Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: The sophisticated choice for gentlemen?

Quote Originally Posted by AGR View Post
    What I was trying to say is basically "Which of these is more likely to get me female compliments?" If I may add most of my friends are female, I am not trying to smell like a womanizer, I want a smell they will find pleasant as much as it will be pleasant to men.
    There are as many women out there who like different scents as there are women. Again, you ask the wrong question.

For a nice, fresh UNIQUE scent (not worn by every young man or 20-something), try Habit Rouge EDT. This is easy to find. It's a citrus/leather with a touch of vanilla. If you can find it, try the EDP, called Beau Cavalier in the U.S. They will like this and you will like wearing it.
    Last edited by Primrose; 13th May 2010 at 06:19 PM.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel
    Currently wearing: Poison by Christian Dior

But can you comment on the Floris one's which I allready have? It's going to be a while before I can go back to Paris and try more things.

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Monsieur Givenchy

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post

The key is self-confidence in a healthy way. Your fragrance is secondary.
    To me, a nice fragrance is the cherry on top of the cake. I love searching for ever nicer cherries, but I try not to loose sight of the cake.

Chanel Pour Monsieur

Equipage
    Habit Rouge
    Dunhill 1934
    Eau Sauvage
    Anucci
    Rochas Lui
    Georgio
    Le Troisieme Homme
    Caron Pour un Homme

I mean between 127 and 89?

Update: I was wearing Floris 89 today at Lunchtime and one girl actually came and asked me what I was wearing, she made me the first compliment I ever had in my life from a female as she said that I smelled "really nice".
    Last edited by Esquire; 14th May 2010 at 12:15 PM.

I mean between 127 and 89?

Update: I was wearing Floris 89 today at Lunchtime and one girl actually came and asked me what I was wearing, she made me the first compliment I ever had in my life from a female as she said that I smelled "really nice".
    How wonderful! Congratulations, AGR! It is nice to be noticed and for a young woman to recognise good grooming in a young man!

One thing, perhaps, will come with time is the desire to wear scent to please oneself--and not to get comments from others.

When I wear scent, I do it for myself. Don't all men of fashion do this? One's clothing, as one's scent--is an expression of the self. Compliments are indeed nice and make you feel good, but I would not wear scent alone to elicit comments or attract attention to myself.

Bottom line: wear what YOU like, whatever the label, whatever the marketing gender.
    Last edited by Primrose; 14th May 2010 at 12:52 PM.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel

There were a lot of perfumes that I liked but none seemed to hold on my skin for a long time.
    There is a big difference between sampling 4 sprays from a small, 1.2 ml sample atomizer and getting 4 sprays from a full 50ml or 100 ml bottle. You definitely get much more juice out of the full bottle for the same number of sprays. Samples are fine to find out if you like a perfume but not appropriate to assess the longevity and sillage unless you spray much more than from a bottle.

Forget about judging longevity and sillage with just 1 spray on your wrist from a sample.

I would like to suggest either Mitsouko or l'Heure Bleue (the eau de parfums) by Guerlain. The most refined, classy, discreet and comforting fragrances i have smelled so far.
    Knize Ten !

Quote Originally Posted by Chassagne Montrachet View Post
    Forget about judging longevity and sillage with just 1 spray on your wrist from a sample.
    Sometimes you can tell right away if a scent is something you will like. But to me, it takes wearing it a couple of times to get the full experience. A couple of my current favorites took two or three wearings for me to get to know them.

That test sniff in the store, even on skin, is not indicative to me of what it will be like to wear the scent.

AGR- it's nice to be complimented no doubt. But find the scent(s) that you like. and go from there.
    If you want scents that young women like buy AdG, Code, Issey and Le Male and you're all done.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 15th May 2010 at 06:15 PM.

Thank you everyone, I appreciate your recommendations and I will surely test some of the things you suggested over time but not now, could anyone please comment about 89 and Special 127? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    But my good man, the Concentrée is perfectly sophisticated!
    Couldn't agree more. It's also long lasting. This is definitely the one I grab to smell mature & sophisticated. The original is EDC strength, which would probably mean abysmal longevity. At least that's what I've gotten from any EDC I've ever owned.

Floris 89 is a very traditional British scent. Haven't tried 127.

89 is quite floral, but in a traditional, elegant manly way that many British scents are good at. There is argument back and forth as to whether 89 was James Bond's scent in the novels. It evidently was a favorite of Bond author Ian Fleming. Being a bit proper, it is better as daytime scent, yes.

You know yourself better than anyone...I would find 89 a bit tricky for a young man to wear. Though if you're fairly mature and serious it could work. I would not think 89 would be a big hit with women your age, but you never can tell. If you can make it work, they'd like it fine on you I suppose.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 15th May 2010 at 09:00 PM.

Thank you StylinLA, very helpful answer! Can anyone comment on Special No. 127?

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Sometimes you can tell right away if a scent is something you will like. But to me, it takes wearing it a couple of times to get the full experience. A couple of my current favorites took two or three wearings for me to get to know them.

That test sniff in the store, even on skin, is not indicative to me of what it will be like to wear the scent.

AGR- it's nice to be complimented no doubt. But find the scent(s) that you like. and go from there.
    If you want scents that young women like buy AdG, Code, Issey and Le Male and you're all done.
    I agree, Stylin. The first sniff is not the only one you should judge with. At first, I despised Mouchoir for all the civet accord. I prefer florals and citrus for my top notes. I gave Mouchoir a few more sniffs, allowing the full drydown and now it's one of my favs.

I don't think, though, that Mouchoir will be enjoyed by teen girls or college girls.
    Last edited by Primrose; 15th May 2010 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by arlecchino View Post
    AGR, have you tried any of the Trumper's? ....
    I agree with the Trumpers recommendation. I'm wearing GFT right now. Definitely worth a try.

Cool Re: The sophisticated choice for gentlemen?

Quote Originally Posted by Esquire View Post
    Thank you everyone, I appreciate your recommendations and I will surely test some of the things you suggested over time but not now, could anyone please comment about 89 and Special 127? Thanks!
    Apparently not. Like StylinLA I've only tried the 89.
    May I suggest you check the 'reviews' section on these scents?
    If you want more information you could do far worse than to send a PM to foetidus, our most prolific reviewer, and also to bokaba, king of old world gentleman's fragrances.

( Both their reviews appear on 127, btw.)

Wishing you the very best of luck,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Thank you Mario, I just PMed them!

Anything by Geo F Trumper or Caron.

Blog Entries

I have three suggestions for you; Habit Rouge Beau Cavalier by Guerlain, Jaipur EDP by Boucheron and, Shaal Nur by ETRO.

PawelL

New York by Parfums de Nicolai

Well of course the real answer to the question of what a young gentleman wears is a conversation and not a statement. Gentlemen ought to wear whatever they love, as long as they wear it either discreetly or indiscreetly. Never without measure, unless the measure is unmeasure. To me the question of what a gentleman is is a really interesting one. One quality that gentlemen cultivate is a sort of ease with oneself and others that comes with considering deeply many of the ways one might be in the world and then knowledgeably and without sentimentality accenting them in oneself and in others. This is an excellent attitude for someone seeking a deep relationship with art, including perfumery. Often this leads to an interesting conversation between restraint and effusiveness.
    I think of three genres that are usually associated with gentlemen. One important one is lavender fougeres, like the wonderfully simple (and inexpensive) Caron Pour Un Homme. Parfums de Nicolai's Nicolai Pour Homme is also wonderful.
    Citrus eau de colognes of which there are many wonderful ones. I love Eau Sauvage, Chanel Pour Monsieur, Monsieur Givenchy, Acqua di Parma Colonia and several others. These are simple and relatively fleeting on the skin, and that's part of the point.
    And I agree with others that it is well to have a floral perfume in your collection for times when you need to demonstrate that banging your fists on the table can be done as much with style as with anger. And I agree that you that you shouldn't reject perfumes merely because they've been marketed to women. Simply wear less scent so that your own odor doesn't disappear entirely (all things in moderation, young sir, including washing and moderation!) and you can wear L'Heure Bleue or Cuir de Russie and smell very masculine.
    I just noticed how old this thread is. How goes the search?
    Last edited by Strollyourlobster; 19th June 2010 at 04:18 PM.

Don`t forget Amouage Dia, Jubilation xxv, and Divine L`homme Sage.