Code of Conduct

Lightbulb If it is true that Prince Charles uses both Floris No. 89 and Guerlain Vetiver then why...

...Why don't they have a warrant as perfumers? I believe Floris only has a Warrant as "Manufacturers of Toilet Preparatories". I am also quite surprised to hear that he uses the standard 89 and Vetiver, I would have thought that one like Prince Charles would go for bespoke!

Default Re: If it is true that Prince Charles uses both Floris No. 89 and Guerlain Vetiver then why...

bespoke in suits maybe but in scents that would seem frivolous. it would also be very hard to commission if you don't have a good nose. i know i could never commission one well enough from a blank slate. like i'd probably just go to patou/guerlain and ask them to make me a better version of my favorite frag and turn something up a note i really like about it like soapiness for example. there are also so many scents out there that one doesn't need to go bespoke.

Default Re: If it is true that Prince Charles uses both Floris No. 89 and Guerlain Vetiver then why...

I believe Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands went bespoke for a while. Not sure if she still does.

Smile Re: If it is true that Prince Charles uses both Floris No. 89 and Guerlain Vetiver then why...

I've read for many times that he always wears GIT;maybe he is a secret basenoter with a few hundred scents.....

Quote Originally Posted by sniff View Post
    I've read for many times that he always wears GIT;maybe he is a secret basenoter with a few hundred scents.....
    Who knows!

I wonder what the good duke of Edinburgh uses, it's been rumored Penhaligon's right?

Warrants to be honest were given out as favours by royality. Many kings and queens got into debt alot gambling etc and used to give out royal warrants for money.

Penhaligons do have a warrant but it goes back many many many years. Some stores got warrants for supplying christmas puddings(that was all they supplied). So who knows what was actually given or bought by any royal.

Charlie is a boring old f*rt anyway so I expect him to be run of the mill. Or whatever horseface wifey buys him.

Guerlain is a French company and wouldn't get a English royal warrant anyway.
    DONNA

I actually like Prince Charles. I got the opportunity to meet him at a function in grad school in England, and he seems like a very charming person. He chatted to all of us and had no airs about him. I'd consider him a MPG Parfun d'Habit person.

Thumbs up Re: If it is true that Prince Charles uses both Floris No. 89 and Guerlain Vetiver then why...

ARLINGTON from D R Harris
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Prince Charles is slightly insane but a delightful person, I like him.

Quote Originally Posted by AGR View Post
    I wonder what the good duke of Edinburgh uses, it's been rumored Penhaligon's right?
    I think Truefitt and Hill have his Royal Warrant, a fine line of men's perfumes and toiletries/shaving goods.

D.R. Harris have the warrant of the Prince of Wales. Again, these may be for just toiletries.

I heard the late Princess of Wales preferred Hermes 24, Faubourg as a favoured scent. I also understand Mouchoir de Monsieur was made only for King Juan Carlos and French actor Jean-Claude Brialy, but there is no warrant of any kind.

http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.com/20...fragrance.html
    Last edited by Primrose; 14th May 2010 at 01:10 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Warrants to be honest were given out as favours by royality. Many kings and queens got into debt alot gambling etc and used to give out royal warrants for money.

Penhaligons do have a warrant but it goes back many many many years. Some stores got warrants for supplying christmas puddings(that was all they supplied). So who knows what was actually given or bought by any royal.

Charlie is a boring old f*rt anyway so I expect him to be run of the mill. Or whatever horseface wifey buys him.

Guerlain is a French company and wouldn't get a English royal warrant anyway.
    The Comte d'Orsay (who had huge gambling debts and lifestyle expenditures--his mistresses were not cheap, I am sure) made the fortunes of many tradesmen in London in the 1830s and 1840s. In fact, shops "advertised" that he patronised them with placards in their windows, much like a warrant, I suppose. In fact, his patronage carried more weight than a Royal Warrant.

The Comte did not accept money for endorsements, but the legend goes that tailors left money in his suit pockets to reward him for his patronage...
    Last edited by Primrose; 14th May 2010 at 01:22 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Prince Charles is also reputed to wear Blenheim Bouquet.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Prince Charles and GIT have been mentioned quite a few times in the past by Creed

Royal use doesn't equate to a warrant. Here's the Wikipedia on royal warrants:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Warrant
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Prince Charles and GIT have been mentioned quite a few times in the past by Creed
    Oh, the_good_life, where are you to help clarify this!!

http://perfumedpolitics.blogspot.com...-pasts-of.html

Quote Originally Posted by sniff View Post
    I have read this before too Sniff.....If I am correct Creed makes this statement also.....Gary

Quote Originally Posted by AGR View Post
    ...Why don't they have a warrant as perfumers? I believe Floris only has a Warrant as "Manufacturers of Toilet Preparatories". I am also quite surprised to hear that he uses the standard 89 and Vetiver, I would have thought that one like Prince Charles would go for bespoke!
    I can't find any current warrants given out for perfumers just for "Manufacturers of Toilet Preparatories" so perhaps it's just the category they place perfumers into:
    http://www.royalwarrant.org/director...&search_btn=Go

Well, the last time we played polo with him he did not smell like wearing anything at all...

(joking. sorry, I could not help it!)