Code of Conduct

Default Best Green, Leafy Fragrances

Don't know why this winter i'm wanting to discover some fragrances that are outside my usual choices, which include in general spicy, incensy, boozy, sweet fragrances. I'm interesting in exploring some fragrances that has a green, leafy, autumn aura. Fragrances that makes you think of fields or gardens, like Eau de Campagne from Sisley and Fleurs de Bois from Miller Harris.
    Which ones do you recommend me to test?

Default Re: Best Green, Leafy Fragrances

I'm always glad to see a GREEN thread.
    Eau de Campagne certainly fits the green, leafy mode.
    Another is Green, green, green and green by Miller & Bertaux.
    Note -- for me, green & leafy = spring rather than autumn.
    Last edited by odysseusm; 11th May 2010 at 02:45 AM.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

vetiver (1948) creed if you can find it, guerlain has a vetiver too

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    I'm always glad to see a GREEN thread.
    Eau de Campagne certainly fits the green, leafy mode.
    Another is Green, green, green and green by Miller & Bertaux.
    Note -- for me, green & leafy = spring rather than autumn.
    Is Miller & Bertaux hard to find online? I have never saw this brand...
    I think that there is green spring and green autumn. The spring green to me has something slithgly sweet and colorful on the smell, while the autumn green is dark, restrained, dry.

Molinard's Rafale has a really nice fern quality that makes me think of big green leaves. It's simple but very calming and elegant in a way that grows on me.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

i think i'm going to have to subscribe to this thread! i, myself, have found myself reaching for my bottle of mpg garrigue now that the temperatures have started rising here in (recently flooded) nashville and am glad to remember how nice and refreshing it is. i got a bottle of hermes concentree de orange vert and it's really, really nice! waiting on the creed boutique to get a shipment of selection verte, as it's my number one green summer scent thus far and i truly don't see myself ever being without some. also, try bond no. 9 central park if you can get a good price on it.

eric b
    Last edited by e-dub; 11th May 2010 at 03:26 AM.

L'Artisan's Eau also seems to press the Eau de Campagne button for me. (Never tried the Miller & Bertaux).

Amouage Ciel Man might be worth checking out - I find it related to MPG Garrigue (and GIT, which is great)

Darker green, for me at least, would be French Lover (Bois d'Orage) from Malle.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 11th May 2010 at 03:12 AM.

DeepSilence

Curve For Men(1996)

My favorite green fragrance right now is Chanel No. 19 EdP: green with soft florals.

Blog Entries

The greenest, leafiest frag ever is Diptyque's Eau de Lierre.

I also enjoy Green Green Green and Green, but I find it more herbal than leafy - more like bay leaves than green grass.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    The greenest, leafiest frag ever is Diptyque's Eau de Lierre.
    Nice to see I'm not alone in liking this one. I think this would be a definite buy for me in a hot climate.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    Nice to see I'm not alone in liking this one. I think this would be a definite buy for me in a hot climate.
    Good point. I forgot about Eau de Lierre. A great green indeed. So is Chanel No.19 that Supperman mentions.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Eau de Lierre -- I tried this a long time ago, I gotta try it again & have been thinking of doing just that.
    I don't know about the availability of M&B online, perhaps others can comment. I bought mine in a shop.
    rickbr's comment, "the autumn green is dark, restrained, dry" makes me think of Rainforest by Ayala Moriel -- quite an amazing dark green scent. It is profiled in the most recent Basenotes article about natural scents.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Ayala Moriel does another green fragrance I quite like - Ayalitta, a very green chypre to my nose.

Grey Flannel. Too much green to handle.
    If fragrance has a gender, so does all art.

Green Valley
    Bowling Green
    DV (Be careful.Over spraying is painful)

akdeluxe

Not sure if it's an autumn scent, but Diptyque's Philosykos smells EXACTLY like some kind of wet fig tree with a very very strong leaf/plant smell.

Actually most of Diptyque's fragrances have a plant vibe to them apparently, I've only tried Philosykos though.

I enjoy Calandre. Grey Flannel and Narciso Rodriguez for Hime are also nice in small amount.

DeepSilence

How About Escape? does it have worth to buy?
    Last edited by DeepSilence; 11th May 2010 at 06:23 AM.

+3 on Chanel No. 19 edp. I don't do "green." Pretty much everything I have is an oriental or gourmand. But No. 19 is different. A sharp and bitter dark green that hangs around for a long time. A lovely rose and sandalwood appear after a while. So it's really a rose scent in the end, but you can't ever shake the "green." It's also a typical Chanel (read: aldehydes). For me the edp is nicely balanced, while the edt is too sharp and bitter.

Also mentioned above is Hermes' Eau d'Orange Verte Concentree. I haven't tried the concentree, but the original is a nice dry green, but very fleeting.
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

Bond No 9's Gramercy Park is an ivy laden leafy fragrance, one of the few Bonds I can connect with.

Quote Originally Posted by jcrich View Post
    Bond No 9's Gramercy Park is an ivy laden leafy fragrance, one of the few Bonds I can connect with.
    That is a lovely scent, I like it a lot.
    A quirky dry green Bond No. 9 is Wall Street. Quirky in that it is supposed to smell like crisp green bank notes! I kind of like that too.
    odysseusm

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    vetiver (1948) creed if you can find it, guerlain has a vetiver too
    How many vetivers does Creed carry? I have an impression that is more than one, don`t? I`ve tried one a time ago, and while it was green, grassy, it didn`t captivate me and didn`t last longe on me.

Vetiver Guerlain is a great one, but it goes on me on a sweet direction that I want to avoid this time. I`ve been already curious to try the old vetiver and the extreme one too.

Quote Originally Posted by e-dub View Post
    i think i'm going to have to subscribe to this thread! i, myself, have found myself reaching for my bottle of mpg garrigue now that the temperatures have started rising here in (recently flooded) nashville and am glad to remember how nice and refreshing it is. i got a bottle of hermes concentree de orange vert and it's really, really nice! waiting on the creed boutique to get a shipment of selection verte, as it's my number one green summer scent thus far and i truly don't see myself ever being without some. also, try bond no. 9 central park if you can get a good price on it.

eric b
    Can you describe Garrigue?
    I`ve already owned to MPG frags, Bois Turquie and Iris Bleu Gris, and while they were great, I couldn`t love them too...

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    L'Artisan's Eau also seems to press the Eau de Campagne button for me. (Never tried the Miller & Bertaux).

Amouage Ciel Man might be worth checking out - I find it related to MPG Garrigue (and GIT, which is great)

Darker green, for me at least, would be French Lover (Bois d'Orage) from Malle.
    Ciel is interesting, but to me is more like a citrus with some animalic touches and herbal undertones.

Bois d`Orage makes me think of vegetables. On me the pimento note is easy to be detectable, and gives me a peppery, salty, leguminous feel that goes in a woody and patchouly direction. Something on Terre d`Hermes pure parfum seems distantly related to this one to me

Quote Originally Posted by Hamid View Post
    How About Escape? does it have worth to buy?
    I have already owned a mini of Escape, and to me it`s more like fruity and citrus. But I don`t like it, on me it has a strange synthetic mix feeling of fruity apple juice and citrus shampoo =/ My fave CK until today is Crave, great for summer days

Quote Originally Posted by supperman View Post
    My favorite green fragrance right now is Chanel No. 19 EdP: green with soft florals.
    Which kind of soft florals? White ones?

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Eau de Lierre -- I tried this a long time ago, I gotta try it again & have been thinking of doing just that.
    I don't know about the availability of M&B online, perhaps others can comment. I bought mine in a shop.
    rickbr's comment, "the autumn green is dark, restrained, dry" makes me think of Rainforest by Ayala Moriel -- quite an amazing dark green scent. It is profiled in the most recent Basenotes article about natural scents.
    Maybe Rainforest is what I`m looking for so. I`ll see if i can find samples or decants of it online.
    Dark green scents, is what i`m looking for. Not so dark as Sycomore from Chanel, which I like but it`s so dry on me that makes it hard to wear sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    Ayala Moriel does another green fragrance I quite like - Ayalitta, a very green chypre to my nose.
    Oh, green chypres would suits me well too. I like mossy balanced fragrances and it`d be interesting a mossy one with green notes.

An honorable mention goes to the now discontinued, yet affordably marketed Horizon by Guy Laroche (still available for fractions of the price tags most designer frags carry) as a classic, almost barbershop-like, restrained and conservative, very discreet and unobtrusive leafy-airy-marine frag (but not watery in the sense of most fashionable aquatics) with mature herbal and woody undertones

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    An honorable mention goes to the now discontinued, yet affordably marketed Horizon by Guy Laroche (still available for fractions of the price tags most designer frags carry) as a classic, almost barbershop-like, restrained and conservative, very discreet and unobtrusive leafy-airy-marine frag (but not watery in the sense of most fashionable aquatics) with mature herbal and woody undertones
    Oh, I`ve already saw that for excellent prices, but since i`ve never saw so much comments about it, it never got my attention. It seems interesting according to your description

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    Which kind of soft florals? White ones?
    I smell mainly jasmine, but I think there's a hint of rose as well.

I always think of Havanna as a green and leafy scent :-s

All of these are good!

*Eau d' Sisley #2 - fresh cut greens with spring flowers
    Lacoste Booster - green grass essence mixed with a Rive Gauche PH type of incense spice.
    Byredo Pulp - bitter greens - very pure
    Chanel No. 19 - flowers + cut greens + wood
    Hinoki, CdG - cedar greens
    *Angelique Sous La Pluie, Frederic Malle - green vetiver, angelica, pepper = the most pleasant green fragrance.
    * Bois d' Orage, Frederic Malle - damp green forest floor after a rain storm.

* my favorites of this group.

Two that make me think of earth and green are:

Green Irish Tweed and Bvlgari PH Soir
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

Three very green scents:

Kiehl´s Forest Rain....is watery green with sweet fresh tones.

Etro Palais Jamis....Uber green, leafy and sappy.

L´Occitane Vetyver: Mossy Green (being myself a big fan of the smell of brazilian mata atlantica, this frag reminds exactly of the smell of it after it rained: mossy dam soil with green plants and rooty smells)

cheers

Pablo

Lately I've been enjoying "Cowboy Grass" from DS and Durga. Picture a super-dry field of Midwestern grass. It is described as "A scent of wild grass and flourished herbs; earthy and slightly smoky. It features the notes of Haiti vetiver, white sage and clary sage."

A couple of others not mention so far;

Paul Smith Story - one of the best green leafy fragrances of the last few years. Ivy and green rose.
    Givenchy Green Energy - green leafy with mossy basenotes.
    Gendarme Green - one of the greenest there is.

Let me add one more;

Lancome Miracle L'Aquatonic - a little softer than the above, but still unmistakeably green.
    Last edited by Simon Moon; 11th May 2010 at 06:30 PM.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Mugler Cologne
    Givenchy Vetyver

Calamus by CdG Series: Leaves.

Frederick Malle French Lover
    Gucci Nobile
    Diptyque Virgilio
    Penhaligons English Fern

Basenotes Institution

While I think that a lot of suggestions on this thread are green, many of them are not 'autumn' type green scents.

Having said that, I agree with Calamus by Comme des Garcons, Cowboy Grass by DS & Durga and will add one that hasn't been mentioned: Route du Vetiver by MPG.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    While I think that a lot of suggestions on this thread are green, many of them are not 'autumn' type green scents.
    Mike's comment makes me ponder the issue of SEASONS in green scents. I offer my take at a taxonomy -- others will have different views, no doubt.

Spring green: tender, delicate, sap. Cool mornings, dew. Cool into warm. Bright
    Summer green: dry, dusty, garrigue-style. Warmth, sunshine, brightness and heat
    Autumn green: Warm into cool, moisture into dryness. The melancholy ebb of energy; scents of decaying leaves, forest floors. Darkness and cool.
    And winter green? Why, pine and coniferous scents, of course!
    Really, what other "color" offers so many facets!
    odysseusm

Ithink autumn may vary depending on your geographic location. Ibelieve that Brazil doesnt have a typical "falling leaves" autumn....
    I personally associate autumn with moss, pine and cedar, liquidambar and smoke. But in brazil autumn is more the "rainy" damp, green season. Lots of flowering orchids, very fragrant.
    What odysseusm says made me wonder what autumn can be in a universal basis....

cheers

Pablo
    Last edited by Halo; 12th May 2010 at 04:58 PM.

I like what Halo is saying about the universality of seasons. Spring and summer (I assume) are basically the same everywhere. But autumn and winter have very different connotations depending on your geographical location. The degree of cold that is possible is a key factor. Interesting. Cool and damp, vs. cold and dry...
    odysseusm

Quote Originally Posted by Halo View Post
    Ithink autumn may vary depending on your geographic location. Ibelieve that Brazil doesnt have a typical "falling leaves" autumn....
    I personally associate autumn with moss, pine and cedar, liquidambar and smoke. But in brazil autumn is more the "rainy" damp, green season. Lots of flowering orchids, very fragrant.
    What Adysseusm says made me wonder what autumn can be in a universal basis....

cheers

Pablo
    Pablo, what you described is applicable to the North and Northeast areas in Brazil. The South and Southeast ones has winter and autumn more defined. The overall air aspect is dry and cold in autumn and winter. I live in São Paulo, and here we have at autumn and winter cold days, not as cold as north winters, but cold days that get closer to 5ºCelsius

Aztek conjures up the leafy smell .

L'Artisan's Fleur de Liane.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

I would like to offer a suggestion, but just to clarify. When we are talking of autumn, it's been brought to my attention by previous posters that autumn in Brazil is different than what we consider to be autumn. I did a search of autumn in Brazil, and for comparisons sake, is this what you're going for?

Autumn in Brazil

Because this is what I normally associate with Autumn (by the way, my absolute MOST favorite season!)

"Autumn in New England"
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

DeepSilence

Awesome pics !! really great!

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I would like to offer a suggestion, but just to clarify. When we are talking of autumn, it's been brought to my attention by previous posters that autumn in Brazil is different than what we consider to be autumn. I did a search of autumn in Brazil, and for comparisons sake, is this what you're going for?

Autumn in Brazil

Because this is what I normally associate with Autumn (by the way, my absolute MOST favorite season!)

"Autumn in New England"
    No, the autumn here in Sao Paulo is not at all like the first pic you posted. This looks more like a North/Northeast autumn. The autumn where i live is more like this:

Last edited by rickbr; 12th May 2010 at 11:29 PM.

Lanvin For Men (1979)
    Revillon French Line

Aramis Devin ...Maybe?
    Last edited by EarNoseThroat; 13th May 2010 at 10:23 AM.

Yup, that looks pretty much like New England actually; nothing green about it actually. Maybe you should choose a spicy or amber fragrance instead. Maybe L'air du dessert Marocain? :P