Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Royal Bain de Caron - vintage?

So, yesterday I spotted a large, splash, champagne-bottle-shaped bottle of this. It's been years since I first tested this (and hated it.) Since then, I have come a long way in acquiring a taste for certain powdery fragrances.

Luca Turin mentioned that the feminine, Flower by Kenzo, smells like vintage Royal Bain de Caron. I like Flower (and own the flanker Flower (Winter Flowers), but I still want the opportunity to smell vintage BdC. So...

Does anyone know how to tell the bottles / boxes of vintage BdC?

The box / bottle I saw yesterday looked like this: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 10th May 2010 at 10:38 PM.

Default Re: Royal Bain de Caron - vintage?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    So, yesterday I spotted a large, splash, champagne-bottle-shaped bottle of this. It's been years since I first tested this (and hated it.) Since then, I have come a long way in acquiring a taste for certain powdery fragrances.

Luca Turin mentioned that the feminine, Flower by Kenzo, smells like vintage Royal Bain de Caron. I like Flower (and own the flanker Flower (Winter Flowers), but I still want the opportunity to smell vintage BdC. So...

Does anyone know how to tell the bottles / boxes of vintage BdC?

The box / bottle I saw yesterday looked like this: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg
    Mike,
    It's surprising, but this style bottle was current up to a couple of years ago at least. Maybe it's still sold in this form, especially in larger quantities, but when I got my bottle five or so years ago it came in the fish bottle. The store where I bought it had only recently sold its bottle like the one you show in the link, but it was in some 200ml or larger size. I've seen smaller champagne bottles like this too. I guess my point is that there isn't necessarily any age, or much age, to juice in such bottles.

Sorry I can't help much more than that. Perhaps other posters know more and can help.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Basenotes Institution

Thanks Chris. Fish bottle?

Thanks Chris. Fish bottle?
    Blast, now I should go through learning about finding and posting pictures. I haven't because I see myself as a text guy.

Anyway, the fish bottle is the more standard Caron bottle for women's scents now, and looks like a fish stood on its tail, getting wider at the center as you go up from the tail/base, and tapering to the spray top. RBdC comes in it, Parfum Sacre does, Bellodgia (Bellogia?), and a bunch of others I've seen.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I'm certain this is vintage because the name is the original Royal Bain de Champagne. (Click on thumbnail)
    I recall seeing the RBdC extrait in a champagne-shaped bottle, but there are likely many other bottle shapes with vintage juice.

DSCN0898.jpg

Basenotes Plus

I have used this scent for over 30 years. As long as it says Royal Bain de Champagne (not RB de Caron), it is vintage. I purchased both in the champagne bottle shape and the type pictured in jdemeters post.

Basenotes Institution

Ah...the Champagne in the title makes total sense. Thank you everyone!

I think this is the bottle that Chris is talking about:

Even though this one is Bellodigia, my non-vintage RBdC is in this type of bottle.

Basenotes Plus

Chris, this is known as the "peppercorn" bottle at Caron.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Basenotes Institution

Oh thanks shades...yes I'm familiar with that bottle. Peppercorn bottle...really..?

Basenotes Institution

One more question: Has this ever been made available in any other formulation besides Eau de Toilette?

Blog Entries

Mikeperez23; As far as I can recall the EDT was the only concentration. As you likely know this fragrance was according to lore formulated for a very wealthy American, some say it was a News Paper Magnate of fame and was desinged to replace real champagne used in the bath water of his guests. Later Caron decided to make it available to the public. I stress that this is what I have heard so, it would be interesting to see if others can verify the Lore attached to this fragrance. I have always like this fragrance but longevity is negligeable.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 12th May 2010 at 03:28 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    Mikeperez23; As far as I can recall the EDT was the only concentration. As you likely know this fragrance was according to lore formulated for a very wealthy American, some say it was a News Paper Magnate of fame and was desinged to replace real champagne used in the bath water of his guests. Later Caron decided to make it available to the public. I stress that this is what I have heard so, it would be interesting to see if others can verify the Lore attached to this fragrance. I have always like this fragrance but longevity is negligeable.
    So you've smelled the vintage juice N_Tesla?

Blog Entries

mikeperez23; It is beautifull. If only it had longevity. Flower is similar but Royal Bain is brighter I think.

So you've smelled the vintage juice N_Tesla?