Code of Conduct

Default New Forum Idea: The Ingredients forum

I always have a tendency to look at the listed ingredients on a fragrance box, and have noticed that a number of my favorites feature hydroxyisohexyl 3-cyclohexene carboxaldehyde, better known as Lyral.

This got me thinking: wouldn't it be nice to know the ingredients (well, the allergenic ones listed on the box, anyhow) of various scents before purchasing them? While I know the ingredients themselves won't necessarily tell you much about how a scent smells, it could tell you other useful information. For instance, if we had access to the ingredients lists of all scents out there, we could perhaps identify offending agents that cause headaches, nausea, or other discomfort.

Also, if along with the ingredients people posted the date of purchase, bottle design, etc, we could use this information to help track down/pinpoint any reformulations. I think it would be really nice to read how the ingredients list changes over time, as new bottles are introduced, etc.

While I don't think the forum would get all that much traffic, I do think it would prove to be useful for some, and it would also be one more thing that sets Basenotes apart from the crowd. I was thinking perhaps have one thread per scent, akin to how the Notepad forum is set up.

Here's a sample entry:

Salvador Dali PH:
    ---------------------
    Date on package: None listed
    Approx Date of Purchase: 2005
    Bottle Size: 100ml, part of a giftset featuring the 100ml bottle, an 8ml mini, and a 150ml shower gel
    Bottle Description/Picture: The standard blackish green bulbous bottle with the lips cap.

Ingredients: Alcohol Denat. (S.D Alcohol 39 C), Parfum (fragrance), Aqua (water), Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde (Lyral), Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Citronellol, Coumarin, Linalool, Bynzyle Benzoate, Geraniol, Citral, Eugenol, Benzyl Salicylate

What do you guys think of this? Would you find any use for it personally? Would you like to see something like this added to Basenotes?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Default Re: New Forum Idea: The Ingredients forum

I've copied this thread to another forum as its more being used as a tracker now. I've added the original suggestion to my feature tracker, and will hopefully implement something into the directory which will enable this sort of thing

New thread http://www.basenotes.net/threads/269630-The-Ingredients-thread