Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: NEW Dolce & Gabbana The one Gentleman

Heres my review on this! Feel free to subscribe if you like Fragrances!

Check out my YouTube Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/user/JRWRlTER

Quote Originally Posted by Dudester! View Post
    This kinda smelled like Body Kouros to me, although I'm not sure if that is the case and need more opinions on that. Anyone else think so? And which between these two would you pick overall?
    Between Body Kouros and The One Gentleman OR The One and The One Gentleman???

Overall I would opt for Body Kouros without any debate.

But if I had to choose between those two D&Gs, the One Gentleman is the better of the two IMO.

I personally think this one is boring, the grapefruit is cool but come on, another citrus fragrance in the designer realm. yawn.

Grape double bubble...no thanks

Yes, calero, between BK and The One Gentleman...glad to hear you picked my fav. too, BK over them

Indeed, BK is so captivating, the most alluring and "draw-you-in" fragrance, as nothing else comes close when we talk about "smooth" fragrances. A pure glory!

TM, thank you for the review!

I liked Gentleman, but I not enough to buy a full bottle. I am saving up for something else.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Finally tried this one today. Lordy, lordy, lordy. I now know that I'm not that big a fan of cardamom. After encountering it in Idole de Lubin, I felt it a hell of a lot in this one, along with the pepper. I enjoy the original more.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

[QUOTE=dannyboy;1834603]Apparently, this is supposed to be an "understated oriental" and "gentlemanly" in a modern way./QUOTE]

that it's understated is well .... an understatement

I thought this was pleasant enough, not likely to offend, but ultimately nothing special. I won't be picking this up

[QUOTE=SoGent;1970071]
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy View Post
    Apparently, this is supposed to be an "understated oriental" and "gentlemanly" in a modern way./QUOTE]

that it's understated is well .... an understatement
    I was quoting some promo ad. If you know the original and read that, you can´t deny that you´ve been warned!

I saw this frag today at Macy's not knowing that it even existed. Being a fan of the original "The One" I was very curious to try it out but from just sniffing the bottle itself (I know, not a proper way to truly test a frag) I immediately smelled an overwhelming bubble gum / grapefruit scent which made me not want to even attempt to spray it on my skin.

I'm a big fan of "The One" and only to be fair, the next time I'm in Macy's I'll try The One Gentleman on my skin. However with my impressions so far, I'm pretty sure I'll stick to the original.

Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    hehe, that one sole bottle of secret eau de parfum that escaped the d&g headquarter will become an legendary object of desire among perfume collectors very soon :-). The grail quest begins right now...
    started my goose egg hunt... found an edp tester at Dillards in Nebraska, the boxes for sale are edt the edp smells WAY more awesome. I'm am going to start looking closer at these things from now on. I adamantly believe they pulled this bait and switch move on me with the original The One...

This one is a decent "gentlemanly gourmand", meaning it's not overly crazy sweet, but definitely sweet enough to be a gourmand. I'm not crazy about the topnotes, but the drydown is fairly good for those who like smooth, sweet, opaque scents like John Varvatos.

Tried this the other day and must say I´m quite impressed. The original was good but too heavy on tonka making it both too heavy and one dimensional, a pity since the subtle tobacco note was quite pleasant. This one is very different to my nose, way more complex and non linear. The opening is peppery with a touch of toned down grapefruit. What follows isn´t particularly original, but seamlessly blended and very wearable. The heart and base of The One Gentleman remind me especially of Gucci Envy for men and Floris Santal. Sweet, herbal, densely woody and very masculine. The D&G has an additional smokey facet which might be some incense note, I don´t know. Further I´m slightly reminded of Serge Lutens Gris Clair and Lancôme´s Hypnose for men due to a rich and sweetish lavender note that remains persistent throughout the drydown.

This is a finely made fragrance that could actually be worn successfully with a tux like in the ads. Apart from the horrendous Light Blue pour homme (and some of the Anthology series) Dolce and Gabbana in my view still remain slightly above many of their designer peers regarding fragrances.

This is much better than I'd expected, but it still isn't worth buying, in my opinion. I've posted my review on my blog and here on BN.
    ---

I am a Jasmine Award winning fragrance critic, amateur perfumer, Basenotes contributor and regular columnist for Esprit Magazine. My perfume guide, Le Snob: Perfume, is published by Hardie Grant. Click on its title for more info.

For giveaways, reviews of new perfume releases and thoughts on all sorts of scent-related matters, please visit Persolaise.com or find me on Twitter or Facebook.

Many thanks.

The dry down of Gentleman smells identical to Musc Ravageur. Both are just as smooth & creamy of vanilla & patchouli

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyManMatt View Post
    Tried this the other day and must say I´m quite impressed. The original was good but too heavy on tonka making it both too heavy and one dimensional, a pity since the subtle tobacco note was quite pleasant. This one is very different to my nose, way more complex and non linear. The opening is peppery with a touch of toned down grapefruit. What follows isn´t particularly original, but seamlessly blended and very wearable. The heart and base of The One Gentleman remind me especially of Gucci Envy for men and Floris Santal. Sweet, herbal, densely woody and very masculine. The D&G has an additional smokey facet which might be some incense note, I don´t know. Further I´m slightly reminded of Serge Lutens Gris Clair and Lancôme´s Hypnose for men due to a rich and sweetish lavender note that remains persistent throughout the drydown.

This is a finely made fragrance that could actually be worn successfully with a tux like in the ads. Apart from the horrendous Light Blue pour homme (and some of the Anthology series) Dolce and Gabbana in my view still remain slightly above many of their designer peers regarding fragrances.
    What he said, this review is spot on!
    Gucci Envy and Floris Santal were exactly the fragrances that sprung up in my mind too. I like it.

i like how people are enjoying this more now. When i first smelled this i really liked it and bought it

Quote Originally Posted by remixx View Post
    i like how people are enjoying this more now. When i first smelled this i really liked it and bought it
    Me too I agree. This works well with my skin. This is an excellent scent. Only thing that is upsetting me is that I should have gotten the bigger bottle.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I think this is a very very good scent. D&G have really scored here. Lavender, vanilla, cardamom plus other spices, and the ghost of By Man. The significant lavender adds maturity to the frag and the cardamom cuts the sweetness some. This is one frag i am going to enjoy a lot.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Ok ppl, is it just me or The One Gentleman is Gucci Envy for men wannabe?

At first The one struck me as poor longevity and sillage scent but it proved me wrong. Ok, projection could be just a little bit better, but still I was pleasantly surprised to feel it even after solid 8 hours. I sure am going to test this one again!

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    What he said, this review is spot on!
    Gucci Envy and Floris Santal were exactly the fragrances that sprung up in my mind too. I like it.
    didn't see your post till now, but it's good to know I'm not the only one who feels Gucci Envy For Men in this

Blog Entries

It's a decent scent for me. It seems to me like D&G took the original and moved it in the same direction as Marc Jacobs BANG, only not as far. Meaning that the pepper and dry wood dominate for me. The more I've worn it, the more that the other components come through - the spices are very nice. I see the parallels to Gucci Envy, but for me the sweet oriental characteristics are so much less that I am reminded more of the original "the one".

I'm not tempted to buy it right now, but it might happen someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    It's a decent scent for me. It seems to me like D&G took the original and moved it in the same direction as Marc Jacobs BANG, only not as far. Meaning that the pepper and dry wood dominate for me. The more I've worn it, the more that the other components come through - the spices are very nice. I see the parallels to Gucci Envy, but for me the sweet oriental characteristics are so much less that I am reminded more of the original "the one".

This is how I perceive things as well.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I just got it and really like it alot. I don't find it similar to Envy at all, which I'm not really a fan of. What I do find it similar to is the JV 10th anniversary which I happened to just acquire, too. JV10 is more powdery and TOG more fruity but they remind me of each other. Although I picked up a T-shirt this morning to toss it in the laundry and gave it a smell, thought I smelled Pure Coffee on it. Upon closer inspection of the shirt I realized I was wearing JV10 that day.
    Last edited by Pipsta; 13th December 2010 at 07:13 PM. Reason: fixed month old typos...lol
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

From the first sniff it seems to be similar to women's Estee Lauder Sensuous - vanilla scent with woods and pepper, but maybe The One Gentleman is less sweet and... earthier, I think.
    Watch my recent video review of
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PW_V1G0aw

I liked it enough to grab the after shave balm and shower gel, as well. Good stuff.

Cool Re: NEW Dolce & Gabbana The one Gentleman

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post

I also think this new scent has a little bit of "Gucci Envy" smell, hard base notes of original "D&G The One" and reminds me a lot to "Hugo Boss Soul".

Very nice fragrance for all day in office/work.

I tried this one last night. I don't really like the original The One, mainly because I'm not a fan of its amber-tobacco dry down + it only lasts 4 hours on my skin.

As for The One Gentleman, its opening is not as loud as the original's; it has a similar grapefruit top note with a little bit of pepper. Then, it became a little bit sweet and powdery in the middle. And in the base, a little bit of patchouli and a really nice vanilla note -- very similar to vanilla bean ice cream, which has a very subtle sweetness to it.

I splashed my sample of it on my chest and arm around 10 pm last night after taking a shower, and I could still smell it when I woke up 8 hours later. My gf kept telling me that I smelled really good in bed last night. So, most likely I'm going to end up buying a bottle of this soon.

I like it. I think it's best categorized as a "creamy wood" scent. Once the spice and sweets of the opening fade a bit, I find that it's really dominated by a surprisingly pleasant sweet sandalwoody type of note (not actually supposed to be sandalwood I don't think, but that's what it reminds me of).

I will continue to wear my sample and judge. I'm not exactly thrilled about Gentleman, but it's definitely a pleasant surprise, and it would be such a useful scent to own.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I've been revisiting a number of designer scents lately and gave this one a sample at the store yesterday - still love it and will probably pick up a bottle soon.

Does anyone know who the perfumer behind this is?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more