Code of Conduct

Default Bel Ami is Really Great

I had to run errands at the shopping mall this afternoon. I went by the fragrance counter and there was nothing interesting to smell so I picked up an old friend, Bel Ami to check out the latest composition of it.

Splendid it is, I tell you. I've got an old-style bottle from I don't know how many years ago and it's fantastic of course, but what's sold now is nothing to worry about. I'm loving it. There's plenty of the wonderful tobacco and there's plenty of clean, etherial lightness with projection too. One spray of it has wiped out all Roger&Gallet that was on me from this morning. The one spray of BA has me spellbound.

No one needs to worry about wearing this beauty.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Default Re: Bel Ami is Really Great

It's good to see that I'm not the only admirer of the reformulated Bel Ami here. The current stuff is freakin' awesome - I love its warm spiciness. Of course the vintage stuff is great, but the important thing is that although there are differences, the current stuff still smells like Bel Ami, and that's what's most important. I agree that no one has anything to worry about with the current version of it.

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    Of course the vintage stuff is great, but the important thing is that although there are differences, the current stuff still smells like Bel Ami, and that's what's most important. I agree that no one has anything to worry about with the current version of it.
    Let me give a full force YES to that. I'm talking myself into getting a bottle of the current stuff too. At the risk of being a heretic, let me say that the current stuff might even be more wearable than the magnificent old stuff. It's so fitting and even forgiving. It smells beautiful and is graceful, but doesn't demand that you live up to it. Not that there's any fault with the magical older stuff, so, again, not to be a heretic, but...

Yes!!! This is a wonderful scent!!!
    Gary

smeller

Thanks for remind me that last week I found out that my BA decant had leaked and now there is only a drop on it.

Really great stuff, BTW.

Man, I agree - I have a sample of it and have only had judicious wearings of it around the house, but every time I think "I need this." I'm not sure how it's been this long without me buying it. It surprises me every time I sample it - it doesn't share some of the cheaper aromachemicals that you find everywhere now, even after reformulation. This and Guerlain Heritage are a couple I need to add to my collection.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Talking Re: Bel Ami is Really Great

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    One spray of it has wiped out all Roger&Gallet that was on me from this morning.
    Hmm...maybe you should try layering that R&G with some bar soap/shower gel, shave soap, and talc?

Quote Originally Posted by Emlynevermore View Post
    Hmm...maybe you should try layering that R&G with some bar soap/shower gel, shave soap, and talc?
    Hehehe; it's good to be known!

Incidentally, I had avoided sampling Bel Ami because of the complaints about the reformulation(s?). It's back on the list now.
    Last edited by Emlynevermore; 9th May 2010 at 04:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    Yes!!! This is a wonderful scent!!!
    Wholeheartedly agree.

I got a bottle of vintage juice last year
    ... it is good to know that should the bottle ever finish the reformulated is just as good !

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Agreed! Glad to see some candid validation of the reformulated version.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I have never smelled the old/original version so can't compare, but I do love the new version. It's understatedly elegant and easy to wear.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Like many reformulations these days, I find the new version to be drier with a bit less leather, but a little bit spicier, than the original. The original had a bit of an oily smell to it, probably the heavy leather blending with the lemon. The original, in my opinion,qualified as a real Powerhouse frag, whereas the current isn't quite one, though it still is nice and strong.

If you're picky about the amount of leather in your frags (i.e., if you like a ton of it), you might be disappointed with the new stuff, but I look at reformulations in a general sense - if it still captures the overall feel of the original, I'm happy. I find the current version definitely does still feel like Bel Ami when I wear it. I'm not crying at all about this reformulation. I love it.
    Last edited by shamu1; 9th May 2010 at 12:25 PM.

Basenotes Institution

I still have never given the new juice, a proper full wearing. I will soon, after reading this Chris.

Question: Can I comfortably wear this one, in hot weather?

I enjoy the new version Bel Ami (and also the Maupassant book, too, BTW) but also like Equipage.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I love Bel Ami too - it's on my shopping list...
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

When was it reformulated?

I'd like to know if my decant from 2006 or so was the old or the new version (the bottle could have been from well before that, for all I know...).

I sort of liked parts of it, but at the time, found it much too heavy for regular use. Perhaps the new version would be more to my liking. It's one of those scents that I wanted very much to like, almost did, then ultimately didn't.

Does the new version tone down the heavy thickness at all?
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I still have never given the new juice, a proper full wearing. I will soon, after reading this Chris.

Question: Can I comfortably wear this one, in hot weather?
    I wear it in hot weather without a problem. It's drier than the original, so I don't find it suffocating in the heat. I'm not sure I'd want to wear the orginal version of it in the heat, though.

I wore three sprays of this for a really cold day in GA today. My wife really liked it on me as I headed out the door this AM. Very classy scent that has a multi-layered approach. There are several notes going on at once, which is nice and entertaining throughout the day. I have the newest version, and I'm glad to have this classic alongside my other all-time greats (HR, GIT, etc).

I like it too. Not quite at "love" territory though.

I love it, but like so many others, use too much and the radiance becomes faintly ridiculous in a warm closed in area when the body heats up. Begins to flirt with another great Sieuzac creation in Opium, which spanned perimeters as well as any of them.

I found the newer Ellena stuff a little flat but still excellent. Sold it, but have plenty of vintage stuff anyway. There isn't anything much better for the outdoors when the temps are in the 20's - mid-40's (f). The warmth and spice is matched by very few, Knize Ten (vintage is the greatest smoke there is in cold temps) being one of them.
    Last edited by pluran; 8th January 2012 at 08:44 PM. Reason: blackout

Bel Ami is right up there with Bois Du Portugal, Guerlain Heritage, Cartier Santos Concentree, and Vintage Tabarome as one of the greatest masculine powerhouse fragrances ever made. I admire and respect it from top to base.

Just noticed that the 3.3 OZ spray (the one I have) is going for $120 on the official Hermes website. Ouch!

Yes.....both versions are fantastic!!!
    Gary

Good to hear--I love the old version and am just running out.....

It`s astounding! A pole in the world of fragrances.

Is there really some resemblance between Pure Distance M and Bel Ami?

PS - I'm glad I revived this thread...it's nice to celebrate a grand champion!

I've recently rediscovered this fragrance. I have the vintage formulation. It reminds me of Moschino pour homme (which I prefer, actually), but the Hermes frag has much better sillage and longevity.

Basenotes Institution

IMO no

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Is there really some resemblance between Pure Distance M and Bel Ami?
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I wore Bel Ami today because of this thread. It remains one of the best. I get really good sillage and longevity and lots of compliments too. I never really thought much of it until one day I smelled it on a passerby and it just blew me away. I've only ever known the reformulated stuff, but even so, it's amazing. Easily a Top 10 scent for me.

Amazing longevity. I could smell it at least 15 hours after application. Just three sprays.

Every time I wear this, it impresses me. Just two sprays today and it's plenty potent. Bel Ami is the real deal. Could it end up in my top 5? maybe....

It's very good news to hear that the Original version and the New version are wonderful.....Gary

Dependent

Tried the new version at the Hermes boutique on paper over the weekend and was quite surprised at its awesomeness. Rich animalic spice. Turin claims it was eviscerated, but maybe he was just in love with the old one. I am getting a vintage sample to compare.

I remember beautyencounter selling this stuff for $75 not too long ago. I shoulda bought this instead of stupid La nuit which I ended up selling because im somewhat snobby now.