Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default looking for a "cheap" masculine scent that women will love

Hi, so I'm looking for a scent that screams masculine. Something a woman would never wear but that makes her melt when she smells. I don't want to smell any bit of feminine. Nothing so strong it is annoying to smell. Nothing TOO popular either. Something I can wear at any time. I'm looking for a signature scent... By cheap I mean something under $100 and generally easy to find, like on the net at least...

I'd appreciate some recommendations! please include a description of why you think I'd enjoy it, if you will. Thank you!
    Last edited by starbloom; 10th May 2010 at 07:28 AM.

Default Re: looking for a "cheap" masculine scent that women will love

I think a good barbershop scent will do you good
    azzaro ph

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Well, if you are as butch as you seem, judged by your post,
    I'd say try out Chanels Antaeus, dosn't get much more masculine
    that that. It's quite potent too, and will last you long. Applyed
    lightly, it could be used as an all around scent.
    Otherwise sample YSL's M7, also über-masculine.
    Have you ever tryed Fahrenheit by Christian Dior?! Imagine a mans toolbox,
    with oil and rust - that's Fahrenheit.

So to conclude; do sample the Trio of Masculinity;

Antaeus - M7 - Fahrenheit
    Last edited by Le Grand Duc; 10th May 2010 at 10:09 AM.

Try Givenchy Xeryus Rouge, masculine, not too popular, women like, not too strong and price less than $100

Rive Gauche. Cheap, masculine, women love it, and its not overly popular in the U.S.

Last edited by Descartes; 23rd January 2012 at 10:59 PM.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ausamamira View Post
    Try Givenchy Xeryus Rouge, masculine, not too popular, women like, not too strong and price less than $100
    Oh God yes, that is indeed good, but it's also a tad feminine!

Some pretty good suggestions already.

If it is available in the US you could also try Dior Fahrenheit Absolute. Nothing feminine in there and a bit more subtle than the original.

Also more of the subtle kind (a little too subtle for me actually): Dunhill Pursuit.

Is Jil Sander Man available in the US?

Another one you should definitely try is Lalique Encre Noir, although my GF doesn´t like it.

Also very good and VERY popular with the ladies: YSL La Nuit De L´Homme.

If you want to smell butch try Coty Stetson - It's apparently what Cowboys smell like.....!

(or +1 for Rive Gauche & Azzaro PH)

Quote Originally Posted by starbloom View Post
    Hi, so I'm looking for a scent that screams masculine. By cheap I mean something under $100 and generally easy to find, like on the net at least...
    OK,,, this my version of 'cheap masculine scent' and still smell manly :
    Get yourself some aftershave. Something like Aqua Velva Musk or Pinaud Clubman. They're about $3 a piece. Or go to the Dollar General and buy yourself the Barbasol Brisk for $1.49. The stuff is awesome and you will smell good.
    As fragrance, let me suggest some Dana - English Leather. That will cost you $4.

This will make you smell manly, not too strong and not annoying and save you $93.

You are welcome...!
    --- If your dog thinks you are the greatest person
    in the world, don't seek a second opinion ---

+1 Rive Gauche PH

Antaeus

When I read cheap, I was assuming that we were down in the Brut (which would have been my answer, actually) price range. However, two that spring to my mind are Aramis Havana and ADP Colonia Intensa. I personally don't think any woman can get away with wearing either one, but I've never had negative comments with either and when I first wore Colonia Intensa I did overhear "oh my god, what is that amazing smell?". It was the OMG bit that sealed it.

I'd recommend giving Davidoff Adventure a try. I had two female coworkers comment on it the first day I wore it to work. More masculine than the array of aquatic and citrus frags on the market right now.

What age group of women are you talking about?

Orange Spice by Creed. I don't see how could it be unisex (smells super masculine to me).

This stuff could be above $100 (the 2.5 oz bottle is below $100 if I reckon), but come to think of it - you won't smell it on the average joe in the bus. Guaranteed.
    Last edited by HammerFist; 10th May 2010 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmo View Post
    What age group of women are you talking about?
    Good point!

Personally, I like Jaipur EdT
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Guerlain's Héritage

+1 Azzaro ph
    Old spice too

My recommendation would be Dunhill for Men (2003). The bottle just says "Dunhill." There's no other name. It's brown juice, though, and seems (IMO) to fit the bill perfectly. The Dunhill (1934) is good, too, but I personally prefer the 2003 version.

Good luck in your quest! Oh, and FWIW, I initially came onto basenotes in order to "find a new signature scent." That was 5 months and 30 or so new bottles ago. Tread lightly, young man! This Basenotes crew'll lure you in!
    Last edited by sirsmellzalot; 10th May 2010 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    I think a good barbershop scent will do you good
    azzaro ph
    +1, great longevity and sillage, masculine all the way.

Michael Kors

You could try Rive Gauche ph, Azzaro ph, Grey Flannel and/or Quorum. They are all are masculine, smell great and are well priced.

Can we narrow it down to fragrances under maybe $20? Under $100 basically lists off 99% of designer fragrances and possibly a few niche fragrances

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy View Post
    Good point!
    Hey my friends. Well, I am 20 years old so....so I guess women from 20-30? It doesn't matter much. I'm not primarily wanting to smell good for women, I just wanna smell masculine. I don't want to smell too young, but not too old. Just like a man.

Wow, seems I've got a lot of sampling to do. Love the recommendations and really appreciate you guys taking the time! More is always welcomed

why do you feel the need to emphasize your gender?
    do you think you are lacking in male qualities?
    interesting..

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    why do you feel the need to emphasize your gender?
    do you think you are lacking in male qualities?
    interesting..
    No no, I just want to try some masculine fragrances. I have only unisex ones and I'd prefer to try something masculine now.

Aramis.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Blog Entries

John Varvatos original. i got a 4.2 Oz for $30 online and it oozes sexy, classy, tuxedo maculinity. its easily the classiest, sophisticated scent i own

+1 for Michael for Men by Michael Kors - very masculine leather/tobacco/spice scent that is very potent, and not very expensive (@$33). Jaipur Homme is also a really good choice for a nice incense of vanilla fagrance - it is a quiet but strong type scent (@$38). 1776 by Elsha can be purchased online on their website for $38 for a huge 8 oz. bottle - nice honey amber leather fragrance.

If cheap, low price is important to you, check out the fragrances for sale on the Basenotes Marketplace. It is a great place to find excellent, slightly used fragrances for big discounts in price!

smeller

Quote Originally Posted by HammerFist View Post
    Orange Spice by Creed. I don't see how could it be unisex (smells super masculine to me).

This stuff could be above $100 (the 2.5 oz bottle is below $100 if I reckon), but come to think of it - you won't smell it on the average joe in the bus. Guaranteed.
    Congratulations, you answer is very useful and on topic, just what the OP asked. Very cheap, under $100 and easy to find.

Dior Homme (EDT or EDP-intense version), Armani Code, Solo by Loewe and Gucci pour Homme II

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy View Post
    If it is available in the US you could also try Dior Fahrenheit Absolute. Nothing feminine in there and a bit more subtle than the original.
    It's not available here in the US. I've been looking for it to no avail but would rather not buy it blind.

Back to the OP, John Varvatos can be purchased at the discount retailers for like $20.
    Last edited by gerbick; 11th May 2010 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    It's not available here in the US. I've been looking for it to no avail but would rather not buy it blind.

Back to the OP, John Varvatos can be purchased at the discount retailers for like $20.
    Still not available?! Definitely a try-before-you-buy kind of frag.

Also worth checking out: Kouros Cologne Sport (my SotD). Not as strong as the original Kouros, women love it on me.

A new addition that I actually just bought today -- Giorgio by Giorgio Beverly Hills, this was a blind buy and recommended to me when I asked somebody that I was looking for a powerhouse, but not too much of a powerhouse. This stuff really hits the spot in all categories, and is as manly as can be; and I already see compliments in the future. In fact here's what happened.. walked into TJ Maxx, bought this, walked out, put it on in the car (just one spray on the arm) and in my head I said "scoooore" this is exactly what I was looking for. Afterward I walked over to Ulta which is in the same plaza, and a lovely woman complimented me the moment I walked in. She worked there and was probably in her mid 30's. It's definitely a more mature fragrance.. and I got a 1.6 oz for 10 bucks, which is cheap in my book.

Anvers by Ulrich Lang

Quote Originally Posted by smeller View Post
    Congratulations, you answer is very useful and on topic, just what the OP asked. Very cheap, under $100 and easy to find.
    Well, thank you. We aim to please!

Sarcasm's in the air..

smeller

You're welcome.

Now if I see a thread in which the OP seeks for luxurious niche recommendations, I'll probably introduce myself, say they are not worth the extra price and suggest something like One Man Show. It costs $9.99 and gets you positively noticed, why to empty your wallet after all???

With a huuuuge picture of it.

Carven Homme. Not easy to find, but not expensive. ALWAYS gets compliments.
    My motto for life: "If you have to choose, choose BOTH."

Animale, Escada, YSL, The Baron, British Sterling, Chanel Pour Mr, Pino Silvestre are all affordable, masculine and have netted compliments from the ladies. It is not likely you will find other guys in the room wearing these, but they are all available in the US. Both Sears and Perfumania have some older masculine scents that you can sample in the store before you buy.

This one is too easy. Halston Z-14, Azzaro Pour Homme and YSL Rive Gauche. Buy all three for less than $75 and you have a great rotation.

Rive Gauche or M7 by yves st laurant

I have too many bottles to count right now. I will tell you over the years my Wife and many other women seem to love C&S #88 on me more than anything else in my collection. Just a tad over your budget at $115.00 but well worth. At Cambridge Chemists.

www.pharmacyny.com/ -
    Last edited by thebeck; 12th May 2010 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by starbloom View Post
    Hey my friends. Well, I am 20 years old so....so I guess women from 20-30? It doesn't matter much. I'm not primarily wanting to smell good for women, I just wanna smell masculine. I don't want to smell too young, but not too old. Just like a man.

Wow, seems I've got a lot of sampling to do. Love the recommendations and really appreciate you guys taking the time! More is always welcomed
    Quorum

A lady friend was viewing my collection last week and she told me that women like the following four types of fragrances on their men (this was her opinion, not mine):

Aquatics
    My recommendation - Creed Millesime Imperial

Fragrances that remind them of their father (barbershop or shaving cream smelling)
    My recommendation - YSL Rive Gauche

Sweet/gourmand
    My recommendation - Dior Homme Intense

Clean "out of the shower"
    My recommendation - Creed Original Vetiver
    "Smell with your nose, not your ears."

ACJIGGA'S FAVORITES - Xerjoff Nio, Profumum Roma Acqua Viva, Neil Morris for Takashimaya, Sonoma Scent Studio Champagne de Bois, Creed Green Irish Tweed, Creed Millesime Imperial, Carolina Herrera Chic for Men, Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Pour Homme, Yves Saint Laurent Opium Pour Homme EDP, Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa Oud & Slumberhouse Jeke extrait

Quote Originally Posted by Vladdypwnz View Post
    Sarcasm's in the air..
    I did realise that - (that's why my previous post ends with a wink smiley)
    Last edited by HammerFist; 12th May 2010 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kingpin View Post
    Rive Gauche. Cheap, masculine, women love it, and its not overly popular in the U.S.
    Excellent stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by kingpin View Post
    This.

Rive Gauche,Michael Kors,Encre Noire

Quote Originally Posted by innerspark View Post
    You could try Rive Gauche ph, Azzaro ph, Grey Flannel and/or Quorum. They are all are masculine, smell great and are well priced.
    If you shop around, you could probably score all of the above for less than $100. I bought big bottles of Grey Flannel and Quorum at Marshall's last week for a total of $25. Still haven't tried the Quorum so I'm lending my endorsement, but the others I'm behind 100%.

I also heartily endorse original Aramis, and Aramis Tuscany.

If you can find it: Chaps by Ralph Lauren. It avoids the ''cheap'' smell, is far from costly, and is as rare as hens teeth now. Georgio by Georgio Beverly Hills has been rereleased after a near 20 year absence and it's a boom-I'm-in-your-face nature at times unless the new company has diluted it. And Old Spice. Seriously.

As for the above $25/bottle: Burberry London since the autumn is upon us soon.

Im loving Baldessarini Ambre. Very masculine and inexpensive. My wife absolutely goes crazy when this is on me. it's a winner for me.
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

Baldessarini Ambre....to be found where?
    TIA,
    Daryl J.

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl J. View Post
    Baldessarini Ambre....to be found where?
    TIA,
    Daryl J.
    Im not big into advertising websites, but here's a place it can be found.

http://www.fragrancenet.com/baldessa...mf/en_US/14174
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

Thanks.

Rive Gauche

DeepSilence

Armani Eau Pour Homme
    Gucci Envy
    Santos De Cartier
    Opium