Code of Conduct

Default Fragrances similar to some that were discontinued (unfortunatelly)

Can anyone indicate fragrances that are similar (as similar as possilbe) to the ones below? They were great fragrances and I would love to find something to replace them. Or can you indicate were can any of these be found?

1. paco rabanne pour elle
    2. laura biagiotti venezia
    3. laura biagiotti venezia pastello
    4. ralph lauren glamour
    5. laura biagiotti tempore
    6. givenchy organza indecence
    7. armani sensi
    8. givenchy fleur d'interdit
    9. shiseido feminite du bois
    10. cartier must & must II
    11. d&g by
    12. rochas alchimie
    13. cacharel gloria

for men:
    14. gucci nobile
    15. hermes bel ami
    16. d&g by man
    17. givenchy insense

Default Re: Fragrances similar to some that were discontinued (unfortunatelly)

Hi Ampersand

number 9. Shiseido Feminités de bois: not exactly the same but very near is Serge Lutens' Feminités de Bois, and also from Serge Lutens Bois de Violette which can be found (this last one) at http://www.salons-shiseido.com/ Les Salons du Palais Royal Shisheido. Luca Turin says Serge Lutens did some variations on his Shiseido Feminités de Bois (I think 5 variations) and this is one of them.
    Both come near to the original.

Venezia - Ginestet Botrytis
    Organza Indecence - Joop Nuit d'Ete (hard to find though)

Another suggestion for something similar to Feminite ud bois is Dior's Dolce Vita. It's sweeter, less woody and maybe fruitier than Feminite du bois,but quite close.

Quote Originally Posted by ineespenes View Post
    Another suggestion for something similar to Feminite ud bois is Dior's Dolce Vita. It's sweeter, less woody and maybe fruitier than Feminite du bois,but quite close.
    Somebody else told me about Dolce Vita and I tried it, but did not find it similar to Feminité.
    I read somewhere that it has been reformulated, (?) so maybe that's why it does not remind me at all to FdB.

Thanks a lot to all of you that answered so promptly, I look forward to test these substitutes and I hope they will be what I was looking for.

I look forward for help with the others, too. For instance nowadays I am searching especially for something to replace 1, 4 and 5 from the list and I am positive that you will help me.

Appreciate it!

Let me add another one to the list above:

18. Fendi Life Essences Uomo - I am looking for it since 2009 and no luck until now!

Organza Indecence has been released in new packaging, harder to find, but it's out there.

And as mentioned above, Feminite du Bois is now released under the Serge Lutens line instead of Shiseido. I have also heard Serge Lutens Bois et Fruits is similar to FdB as well.

Rochas Alchimie is very similar to the original Burberry, certainly worth checking out as a substitute.

For Venezia, check this out. http://www.irmashorell.net/Perfume-a...rfume-versions

A lot of the ones you listed are out there, but may have to be bought online. Maybe some fellow european basenoters can give you recommendations on good e-tailers to deal with.

I find Chopard Casmir to be very similar to Rochas Alchimie.

Kenzo Kashaya is also somewhat in the ballpark to Alchimie.

Great feedback! Thanks a lot to all of you..

@ineespenes: I tried Dolce Vita and it is indeed similar to Feminite du Bois, exactly as you said
    @jacona: I will also try the one from Serge Lutens if I find it
    @NebraskaLovesScent: yeah, Casmir is a nice replacement, I still have to try Kazaya

looking forward for the others

you can try these:
    7. sensi => ysl cinema (cinema is more pronounced)
    13. gloria => s. lutens louve, also luctor & emergo

I knew that I would get great advice from you...

sensi is similar to ysl cinema indeed..
    s lutens and luctor & emergo - i didn't find them yet

Still looking forward for suggestions for the others from the list in the first post, especially:
    - laura biagiotti tempore
    - ralph lauren glamorous
    - paco rabanne pour elle
    - fendi life essences

I'm still looking for a replacement for Gucci Accenti ...

I tried Fendi Theorema, but it's not really the same -- however, it IS fanstastic in its own right, I love it. And it's discontinued.

So now I'm looking for a replacement for Gucci Accenti AND a replacement for Fendi Theorema!

Let me bring up this thread again, hoping that some of you have answers

Thanks a lot!

So let me ask again, please.
    Let's say somebody is a huge fan of, for example, Laura Biagiotti Tempore. And that Tempore is.. discontinued!
    Well, one would like to keep his/her signature smell so would try to replace Tempore with something similar or very similar! What can she/he do?

In the Male section, there is a huge thread where people explore what fragrance is similar to what fragrance!
    That's very nice. I mean I'm searching for something like Venezia Uomo, I find some suggestions of similar perfumes, I go out and try them and if I'm lucky enough I do find one similar (for my nose) to venezia uomo. But at least I have some suggestions from people like me that used venezia uomo in the past.

Is there such a thread for women frags? Or does anyone know of a site that would suggest frags similar to other (discontinued) frags? (Whishfull thinking...)

Hi, ampersand!

Fragrance expert Michael Edwards has created a database that helps people find scents similar to old loves that were discontinued. In 2009, this information was available on the net for free, but it looks like they're charging for this information now.

You can request a complimentary 24-hour guest pass for the Michael Edwards Fragrance database. http://www.fragrancesoftheworld.info/

(You can also subscribe or order the book, but there is a cost associated with both.)

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaLovesScent View Post
    Hi, ampersand!

Fragrance expert Michael Edwards has created a database that helps people find scents similar to old loves that were discontinued. In 2009, this information was available on the net for free, but it looks like they're charging for this information now.

You can request a complimentary 24-hour guest pass for the Michael Edwards Fragrance database. http://www.fragrancesoftheworld.info/

(You can also subscribe or order the book, but there is a cost associated with both.)

Good luck!
    Hi and thanks a lot for your help.

I knew about Michael Edwards but I didn't know he offered such a service.

I went to the site and it's strange but it seems to work and it seems to be free.
    But I am a little confused..

There is that section, "Fragrances of the World Digital", right?
    If you step inside there are 3 choises: Confused, Hip&Celebrity Fragrances, Long Gone Scents

If I go to "Confused" and I select for example Laura Biagiotti Venezia I get 3 alternatives.
    If I go to "Long Gone Scents" and I select again Biagiotti Venezia I get OTHER 3 alternatives. For example, one of the suggestions here for Venezia is Givenchy Amarige Mariage. Well, Venezia is an oriental woody fragrance and Amarige Mariage is floral. How can they be similar? I also look at the notes listed on basenotes for each fragrance and they don't seem similar at all..

So which one is which? Which of those choises should be used? I suppose "Long Gone Scents" should be used but if I get Amarige Mariage as an alternative to Venezia, I'm not convinced...

Not necessarily equal, but quite similar to Venezia is Egoiste pour Homme from Chanel i think, specially the Concentree version (although this one is discontinued too).
    Very Valentino Pour Homme has a similar vibe to D&G By Man, but more citrusy and less leathery.

Thanks, Rick

You made me curious, I will try Very Valentino pour Homme.
    You meant Egoiste homme is similar to Venezia or Venezia Uomo?

Hi there,
    11. d&g BY - Haven't ever been able to find anything similar to this. FragranceX got some of this in a few weeks ago but it sold out quickly. I ordered it but am still waiting for it. As for d&g By man..... it is even harder to come by. Saw it on ebay for a whopping $500!!!!!!!!! I think you could try putting your name down for email notification with online fragrance shops in case they get some of your favourites in. I never expected to find d&g By again so you just never know.

$500 for By Man?!??... LOL
    Good idea to try to subscribe for email notification, actually I tried this in the past but I should try again and maybe I get lucky!

thanks

Long Lost Perfumes makes a pretty good dupe for Venezia and some other discontinued perfumes. It appears to be out of stock at the moment but it will probably show up again.

http://www.irmashorell.net/s.nl/it.A...&category=-108

Quote Originally Posted by ampersand View Post
    Thanks, Rick

You made me curious, I will try Very Valentino pour Homme.
    You meant Egoiste homme is similar to Venezia or Venezia Uomo?
    I detect similarties between Egoiste homme and Venezia Donna. Maybe it`s because they have a similar, rich plummy accord.

Well, if don`t mind a copy, I have already bought some fragrance oil dupes from an excelent - and cheap - site. I`ve bought one time a copy of their Chaos oil, and I was able to buy a bottle of the old Chaos after some months, and they were at least 90% similar - the 10% different were from the topnotes, since an oil develops different on skin than an edt.
    Their site is:
    http://wholesalebodyoils.com/
    I`ve already bought their Tobacco Vanille oil, which was gorgeous too, more sweet I think and less spicy, but with a great sillage and longevity on skin.

Quote Originally Posted by darkdreams View Post
    Long Lost Perfumes makes a pretty good dupe for Venezia and some other discontinued perfumes. It appears to be out of stock at the moment but it will probably show up again.

http://www.irmashorell.net/s.nl/it.A...&category=-108
    Hi, my fellow Romanian darkdreams!

So, have you tried Irma Shorell products yourself, do you talk from personal experience? I've read some good opinions about their products but I'm still not sure.. But if you tried their Venezia personally and was ok comparing to the original product, I might give it a try.

I'm not sure if they deliver to Romania but I'll see..

coming back with the question...
    does anyone know a fragrance similar to Paco Rabanne Pour Elle?
    I have a friend who is longing for this one and, since it was discontinued, I would love to surprise her with a replacement..
    I looked on fragrancesoftheworld.com of the famous Michael Edwards and he seems to recommend the same 3 perfumes for most of the discontinued... Weird... But money talks, right? If he is paid to recommend Montana Just Me for every lost product than so be it... or not...