Code of Conduct

Default My New Found love - Miller Harris. Your Favorites from this line?

After close to 3 years in basenotes and over 180 feedbacks which transalates to a rough transaction of least 2-3 bottles/feedback either traded or purchased or sold...i must say im now settled. or am i? like my dear freind SOS pointed out in another thread, i do really feel my collection is now more diverted towards dense orientals. If i may analyse it a step further, i think my favorite accord is patchouli. It;s not at all intentional, but somehow i end up liking scents with a obvious tweak in patchouli. To add to it, i now relate to a fragrance style of a particular house. very rarely do they dissapoint. It may have to do with their approach over all. Editions de Frederick Malle is one such house...and to my surprise, Malle fragrances, in spite of showcasing such a distiguished set of perfumers, somehow manage to have a common link which i now refer to as the Malle "transparency" accord. They almost have a gelatin like feel overall. I smitten, and cant stop with one.

Others which still holds my interest and i pursue their fragrances (after sampling ofcourse is) religously are from fragrance houses like Serge Lutens, The Different Company, L'Artisan Parfumer, Parfumerie Generale, Etro, Diptyque and my New found Love.... Miller Harris.

I must admit, having over 60-70 bottles can be over whelming at times which explains why i, almost in haste decided to sell Feuilles de Tabac.. im so glad i held it back...

Feuilles de Tabac - The overall mood is that of a person who strolled into a tobacco field in the sweltering sun with the smell of sweat mixed up with the earthy tone of earth and dried tobacco leaves.

Figue Amere - It's a completely different take on Figs, unlike the Diptyque, which is dry and green, Figue Amere smells of ripe fruits, a little sticky with hints of violets and saltiness with a powdery feel. It never gets overwhelming and relaxes into a beautiful drydown

Both these scents have a sort of crispiness which i cant put my finger on.

Overall, im very much impressed by this line and plan to sample more. Could you all (please) suggest me your favorites from this line...?
    Last edited by jenson; 13th May 2010 at 12:27 PM.

Default Re: My New Found love - Miller Harris. Your Favorites from this line?

Hi jenson... as an aside, "dense orientals" is my un-cup of un-tea. But I admit they are complex, mysterious and sensual.

The only MH I own is En Sens de Bois which is a delightful incense dry scent. I'm pondering Tangerine Vert, that is pretty much an ideal type of scent for me. Eau de Vert looks good on paper but smells terrible to me, exactly like pomade.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Sur la Plage

My favorites are Cuir d'Oranger and L'Air de Rien.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I actually like them all quite a bit, except Feuilles de Tabacc, one of their most liked fragrances.

The opening is so promising, but 30+ minutes in, it turns into the smell of cheap powdered laundry detergent. One of the only 'scrubbers' I've ever tried.

All the rest I could see myself owning a bottle.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Cuir d'Oranger

Fleurs de Sel is my favorite so far; I find it magical in a salty, herbal way, but it's a fragrance I reach for so seldom, my 1ml decant is still doing me just fine two years later.

Cuir d'Oranger and Feuilles de Tabac were both disappointments; Cuir for its smell and Feuilles for its longevity.

I'm curious to try her floral fragrances and L'Air de Rien, in particular.

I don't own any bottles, but I've enjoyed almost everything I've tried from Miller Harris. My favorites for now seem to be Fleurs de Sel and Terre de Bois. I also agree that Figue Amere is a very nice fig fragrance. I really should pick one and get a bottle!

Basenotes Institution

Definitely L' Air de Rien. Wild stuff.

I was extremely disappointed in Tangerine Vert. Just too, too light for me to enjoy.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 13th May 2010 at 02:34 AM.

L'Air de Rien, definitely!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Cuir d'Oranger by far...fresh substantial leather.
    -

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Feuilles de Tabac
    L'Air de Rien
    Tangerine Vert
    Cuir d'Oranger
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Considering they are based in the UK, it's nigh on impossible to get any MH frags outside of London. Which is rather annoying. So, much as I'd love to give most of the range a try, I don't think I'll ever get the opportunity. Ho-hum.

I just have Tangerine Verte from the Miller Harris collection. I bought this blind after reading the reviews here and I love it. Fantastic longevity for a summer fragrance. Though I've been wanting to try Cuir D'Oranger and Fleur de Sel for a while, I just didn't come across the samples here. Miller Harris is kinda hard to find in Australia. I don't even think they sell them here.

Terre D'Bois is another one that I'd love to try.

Thanks to each one of you for your overwhelming response! This really helps put some perspective.

Regarding Longevity, i feel Miller Harris scents are to be applied liberally, both on fabric and skin. It stays throughout the day this way and never feels too much...just perfect. What i admire the most in scents nowadays is it's drydown and Miller Harris scents drydown really beautifully. The quality of indgredients used do stand out.
    Last edited by jenson; 13th May 2010 at 01:39 PM.

My favorites from this house:

Citron Citron to me is a modern take on classic EDC structure that for some reason wears better on me in cooler weather.

Tangerine Vert is structured like Hermes' Eau d'Orange Vert, but with a distinctive tangerine note on top. And much longer lasting than the Hermes offering (but less so than most EDPs I wear). The only confident blind buy I have ever made, largely due to the consistent reviews in the directory.

I am not fond of Eau de Vert, for the same reasons as Ody: it suggests hair pomade. There are some nice notes in it, but that hair pomade accord should have been tuned down radically.

Cuir d"oranger and Vetiver Bourbon
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Feuilles De Tabac is my hands-down fave from the line. I find it to be a very smooth and deep tobacco fragrance, very “oily” smelling, and I get excellent longevity from it (I can smell it into the next day, particularly on clothing). I like that it has just a little spicy edge also without being a spice-bomb.

I haven’t tried Cuir D’Oranger yet, but this is the other one from the line that really interests me.
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

I would say to try Cuir d'Oranger first. I wanted to try leather fragrances, and based on the basenotes reviews, I decided to give it a go and... I found it a little too leathery for my taste, almost like Cuir Ottoman. If you are a hardcore leather fan, you'll probably like it.

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka View Post
    L'Air de Rien, definitely!
    +1.

Basenotes Plus

L'Air de Rien and Citron Citron.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I have Feuilles de Tabac, Terre de Bois, and Fleurs de Bois.

I like those three best. The others I have smelled and haven't bought I have not liked as much. I did like all the ones I smelled to some degree, but not enough to purchase any but the three I've named. There are a few I haven't tried.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Basenotes Plus

My favorite is Vetiver Bourbon but I have been using samples, not a bottle. This one is difficult to find.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Like so many others here, I like the sexy L'Air de Rien and the deep Cuir d'Oranger. I'll add Fleur Oriental in for good measure, its soft powdery heliotrope over a surprisingly dry vetiver base is quite an interesting take on the oriental genre. Lyn Harris' creations are modern without veering into harshness and stridency; she's a master of the art of gentle subversion.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 14th May 2010 at 04:47 AM.

Great that you picked Feuilles de Tabac already, but a bummer for me because that's the one I was going to jump up and down and say you've got to try.

It is my very favorite of tobacco scents by far, and Jenson, you desribe it perfectly in the first post. It's the only Miller Harris I own.

I've tried Terre de Bois several days from a sample and I've always been close to deciding to get it, but never gone to the decision. I like its woody vetiver, but I've always thought I'd end up wearing something else instead of it. It's very nice, buuuuuut.

A good friend here assures me that he gave me a sample of L'Air de Rien, and I think I must have been wearing it thinking it was something else some time ago. Or it's around here still somewhere. It's sure one I want to know.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Cool Re: My New Found love - Miller Harris. Your Favorites from this line?

Quote Originally Posted by Hyde65 View Post
    Cuir d'Oranger
    Of course! Read my reviews, Goldang it!

(As I stated I'm buying a bottle of this for every BN that sang the praises of Cuiron , as soon as I win big in the LOTTO )

Hold your breath . . .

As to Feuilles de Tabac. It's a toughie. Cascarilla? Sounds like an insult in Spanish--but then again Thallium always sounded like a suicide pill in any language.
    In any case I have to try it again. My last review was: It's a drugstore in the boonies, No it's Cuba, No it's a drugstore, No! My daughter! My sister! My... etc.

I've never tried L' Air de Rien. Is that French for Air of Nothing? Air of Thank You?

Non, Je ne--Oh well here's the little sparrow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5uEk...eature=related

Cheers

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Quote Originally Posted by great_badir View Post
    Considering they are based in the UK, it's nigh on impossible to get any MH frags outside of London. Which is rather annoying. So, much as I'd love to give most of the range a try, I don't think I'll ever get the opportunity. Ho-hum.
    A note for Canadians: the largest Holts stores (Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal) carry MH.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Cuir d'Oranger wears like a loud feminine floral chypre. Irritating as hell. I sold both bottles. A compelling fragrance though. Based on sampling I thought the sh*t was the sh*t. So much for samples......

-- Many European stores actually advertise Cuir d'Oranger as a feminine floral.

L'Air de Rien is quality but ultimately just another oriental and not all that animalic. Somehow it comes off as a little trite in a white lace sort of way. My girlfriend wore it for a short while and neither of us got into it. Either way, it's a good fragrance.

Most of the others have also gone. Citron Citron EDP most recently. Feuilles de Tabac ends up another boring woody amber (precomposed base) type thing. I like Lyn Harris though. She means well and has an interesting mind.

L'Air de Rien is probably her best overall fragrance. Made well, with great musk (wish I knew what kind), and has a good texture.
    Last edited by pluran; 14th May 2010 at 04:24 AM.
    "You have to paint things black if you want to make future possibilities more vivid."
    - Michel Foucault

I'm surprised that no one else has commented on En Sens de Bois. I wore it today. What a wonderful, dry, woody scent with a hint of incense and resin.
    Today, for the first time, I got a compliment on the scent I wore. On a walk with a nice friend, she paused and said, "That is a really nice scent... it suits you!"
    odysseusm

I really like Vetiver Bourbon and Feuilles de Tabac from this line. I feel like these two really do stand out against the crowd.
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

Thanks much for your response folks!! Terre de Bois, L'Air de Rien, Vetiver Bourbon, En Sens de Bois, Citron Citron et al. they all sound interesting... especially L'Air & Vetiver Bourbon...it looks very tempting on paper.

Did Lyn Harris ever create scents outside Miller Harris line...? Her style comes across as very matured .. i mean, isnt Feuilles de Tabac one of her first fragrances...? what a way to start.

I love and own Fleurs de Sel. There's nothing quite like it! Terre d'Iris is also very nice, and unique among iris fragrances IMO. This thread reminds me that I need to get out my samples of Terre de Bois and Figue Amere and actually try them one day. Thanks for this thread, Jenson!

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    Feuilles de Tabac - The overall mood is that of a person who strolled into a tobacco field in the sweltering sun with the smell of sweat mixed up with the earthy tone of earth and dried tobacco leaves.

Figue Amere - It's a completely different take on Figs, unlike the Diptyque, which is dry and green, Figue Amere smells of ripe fruits, a little sticky with hints of violets and saltiness with a powdery feel. It never gets overwhelming and relaxes into a beautiful drydown
    These are two of the three I love and own.

The third is Geranium Bourbon - on me an invigorating mix of geranium with roses and a hint of booze.
    Last edited by TaoLady; 14th May 2010 at 10:38 AM.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Thank you for chiming in ladies! appreciate it!

The word Bourbon doesnt get used so much in perfumes and, being a strong fan of patchouli/chocolate based scents; i get a feeling it'll fit in my to tastes... I have never experienced this accord in a very prominent way in scents...but, i often relate the overall feel of Kilian Cruel Intentions or Tom Ford Black Orchid to bourbon... is that a right assesement to make...?

So, Geranium Bourbon and Vetiver Bourbon... yummy! need.to.sample.asap.
    Last edited by jenson; 14th May 2010 at 11:54 AM.

I haven't tried all from this house but Feuilles de Tabac is my most favorite out of the 4-5 I have tried.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    Did Lyn Harris ever create scents outside Miller Harris line...?
    She also created Stoned and Cosmic for Solange Azagury-Partridge.

Vetiver Bourbon is to me what Montale's Red Vetyver would smell like if it was done by a mature and competent nose. The accords are really balanced and even-handed.
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Justiniani View Post
    As to Feuilles de Tabac. It's a toughie. Cascarilla? Sounds like an insult in Spanish--but then again Thallium always sounded like a suicide pill in any language.
    LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    She also created Stoned and Cosmic for Solange Azagury-Partridge.
    Nice! I always did notice that label in LS website.

Quote Originally Posted by danho View Post
    Vetiver Bourbon is to me what Montale's Red Vetyver would smell like if it was done by a mature and competent nose. The accords are really balanced and even-handed.
    Hmmm...interesting take.

Miller Harris has some of the best skin scents ever. I also enjoy that they have fruity notes that actually last 10+ hours.. something I find rare in a perfume. I really enjoyed the decants i had of both Le Petit Grain and Piment des Baies. Piment being labeled as a woman's frag -- though it definitely isn't. It smells like lemon/sugar cookies and just keeps getting better and better. I've tried about 5 or 6 from their house but these are the only 2 that are really bottle worthy for me.

+3 Cuir d' Oranger. Warm and inviting leather.
    +1 En Sens de Bois. Wonderfully dry incense woods scent - my favorite from Miller Harris.
    +2 Vetiver Bourbon.

These fragrances are hard to find for some reason. Not many places sell them in the U.S. and not many online either. Why not?

Feuilles de Tabac
    Let your nose be your pilot