Code of Conduct

Default Are Armani Fragrances Overrated?

I've bought most of them at some point, and I think I've mostly wasted my money. The are expensive, and don't match a lot of other brands. ADG is popular, and you have to give it credit as an appreciated scent even if its not your cup of tea. But most of their fragrances have disappointed me.

The one exception is Emporio Armani He, which continues to be a favorite of mine.

What do you all think of their lineup? Worth the money?

Default Re: Are Armani Fragrances Overrated?

i would say they are too mainstream, go to niche frags if you want to get some unique ones, but sample before you buy always sample first.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yes....I only like Armani He

Post Thanks / Like

Yes: overrated and overpriced.

Take Armani Black - Z Zegna Extreme is an improved version of the last and it is less expensive.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes: overrated and overpriced.

Take Armani Black - Z Zegna Extreme is an improved version of the last and it is less expensive.

Armani Eau Pour Homme is very good. The rest don't impress me.
    Vintage Guerlain, Maître Parfumeur et Gantier, and other rare off-site sales.
    Frederic Malle, Guerlain, by Kilian, and Amouage splits.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if "overrated' is the right word. Many Basenoters avoid them like the plague. They are enormously popular. I would say none of them are "bad" scents, but Armani has become the "go to" house for men's frags.

In the 70s/80s, both Ralph Laruen and more so Calvin Klein were the "go to" houses for men's frags in America. They engineered good scents, and EVERYBODY bought them; Polo, Safari, Obsession, Eternity, CK One. Armani seems to have hit this groove. They rake in a fortune with AdG and Code.

Code and AdG are often staples of new Basenoters signing up. No one should feel bad about owning them, but many here, myself included, prefer to dabble in scents that aren't being worn by half the men in the club.

If you like them, wear them. "Worth the money" is totally reliant on whether you like the scent or not. I like Green Irish Tweed. Many members in here think it smells exactly like Cool Water. I don't care. GIT is "worth the money" for me.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 6th May 2010 at 04:06 AM.

I'm not so sure about overrated, it's jsut they typically are too popular. So many people own Acqua Di Gio, Armani Code, Armani Attitude, Emporio Diamonds and etc. Armanis makes very 'safe' scents. Safe meaning most people would like them and that's not necessarily a bad or good thing, it's completely subjective. But, because of their mass appeal it makes it a great choice for many customers so they are very popular. Popularity brings down a fragrances value because you don't want to smell like everyone else but, at the same time people are more accustomed to it and many like that.

Just wear what you like. To be on topic, I don't think they're overrated but I do think they're overpriced.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

StylinLA,

That's a good point, what is "worth it" to one may not be for another. I actually don't mind if everyone else wears it, I only care about how it smells. That makes things easier for me.

I guess I just feel like for the money I've spent on Armani, I haven't gotten a good return. Even Georgio Armani He, my fave of the Armani line, is a bit too synthetic and harsh for my taste (although I still like it).

Post Thanks / Like

If you like it, wear it. LoneWolf stated it quite succinctly. They are "safe" and that's another reason some BNers will eschew it. I used to wear Issey Miyake a lot. Women really like it on me and in general. But it's not as daring and memorable to me as L'Ombre Fauve, Rose 31, Ambre Sultan or Santos de Cartier. This is a bit of hobby for many in here. We like to push it a bit. Some of the new guys who sign up are just looking to get more edge-a-ma-kated about scents in general and that's fine too.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 6th May 2010 at 04:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by strifeknot View Post
    I agree, more or less. I love Armani Eau, but have not been driven to buy other Armani products. However, the Armani Eau Pour Homme aftershave balm is very excellent.

Post Thanks / Like

I understand the distaste of having a fragrance that many other people have, but I still wear Code and love it. It is a very unique scent and I've gotten more compliments on it than I can shake a stick at, even in clubs and bars. When it comes to attracting women, the fragrance is only as strong as the person wearing it.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexbroPA View Post
    I understand the distaste of having a fragrance that many other people have, but I still wear Code and love it. It is a very unique scent and I've gotten more compliments on it than I can shake a stick at, even in clubs and bars. When it comes to attracting women, the fragrance is only as strong as the person wearing it.
    I definitely like Code a lot, but I think it's overpriced for what it is. It's a safe oriental yet quite unique. It's safe, pretty unique and lasts a long time. Definitely one of my favorites from the house. The only problem is this scent gets boring after a while since it's just not that interesting.

SALES THREAD

Contact through PM

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Are Armani Fragrances Overrated?

C minus.

If you love them however they're not overrated nor overpriced. You might be dull as dishwater if they fit your personality, or you might be lucky enough to like the most easily available scents at the mall where you live, and do the happy dance at having found in Code what the rest of us struggle to find in other Orientals. In any case you are not a judgmental snob.
    How could you be, when you are dumb enough to follow the herd with "to go" crap scents like Acqua di Gio? By VLAD THE IMPALER! Who the hell do you think you are anyway? You vapid, soulless and tasteless sheeple? I bet your idea of bravery consists in eating at a restaurant that has not yet been reviewed. Howard Roarke would spit on Acqua di Gio! James Bond would use Armani Code for target practice! My God! You make anyone who buys GIT and posts a dumbass thread about how much it resembles Coolwater a freakin' genius by comparison! How dare you say--

Um. . .Sorry. I forgot to take my meds.

(Armani frags? Ok but no great shakes.)

Have a nice day,
    Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 6th May 2010 at 05:16 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Justiniani View Post
    C minus.

If you love them however they're not overrated nor overpriced. You might be dull as dishwater if they fit your personality, or you might be lucky enough to like the most easily available scents at the mall where you live, and do the happy dance at having found in Code what the rest of us struggle to find in other Orientals. In any case you are not a judgmental snob.
    How could you be, when you are dumb enough to follow the herd with "to go" crap scents like Acqua di Gio? By VLAD THE IMPALER! Who the hell do you think you are anyway? You vapid, soulless and tasteless sheeple? I bet your idea of bravery consists in eating at a restaurant that has not yet been reviewed. Howard Roarke would spit on Acqua di Gio! James Bond would use Armani Code for target practice! My God! You make anyone who buys GIT and posts a dumbass thread about how much it resembles Coolwater a freakin' genius by comparison! How dare you say--

Have a nice day,
    Mario

I don't feel that they are overrated at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Most of them I'd to put them into the classy and subtle category - ADG, Emporio He, Emporio Night, Emporio White, Remix - kind of like the early Bvlgari ones.

More recently though they've gotten louder with Attitude, Code and Diamonds.
    Diamonds I still think of as having something classy about it, but not the other two.

My favourite is Remix, though White really grew on me during last summer.
    Renato

" Are Armani Fragrances Overrated? "

yes, yes, yes

and yes

I agree with this.

Indeed they are overrated, with even the formerly excellent Eau Pour Homme deteriorating with each new reformulation.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Armani Eau pour Homme (vintage) is excellent. No others in the line are worth owning IMO.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

They are not overrated. They simply aren't rated

I own minis of Code and Mania. Also, got AdG like most do. I suppose at this point, I could live without any of them.
    Perry Ellis 360 Red is very similar, maybe even superior according to some. As for Code, well, you can have your Tonka Bean and call it something else even more cool, like perhaps Armaund Basi.

I wore and liked Acqua di Gio when I was younger. I have not tried their other fragrances.

I personally think Code is brilliant.

I don't think any of them are bad - there's not really anything to dislike - they're just safe and many of them are samey.

Post Thanks / Like

"Overrated" infers that they are highly rated to begin with, which they are not, with the exception of Eau PH.

So, no.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Armani Eau pour Homme (vintage) is excellent. No others in the line are worth owning IMO.
    +1 Eau pour Homme's the only Armani fragrance I ever loved... I find the rest ridiculously overpriced for the kinda stuff they dish out.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like the Armani fragrances (maybe except White He) but I think there are many niche brands that are more overrated than any on the Armani's.

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried only AdG and Code and I can say that are overrated and very expensive for what they are offering. For the same money, or less, you can get better fragrances. Everything it's about the marketing. Investing great amounts in the commercials and not in the developing of the fragrances.

Post Thanks / Like

It's not cool to wear armani frags, therefore it cannot be overrated.
    If anything, I'd say they are underrated.

PawelL

To me, they're faceless, basically.
    Giorgio Armani has remained an ultrastylish clothes designer, but I find his frags strangely generic. I hope his fans will forgive me.
    Kind regards,
    P

I dont think so, They make popular great smelling frags.

The frags i get the most compliments are code, adg, and attitude. So for me No way are they overrated

They are perfectly engineered to mainstream tastes. I don't mean that as a slam, either. I am quite sure that the formulas for these scents are very intricate and carefully balanced. I know Scentophile, our resident perfumer-in-training, has commented about how Acqua di Gio is a very complex and long formula that is expertly balanced.

I think that in many ways it is harder for a perfumer to make something that SO many people like, than it is to make something daring and out there. When you create something very out there, with a niche audience in mind, it's ok if the blending/formula is a little sloppy, unbalanced, etc, perhaps even desirable. When you are trying to blend something that 90%+ of the population will at least find "nice" if not "mmm good", well, you've got a huge task on your hands.

I think the Armani scents tend to be some of the best mainstream scents out there.

Edit: Just remembered I smelled Code on a guy for the first time in a long time and it smelled excellent. He went a bit heavy with the trigger but still, it was nice.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 6th May 2010 at 07:32 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    +1 Eau pour Homme's the only Armani fragrance I ever loved... I find the rest ridiculously overpriced for the kinda stuff they dish out.
    + 2 for Eau Pour Homme. I love it, too. And the prices generally hold pretty close to brick-and-mortar retail even online. As for the other Armani scents, nah, nothing special to me. But they can't be described as overrated because so many people keep voting for them with their pocketbooks.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Mario Justiniani;1827701]C minus.

Thank you, Mario, for my best laugh of the day!

Post Thanks / Like

We always know where Mario stands on AdG...

I think Francis Kurkdjian's work on Mania is outstanding. I really like the saffron note in there, most similar to Noir de Noir.

Armani Code is a well-constructed perfume. Unfortunately, YSL's La Nuit de L'homme has recently topped it by being better! :P
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

No.....Not in my opinion!!!
    Gary

I think yes.... because too many people own them and Mania, code and He is great scents by Armani.

Post Thanks / Like

As other posters on the board noticed, Armani PH is a masterpiece, but was hardly replicated by something equally brilliant

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    They are perfectly engineered to mainstream tastes. I don't mean that as a slam, either. I am quite sure that the formulas for these scents are very intricate and carefully balanced. I know Scentophile, our resident perfumer-in-training, has commented about how Acqua di Gio is a very complex and long formula that is expertly balanced.

I think that in many ways it is harder for a perfumer to make something that SO many people like, than it is to make something daring and out there. When you create something very out there, with a niche audience in mind, it's ok if the blending/formula is a little sloppy, unbalanced, etc, perhaps even desirable. When you are trying to blend something that 90%+ of the population will at least find "nice" if not "mmm good", well, you've got a huge task on your hands.

I think the Armani scents tend to be some of the best mainstream scents out there.

Edit: Just remembered I smelled Code on a guy for the first time in a long time and it smelled excellent. He went a bit heavy with the trigger but still, it was nice.
    Thanks for that SoS. Logic and rationality that's excellent food for thought

Haven't tried Armani He, but I think its flanker Armani He Night, along with Armani Diamonds, is the best in the house. Code is also good. Not a huge fan of AdG (too played out), Armani PH (too formal), or Mania and Attitude (only tried once each, but they didn't leave an impression.. perhaps I should revisit them), but I can appreciate them for what they are. Haven't tried the other flankers (City Glam, Remix, White, etc). I don't think they are overrated, I find them to be competent scents. But I wouldn't spend too much money on them.
    Last edited by Chasing the Dragon; 7th May 2010 at 10:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post

Very well put ! I like it

SALES THREAD

Contact through PM

Armani Eau Pour Homme: fine for any men's fragrance collection. Other Armanis strike me as tragically mainstream and chemical. Might be OK for others, not OK for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Am I the only one here who doesn't think who doesn't think much of Armani Eau Pour Homme?
    I cannot see what so many of you like about it.
    Once a gift set of it was going dirt cheap when a store was closing down. I passed on it.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 8th May 2010 at 04:06 AM.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

A store on the verge of closing down is more interested in getting cash in hand and thus prices its merchandise to push sales. That has little bearing on the quality of the fragrance. Besides, you can't expect everyone to love a fragrance. That only makes it 'popular' with mass market appeal, like AdG.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Are Armani Fragrances Overrated?

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Am I the only one here who doesn't think who doesn't think much of Armani Eau Pour Homme?
    I cannot see what so many of you like about it.
    Once a gift set of it was going dirt cheap when a store was closing down. I passed on it.
    Renato

No, you're not alone.
    This review is from Teflondog :

" All I get from this is lemons. Just lemons. To me it smells like a bucket of freshly squeezed lemon juice. It doesn't even evolve to anything on me. I know it's supposed to be a citrus scent, but it's so boring IMO. I guess it would be good for people who aren't really into wearing fragrance, but that's definitely not me. It does last long, which is the only thing that saved it from getting a thumbs down rating. "

Ok now that was in
    29 December 2005

So in fairness, since both Diamondflame and petruccijc have praised the vintage version the question is:

When was it reformulated and how was it significantly different beforehand?

Alright, two questions . . .

Pax,

Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 8th May 2010 at 07:06 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about the rest, but Bois d'Encense is not overrated
    Evenstar

The only EA or Armani fragrance that i actually enjoy are Emporio White She and Emporio She. all the other ones blow...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Justiniani View Post
    No, you're not alone.
    This review is from Teflondog :

" All I get from this is lemons. Just lemons. To me it smells like a bucket of freshly squeezed lemon juice. It doesn't even evolve to anything on me. I know it's supposed to be a citrus scent, but it's so boring IMO. I guess it would be good for people who aren't really into wearing fragrance, but that's definitely not me. It does last long, which is the only thing that saved it from getting a thumbs down rating. "

Ok now that was in
    29 December 2005

Mario
    Thanks Mario,
    That was also around the time that store was closing down, when I decided I didn't care how cheap it got, I wasn't buying it.
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by strifeknot View Post
    +1.

Post Thanks / Like

Eau Pour Homme is pretty good but I prefer Eau Sauvage in the hedione-citrus catagory.
    Aqua di Gio smells extremely good to me. I don't wear it 'cos I prefer not to smell the same as so many other people but I love smelling it on those other people. Brings a smile to my face when I pass though a lingering cloud of AdG molecules in the street....
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 8th May 2010 at 06:32 PM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Post Thanks / Like

You could ask the same of Hugo Boss. They sell a name and a package. Any scent that is included peripheral to the product. Armani is a big, renowned name and your average consumer (low to middle class) will not be able to afford the clothes, suits, etc...so the scent is a nice entry into being able to say you've got Armani products. And compared to body sprays and deo, which the average mall guy wears, ADG or it's ilk is pretty classy.

I find Armani scents nice, but I find it harder to care about them. "He" was good, not amazing. "Night" was better. "Remix" was surprisingly good, although not phenomenal. The "original" lemon-bomb was also great (as mentioned ad infinitum). I guess the "Prive Collection" is great too, but where am I gonna find that? It depend on whether you mean the "select" or "mass-market" scents. That statement applies to Dior's line as well, am I right?
    "Flagrantly fragrant and they can't escape me. My perfume pursued them everywhere that they went.
    You don't want a loan, leave my cologne alone. It's a little too strong for you to be putting on".
    - Lupe Fiasco

Post Thanks / Like

You could ask the same of Hugo Boss. They sell a name and a package. Any scent that is included peripheral to the product. Armani is a big, renowned name and your average consumer (low to middle class) will not be able to afford the clothes, suits, etc...so the scent is a nice entry into being able to say you've got Armani products. And compared to body sprays and deo, which the average mall guy wears, ADG or it's ilk is pretty classy.

I find Armani scents nice, but I find it harder to care about them. "He" was good, not amazing. "Night" was better. "Remix" was surprisingly good, although not phenomenal. The "original" lemon-bomb was also great (as mentioned ad infinitum). I guess the "Prive Collection" is great too, but where am I gonna find that? It depend on whether you mean the "select" or "mass-market" scents. That statement applies to Dior's line as well, am I right?
    Last edited by Echo777; 9th May 2010 at 08:54 AM. Reason: .............................................
    "Flagrantly fragrant and they can't escape me. My perfume pursued them everywhere that they went.
    You don't want a loan, leave my cologne alone. It's a little too strong for you to be putting on".
    - Lupe Fiasco

This reminds me of the time a celebrity was on TV talking about how much he liked Armani. I was like, "Hey, I like Armani!" My stepdaughter was wuick to point out that I only had a t-shirt with Armani on it.