Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Ocean Currents - Chandler Burr recommends 6 'beach' fragrances

In the NYT The Moment blog, Chandler Burr writes:

The smell of the beach is perhaps the most visceral, and wonderful, part of summer. Here are six scents that ingeniously tap into our experience of the ocean...

Hermès’ Un Jardin en Mediterranee, James Heeley’s Sel Marin, Miller Harris’ Fleurs de Sel, Bobbi Brown’s Beach, The Different Company’s Sel de Vetiver and Coppertone sun tan lotion (!?)

Read the full article here

Default Re: Ocean Currents - Chandler Burr recommends 6 'beach' fragrances

Last edited by Snafoo; 14th May 2010 at 02:16 AM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

I think Burr is crazy, since he gave only two stars to Bobbi Brown Beach and now he's recommending it?
    I don't take his reviews seriously. There's a lot of stuff that he reviews as wonderful (like D&G Feminine) that you can only assume that he's being paid for write that things or that he has completely lost his taste...

I saw this too, and was bummed there wasn't anything really out there on it. I was hoping for something new to try, bummer. I really don't think Sel de Vetiver reminds me of the beach in the least, but I DO agree with Sel Marin.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

No Virgin Island Water, Acqua di Sale, Aqua Moto??? I don't know what kind of beaches Burr hangs out at.

Thanks for sharing this Mike. Burr will be Burr, and that you can be sure.

Basenotes Institution

I felt a little disappointed yesterday when I saw it, since in the last 2 postings by Burr on the blog he has stopped rating the scents. Which honestly, was my favorite part of reading his reviews. Not sure if that was a personal choice of his, or the NYT's choice.

I did learn something new from the article though: I didn't know that Coppertone sun tan lotion was based around an orange blossom accord.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 15th May 2010 at 02:36 AM.

It's probably just recommendations outside of the regular scent notes (a term he has stolen from his masters publications in Zurich). We shall know by this fall if ratings are gone forever...

I never related Hermès’ Un Jardin en Mediterranée to the seaside. But that offers another chance to pay tribute (and a half!) to Ellena. Erolfa would have been more on topic. I could also think of at least two Montales, a company he keeps ignoring.
    Just as Kevin said, there are certain things we can rely on :-) !
    Last edited by narcus; 17th May 2010 at 04:47 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    ...I never related Hermès’ Un Jardin en Mediterranee to the seaside. But that offers another chance to pay tribute (and a half!) to Ellena...
    Same here narcus. That scent makes me think of fruit and cedar...things that are green. Not the ocean.