Code of Conduct

Default Need some YSL advice...

I've sampled a couple of them. I remember liking them. A lot. and I want to get my first bottle. But which?

If you YSL vets could recommend a first bottle, which would it be?

Also, please rate L'Homme, Nuit L'Homme, M7, and Rive Gauche in terms of the following (and more if you have it!):

light/heavy
    day/night
    more masculine/less masculine
    sweeter/muskier

and which have you found is most appealing to the women-folk?

THANKS!

Default Re: Need some YSL advice...

I'm only familar with L'Homme and M7. I think L'Homme is maybe a more versatile and safe option than M7. M7 is probably
    best on cold winter evenings, where L'Homme could probably work day or night, and in spring, fall, and winter.

I just ordered a bottle of la nuit today, I liked the change over l'homme, and it's a very versatile fragrance

Of those you listed, M7 hands down. To me it's luxury personified, smells of fine pipe tobacco & leather on the drydown. Some complain about the opening blast of cherry, but that's the appetizer for the main course IMO. It's a little thick for summer, but you can always spray lighter. Definitely a night time cologne btw, though like all the others I have I'll wear it whenever I want. You NEED confidence to pull this one off.

On L'Homme I really liked it when I first bought it but got over it due to longevity being so horrid. By the time I ran out I couldn't even smell it on myself anymore. It's too light and too safe. La Nuit on the other hand clobbers little brother, it's sweet & smoky with a hint of vanilla. It's advertised as an evening cologne, but again, wear it whenever. Much better longevity and maybe the better choice if you prefer to play things safe.

Can't comment on Rive Gauche. I remember sampling it many years ago on a card and didn't like it. Since then I've learned an experience like that is rather meaningless in judging fragrances.

Basenotes Institution

That's easy: Rive Gauche Pour Homme

But hey, sample it first. Some people intensely dislike it.

I'd also recommend Rive Gauche Pour Homme and L'Homme (and its slightly sweeter flanker) as the most versatile and "likeable" by most people. As your woman, it depends on what type she is. She might like aquatics...

Of those listed, only know RGPH.

It's leans heavier than light.
    I find it a little better as daytime, but it could work at night.
    Very masculine- couldn't imagine a woman wearing this.
    Tough call on sweeter/muskier- I guess leans more musky than sweet. Spicy.

I find L'Homme is a good all rounder for any time/place. Rive Gauche isn't too far behind, but maybe a bit more "mature".
    M7 is terribly sexy but rather thick, so I do reserve it for cooler temperatures. Try Opium pour homme...

I find YSL one of the most solid houses around in terms of producing interesting but still acceptable to mainstream frags at a good price consistently. they just have SO many winners.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!! - Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir,
    Plum Japonais, Italian Cypress,
    Neroli Portofino, Costa Azzura
    HARD TO FIND -
    Lavender Palm, Arabian Wood, Champacca Absolute and AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Just got rive gauche and m7 in the mail. A lot of guys on here say that rive gauche smells like Barbasol. I completely agree, except, of course, really high quality Barbasol. It is a very clean, soapy scent in my opinion, appropriate for day in any season.

M7 is my favorite. Like Natch says, you need the confidence to pull this one off. I'm not known (when it comes to clothing and frags) as a shrinking violet, so M7 is really working for me right now. And I have no problem wearing it in the day in the heat of summer, either.

I sampled Kouros twice on my skin recently and it is not for me. In my humble opinion, even though I love strong fragrance....it really burned my nostrils rather than please them.

Hope this helps.

i keep reading about the "barbershop-ness" of Rive Gauche. Is it TOO masculine and old?? For example, Creed's Bois de Portugal is way too masculine and old for me to pull off. Sounds like RG is lighter than that... maybe more menthol or peppermint?

Basically, I'm asking... does Rive Gauche smell like "Dad"?

I do think rive gauche is more of a mature fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by TalkingMuffin View Post
    i keep reading about the "barbershop-ness" of Rive Gauche. Is it TOO masculine and old?? For example, Creed's Bois de Portugal is way too masculine and old for me to pull off. Sounds like RG is lighter than that... maybe more menthol or peppermint?

Basically, I'm asking... does Rive Gauche smell like "Dad"?
    Ultimately, that's your call. It's not "grandpa-ish" to me. One way of looking at it might be that it's a modern take on a grandpa scent. I'm in the "mature" guy category, so you've got to take some of my opinion with a grain of salt. But I've seen this one get a lot of love from young guys in here.

It's the most impressive inexpensive frag I've run into. For me, it holds it own with any scent.

Don't know your age range muffin, but my experience is that some women under 30 have become very smitten with the light aquatics birthed in the 90s. This may smell to them very "dad-ish" indeed. From what I can discern of your fragrance personality from posts I've seen, you could probably wear it well if you liked it.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 14th May 2010 at 04:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Don't know your age range muffin, but my experience is that some women under 30 have become very smitten with the light aquatics birthed in the 90s. This may smell to them very "dad-ish" indeed. From what I can discern of your fragrance personality from posts I've seen, you could probably wear it well if you liked it.
    thanks man... i think i'm gonna go for it. it's too praised (and controversial) not to!

I find Azzaro Onyx (also called Silver/ Black) to be a little lighter/younger version of Rive Gauche.

Not saying its a better scent, as i really like RC after blind buying it, but Onyx is very similar in smell i just find it a little lighter and its a very good casual scent.

You can also find Onyx at marshalls for really cheap

Why isn't Jazz being mentioned?
    It's a proper good scent that works well in many occasions IMO.

Jazz and Opium PH are both very interesting frags attractively priced. (I just bought both pretty much blind.)

I've only OPIUM and a L'a nuit - Deo (have 2 get its perfume) from the YSL house so far.

OPIUM goes a long way and smells lyk heaven - should i say?
    Last edited by kbandarage; 14th May 2010 at 06:42 AM.

You forgot Kouros!!

Of your list, I have tried L'Homme and own M7 and Rive Gauche. M7 is quite sweet and more suitable as night time fragrance. It's not a safe blind, especially if you don't like oud note. I suggest Body Kouros as a safer alternative to M7.

RG is more versatile, but I don't like it as much. I prefer Azzaro pour Homme in its category.

I think La Nuit is the best they have to offer in terms of something modern.

DeepSilence

I just had Opium, Kouros and Jazz before. But i don't remember how Jazz was!
    Opium was special for me. Opium is more sweeter compared another ones. and kouros is more strong.
    in this three fragrances, i think opium is better.
    Last edited by DeepSilence; 14th May 2010 at 03:26 PM.

L'Homme will appeal most to women, and it's very pleasant. I know RG has this lady-killer reputation, but reactions to it in my experience have been tolerant at best. I do like RG, and it might be a better overall addition to your wardrobe, but since you asked specifically about women, there you go.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

M7 hands down. But the new La Nuit de L`homme is one of the better new designer realeses last year. Very good. It`s my "going out" scent. Girls seems to love it.