Code of Conduct

Thread: Holy cinnamon!

Default Holy cinnamon!

I bought Zirh Ikon a couple weeks ago, but never really wore it. It was just a blind buy steal (2.5 oz for 7.99 @ Marshall's) that I couldn't resist. I wore it once and was like "ehh" doesn't seem very versatile. Needless to say.. now that I've spent some more time on it, it definitely reminds me of Obsession. Usually when somebody asks for a cinnamon recommendation I say either Obsession or Diesel Zero Plus; but I think Ikon blows them both out of the water. It has an extremely potent and powerful cinnamon opening, perhaps the strongest I've smelled. Obsession achieves it but is also powdery and somewhat cloying, Zero Plus has a very strange texture that sometimes I love and other times I hate. Ikon though, wow. What a blast on cinnamon, I see no relation to Obsession Night as many have said.. rather much more like the original Obsession. Obsession Night is one of the worst frags I've ever smelled to be honest, but that's another topic all together. The dry down i think is where it gets more compared to Obsession Night, I really don't get it.. maybe just a little. It smells more like cinnamon and burnt rubber, maybe even tar. It's different to say the least.

Folks looking for a pure powerful cinnamon opening and even cinnamon remaining throughout the fragrance, look no further than Zirh Ikon.. it dominates the cinnamon!
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 11th May 2010 at 08:24 AM.

Default Re: Holy cinnamon!

It's a good recipe, but the quality could be better.
    I own one and a half 100 ml bottles. One I got recently because it got ridiculously cheap.
    In fact I'm currently wearing it.

I never thought think cinnamon was that frontal and I still don't.
    I also would have never compared it with obsession because all I can smell in obsession is cheap, cloying amber. ew.

ps: also It's the first fragrance I bought by searching with notes. the notes were cardamom, cinnamon and patchouli
    Last edited by sarıpatates; 11th May 2010 at 09:05 AM.

Great to know about this one! I love cinnamon scents, and Zero Plus is one that i appreciate for that fruity-spicy cinnamon thing that nevers get to intense to become hard to use. I like the cinnamon on Jaipur pour Homme too, but this one is not as easy to wear and seems to go on a so formal style that it makes hard to wear. I`ve really enjoyed lolita lempicka`s take on cinnamon in their recent launch, Si Lolita. It seems to fit somewhere between Zero Plus casual cinnamon and Jaipur Homme social cinnamon, in a scent that as a cinnamon aura married with a delicious gummy resinous drydown. If they could only put it in a not hideous bottle, and put some woods at the base and short some of the fruity aura, i think t`d be a great masculine for guys afraid of wearing feminine frags (which is not my case, so i'd happily wear SI)

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    It's a good recipe, but the quality could be better.
    I own one and a half 100 ml bottles. One I got recently because it got ridiculously cheap.
    In fact I'm currently wearing it.

I never thought think cinnamon was that frontal and I still don't.
    I also would have never compared it with obsession because all I can smell in obsession is cheap, cloying amber. ew.

ps: also It's the first fragrance I bought by searching with notes. the notes were cardamom, cinnamon and patchouli
    I think obsession is one of that frags that each one has a different perception of it. To me this one is strong on the green dirty galbanum and in notes that makes me think of coconut. It`s a scent that smell sometimes like musty wood on me, and in others just a bright woody-ambery-spicy thing. Because of this unpredictable behavior I`ve never liked it so much and hard want to wear my 15ml mini of it...

If you want a great cinnamon frag, track down Jacques Bogart Witness. Ikon doesn't so much smell of cinnamon but of cloves and cedar much like that found in Dunhill Edition.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    If you want a great cinnamon frag, track down Jacques Bogart Witness. Ikon doesn't so much smell of cinnamon but of cloves and cedar much like that found in Dunhill Edition.
    Witness is the king of cinnamon.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Blog Entries

Thanks for this thread. I am quite a devoted cinnamon enthusiast so I will be looking for this fragrance perhaps at my local Marshal's.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

If you want a great cinnamon frag, track down Jacques Bogart Witness.....
    Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Witness is the king of cinnamon.
    +1 on both.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I've been really enjoying PdN Maharadjah. And if you're a lover of rosemary notes, wait until the recent reformulation is available in the US.

Maybe Ikon uses cinnamon to compose the clove smell, since a lot of fragrances uses a combination of cinnamon and carnation to produce the clove smell, so it`s possible that this has a cinnamon that composes a clove smell but it`s detectable by some noses only

eau lente and CDG Edp... yummmm

I can't believe how good the Zero Plus drydown is, though the top feels "synthetic" to me. Witness has a bit too much going on for me, or perhaps it's the effect of aldehydes. Once you get to the Witness drydown, which is good, you don't get much cinnamon any more (or perhaps it's olfactory fatigue for me).

Ikon is one of my favourite underappreciated gems. For the 8 bucks it's commanding at Marshalls now, it's an absolute steal. I picked up a gift set (4.2 EDT and deo stick) from there when I started getting into fragrances, and still love it just as much.
    I refuse to sink.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Witness is absolutely the Cinnamon bomb..and, available online for around $5.00 US for the 1.7 oz bottle.

Basenotes Institution

I really wanted to like Ikon, but I found it and Zero Plus very synthetic and a bit hissy on my skin. I prefer my cinnamon prominent scents a bit more natural smelling.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 12th May 2010 at 02:19 AM.

Flibustier is potent cinnamon.

I agree on the Zero Plus, it has more of a synthetic feeling than smell to me though.. there's just something that's hard to explain about it; but it is a cinnamon bomb indeed.. I just can't wear it continuously or I'll start to hate it.

Ikon I really get much more cinnamon than clove, but they combine together very nicely.. then switches into a strange yet appealing dry down which reminds me of something far more expensive.. perhaps from the Tom Ford Private Collection. Very high quality at a low price, loaded with cinnamon.. but not your typical synthetic cinnamon as in Zero Plus, Obsession, or even their fellow Corduroy.