Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: How important is Perfume longevity for you?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • I look at quality more than Longeivty!

42 35.00%
  • Atleast 6+ hours

40 33.33%
  • More than 6 hours

38 31.67%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How important is longevity?

How important is Perfume Longevity?

Default Re: How important is longevity?

a lot. that's why i dont spend $100+ on creed. great colognes smell great, and last long. doesnt need to be all day, but longer than 4 hours. i prefer 6-8 hr range.

Don't "at least 6+ hours" and "more than 6 hours" mean essentially the same thing?

My answer would be that less than 4 hours is a problem. I do value more time beyond that, but it's not a huge issue.

I like strong, long-lasting fragrances. Twelve hours is ideal, I'd say, but six hours is just fine. Three hours or less and I'm left feeling ripped-off of a drydown.

Longevity is very important to me but scents lasts very poorly on my skin.

For me, longevity was mostly a newbie issue. Once I was able to avoid top note problems, I could always smell the frag for at least 5 hours with all the EdTs I tried, probably more like 7. And 7 is more than enough for me, because I never use more than 2 sprays with an EdT. If I want it stronger, and perhaps a bit longer lasting, I would just spray 4 or 5 times instead.

DeepSilence

I think i voted wrong!(#1) logivity is important. but i use to use Perfume Oil. I wear it under my coat's collar. usually 4-5 drop i wear. Sometimes i have it for 1 or even 2 months !! it depends to perfume. but in average longevity is about a week.
    Last edited by DeepSilence; 11th May 2010 at 07:45 AM.

To me longevity is pretty much a do or don't thing for me. I don't care if the smell is heaven but if the longevity is poor then I'm screaming next.

It's hard to lay down a hard rule on this one for me. Longevity is very important, but isn't everything. When a scent has longevity I boast about that element of it and make as if that makes the scent all the more worthy for thread readers to consider, but if a scent doesn't have longevity, like the R&G Extra Vieille I've been wearing every day for a week, I wear it out of love for an importance smell wise that trumps my wishes for longevity.

Hard to make a declaration about longevity itself. I'm more likely to make declarations about individual scents rather than a quality that is outside of but also a part of wearing the scent. The smell can trump worries about longevity.

As a result I haven't chosen an option in the poll.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Ideally, I would like the longevity from most fragrances to last me from morning till evening.
    However, I have learnt after all these years at basenotes, that a lot of terrific fragrances may not meet my longevity benchmark and as a result I am flexible now.
    Case in point is that of Creed Millesime Imperial. I despise it because of its pathetic longevity. However as a fragrance I quite admire it.

Other noteworthy exceptions are :
    Hermes Eau D'orange Verte
    Creed Erolfa
    Creed Selection Verte
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver

Longevity and also sillage are a must be!

i dont really get the difference between the second and the third options .... anyway, longivity is so important to me .....

Its make or break as far as Im concerned

Dependent

Hugely important. I tend to favor stronger, more lasting scents. There are a few exceptions of beautifully made scents that are very light and/or fleeting at the same time, that I thoroughly enjoy, but they are a minority. Eg of a rather short-lasting one that I consider HG material - Felanilla.
    Last edited by MFJ; 11th May 2010 at 08:55 AM.

I appreciate and like several fragrances which have poor longevity - Guerlain Eau du Coq, R&G Extra Vieille and Eau Sauvage to name a few - however, I tend to favour longer lasting fragrances as it can be irritating and disappointing when a great scent disappears in a couple of hours. I leave the house on a morning at around 7:30am so if something lasts 5 hours it has pretty much gone by lunchtime!

Its very important to me. I dont buy $60+ stuff to get 2-3 hours of it. Thats longetivity I am willing to accept from deodorant or cheap $10 cologne but not from expensive EDT.

Banned

It's a deal breaker! Recently sampled Xerjoff Kobe and it only lasts 3-4 hours with a generous application using an atomizer with 5 sprays to the chest, and one spray to each wrist. Fragrances that expensive should last at least 5 hours. I'm more lenient with cheaper longevity issues.
    Last edited by teger; 12th May 2010 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    It's hard to lay down a hard rule on this one for me. Longevity is very important, but isn't everything. When a scent has longevity I boast about that element of it and make as if that makes the scent all the more worthy for thread readers to consider, but if a scent doesn't have longevity, like the R&G Extra Vieille I've been wearing every day for a week, I wear it out of love for an importance smell wise that trumps my wishes for longevity.

Hard to make a declaration about longevity itself. I'm more likely to make declarations about individual scents rather than a quality that is outside of but also a part of wearing the scent. The smell can trump worries about longevity.

As a result I haven't chosen an option in the poll.
    Well said.
    Let your nose be your pilot

pretty tough question
    My answer is "I look at quality more than Longeivty!"
    I really enjoy some 3-4h lasting colognes, they are created to cheer me up!
    although work fragrances should hit 7-8 h mark
    every fragrance has its purpose, some are for quick walk some are for all night clubbing and I dont dislike fragrance just if it last only 3-4 hours like Mugler Colone or any Varvatos cologne
    Last edited by yrk; 11th May 2010 at 11:35 AM.
    Tell Hugo, he isnt boss anymore.
    Nieruchomości Gorzów

I think 'longevity' is a sort of a relative term and has to be seen in context of the style and concentration and even the intent of the perfume being rated. There is no 'one size fits all' when it comes to judging longevity IMO. With stuff I own I generally (and I use that word loosely) expect:

EdC - a good couple of hours
    EdT - another couple of hours
    EdP - another couple of hours
    Extrait / Parfum / Attar - several hours

Granted there are some scents that overstay their welcome and some that exit too early, but I don't think you can just lay down a blanket time frame and say "less than X hours = bad, more than X hours = good" when you have natural eau de colognes on the one hand, and heavy hitting gourmand / oriental EdPs on the other. I also don't think longevity means much at all if you have something that blows it's budget in the first five minutes and then relies on deftly applied chemical spill to ensure it lingers on . . . and on . . . and on, for as far as the eye can see.

I voted for the 'quality' option.

Sur la Plage

No longevity = no purchase

It has to have quality AND longevity for me.

I have a pretty high-paced, busy job (12+ hour days). So I am not going to be switching fragrances during the day or have time to worry about reapplying a fragrance.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 11th May 2010 at 05:37 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

It's important enough that I'll never ever buy Gendarme again even though I like the scent immensely.

Quality/beauty of composition is the only thing that matters. Good longevity is just a bonus.

If a fragrance isn't beautiful, it doesn't matter how long it lasts.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    Splits: O'driu, La Via del Profumo/AbdesSalaam Attar, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

The ideal longevity should, in my opinion, equal or exceed 6 hours, since quality and elaborate notes alone are not enough without a certain amount of persistence and projection

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    No longevity = no purchase
    + 1

I agree with petruccijc & with Ken_Russel
    Last edited by M.David; 11th May 2010 at 03:12 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Not a dealbreaker for me as long as it lasts 4-6 hours on average, with the exception of EDCs which may last 2-3 hrs. I tend to reapply or change a scent by late afternoon anyway. If I want to wear something lasting, I'd just pick one of the longer wearing scents. That's why we have a wardrobe - for options.

I voted for quality. If longevity is an issue, you can also decant. Why put up with a turd that lasts 12+ hours?
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    I like strong, long-lasting fragrances. Twelve hours is ideal, I'd say, but six hours is just fine. Three hours or less and I'm left feeling ripped-off of a drydown.
    He said it!!!

Blog Entries

very important! im paying money, often a good amount, for this stuff. i want it to atleast last more than an hour, thats a joke. if its not 6+ hours, to me its a waste of money

I don't care much about sillage but longevity. Each of the colognes I have in the wardrobe last at least 12 hrs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    I voted for quality. If longevity is an issue, you can also decant. Why put up with a turd that lasts 12+ hours?
    Precisely! I don't like to choose one fragrance and have to stick with it for half the day. I enjoy being able to switch to something else within a couple hours. If I do want to wear it the whole day then I can decant and spray it on clothing (at close range) which, for me, will make it last a hell of a lot longer.
    Last edited by CanwllCorfe; 11th May 2010 at 04:26 PM.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Blog Entries

Once I find a really good fragrance I want longevity as part of the fragrance package.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 11th May 2010 at 06:09 PM.

Sorry to be in the dissenting minority: longevity is truly my LAST criterion when it comes to fragrances.

Not that I despise longevity, God forbid. If I like some smell, of course I would love for it to last as long as possible. It's only that the quality of the experience means 99% with me, and the length only 1%. To me, there's no trade-off: I prefer instantly a 30 minutes smell which I truly love to a so-so fragrance which lasts forever. Unfortunately it often comes to this kind of choice. Yes, a fragrance can be sublime AND long-lasting, but very rarely.

One of the fragrances which marry, for me, unexpected (not humongous) longevity and quality is Green Irish Tweed. ALL my other fragrances are a lot shorter lived. I accept that, insofar choosing a fragrance is not for me a "no matter what, I want people to smell this after six hours" issue. If I like the *quality* of a fragrance enough, I can reapply, or I can accept it just disappeared.

I can also accept other people have other - equally legitimate - priorities.

I wear scent to work and cannot be reapplying all day. The only scent that wowed me with dismal longevity was Annick Goutal Duel.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I guess I'm in the minority, but longevity is not that critical.

If I was comparing 2 fragrances that I thought were of equal quality, sure I'd choose the one with better longevity.

But if I came across a fragrance that I thought was great but lasted less than say, 4 hours (even down to 2 or 3), It wouldn't prevent me from purchasing it.

I don't mind carrying an atomizer and reapplying.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Very Important or I won't purchase. Anything 7 or more hours.

Quote Originally Posted by goutam02 View Post
    How important is Perfume Longevity?
    Sorry guys, the 2nd and 3rd option are the same; I have absolutely no idea how to edit the poll.....!

To me it's more about the quality of the scent, though I would have a hard time buying anything that lasted less than four hours or so... To put it another way, I'd much rather own a 5 star scent that lasted 5 hours over a 4 star scent that lasted 10...

If it dont last long i wont buy it

Alot of times I will turn down a fragrance being FB worthy due to longevity
    but there are always exceptions
    another factor I think may be at work here is the way I apply, usually to wrists and shirt + neck.
    Plus olfactory fatigue maybe a huge issue we don't take into consideration!
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Duration don't matter, as long as it's huge and strong. Perfumes I mean.
    WTT: Creed SMW for Creed GIT.

So, the way I see it judging by the polls is that some of you guys will disregard a masterful fragrance, using either the most expensive natural ingredients in the world or some very expensive synthetics, something that smells like god's nectar, because it doesn't last a day and a half? Jeez, that's what an atomizer is for.

Edit: To that it even farther, if something lasts too long, as in more than 10 hours, I'm far more likely to not purchase it than something that lasts not long enough.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 11th May 2010 at 10:25 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

No matter how much I loved a fragrance, if it's longevity was poor I simply wouldn't buy it!

I don't care about longevity. I like my cologne to stay close to the skin, not envelop others in a cloud of stink. Most colognes have good longevity by this standard.

Longevity to me is a priority. If I choose to spend £X on a scent, I do not want something I enjoy but only fleetingly. I will aplly my fragrances in the morning, and ideally want it to last most of the day, or certainly for the greater part of it until that evening. Sillage is not something that concerns me, I do not care how much the scent projects to others, it is for me primarily. The discreet waft of my scent of the day some 7-8 hours after application pleases me enormously. I tend to avoid scents with poor longevity but conversely I also avoid those with excess sillage.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    So, the way I see it judging by the polls is that some of you guys will disregard a masterful fragrance, using either the most expensive natural ingredients in the world or some very expensive synthetics, something that smells like god's nectar, because it doesn't last a day and a half? Jeez, that's what an atomizer is for.
    I'm with you!

I don't get it. I'm actually pretty shocked that so many would pass up an amazing fragrance if it didn't last as long as they want.

It's almost like passing up a meal with the best tasting cuisine because the portions aren't large.

Again, I just don't get it. Sorry guys.

To add: reapplying a fragrance from an atomizer lets you experience the top notes again. It's not a bad thing.
    Last edited by Simon Moon; 12th May 2010 at 12:58 AM.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

It's also worth remembering that just because you can't smell it, that doesn't mean others can't. You stop smelling yourself after a while, but the cologne is still noticeable to others.

Quote Originally Posted by boosh View Post
    no matter how much i loved a fragrance, if it's longevity was poor i simply wouldn't buy it!
    agree!

My priorities are:
    1. Scent - this is obviously the important one. I'd gladly take an amazing scent that lasts 4 hours over a mediocre scent that lasts 12.

2. Longevity - can be a deal breaker in extreme circumstances, I'm just as likely to turn down a scent where the top notes just don't disappear as I am to ignore one which only lasts an hour or 2. Basically anything in the 4-10 hour category is ideal (just the right length for a meal out up to a day at the office), but I'm more reticent to buy something with an extremely short duration.

3. Sillage - I have no worries if a scent is a sillage monster or a very-close-to-the-skin scent. If anything, I prefer only 12-18 inches of sillage so that it's a more fleeting waft for people who get close.

Very important

Without decent longevity there is no point to wearing scent. I don't want to carry an atomizer around with me all day to freshen up. A masterpiece scent is totally worthless without longevity.

Let me give an example. I own a bottle of Bois d'Encens by Armani Prive. I absolutely love it. It just sits there because it only lasts 30 minutes tops. A total waste of money.
    Last edited by thebeck; 12th May 2010 at 02:19 PM.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Moon View Post
    I'm with you!

I don't get it. I'm actually pretty shocked that so many would pass up an amazing fragrance if it didn't last as long as they want.

It's almost like passing up a meal with the best tasting cuisine because the portions aren't large.

Again, I just don't get it. Sorry guys.

To add: reapplying a fragrance from an atomizer lets you experience the top notes again. It's not a bad thing.
    And you can bring a pack of Oreos with you to eat after dinner because the meal didn't fill you up.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    And you can bring a pack of Oreos with you to eat after dinner because the meal didn't fill you up.
    Yes! That's my answer, there's always more food at home, but how often do you get a chance to have an masterful meal?
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Longevity is definitely critical. Honestly, 6hrs is a serious minimum for me. It needs to be able to pull off a 9am-3pm work day at the very least for me to consider it FBW. I know that I can freshen up from an atomizer, but I don't want to carry around an atomizer and I don't want a bottle that only lasts me 3 months because I have to spray it so often. Even if it smells heavenly, its not practical or economical.

And to the person who made a reference to food, yes I would not eat at a restaurant with good food and little portions. I'd rather be full from the meal, and I'd rather enjoy 3 sprays of a good scent all day versus only for 2-3hrs.

Fragrance means many things to many people: it can be a matter of social custom, of social assertiveness, of leaving a (literal) trace in people's consciousness, of picking up "chicks" or else... it can also be a personal, ineffable, quasi-artistic experience.

There's nothing wrong with any of these. Those who want to "get their bang for their buck" are perfectly entitled to refuse exceedingly fleeting experiences.

On the other hand, for those who look at perfume the way they listen to music, an unforgettable, short-lived miniature can be more compelling and valuable an experience than a heavy, boring, predictable symphony.

I want some fragrances to last a long time. Others I wish wouldn't last SO DAMN LONG (15+ hours is too much, as is lasting through a shower). Some frags I would prefer to last 4 or less hours.. it's nice to splash on something casual for a few hours of errands, and not have to shower when you want to apply your SoTE say, 3 or 4 hours later.

I really like the way Addict summarized it, above. I enjoy perfume the way I enjoy music.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Are we creating a false dichotomy? Some seem to be saying that if a scent has longevity then it must smell cheap and that somehow ephemerality equates with quality. I'm trying to imagine the argument that a beautiful car that breaks down 3 miles from the dealership is just fine. Or that an expensive pair of shoes that wears out in a week is a keeper. No one has said (that I've seen) that they want a crappy perfume that lasts. I like the smell of every fragrance I have or I wouldn't own them, but what good is a scent that you cannot smell? Surely there are well-made fragrances that are still detectable at the end of the day.

Also, the scent doesn't need to be a foghorn. Simply put, I'd like to still notice it several hours after I apply; close to the skin is ok - invisible is not. Decanting and reapplying are compromises that can work, but are not always practical depending on one's line of work, etc. It seems reasonable to expect a $150 bottle of scent to last at least until you get to the car.

Quote Originally Posted by swanky View Post
    Are we creating a false dichotomy? Some seem to be saying that if a scent has longevity then it must smell cheap and that somehow ephemerality equates with quality. I'm trying to imagine the argument that a beautiful car that breaks down 3 miles from the dealership is just fine. Or that an expensive pair of shoes that wears out in a week is a keeper. No one has said (that I've seen) that they want a crappy perfume that lasts. I like the smell of every fragrance I have or I wouldn't own them, but what good is a scent that you cannot smell? Surely there are well-made fragrances that are still detectable at the end of the day.
    With apologies, we are not really creating that - false indeed - dichotomy. Certain perfumery materials - such as natural citrus essences, some floral elements - cannot last six or more hours due to their very nature. Quality fragrances centered on those elements cannot last forever, no matter how much one would want them to. Would I want a 95% natural traditional eau de cologne, with no compromise in quality, to last 12 hours? Sure. Am I ready to accept a much heavier on the chemicals version, imitating poorly a lemony scent, just because it seems to never die on the skin? Sorry, no. (Just my preference.)

Absolutely, there are well-made fragrances, based on specific durable components, that are still detectable at the end of the day. There are also well-made fragrances which last a lot less than that. For people who love the individuality of a fragrance beyond its practicality, and don't believe that any "OK" fragrance can substitute any other "OK" fragrance, longevity, while not indifferent, is simply not the primary criterion.

That doesn't mean at all, of course, that all long-lasting fragrances would be inferior. Not at all. Many are, though.

I cannot absorb the car analogy, even if some perfumes do remind me of SUVs. If it would be applicable, the bottom line would be that a beautiful car which breaks down after 6 miles is much superior to a beautiful car which breaks down after 3 miles. A fragrance is not something you can truly "own" the way you own a car. One is graciously "lent" a fleeting use of it and, within this fragile grace-time, whether the experience lasts three hours or six hours is not necessarily a deal breaker.

One can feel satiated for a longer time after a Big Mac than after a roll of exquisite, absolutely perfectly balanced sushi. Again, this is not a criterion to all. On the other hand, as your post suggests, there can be dishes which are both exquisite and make you not feel hungry for seven hours, but that doesn't mean that aiming for the latter should be a rule or a criterion for all. It would impoverish, not enrich one's cuisine choices.
    Last edited by Addict; 13th May 2010 at 07:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I really like the way Addict summarized it, above. I enjoy perfume the way I enjoy music.
    So we made our peace... (-:

I want my perfumes to be enigmatic, alluring, subtle.

Like a Chopin Mazurka, not like a Soviet anthem.

Quote Originally Posted by timkm1 View Post
    Longevity is definitely critical. Honestly, 6hrs is a serious minimum for me. It needs to be able to pull off a 9am-3pm work day at the very least for me to consider it FBW. I know that I can freshen up from an atomizer, but I don't want to carry around an atomizer and I don't want a bottle that only lasts me 3 months because I have to spray it so often. Even if it smells heavenly, its not practical or economical.

And to the person who made a reference to food, yes I would not eat at a restaurant with good food and little portions. I'd rather be full from the meal, and I'd rather enjoy 3 sprays of a good scent all day versus only for 2-3hrs.
    Fully agree