"Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Default Re: SotD Sunday 9 May

Sunday ... time for some 80s luxury;

No. 5
    - Eau de Parfum -

Basenotes Plus

I was watching Tom Ford's A Single Man (a fantastic film, if you haven't seen it you must) and Colin Firths character complimented a lady on the Arpege she was wearing. I'd actually forgotten that I have a bottle of this so I'm making it my Scent of the Day.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Riviera dei Fiori near Sanremo and Alassio

Osmanthus Yunnan Hermès

A, quales ego mane rosas procedere vidi!
    Nascebantur adhuc neque erat par omnibus aetas.

Chamade.

I've escaped to L'Instant by Guerlain after yesterday's strawberry alcopop-bubblegum.

Happy Mother's Day to any mum's celebrating!

I had a lovely breakfast with the future MIL in a cafe overlooking a large lake with lots of greenery - a nice way to start the day. I wore Acqua di Parma Iris Nobile EDP and my sample is starting to run out
    My perfume blog: Girl With the Curious Nose

Don't spend time beating on a wall, hoping to transform it into a door -Coco Chanel

Currently lusting after:
    - Chanel No.5 Eau Premiere
    - Frederic Malle Lipstick Rose
    - Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille

Rose Pivoine from Nicolaï.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLipPrint View Post
    Happy Mother's Day to any mum's celebrating!

I had a lovely breakfast with the future MIL in a cafe overlooking a large lake with lots of greenery - a nice way to start the day. I wore Acqua di Parma Iris Nobile EDP and my sample is starting to run out
    Oooooooooooo...that sounds wonderful!!

Funny! I awoke craving Iris too and reached for

MANY thanks to Mom Quarry for this treat!
    (That's Yves Rocher Iris Noire)
    Last edited by TaoLady; 9th May 2010 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Clarification
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Caron
    Coup de Fouet and some Poivre for comparison.
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Basenotes Plus

Cadolle No. 9

A very happy Mother's Day to everyone who celebrates and a lovely day to all!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Sur la Plage

My SOTD is Bulgari Aqua pour Homme.

Notes include Mandarin, Petit Grain, Santolina, Posidonia and Mineral Amber.

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Andy Tauer...LDDM.

Basenotes Plus

Happy Mother's Day!

Spending time with my sweetheart.
    He's home until Wednesday, then back to St. Croix till August.

SOTD is the Coco he gave me for Christmas.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!!!

Women Love When I Wear Gaultier2, So Thats The SOTD :-)

Enjoy Your Day!!!

Bvlgari Black.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Basenotes Institution

I'm going fragrance sniffing with my husband, so I might just apply a light splash of...

Imperiale Extra Dry by Guerlain

Since this one fades fast, and I'll be scent free for testing.

Happy Momma's Day to any of you momma's out there!

In addition to MK's Eau de Garlic, I am happy to report that last night we had our place smelling of many Euax: de Lysol, de Fabreeze, de Bleach and de White Vinegar == spick'n'span today and smelling of dried apples, of all things. Who knew?

Going off to see Red & Green dude, Steve Smith, will post the details. In older Yves Rocher Cantata, thanks to Ms.E. Has she made it home -- up North -- yet, I wonder?

Happy Mother's Day to all!

Good morning and Happy Mother's Day for moms!

I swapped shifts before I realized it was Mother's Day, so am off to work. There's unfortunately a flu outbreak in my ward (I hope I don't get it!), so if there's ever a time a little pleasant fragrance is needed, this would be it.

SOTD for me is Estee Lauder's Pure White Linen Pink Coral. Love that pink peppercorn! The jasmine & peony are nice together too.

* Top Notes
    * Apple Blossom, Clear Aldehydes, Waterfruits, Pink Peppercorns, Chinese Berry Mist.

Middle Notes
    * Jasmine, Pink Peony, Camellia Flower, Cherry Blossom, Sweet Pea, Honeysuckle.

Base Notes
    * Vanilla, Heliotrope, Sandalwood.
    Last edited by whitelace; 9th May 2010 at 03:23 PM.

I woke up to my Mother's Day present from my sons: a dozen red and white roses! My sister is driving into town so that we can have lunch with Mom. I always love getting together with my sister. I'm wearing Bond High Line today.

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there!

Blog Entries

I just made a long post that got lost in cyberspace because just when I hit "post", it was 9:59 or 10:00 and the server problem occurred. *sigh*

Anyway, I've layered my new Demeter Lily of the Valley over Diorissiomo, and comparing with the fresh bouquet of lilies of the valley I picked for myself from the garden, they are pretty close. Demeter's LOTV is very similar to what Muguet des Bois used to smell like before the most recent reformulation.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Montana Parfum d'Homme today. The heat is on!

Happy Mother's Day to all Mom's!
    Last edited by kbe; 9th May 2010 at 03:17 PM.

cc attribution: Ric E Ette

Christian Dior Dune, willing the sun to come out and play! This perfume was released just before I started to get interested in fragrance and I'd always managed to bypass it, because I had it confused with Cerutti 1881. I'm glad I've found it now!

Baby robin is still tucked safely in the undergrowth (under the rhubarb now - I hope your chutney came out well, Twolf!). I too like the 'unneccesary' portions of SOTD; the kind of chatter my charmless English teacher would refer to as 'Mothers' Meetings' - Happy Mothers' Day to us all
    Last edited by Petra Ichor; 9th May 2010 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Missplaced apostrophe - maybe I should have payed more attention in English!
    Out here we are running for the wide open spaces, the road-smell after the rain.

Basenotes Institution

Happy mother's Day everyone !

Carnal Flower !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Chanel N 5
    extrait
    Looking for Creed Spice & Wood / swap fragances , Creed Vingate Tabarome and more... http://www.basenotes.net/threads/374...me-Cuir-Beluga

Happy Mothers Day to all! After Pilates, I will don pearls, Le Parfum de Therese, and a smile, and meet my daughters for a six-course tea at Lady Mendl's salon. A glorious day!

Eva Pasco

Victoria Secret Rapture...

"A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie." Tenneva Jordan

Today, may each of us give thanks for the sacrifices others have made for us...

Oh ladies! Happy Mother's Day to all who celebrate!

Musc Ravageur

Straight to Heaven - By Kilian

Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers!

SOTD is Cabaret de Gres for me.

I'm wearing Jessica McClintock today, lilies of the valley and jasmine. I wore this years ago, and when I saw a small bottle at Marshall's I had to have it again. I'm enjoying it.

Happy Day!

SotD: Crystal Noir
    SotE: Czech and Speake # 88.

Blog Entries

Amouage - Gold
    Gently, the air fills with the golden caress of classic perfumery.
    The ebb and flow carries on, and a lazy stretch in the sun warms my skin.

Gold Woman Notes;
    Frankincense, Rock Rose, Lily of the Valley, Orris, Jasmine,
    Myrrh, Musk, Cedarwood, and Sandalwood.
    Last edited by kumquat; 9th May 2010 at 05:43 PM.

In Vintage Émeraude PDT on a coolish breezy Mother's Day Sunday. Ah, nostalgia!

Happy Mom's Day all Moms everywhere...
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

Blog Entries

Smile Re: SotD Sunday 9 May

Datura Noir by Serge Leutens.

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme

to all the moms here!

No rain for the last couple of days; plus it's been sunny and in the upper 60s. Feeling green today in...
    Estée Lauder Private Collection

Have a wonderful, scented Sunday, everyone!
    Last edited by Lyndy Hop; 9th May 2010 at 06:32 PM.

Vintage L'Aimant by Coty.

Quote Originally Posted by pelle View Post
    Caron
    Coup de Fouet and some Poivre for comparison.
    I wore Poivre last night! We took my mother-in-law to a Czech restaurant in Davis, CA. It was delicious, and my fragrance worked well with the food. :-)

I'm going to do some fragrance testing. First up: Nature by Yves Rocher, and a scent by issey miyake, from a group of cute little minis that I blind-bought in a fit of self-indulgence. These are interesting! The a scent is completely my kind of fresh green floral; the Nature is a very different, herbal chypre kind of thing that I keep going back and forth on. I'm looking forward to full wears of both!

Edit: a scent is maybe not me, after all. Something holds me back...

Happy Mother's day to all of you delicious-smelling moms!
    Last edited by Haunani; 9th May 2010 at 08:56 PM.

Happy Mother's Day to all the Basenotes Mothers!

Warming up for Shalimar Day tomorrow with

Guerlain Cologne du Parfumeur

Really loving this latest EDC from Guerlain it feels like a throughly modern take on an EDC.

Have a Striking Sunday everyone.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there!

I'm wearing Iris d'Argent / Keiko Mecheri from a sample today.
    Notes (luckyscent): Iris, white iris, heperides, chypré chord, cedar wood, amber

(Guess I'm not going to fall in love with this one, although I like it... but gave it a good try with the big 10ml samples they were giving out with purchase when I bought her White Petals locally...)

Happy Mother's Day, you darling Basenotes Mommies! I hope your loved ones are spoiling you good and proper.

The vertigo is back today so I am not in the mood for scent. But it is a lovely, sunny and cool day so I will try to focus on the positive.

Take care, all.

Blog Entries

Sorry to have been away for so long. I've been feeling so much pressure to get things ready for baby and at 28 weeks I feel like I'm running out of time. Of course, for some reason, getting ready for baby also means cleaning out the garage. I've recently decided that the phrase "nesting instinct" is really just a polite term for "prenatal mania."

Today I'm delving into a package just received from the wonderful CRose. I've been *dying* to try Tauer's Un Rose Chypre, wow (gotta love a new BNer who reads wishlists, thanks CRose)! It's a little spicy and rather sweet, and it's not particularly chypre-y to my nose (not at all in a traditional sense, and not even in the modern sense), but I don't mind that. It's very nice for what it is, and I much prefer it to Tauer's somewhat similar Incense Rose. This has less of the fennel-like spiciness I found in IR (and didn't care for), and is much more predominantly rosy. I'm really enjoying it on this rainy, spring day.

Also, earlier this week I finally sampled the divine Party in Manhattan from Taolady. OMG! Must have!!! Diapers aren't that important, are they?

Tonight my husband is taking me to Il Fornaio for a soon-to-be Mother's Day dinner. It's *his* favorite restaurant, actually, but the food is fantastic and we've been so often that it's become one of "our places." We'll get to enjoy their Campania Festa Regionale. I'll have the tasting menu of Caprese salad, potato gnocci, and parchment wrapped seabass with clams, shrimp, mussels. Hungry already!

Happy Mother's Day to all the Moms!
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Happy Mothers Day to all mothers, mothers-to-be [ ! ], and those of among you who are SO nurturing, and SO loving-
    You might as well be mothers ;-)
    It takes more than biology to be a mother, my friends....

May all of you who are joining w/ loved ones, enjoy !

Absent for awhile...
    Sometimes, it refreshes the spirit.
    [It ain't about 'lack of love'- THAT is for certain !]

Wore vintage Arpege and Scandal to commemorate my mother.
    Now moving on to DSH's Parfum de Grasse, for its lyrical beauty.

Hugging you...

Happy Mothers Day to all who celebrate! Today is a beautiful day, and I am sampling...

L'Artisan Vanilia and Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Fleur de Comores Comparison Review

Vanilia Notes: ylang ylang, vanilla bean, amber and sandalwood (from www.nstperfume.com, NowSmellThis)
    Fleur de Comores Notes: blackcurrant, passionfruit, leafy green, vanilla, orange blossom, jasmine, ambegris, vetiver, musk (from luckyscent.com)

I have been wanting to compare L'Artisan Vanilia and MPG Fleur de Comores ever since I read in the guide that they were both composed by the same perfumer (Laporte), FdC being a sort of "Vanilia II" which was created after Laporte left L'Artisan.

Vanilia starts sweet, woody and balsamic. As the top notes burn off, a hint of incense lends a smoky metallic tang and the fragrance becomes increasingly powdery. Vanilia stays in this stage for quite a long time, its subtlety keeping it from becoming cloying despite being linear. The drydown is a pretty vanilla-prominent amber with a little tonka bite and smoky woods.

Fleur de Comores' opening notes are massively boozy, with fermented overripe passionfruit (which seems to be a blend of apricot and cherry not unlike "Hawaiin Punch" fruit drink) and sharp, almost urinous blackcurrant bud. FdC develops more slowly than Vanilia, but eventually starts to turn more powdery as well, with indolic florals coming forward as the fruity top accord fades. The florals eventually settle on a base of woody, smoky green (vetiver).

Overall, I find FdC to be slightly more sophisticated and complex, and I find Vanilia more charming and easy to wear. In my book, this is one contest where simplicity wins--Vanilia is one of those fragrances that is so pleasant that it is adaptable to many occasions and age groups.

I suppose I can understand a kinship between these two. Both are what I would classify as relaxing, unpretentious fragrances evocative of summer holidays. However, looking at the bigger picture, if I were to name a successor to Vanilia, it would probably be L'Artisan Havana Vanille which takes the same idea more towards woods, resins and raisiny tobacco. Regardless, both Vanilia and FdC are worthy of sampling.

Basenotes Plus

I'm remembering my Mom today who passed almost two years ago from lung cancer from smoking Warning- soapbox rant follows- avert your eyes if this offends you.
    If you are a mom who smokes, stop smoking today for your own health and your kids peace of mind.
    End soapbox rant

SOTD: Acqua Serena by Perlier

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

SotE;

DIOR HOMME INTENSE

- Eau de Parfum -

Last edited by Le Grand Duc; 9th May 2010 at 11:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chayaruchama View Post
    ...It takes more than biology to be a mother, my friends...
    That's exactly what a very wise woman told me in church today.

I'm wearing some old vintage Eau Arpege by Lanvin, which I can find no info on at all. All I can say is, they don't make Eaux like this anymore.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by knit_at_nite View Post
    I'm remembering my Mom today who passed almost two years ago from lung cancer from smoking Warning- soapbox rant follows- avert your eyes if this offends you.
    If you are a mom who smokes, stop smoking today for your own health and your kids peace of mind.
    End soapbox rant
    *HUGS* to knit_at_nite. I'm sorry about your Mom ,sweetie.

My husband and my son got me NARS Body Glow oil II as a gift as they know Mummy is completely gaga over gardenia - even the little gardenias lying at the bottom of the bottle puts me into ecstasy . So that is my scent of the afternoon - NARS monoi Body Glow layered with dregs of Carnal Flower.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Happy Mothers Day!!! to all who celebrate.

I am not a mom, but we went to my mom's yesterday and spent the night. I cooked dinner. My husband sent her flowers and I boght her an "edible" arrangement of fruit. It was gorgeous and the fruit very delicious (I had a strawberry dipped in chocolate, yum!). Then we had brunch today.

I am wearing Cartier Santos today and yesterday it was Annannas Fizz for the first time. I liked it, very nice for spring.

Special message to RHM: Enjoy the weekend!!!!
    Last edited by arwen_elf; 10th May 2010 at 04:52 AM.
    Evenstar

This evening...Serge Lutens FDB.

Wore Dali (yes, I'm still on that spree) for a nice matinee, came home and made my best onion soup for dinner. Relaxing day and the foot is behaving in its ugly air cast.

My SOTD is Jessica Simpson Fancy.

Hope all of you who are moms had a wonderful Mother's Day!!

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Burberry London tonight.

Happy Mother's Day!!

I had a great day with my mom, dad, sis and niece, and sis who just found out she is pregos. Carnations all around! Then I came home to DH and a Suns sweep! So I guess Tabac Blond is a lucky fume, too.

Now, on with my anniversary weekend....

I hope all the Mommies had a wonderful Mother's Day!

I wore my favorite Sunday perfume today Pleasures
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Happy Mother's Day!

SSS Rose Musc.