Code of Conduct

Question Ladies, what does a fragrance tell you about a man?

Unfortunately we are a judgemental society, we are judged by the way we talk, dress, walk and all the things we do. I was wondering whether fragrance was a factor which is taken in account by women when meeting someone for the first time, does it tell you something about a man? Will it help you forge a primary opinion about this person?

Default Re: Ladies, what does a fragrance tell you about a man?

well... it tells me nothing.

sory.

I'm being objective. Whatever perfume the "he" might use, I only judge it with my personal preferences, so... therefore, I can;t tell anything about someone based on what frags he uses.

Same for women, btw
    "Diego: Why did you do that? you could've died trying to rescue me.
    Manfred: That's what you do in a herd: you look out for each other. " (Ice Age)

agr, in response to all your threads, grow some, and be a man
    ; )

Quote Originally Posted by AGR View Post
    Unfortunately we are a judgemental society, we are judged by the way we talk, dress, walk and all the things we do. I was wondering whether fragrance was a factor which is taken in account by women when meeting someone for the first time, does it tell you something about a man? Will it help you forge a primary opinion about this person?
    You seem very keen on this subject and it shows in many threads. You are eager to learn, I am sure.

Women are individuals. I posted that sticky for you on the men's forum. I hope you read it. No ONE scent will attract a woman. Scent in general likewise means many things. To some women, the man is overly-groomed, metrosexual, homosexual, into himself, obsessed with grooming, etc. A hundred different answers.

To ME, and only to me, fragrance on a man is a sign of good grooming and pride in his appearance. It shows he likes the sensual (i.e. the senses) side of life--such as enjoying good food and wine, and fine clothing.

That is just ME...

Please stop trying to generalise women and people in general. Just enjoy wearing fragrance because it makes YOU happy. Stop worrying too much about this. Just enjoy your scents and wear them with a sense of fun and confidence.

Confidence is very sexy in a man. This shows in the way he carries himself, the way he talks, his easy laughter and genuine knowledge that he likes who he is.
    Last edited by Primrose; 14th May 2010 at 01:33 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

What does a fragrance on a man convey to me? Hmmm, interesting question. Well for one thing , the man wearing the frag is assertiving his prefrence for what he likes, and how he wants to be perceived. Smell is such an important part of the human senses that we can't help make initial opinions whether right or wrong. Yeah, its so much fun to be right.

the same fragrance may tell totally different things on different people.
    like clothes really.

one fragrance that demands authority on a clint eastwood, would probably smell ridiculous on an orlando bloom.

Well...let's see. I've been with my husband for so long now, and he doesn't use cologne, that I have to think about this. If a man uses an interesting fragrance, I think that he may be an interesting person, have refined or descriminating tastes, which I take as a sign of intelligence. If he has drowned himself in some swill I tend to look down my nose at him a bit, like "Doesn't he know any better than to suffocate everybody in range?!!". I'm just being honest, and don't like that I feel that way...but I do. I will think that that man is a bit of a brute. If the man is wearing a popular designer fragrance with an acceptable level of sillage, I will think that he uses fragrance as an extension of grooming and dressing himself. And I appreciate the efforts he makes on behalf of others. If he wears a fragrance I know to be a feminine fragrance, or anthing really different than the normal nice men's fragrance, then I will definitely sit up and take notice because that means he is either a perfumista I'd like to chat with, or he is someone with an open mind and most likely an interesting perspective on various subjects. If he wears a light subtle cologne that makes me want to get closer, I will approve of his discretion. And if he wears patchouli I will just want to follow him around all day.

Blog Entries

I agree with Primrose very much, every woman is different. Her culture, her upbringing, her family, unique events of her life will influence her response to just about anything, including fragrance.

As for me? Well, I am a married woman, I do not date, obviously, and my husband uses fragrances because while I'm trying something for myself he likes to try something for himself.

About other men -- when it's a more or less quiet conversation with someone, I will notice if they are wearing a fragrance, but mainly it is the way they carry out a conversation will determine for me if I'd like to see that man again (say, for dinner in my house). If it's a crowded and noisy place, then the fragrance will make a difference between me just looking at a man and not looking. In the crowd a nice smell stands out for me a lot more than looks or words.

I don't know if it's helpful, but I wanted to answer your sincere and genuine question in a sincere and genuine way, so here it goes!

Really nothing, it's just his personal preference, and to me doesn't mean anything. Unless he wears an excessive amount, then I would speculate that he is insecure & trying too hard. Or that he is inconsiderate. (Unless his actions/words seemed to indicate otherwise.)

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    If he wears a fragrance I know to be a feminine fragrance, or anthing really different than the normal nice men's fragrance, then I will definitely sit up and take notice because that means he is either a perfumista I'd like to chat with, or he is someone with an open mind and most likely an interesting perspective on various subjects.
    Has that ever actually happened to you? I would probably react the same way, but I don't think I've ever smelled anyone of either sex wearing something interesting or meant for the other sex (i.e. not a relatively common designer scent). I really wish I would.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 18th May 2010 at 05:07 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Has that ever actually happened to you? I would probably react the same way, but I don't think I've ever smelled anyone of either sex wearing something interesting or meant for the other sex (i.e. not a relatively common designer scent). I really with I would.
    No, LiveJazz, not that I can recall. The only one who came close was a male friend who used Coco as room scent in his boutique. I guess I was just fantasizing what if.

If a man is wearing fragrance, it tells you (1) that he owns a bottle of perfume. From this observation you can deduce (2) that he bought the perfume himself which means (2a) he’s gay. On the other hand (3) he could habe received the perfume as a gift which leads to two possibilities: (3a) He already has a girlfriend or (3b) is married.

As you can see it is evident that wearing perfume is no good idea if you want to attract girls.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

It tells me only that he likes fragrance.

Basenotes Institution

I agree with 30 Roses. Fragrance is so diverse ,it's hard to tell except he cares enough to wear some scent.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 17th May 2010 at 11:59 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I agree with Primrose - a man wearing a fragrance means, to me, that he cares about his grooming and that he is tuned in to aesthetics - and willing to spend his money on himself to express himself. All good.

reine

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    It tells me only that he likes fragrance.
    Exactly!
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lorag View Post
    If a man is wearing fragrance, it tells you (1) that he owns a bottle of perfume. From this observation you can deduce (2) that he bought the perfume himself which means (2a) hes gay. On the other hand (3) he could habe received the perfume as a gift which leads to two possibilities: (3a) He already has a girlfriend or (3b) is married.

As you can see it is evident that wearing perfume is no good idea if you want to attract girls.
    I disagree with this last statement. Fragrance is as much a part of good grooming as bathing, shaving and dressing well. These will always attract women.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

If a guy applies too much fragrance is gives the impression that he seems a bit desperate for attention. Other than that it doesn't say much more than he likes wearing fragrance and the sensual aspect of smell. I mean I don't analyze what the fragrance he is wearing could say about his personality or anything like that. Despite being single I tend to walk through life rather oblivious to the men around me, I really should pay more attention. lol That said, if a guy smells good I am more likely to notice him.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I disagree with this last statement. Fragrance is as much a part of good grooming as bathing, shaving and dressing well. These will always attract women.
    I disagree with this last statement. Some like it raw.

ps: I just realized I disagree with the previous statement as well. I doubt that the majority of people consider fragrance as important a part of grooming as bathing and shaving, if at all.
    Last edited by sarıpatates; 18th May 2010 at 04:34 PM.

So, Esquire, the big takeaway is that fragrance will definitely do one of three things with regards to women:

1) Make them think you're suave
    2) Make them think you're scum
    3) They won't notice or won't care.

So, armed with this revelatory data, may you succeed in all your romantic endeavors!!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

4) They will rip your clothes off.
    5) They will hate the fragrance you're wearing and wish you were wearing something else.
    6) They will wish you were wearing less.
    7) They will not be able to smell you because you aren't wearing enough.
    8) They will think you're an unmanly ponce.
    9) They will think you're a big reeking brute with testosterone oozing from your pores, and run in terror.
    10) They will worry that you spend all your money on fragrance and won't have enough left to support their gold-digging ambitions.

I'm no lady, but, c'mon! wearing a frag is something personal. You like to smell good, and you can feel better wearing a frag.

People can like the frag you're wearing but that doesn't make them have a better opinion on you. Personally, if someone is wearing a fragance i like, it just feels nicer to be near that person, but not in a sexual or romantic way.

Maybe i'm not clear enough making my point. It's good to smell good, you know, as a minimum, you should smell clean, that's basic: no odor or sweat smell, you know. The frangance you wear is for you, because the world around you it's full of individuals thay may or may not share your love for any scent. I have a girlfriend that doesn't like almost any fragances, she just doesn't care, and she is never going to tell someone if he/she smells good or not. That's why you shouldn't care about what people think about your scent. You wear a scent because you like it, because you like what that scent represents for you, if you want it to show your mood, etc. but the people around you may not agree with you

Quote Originally Posted by Thalia View Post
    4) They will rip your clothes off.
    5) They will hate the fragrance you're wearing and wish you were wearing something else.
    6) They will wish you were wearing less.
    7) They will not be able to smell you because you aren't wearing enough.
    8) They will think you're an unmanly ponce.
    9) They will think you're a big reeking brute with testosterone oozing from your pores, and run in terror.
    10) They will worry that you spend all your money on fragrance and won't have enough left to support their gold-digging ambitions.
    Thank you Thalia! LOL I think this answer is a winner!