Code of Conduct

Default B*Men - familiar(?)

Last Friday I went into a local pharmacy store (Superdrug for those who know it) to stock up on deoderants. TThought I'd have a look at the frags there and was surprised to see the 100ml Mugler B*Men (in the metal rechargable bottle) for £15. I've never really bothered with Mugler - I find A*Men and its flankers, the original Mugler cologne and most of the Le Parfum range way too sweet for me - but, knowing B*Men was released as a darker version of A*Men, plus the fact it's discontinued, I thought I'd give it a go.

I like it a lot. Longevity leaves a bit to be desired (it had almost completely gone in about 4 hours), but otherwise it's a really pleasant juice. One thing that's bothering me (bothering is the wrong word, but...) - it reminds me of something from my personal fragrance history. I know I've smelt it before, but I don't know in what. The notes listed in the pyramid are, presumably, not complete, with only the rhubarb and sequoia a bit unusual. I've scoured the pages with frags including those notes and nothing rings a bell.

Can anyone think of anything that would've been around about 10-15 years ago that smelt very similar to this?

Default Re: B*Men - familiar(?)

Diesel Plus Plus smells similar but without the coffee note. (but it also smells a little animalic) Also -- though something newer, Tom Ford's Oud Wood reminds me of it but a stripped down version.

I too get poor longevity with B*Men.. at least as of late I was when i was finish up my bottle. Though i remember while ago and even when I did my review on it, I was getting a good 8 hours every wearing. I actually think that the heat doesn't help it project (it's been very hot in Florida with 90-100% humidity) When I last wore it and got good longevity I reckon it was much cooler out. Overall though, I really enjoy it.. I got a 1.7 @ TJ Maxx for 15 bucks about 2 years ago and I bought it blind. I haven't seen it in stores since :/
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 10th May 2010 at 12:11 PM.

Definitely not new or recent, so it's not the Tom Ford. Diesel Plus Plus doesn't ring any bells - I've definitely never owned it, nor do I think I've ever smelt it. But perhaps I tested it at some stage. I'm sure it's a frag I owned, though.

Don't think I can blame the heat for the longevity - it's a very mild May day here in the UK and humidity is way down in the 50%s (low for this time of year). Probably just doesn't last on my skin, is all.

GB, are you sure you recognize it as something you wore, or could it just be a scent you've smelled before? I felt the same way when I first smelled it, but what it reminded me of was of course the original Angel for women, which is one of my favorite scents for women.

I love BMen. Luckily I get good longevity and sillage from it.

I'd guess L'Instant Homme. Also, there is Ciel Mon Jardin!, which includes strong rhubarb and vanilla.

Good score.
    I also recently paid A$15 for a 50ml bottle of this fabulous (to me) but otherwise not much loved scent.

The only thing it has ever reminded me of, is some of the notes in A*men.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 10th May 2010 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    GB, are you sure you recognize it as something you wore, or could it just be a scent you've smelled before? I felt the same way when I first smelled it, but what it reminded me of was of course the original Angel for women, which is one of my favorite scents for women.

I love BMen. Luckily I get good longevity and sillage from it.
    I'm almost certain it's one I've previously owned, but there is a chance it's one I've only tested. Either way it's a distant and not a recent memory.

Bigsly - not L'Instant Homme, nor Ciel Mon Jardin (which I've never even heard of).

It's on the tip of my tongue......ooohhhh, how annoying!

There is something in Cannabis Santal by Fresh that reminds me of B*Men. A certain slightly-burnt-foody note/accord.
    I don't particularly like that.
    In reading the reviews for CS, I saw at least one reference to its similarity to A*Men's body spray. So I can see the connection to B*Men there too.
    I got rid of my B*Men. Gorgeous bottle though.

It has a very marked musk note, the same one it was quite popular in scents released during the 1970's. The reason why I am mentioning this is because I have a bottle of Avon's Musk originally released in the 1970's and it does share notes with B*Men. At the same time, I bought a small vial of synthetic Musk EO which happens to be the main note present in Avon's Musk, Wild Country and Canoé. I have to note that this musk note is not the same one present in Kiehl's or Jovan's: it is not as sweet, maybe due to the absence of floral notes. Some reviewers mention rhubarb notes in B*Men, but IMHO they are confusing this with the musky notes I mentioned above.

So, chances are you are remembering a identifying a prominent musky note in some fragrance worn in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    It has a very marked musk note, the same one it was quite popular in scents released during the 1970's. The reason why I am mentioning this is because I have a bottle of Avon's Musk originally released in the 1970's and it does share notes with B*Men. At the same time, I bought a small vial of synthetic Musk EO which happens to be the main note present in Avon's Musk, Wild Country and Canoé. I have to note that this musk note is not the same one present in Kiehl's or Jovan's: it is not as sweet, maybe due to the absence of floral notes. Some reviewers mention rhubarb notes in B*Men, but IMHO they are confusing this with the musky notes I mentioned above.

So, chances are you are remembering a identifying a prominent musky note in some fragrance worn in the past.
    DING DING DING DING!

Not only is your last sentence correct, you've only gone and hit the nail on the head - the original (and much missed by me) pre-reformulation Avon Musk!

You, sir, are a bloody genius.

Quote Originally Posted by great_badir View Post
    ... You, sir, are a bloody genius.
    Ooops! I am blushing, but flattered. Thanks!