Code of Conduct

Question Blimey! Finding a Fruity Frag for Summer is proving difficult!

Hello All,

My current smell search is for something fruity but refreshing for Summertime.

I have found lots of niche fragrances that I like that would be perfect (Bigarade Concentrée, Colonia Assoluta, Little Italy, Citron Citron and Tangerine Vert). But money is tight at the moment and I cant afford or justify the prices of something niche.

The designer fragrance that I see recommended most when people ask this question is Live Jazz. But I am one of those poor souls for whom the Coriander note just dominates when its on my skin. I read with jealously everyone elses description of the Grapefruit, the Rhubarb and the Mint, and all I smell is Tomato Salsa dip at best, Curry at worst

So many other fruity fragrances from designer brands are aquatics - they have Calone or some other synthetic like it... and again my skin chemistry comes along like a saboteur. Aquatics just smell really bad on me, not fresh at all, more like something has gone rotten.

Eau Sauvage is great as well, but as a true EdC it evaporates in no time at all, so again I cant justify it when you balance price with longevity.

So, guys, please, have you got anything in your scent wardrobe, that you though was reasonable in price, fruity, refreshing and not aquatic?

Yours humbly, Andy

Default Re: Blimey! Finding a Fruity Frag for Summer is proving difficult!

Etat Libre d'Orange's Delicious Closet Queen. It has a fruity/berry vibe in the top.

Also try Guerlain's Mandarine Basilic. A very citrusy mandarine orange with a bit of spicy basil.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

You can try Monsieur Balmain, which is a cheap but true lemon scent.
    1 Million by Paco Rabanne is also a super sweet and fruity, but a little cloying, so might be alright for summer if you use it sparingly.
    New West for Men by Aramis is also a great fruity summer fragrance that's very affordable, although it does seem a little aquatic.
    Contradiction for Men by Calvin Klein is a slightly spicy citrus fragrance. I like the concept, but a little synthetic.
    Artisan by John Varvatos. Orange blossom explosion with an interesting dark twist, but again like Contradiction, a little synthetic and has abysmal longevity.
    Burberry the Beat (for Women) EDP. This one sounds crazy, but it actually smells rather unisex. Basically another designer citrus, but rather pleasant. Plus it's a EDP, so it will last longer.

There are lots more fruity scents in the non-niche market, but can't think of them right now...
    Last edited by supperman; 13th May 2010 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Grammar!

citrus bigarrade by creed could work for you, but sample it quick they are going to discontinue it

Try M; Men by Masaki Matsushima.

Blog Entries

I see you mentioned Eau Sauvage but want more longevity. May I recomend Diorella by Dior which, is basically Eau Sauvage with a peach note and should give you more longevity. Look it up in the Directory. Good luck in your quest.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 13th May 2010 at 07:05 PM.

There are so many good ones out there. Maybe narrow the type of fruit down to help narrow the search. I guess for starters, you could try Escada Sunset Heat, Paris Hilton, or Kenneth Cole Reaction.

If you can get your hands on it, try Coach Leatherware - very nice sharp grapefruit top that lasts quite some time on me. It doesn't get a lot of love around here, but I really like it.

Kouros Cologne Sport might be what you're looking for, too. Primarily refreshing fruits, but some interesting Kouros elements peeking out from the background.

You might also try Unforgivable, if you'd like something a little sweeter (I would say Millesime Imperial, but you said no niche).
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 13th May 2010 at 07:40 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

How about Parfums de Nicolai? It may be niche, but the house has lots of excellent fruity unisex summer fragrances at very reasonable prices: L'Eau Mixte, Eau Turquoise, Fig Tea, the discontinued Eau Exotique ...

Fuel For Life Summer edition by Diesel is the best fruity summer scent I've smelled.

Try Calvin Klein Escape

L'Artisan Parfumeur's Ananas Fizz might work. There was a thread on it last week.

Pulp by Byredo is great but probably not in the price range you're looking for.

My choice for affordable, readily available, and still a great fruity scent is Butterfly by Hanae Mori.

Monsieur Balmain

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Last week my husband tried (and liked ) D&G L'Impératrice 3, which is marketed to men and women. Fruity, not citrusy however.

For citrus, you might try Escale à Portofino.

Quote Originally Posted by limaaa View Post
    Try Calvin Klein Escape
    I would advise against this.

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    Maybe narrow the type of fruit down to help narrow the search.
    The examples I've given are all citrus, but anything that is refreshing... so Durian Fruit would be a no no!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian

Quote Originally Posted by Thalia View Post
    How about Parfums de Nicolai? It may be niche, but the house has lots of excellent fruity unisex summer fragrances at very reasonable prices
    I will try and track down a store in the UK that stocks PdN, as I already have New York on my test list (not for a fruity summer fragrance though! Just for the experience and to see if I like it as much as most people on BN). I not going tocompletely avoid niche houses, just niche prices My 5 examples of great fragrances are all quite pricey...

Citrus Verbena by L’Occitane – 150ml 34£

Top Note: Lemon, Grapefruit
    Middle Note: Verbena
    Base Note : Cedar

hermes' - concentree d'orange verte
    nice orange. has very respectable longevity.

hermes - un jardin sur le nil.
    it's good and summery but I find it much on the feminine side.

dior - dune pour homme
    great opening but dies down a bit quickly good summer scent.
    Last edited by sarıpatates; 14th May 2010 at 10:23 AM.

Costume Nationale Scent or Scent Intense. Both have a juicy fruit vibe with amber.

Lacoste Essential!
    There is no love in modern life
    There is no hope in modern life

Agatha Brown's Imperial Jade Emperor.

It starts out potent, but dries down to a subtle scent.
    Although its not what i would call a "budget" fragrance, its cheaper than most niche scents and slightly higher than many designer (3.4 oz size or larger) fragrances.

http://www.agatha.com/77000.htm (It's not just for romantic evenings -- it could work anywhere IMO.)

Here is a good review. http://www.nstperfume.com/2006/01/11...-agatha-brown/
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

M7 Fresh. Froot Loops and subdued M7. Doesn't sound great on paper, yet it's fresh and wonderful for summer time wear.
    Last edited by neal; 15th May 2010 at 12:35 AM.

Bond Riverside Drive. Constant pineapple note, very long lasting even relative to other Bond fragrances.