Code of Conduct

Question What's the difference between Vintage Floris No. 89 and Floris No. 89 (2010)?

In another thread of mine someone said I should get Vintage bottles of Floris No. 89, does it is mean that the current 89 is different from the one that was originally made? After testing the samples which Floris sent me I was delighted by 89 and ordered one of the new vials.

Default Re: What's the difference between Vintage Floris No. 89 and Floris No. 89 (2010)?

Most modern perfumes are different from the ones that originally bore the name. Seasonal fluctuations in quality and pricing of natural products can create slight variations but the largest sources of change are the development of cheaper synthetics and the banning of ingredients by both government and industry-made regulations. It's a great hazard to perfume lovers that perfumes can be changed at any time for any reason with no notification from the manufacturer. Almost every iconic perfume has been changed to take advantage of modern synthetics, sometimes with no real dip in quality (Chanel No.5 is still relatively untouched I think) and more often marred into a shadow of its former self (Cabochard, Bandit, Tabac Blond etc etc ad nauseum).

Even if you like the current version of something it's worth getting your paws on a vintage version; there may be little difference between the two or they may be unrecognizable. For whatever reason I find perfumes' original incarnations are usually better than the later ones and I've yet to smell anything that's been reformulated from awful to excellent.
    Last edited by Zizanioides; 14th May 2010 at 06:30 AM.

Default Re: What's the difference between Vintage Floris No. 89 and Floris No. 89 (2010)?

I am sad to say that I have not had the opportunity to sample No. 89. However, from what I have read, the original No. 89 was a powdery, barbershop fougere. Floris discontinued it and introduced a completely different fragrance under the name "No. 89." The new fragrance is a citrus. I can make peace with seasonal variations, banned ingredients, that sort of thing, but this is as if Johnny Walker stopped putting whisky in its bottles and started putting lemon-lime soda pop in it instead.

I don't understand why companies like Floris would do this. People who used to buy No. 89 will stop buying it, because this is definitely not No. 89. People who didn't like No. 89 to begin with -- but who may like a nice citrus -- won't start buying this, because they won't be aware that this is not the No. 89 that they don't like. Seems like a recipe for failure to me.

A citrus?! But my 89 is powdery!

Quote Originally Posted by AGR View Post
    In another thread of mine someone said I should get Vintage bottles of Floris No. 89, does it is mean that the current 89 is different from the one that was originally made? After testing the samples which Floris sent me I was delighted by 89 and ordered one of the new vials.
    The citric richness of the opening is less bold, and the floral dustiness that made my bottles from the 80s and 90s so wonderful is less evident. I obviously have a preference for the original, but the current version is still a decent product. If you are enjoying it, you really should not get too hung up on the older version.

Quote Originally Posted by AGR View Post
    A citrus?! But my 89 is powdery!
    The powderiness of No.89 is what makes it such a delightful experience, but it does have a decidely citric opening. The top notes include bergamot, orange and neroli, and give it a very distinctive opening accord.

Beyond what has been mentioned, no. 89 has (had?) a nice touch of rose to it.

Everyone loves Vintage!
    Last edited by Lord Nellington; 15th May 2010 at 05:33 AM.