de Lubin.

I kind of agree with the previous comments, except for one thing: I wouldn't wear it. It is so gourmand, so cognac-ish that I can't see myself wearing it in public. But this might be just my personal feeling, the juice itself if really great.

I smpled this one, together with Malle`s Musc Ravageur. I was never dubious of which of them I should pick. M-R was my choice. I like spicy sweet scents, but 1270 was just too sweet for my taste. If you like 1270, i will also recommend you to test Eau d`Italie Baume du Doge, that is a fantastic spicy, sweet, warm delicious scent.

Frapin 1270 should get a lot more attention around here! WOW... okay so after spending some more time sampling this, I must say I'm struck. I just clicked "buy now". Full bottle worthy - absolutley!

Here's the notes list:
    exotic woods, spice, raisin, vine flowers, pepper, candied orange, nut, hazelnut, prune, cocoa, coffee, leather, woods, white honey, vanilla

To address the sweetness. I'll say I'm not big on sweet fragrances. They feel to 'young', and I'm only 26 and I feel most of them are a bit childish. I've always steared away from them. This however, while somewhat sweet, inspires confidence, instead of feeling self concious like other fragrances (Rochas Man/Bond New Harlem to name a few for example, I felt too girly).

This is sweet, but in a reserved/refined/spicy kinda way. Its a MUCH more dignified, polished Angel Pure Malt. I honestly don't even want to compare this to Pure Malt I feel its in an enitrley diff league.

I feel this is a masculine fragrance instead of unisex. While sweet, the exotic woods, spice, pepper and leather keep it in the masculine range to me.

Excellent fragrance. Masterpiece? I could see why Luckyscent said so.
    Last edited by md1grwl; 31st October 2010 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    I kind of agree with the previous comments, except for one thing: I wouldn't wear it. It is so gourmand, so cognac-ish that I can't see myself wearing it in public. But this might be just my personal feeling, the juice itself if really great.
    I would tend to agree if it maintained it's concentration from the first spray. But on my skin, it quickly mellows out into such a gorgeous and smooth mix.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I also find it odd that some find this sweet. I always thought I had a strong aversion to high sweetness, but Frapin 1270 never comes off as saccharine to my nose. Sure it's sweet, but nothing even remotely close to some other gourmands. In fact, to my nose, it comes off rather dry.

Absolutely love it but it's longevity isn't brilliant - that was the main deal-breaker, for me.

I would love to try the original formulation, though...

what designer fragrances are similar to frapin 1270 ?

1270 is great! It opens with a consistent cnadied orange note on a boozy / leather accord of rare charme. It's like seating in front of the fireplace on an old leather couch drinking cognac and eating Panettone at christmas. Smooth woods make their appreances in the drydown together with spices, dried fruits and vanilla for a confortable, reassuring, relaxing and absolutely fascinating affect

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

One of the Best Boozy - Vanila - Sweet , but easy to tired , take care sprayed to much ...
    for me 2 or 3 spray of this fragrance is too much.
    finally I tired on this fragrance after 2 years wearing .
    But I think is a 3.5 stars fragrance , complex and well balaced.
    Looking for Creed Spice & Wood / swap fragances , Creed Vingate Tabarome and more... http://www.basenotes.net/threads/374...me-Cuir-Beluga

Just sampled both 1270 and 1697 and what most members have said I find to be true, 1270 is better. Love this offering by Frapin and is on my to purchase next list.
    - Expect the unexpected

I was using 1270 almost on a nightly basis - that is, until I bought 1697. Now I have a hard time going back to 1270 (not that it's bad; just that 1697 is so much better imho).
    someone please stop me from buying more cologne.

top five: 1) Creed Vintage Tabarome 2) Creed Windsor 2) Serge Lutens Chergui 3) Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur 5) MFK Lumiére Noire Pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by neo_angel View Post
    Honestly? Nothing. It's very unique, at least to my nose.

I agree with most of the comments here. I own a bottle, and I find it perfect for evenings in sitting in front of the fire and reading a book. It smells of wine cellars, leather chairs and class. Sweet, but not cloyingly so. Beautiful. It also does not last as well as the notes would have you believe. But that is a small factor for me, as I wear it in the evenings as a comfort scent.

Quote Originally Posted by md1grwl View Post
    any other thoughts on this???

i'm kinda getting an AMen Pure Malt feeling from it, but this is much less loud and more refined. i like my sample so far
    +1. It reminded me a lot of pure malt, and less loud, but I'm not sure about more refined. Either way, I was surprised to find another fragrance that reminded me of Pure Malt
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Armani Prive Oud Royale_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud Musk______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire

Just an update since I am the original poster: yes, I bought 1270 and I still love it.

Any places in the UK where I can purchase this online or get a sample??? :P Sounds amazing!

Zubbbra, you can get it and samples from Les Senteurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Healer View Post
    Zubbbra, you can get it and samples from Les Senteurs.
    Really?? I swear I checked the website and couldn't see it on there :S I must be blind

Never mind, just saw it now! lol Frapin Et Cie, time to go sample shopping!

Quote Originally Posted by neo_angel
    Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Honestly? Nothing. It's very unique, at least to my nose.
    Im surprised I cant find any comparison like this on BN.
    I tried it out 3 days ago, one spray. The SA was telling me about the cognac etc.
    After an hour it had got to the drydown and it was bothering that I had smelled this before.

Then as I got home I realised where.
    M7.
    That "wine accord" I get in M7 is actually cognac.

This stuff made me say "wow" out loud today. It's THE gourmand and then some...

I'm so impressed with Frapin! I totally agree with md1grwl - a far better, far more refined Pure Malt!

And what about Passion Boisee? i have the chance to get it at bargain price, but i don't want to waste money.
    Any impressions about it? It would be a blind buy. I know 1270 but there was no stock when i tried to buy it.

Enjoyed the scent, but sits too close to the skin for me, but had good longevity.

Reminds me of a cross between Nicole Miller for men, and Sables AG. A little boozy, a little sweet, along with various hints of spices. Long lasting, and for me wears a little bit better in cooler weather.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Do you guys think this is a little bit mature for a 21yr old?
    I've read in reviews the plum note gives some youthfulness to it which sounds good, and the price seems like a good starting point for my first niche purchase.
    Do late teens - 20 year old girls enjoy the scent?
    or is frapin 1270 more of an acquired taste like musc ravageur and other niche lines?

No, absolutely suitable - BUT you need to try it.
    I, for one, dont consider MR a frag that is difficult to enjoy, either.

FWIW I own a bottle now, too, love it and am looking forward to cooler temperatures again as I cannot wear this during summer.
    Smellin good

Quote Originally Posted by crvn View Post
    Do you guys think this is a little bit mature for a 21yr old?
    I've read in reviews the plum note gives some youthfulness to it which sounds good, and the price seems like a good starting point for my first niche purchase.
    Do late teens - 20 year old girls enjoy the scent?
    or is frapin 1270 more of an acquired taste like musc ravageur and other niche lines?
    I am 21 and I think this is the perfect gourmand, better than Bond's NH and every Thierry Mugler I've smelled! I don't think this one has a specific age bracket, it can be appreciated and loved by all.
    Last edited by boosh; 13th September 2011 at 10:59 PM.

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll definitely try this when I get the chance.

I actually came across this fragrance when reading up on D&G The One and how they have similar scent and as I love the smell of The One but get weak projection, was trying to find a similar bottle. I don't know if the two share any similarities but the notes/review of 1270 makes it worth a look imo.

Ok, compared to Chergui, LDDM, or Coromandel, how much of a skin scent and how long lasting is it?

Since some have said it sits close to the skin would it be able to be worn in the summer?

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
    Ok, compared to Chergui, LDDM, or Coromandel, how much of a skin scent and how long lasting is it?
    finsfan, I've not smelled LDDM, but I own all the other three. Chergui lasts longer than 1270 and projects better for the first 4-6 hours then settles down. Coromandel is nuclear on me, with it not becoming a skin scent for around 8 hours. 1270 , I get about 4-5 hours, with all but the first 2 hours sitting fairly close to the skin. To me, it's worth it though. I use it for hanging around the house on cold, winter nights. I can reapply for day wear if I want.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to compare 1270 to these three?

This is the essence of what's terrible about Basenotes. Just when you think you've rounded out your collection, seen it all, smelled it all, bought it all, you run into rave reviews of yet another fragrance that sounds like heaven in a bottle. Of course I have to try it now. Thanks a lot, Basenoters. Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover thank you, too.

Hobbes, I am interested in the projection of 1270 and those are ones that on me, project like I want, and also they are especially long lived on me. There is a deal on a bottle for $115 shipped on the bay, and that is $35 cheaper than luckyscent. Was thinking of a blind buy

Hobbes, I am interested in the projection of 1270 and those are ones that on me, project like I want, and also they are especially long lived on me. There is a deal on a bottle for $115 shipped on the bay, and that is $35 cheaper than luckyscent. Was thinking of a blind buy
    Ah okay, those three represent your ideal longevity and projection. I thought maybe there was some common thread between them, like they were known as skin scents. Having just purchased Chergui blind, I was curious.

I just happened to try this today....and I really want it.

Basenotes Institution

I've already sampled this twice, today is the 2nd time.

Scents like these, in general, I am drawn towards because I love spicy, oriental, gourmand scents - that's why its easy for me to enjoy Lutens and other lines. However, it's a bit challenging to find the right CLIMATE to wear these kinds of scents here in S. Florida so I have avoided sampling this until now when we finally have some cool weather here in Miami.

I love everything about the scent. The transparent and yet rich and solid booziness. The sweet woods. A hint of fruit, not too syrupy. The way the scent intermingles with cold air, warm skin and fabric. And yet - it's not love. I respect it and appreciate what it's doing, but I am not falling for this and most likely I would not buy a decant or full bottle of this.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I've already sampled this twice, today is the 2nd time.

Scents like these, in general, I am drawn towards because I love spicy, oriental, gourmand scents - that's why its easy for me to enjoy Lutens and other lines. However, it's a bit challenging to find the right CLIMATE to wear these kinds of scents here in S. Florida so I have avoided sampling this until now when we finally have some cool weather here in Miami.

I love everything about the scent. The transparent and yet rich and solid booziness. The sweet woods. A hint of fruit, not too syrupy. The way the scent intermingles with cold air, warm skin and fabric. And yet - it's not love. I respect it and appreciate what it's doing, but I am not falling for this and most likely I would not buy a decant or full bottle of this.
    Well said ^^

I feel the same way. 1270 is what Pure Malt and The One could only hope to be. I really enjoy wearing this scent but my 10ml decant is as far as I'm going with this.

I like it too, especially the first few hours but if I were to choose it, I'd need more than a decant because it just doesn't have enough longevity for me. I could burn through 10-15ml of it in a week! It really needs to be over applied as well as sprayed on clothing to work well and then, it does work very well.

I was always curious about this one, but there appears to be a longevity problem. Bummer.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I agree. great scent as far as smell, and as to longevity, really poor. Decent projection for the first 2 to 3 hours to me

my first introduction to frapin was speakeasy and 1697....in all honesty I did not enjoy those fragrances at all..they seemed to "in your face" and bubbly and boozy...for some reason I decided to given this house another try and got my sample pack a few days ago from luckyscent...I received 1270, caravelle epicee, passion boisee, and L humaniste.....I did a quick test of 1270 and thought it had a fruity and light spice note that I enjoyed, caravelle epicee had the same fruity opening and somewhat of a woody smoky drydown and passion boisse also seemed to have a fruity opening but no smoke and a oakmoss musk skinscent drydown...l humanist was a very faint citrus with a light musk skin scent drydown.....for how much I disliked speakeasy and 1697 I am glad I gave this house a try because these fragrances are different from anything I have smelled before...definitely not a forgettable fragrance.

I think people who enjoy the smell of cigars and smoke/liquor will enjoy 1697 and speakeasy the most..
    14 sprays of DRAKKAR NOIR should do it

I am wearing passion boisse right now and it has been about 8 hours since application and all I am getting is very light musk/oakmoss skin scent...don't know if that is a note in this,,,but that is what I smell
    14 sprays of DRAKKAR NOIR should do it