Code of Conduct

Default Guerlain Vetiver - current EDT, vintage EDT or vintage EDC?

Which do you prefer and why?

Default Re: Guerlain Vetiver - current EDT, vintage EDT or vintage EDC?

I have the current Vetiver EDT in the 'stripy' bottle and a couple of vintage ones in the 'Habit Rouge Bottles'. They are different but only subtly so in my opinion. The current EDT is seemingly a little cleaner and less tobacco / woody than the vintage. If you exhale then inhale when smelling the fragrance on your skin there is a slight 'dirtiness' to the vintage which isn't apparent with the current formulation which just smells clean & fresh. I'm not sure which ingredient causes this slight dirtiness but it certainly adds depth and character to the vintage edition. The best similarity I can describe to this can be found with Azzaro PH. I have an old sample / tester and a new full bottle - if you do the inhale / exhale thing with them both the older sample has this slightly 'licked skin' dirtiness to it that the new one lacks. Maybe others have experienced this also?

In answer to your question - I prefer the vintage - more depth & character (though the current juice is still excellent!)

I am wearing the current EDT right now and its longevity leaves a lot to wish for, while the vintage EDT lasted much longer on me

Blog Entries

EDC - which is a significantly different scent than EDT. I don't like the tobacco note in the current EDT, and it is there in vintage EDT as well (but not in EDC). Nevertheless, the EDC is more true to the name (Vetiver) than EDT.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Basenotes Institution

Well...honestly, I haven't worn the current Eau de Toilette enough to judge it. But I am currently on a love affair with vintage Eau de Toilette. And well vintage Eau de Cologne will always have a special place in my heart: mostly because I can over apply it and it doesn't get cloying.

Sur la Plage

The vintage EDT is the only way to go.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

My only experience is with the 1996 formula edt. I am a big fan of it and I have read that it is the most balanced version.

I can't perceive any discernible difference between the current EDT and the vintage EDT. The current EDT itself may have undergone a few reformulations as their have also been some minor changes in the box graphics of the current bottle. I tested the so called current EDT almost two years ago. The box looked like this

I believe the latest packaging looks like this
    Like I said before, there may well have been some tweaking in the juice in this latest bottle even though the bottle design is identical with the one shown above this.

The vintage EDT that I own & mostly use comes in bottles similar to this

I would love to hear if this vintage EDT is any different from this vintage EDT shown here

As for the vintage EDC, I own a bottle of it but I find it weaker compared to the vintage EDT that I have. As opposed to findings of some other members, I don't suppose it's any different from the EDT except that it's much weaker.

I like the vintage EDT in the "Habit Rouge" bottle the best. Powdery carmelized vetiver.
    If fragrance has a gender, so does all art.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    The vintage EDT that I own & mostly use comes in bottles similar to this

I would love to hear if this vintage EDT is any different from this vintage EDT shown here
    They are the same gupts.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    They are the same gupts.
    Thanks for confirming that Mike.
    I have been repeatedly getting an itch to buy one of these squarish bottles but since I have multiple backups of the rectangular bottles, I kept convincing myself that I am set for life when it comes down to vintage Guerlain Vetiver edt. Now if I ever get to acquire one of these, it's purely be due to aesthetic reasons. ;-)

I like vintage EDC (black-white box) the most.
    Specially start notes are the best. And oakmoss. And some dirtyness.
    I also have 1985 spray cologne 30 ml (not pictured here, with green box and green plastic stopper) - and like it slightly less.

I`m still looking for vintage EDT.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Basenotes Institution

For any of you fans of vintage Vetiver (in EdC or EdT), if you haven't please try the Vetiver Refreshing Body Splash if you can find it. It comes in a very large, square, translucent glass bottle (extremely heavy) and it's an emollient based fragrance. When the fragrance is standing still in the bottle, it is seperated with oil based liquid on the top and liquid on the bottom. You shake it before you apply and it's sort of a body splash/tonic/lotion that smells exactly like the vintage formula of Vetiver. It also has a tiny whiff of mint in the top notes. Great stuff.

duplicate
    Last edited by neal; 28th October 2010 at 05:30 PM.

Someone apprently thinks a mini(!) of the EdC is worth $699,99 ...

Have the EDT with the square green label on the glass bottle so I guess that makes it one of the old ones.

Basenotes Member

I love the vintager EdT in the old bottles that habit rouge, derby,and heritage came in. I have some of the old EdC that came in the oval bottles with the green plastic bottom and top, good, but not as lasting. I find the reformulation to be sweeter, more cloying, and less grassy. If you can still find the old formuation, then I would buy it. I have several bottles stashed in my wine cooler.