Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wink What is your HOLY GRAIL???

Hello, Distinguished Male Fragrance Conoisseurs,

Many of you may hesitate to reply to this because you don't want to choose just one, but please indulge me:

What is that one male fragrance (for you) that is so special...so exclusive...so perfectly formulated...so unique...so made for discerning nostrils, that it is one of (if not THE) crowning achievement of your collection, or, if you don't have it yet, you are awaiting the special day when you purchase it and make it the crowning achievement of your collection? That favorite that, should they change or discontinue it, it would be a crime against humanity?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Default Re: What is your HOLY GRAIL???

The one in my collection that tops the bill and is the current holy grail for me is Nio by Xerjoff. Hesperides by Le Essenze Di Mezzanotte comes in a very close second as both of these fit exactly what I was looking for in a fragrance. Nio is the ONE that is something special. It has that certain edge and oozes quality. Nothing else currently on the market I've tried comes close to it

I think everyone's got a favorite. That doesn't mean it's a holy grail. When you say holy grail, it indicates the search is over. Not so for me. I have several frags that I really, really love. There are many styles, many notes, several seasons. And tastes change over time; mine certainly have. I don't think about holy grail status. I just keep sampling in hoping to find yet another fragrance that makes that direct connection with the pleasure center of my brain. I will never have a holy grail.

I just keep sampling in hoping to find yet another fragrance that makes that direct connection with the pleasure center of my brain.

I take JonB's point. So, guys, what is at least your CURRENT holy grail, if you have one....

MI - Creed

Vintage Tabarome

Quote Originally Posted by lionheart View Post
    I just keep sampling in hoping to find yet another fragrance that makes that direct connection with the pleasure center of my brain.

I take JonB's point. So, guys, what is at least your CURRENT holy grail, if you have one....
    Current very special fragrances:
    Lorenzo Villoresi Uomo
    Opium pour Homme EdP
    Penhaligon's Castile
    Penhaligon's Racquets Formula
    Patou pour Homme Prive
    Czech and Speake No. 88
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    L'air du desert Marocain- Andy Tauer
    Sables- Annick Goutal
    Kyoto- Comme des Garcons
    Last edited by JonB; 9th May 2010 at 04:48 PM.

My current is:
    A Taste of Heaven By Kilian

Up till this year, I'd have said Serge Lutens Tubereuse Criminelle, but I've discovered so many beautiful fragrances these past six months I'm at a loss to choose what would be my holy grail. In terms of fascinating construction and artistry, perhaps Amouage's Ubar, but if we're talking about desert-island frags, a collection reduced to one bottle, it would be Comme des Garcons Luxe: Champaca.

All in all, I seem to discover fascinating, beautiful fragrances every month, and that reduces my attachment to each one individually, as I know that even if my current favorite is discontinued, there are many more beauties out there, many of which I've yet to even smell.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    All in all, I seem to discover fascinating, beautiful fragrances every month, and that reduces my attachment to each one individually, as I know that even if my current favorite is discontinued, there are many more beauties out there, many of which I've yet to even smell.
    This is all too true... I still have my favourites, but I'm getting slightly less stressed about hoarding them. (I still do, but I'm working on it.)

Current favourite is Chanel Cuir de Russie.

vintage tabarome

Blog Entries

La cream de la crem fragrance is Mitsouko.

Knize Ten

Reasons: sentimental

At this point, it would have to be New York.

I have so much more stuff to try, though.

Blog Entries

to me it really is A*Men. i ALWAYS want to wear it, i just have trouble finding a time to with people that might appreciate it (at my age if its not hollister, its weird and brain washed girls dont like it because Abercrombie Co. didnt tell them to like it). something about it just gets me every time. i've had people call it the "pine tree s*** (btw whats the board's rules on profanity?) because apparently it smells "pine-y". after all it is a woodsy scent i s'pose, but one it hits the gourmand stage, to me? its the best ive smelled. on my skin the middle note caramel settles down into the base of chocolate with hints of patchouli. for me it goes patchouli -> caramel -> patchouli again -> caramel/chocolate base -> patchouli AGAIN -> then it finally becomes that final mix of the three with tonka mixed in.

if its not obvious, i love this fragrance lol. i cant wait till i can wear it as my signature scent

Le Male is a very close second, i have trouble wearing it for the same reasons as a*men but its a tad more socially acceptable since it is vanilla. Le Male also seems a bit more intimate and sexy to me
    Last edited by Neurosis; 9th May 2010 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Emlynevermore View Post
    At this point, it would have to be New York.

I have so much more stuff to try, though.
    -At this point, Agreed..

Well, at best, I have a current top 5:

Le No. 3 Homme de Caron
    Black Sun/Salvador Dali
    Jungle pour Homme/Kenzo
    Givenchy Gentleman
    Gucci Envy for Men
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Sur la Plage

I can never seem to find my Holy Grail. Everytime I get close, I get attacked by a killer rabbit.....

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I probably have a few, I can't narrow it down to just one but high up there is probably No. 88 by Czech & Speake.

Zino
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

My holy grail of the moment has to be Back To Black By Kilian , it really is as good as they say

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I can never seem to find my Holy Grail. Everytime I get close, I get attacked by a killer rabbit.....

lmaoooo oh my goodness that was funny!!

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

I am by no means a niche kinda guy, I'm quite the opposite actually, a sucker
    for designer frags.
    So, amoung my male scents DIOR HOMME INTENSE has to be my holy grail.
    It's very luxurious, long lasting, sexy, and somewhat rare in parts of the world.

Of course it could change at any moment, but now it's Bulgari Black

Gengis Khan

Wait, I thought we were all still here because we haven't found it yet!
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

So far it's Declaration, but I'm a newbie.

For me, as of this moment, it's MPG's Santal Noble. Vintage, of course. I've just recently been introduced to it (thanks BN) and was lucky enough to get my hands on a couple of vintage bottles. I'm really enjoying it right now. I'm sure something els-e will come along, but for now, it's the frag that makes me the happiest. There are quite a few, though, that make me smile every time I wear them. Creed's RSL, Dior Homme Intense, Penhaligon's LP No 9, to name a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    I am by no means a niche kinda guy, I'm quite the opposite actually, a sucker
    for designer frags.
    So, amoung my male scents DIOR HOMME INTENSE has to be my holy grail.
    It's very luxurious, long lasting, sexy, and somewhat rare in parts of the world.
    + 1

Thumbs up Re: What is your HOLY GRAIL???

All my wardrobe. But for sentimental reasons i would mention the Caron's POUR UN HOMME, YATAGAN, 3EME HOME, Emilio Pucci's VIVARA, and Robert Piguet FRACAS and BANDIT
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Le No. 3 - Caron
    Eau Pour Homme - Armani
    Jazz - YSL
    [and it would be a tragedy to never wear Quorum again]

While there are fragrances I treasure, I don't have or want to have a "holy grail" fragrance. It is too one dimensional a concept for me.

Guerlain Vetiver Pour Elle
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Right now, I would say Encre Noire, but I'm slowly getting to really love Italian Cypress.

Bulgari Soir
    Armani Code
    Gucci 2
    Gendarme
    Geir
    Grabazzi
    La Nuit YSL
    Rochas

Creed Vintage Tab
    Hermes D'Orange Vert
    Creed BDP
    Guerlain Vintage Jicky

I own these.

akdeluxe
    Last edited by akdeluxe; 11th May 2010 at 04:51 AM.

Many, so far: I came to realize that I favor Aromatic Fougeres and Orientals, specially Spicy and Woody ones. There are two Green chypres I like.

I haven't found mine yet...

My favourite so far is Sonoma Scent Studio's Wood Violet.

However, this scent is NOTHING like what I imagine my Holy Grail would be. Here's to the hunt...

If I could choose only one it would be Amouage Reflection Man.

There are a lot of fragrances I love and which even fit my look better than this, but this scent always, and this will likely sound cheesy or lame, inspires me, in a sense. The concept behind the fragrance, mentioned here by creative director Christopher Chong,

"The primary source of inspiration is the celebration of “you”, the individual. Whoever wears Reflection is the face of the fragrance. We want to empower and to celebrate the individualities of our customers...“Reflection” here means beauty comes from the inside. By wearing Reflection we are proud to be who we are rather than who we appear to be,"

may come off as cliche or cheesy, but I think it fits the profile of the fragrance perfectly. In fact, I think the synergy between the fragrance name, bottle, and packaging comes together with this fragrance more so than almost any other, and I don't doubt that it has, in its own way, deepened my love for the scent.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Nothing yet
    the closest thing I have come across being my HG would be maybe PdN New York
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

HOLY GRAIL = SOTD for me.

I'm looking for..

The concept of a holy grail isn't as difficult to comprehend like some have done on this thread. I've found mine in Tobacco Vanille, but I'm still trying and sampling for the fun of it all. It's not true that some say there's no such thing, try telling me that! It's more than just a great smelling scent. It's like true love with a significant other, you won't really know what love is until u find it, I've found mine.... some haven't, and that's cool, but I don't mind smelling this way forever. It's a bit like getting married, some commit, some don't. But to say there is no such thing as a holy grail means you have yet to find love! I have other scents because I enjoy them, and TV may not even be the best smelling in my collection (step forward Chergui!) But I share no emotion with it like I do my beloved TV.

Bond No.9 Signature Perfume for me!!!
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    Bond No.9 Signature Perfume for me!!!
    Gary
    "Bond, I’m sorry, but I have to ask- is everything okay at home?"

http://scentsofself.wordpress.com/20...ature-perfume/

So, he's not your best friend

Blog Entries

Smile Re: What is your HOLY GRAIL???

Without doubt Mitsouko is my ultimate fragrance.

the first, greener/woodier/more-citrusy batch of CREED Windsor is the closest so far.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post

LOL it never gets old.

Scents that come close to my holy grail:
    L'Egoiste by Chanel
    A Taste of Heaven by By Kilian
    Sushi Imperiale by Bois 1920
    Chergui by Serge Lutens

Yes, I'm an oriental fan.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Amouage Memoir Man

Runner ups: Feuille Verte, Declaration, etc, etc
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

So far, Creed Green Irish Tweed. Nothing close.

I'm sure I'll find something new soon...but for now, I'm definitely wanting Invasion Barbare

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    HOLY GRAIL = SOTD for me.
    Me too
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

Jean Paul Gaultier's Le Male

It's typically between these three current favorites: Rochas Man, Gucci Pour Homme or Versace Pour Homme. These three cover the spectrum for me: gourmand, woods and fresh water.

I don't think I'll ever find anything that tops Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan, though recently By Kilian A Taste of Heaven and Amouage Memoir Man have come close, so I guess those would be my 3!
    My blog on the world of scent and how my relative obsessions with wine and perfume fit into it: smellscape.wordpress.com

My Holy Grail house is Amouage. I own a bunch of EDPs and attars, but that is kind of weaseling out of the question isnt't it? I'd say my favorite incense is Black Tourmaline although, interestingly, I don't wear it that often. It conjures up images of a deep forest grove at midnight in the rain with witches dancing around in black chiffon conjuring up sacred gods and goddesses to do battle with some ancient resurrected evil. Can you tell I read embarrasingly titled sci fi?

Another true holy grail for me is Carnal Flower by Malle. This evokes the complete opposite images describled above. Carnal Flower to me is radiant sunshine, vibrant health, bliss in a bottle.

Lastly, I love love love Portrait of a Lady. Maybe because I get many things I crave all in one bottle: rose, tart raspberry jam, awesome incense, and that neat trick Ropion did with patchouli. It also stays dry and dignified (unlike Angel, which by the way I wore for a decade).

- - -
    Last edited by NewHaarlem; 25th July 2011 at 08:24 PM.

Davidoff's "Relax"!
    Just bought two "new" bottles of the stuff!