Code of Conduct

Default Feminite du Bois: Serge Lutens or Shisheido?

I just got a sample of Feminite du Bois by Serge Lutens, and I really love it's quiet, smooth floral/woodsy scent, quite unlike Cherqui or Un Bois Vanille. I was going to get it until I realized that I can still get the Shisheido version of the fragrance from the internet.

I read from the reviews here that the older version is darker and less sweet than the current version, which I guess might make it more masculine. What do you guys think? Have you tried both versions before? How similar is the Shisheido version to the Serge Lutens version? Is the older version more masculine?

Default Re: Feminite du Bois: Serge Lutens or Shisheido?

I have smelled a Shiseido version that was in the dark brown, slim and curvy bottle that my wife bought about 12 or 13 years ago, and it was a scent that a man could easily wear comfortably; I never wore it simply because I was never crazy about the fragrance anyway. However I definitely think of it as suitable for both men and women. I found it to be dark, spicy, woody and very herbal. I don't know if this helps you because I don't know if what I smelled was the "old" version.

Quote Originally Posted by supperman View Post
    I just got a sample of Feminite du Bois by Serge Lutens, and I really love it's quiet, smooth floral/woodsy scent, quite unlike Cherqui or Un Bois Vanille. I was going to get it until I realized that I can still get the Shisheido version of the fragrance from the internet.

I read from the reviews here that the older version is darker and less sweet than the current version, which I guess might make it more masculine. What do you guys think? Have you tried both versions before? How similar is the Shisheido version to the Serge Lutens version? Is the older version more masculine?
    In my opinion, the Shiseido version is not less sweet than the current version, in fact, it`s the opposite. The Shiseido version is thicker, really intense on a sweet boozy plum base that lacks soul on the Serge Lutens version. To me, the actual Feminite du Bois has gone on a diet and lost most of it`s charm.

I was shocked when I smelt the new SL version, it was like they had taken the body from FdB and turned it into something sweet and bland.

Now I own the parfum verison and body creme of the Shisiedo and for me more stark in the cedar and not so hyped up sweet honey.

The original could easily be worn by a man.
    DONNA

Dependent

The Shiseido one is thicker, fuller, more substantial, and even though it is sweet, it isn't a syrupy-honeyed kind of sweet like the SL version. The SL, I agree with donna255, is a "bland", thin version of the original. I find the plum brighter and sweeter, and more distinct in the SL version, though on the whole the scent feels very lacking. Definitely get the original Shiseido!
    Last edited by MFJ; 10th May 2010 at 01:15 PM.

I own the Shiseido but have never tried the Lutens.

In my experience, I have to apply about an hour before I go anywhere because the topnotes come off very hissy, in a manner not entirely unrelated to hairspray. It might have something to do with the way orange blossom is used in this.

The Broadway phase eventually peters out, replaced by the famous plummy, violet-tinged cedarwood accord. These three pillars really ought to combine to produce something substantially more melancholy than Féminité du Bois but manage instead a wry smiling luster not unlike Cruella de Vil in polite company. I can only assume this effect comes from a double shot of Iso E Super, bothersome to others but which I find marvelous and slightly unsettling. In the absence of a frigid-hearted ice queen to call my own, I will just have to wear FdB myself.

My advice would be to sample the Shiseido side-by-side with the Lutens, if only for your continuing fragrance education. Come to it, I will probably do the same.
    Last edited by Emlynevermore; 10th May 2010 at 01:14 PM.

Shiseido version is inexplicably beautiful. SL is good. Need I say more?
    If fragrance has a gender, so does all art.

I greatly prefer the Shiseido version, so I'd suggest just buying it. If you buy it and you're in the small minority that disagrees, you could probably fairly easily sell or swap it away.

The Original Shiseido one
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

I own the SL version and even though I enjoy it pretty much, I find the drydown so faint on me as if it was diluted while I expect it more, so guess that all the "darker, thicker, full-bodied, etc." elements in the Shiseido version would be complete!
    Last edited by Cute_cute_baby; 11th May 2010 at 10:04 AM.
    How does sunshine smell like?

Whao! Looks like the Shisheido version gets the nod. Well, I guess the answer is clear I must say that I kind of like the SL version as well though. I don't think I have tried a woody scent that is light like this.
    Last edited by supperman; 11th May 2010 at 10:45 AM.

I find the new, SL version to be only slightly different, perhaps less intense is the best description, but it's certainly close enough. I always loved smelling FdB, but wearing it was always a challenge for me, it brings to my mind memories of those drug store chocolate covered cherries that were so popular in the 70s.

I'm so sad the original is so hard to find now-a-days, I love the SL version but it is light and doesn't last very long.
    ~~~~ www.nascio.com.au ~~~~

My wife has had both (doesn't have the Shiseido version anymore) has come to like the current but also said that longevity was somewhat of an issue for her.

I ended up buying a bottle of the SL version. A few sprays, and I get just the amount of longevity I should hope for from any fragrance. I'll get a decant of the original Shiseido version and do a side by side one day.

get the original.