Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default Considering Amouage Epic: Any Opinions?

I am considering buying this, but wonder if people have any takes on it, vis-à-vis longevity, sillage, balance, composition, etc.

Any opinions will be gratefully received and considered. Thanks!

Amouage
    Epic Man
    (2009)
    Woody Oriental
    Randa Hammami
    ------------------
    Top Notes: Pink Peppercorns, Frankincense, Cumin, Cardamom, Saffron, Mace, Nutmeg, Myrtle
    Middle Notes: Geranium, Myrrh
    Base Notes: Oud, Sandalwood, Patchouli, Cedar, Leather, Frankincense, Musk, Castoreum
    ------------------
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Default Re: Considering Amouage Epic: Any Opinions?

Lasts for an eternity, goes rather bitter in the dry-down. But what a glorious journey down the Silk Road.

I got a sample a while ago and have given it two full wearings and sampling twice or three times. First of all, I have to say that I have an issue with all Amouage frags I have so far tried. They have medium longevity on me (Epic was a bit above medium) and seem to fall apart in their drydown after a certain stage. I find Epic smells not unique enough or call it "good" enough to justify its price for me. I'd personally prefer Noir Epices or Ambre Russe for my "spicy days"

I've never tried it, but the notes sound very intriguing indeed. I'll have to add it to my increasingly large Amouage try-out list.
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 15th May 2010 at 07:44 AM.

I tested this in the store a few times. In fact, I just went to the mall this week and sampled it again – quite unexpectedly. I was looking for Ubar when I turned around and the SA suddenly dowsed me in 3-4 sprays of the stuff. (!)

Longevity was excellent.

I easily detected Epic on my skin after 10 hours. On my shirt it lasted 24 hours+. It projected quite well during the first couple of hours and then gradually grew closer to my skin.

Opening = pepper/animalic frankincense; Middle = pepper/spicy frankincense; Drydown = pepper/woods.

The woods in the dry-down were just OK. But I loved the animalic element in the opening, and I would have bought Epic at some point based on that. However, the problem for me was the pepper. It literally tingled in my nose and it would not go away.

I wanted to love the whole ride but couldn't. In the end I fell in love with - and bought - Epic Woman.
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

I'm not sure of you've tried it but it's defintely powerful stuff. One squirt is more than enough for me. The first time I tested it naively put about 3 or 4 sprays which caused olfactory fatigue almost instantly. Once I got the application right i was able to smell it well into the 12 + hour range. There is loads and loads of frankencense with even more peppers / mace and if I remember correctly some harsh dry spicy leather. The castoreum is noticeable but didn't send me running to scrub it off. I felt the oud blended well with the other notes particualy the frankencense and castoreum.

Its complex and brutal and a bit seductive all at the same time but overall I found it too aggressive. There is nothing subtle or nuanced about it. So combine that with the fact that I where I live it's usually 90+degrees with 80% humidity and it didn't take long for me to keep a wee bit and sell the bottle to finance something I'd be able to wear more often. I really loved the bottle though and I was sad to see it go.
    Last edited by Futami; 15th May 2010 at 05:08 PM.

I wonder if it's an Iso-E-Super-heavy fragrance. Black pepper tends to be a fleeting note, but there's a distinctive fuzzy-peppery feel I get from heavily Iso E focused fragrances. ( Not bad or good per se, as long as there's enough distractions from other notes. )

Tried it several times but in the end found it a bit too . . . is astringent the word I'm looking for? Can't quite put my finger on it. Nothing wrong with it, just a bit relentless for me. I bought the Epic Woman which I personally find to have a similar slightly medicinal (in a Chinese herbal tonic kinda way) uplifting and 'fortifying' quality . . . both very good IMO, just a matter of taste I guess, Both do a good job of evoking the Silk Road or north-western Chinese 'state of mind' for me, that the marketing concept seems to be designed around.

PS To try and be specific - I would not attempt to dissuade anyone from Epic Man and I think it performs well in all the areas mentioned except for me I find the composition a bit of a 'one-liner', and while I would be happy to own it I doubt I would reach for it very often, whereas the Woman version seems to tell more of a story.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 15th May 2010 at 08:23 PM.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

If you like Bel Ami, you will LOVE Epic Man. Kevin Guyer has described the Epic wear-experience quite well.

Epic Man is my next Amouage, but i got generous samples when i bought Gold Men.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Epic Man is my favorite Amouage of those I have tried (Gold Man, Dia Man, Reflection Man, Lyric Man, Jubilation XXV, Tribute, and Ubar) and is the only one I have considered buying a bottle of. Sample!
    Last edited by Furriner; 16th May 2010 at 03:36 AM.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

I currently have Epic Man, XXV, Dia Man, Reflection Man, and Ubar. And Epic is easily my favourite in the wardrobe - even better than the esteemed Jean Patou PH (another spicy oriental genre, but completely different aroma than the Epic). It is also the only one that I have a backup bottle of from the Amouage house.
    The opening reminds me of Clive Christian 'X' because of the Pink Pepper and Nutmeg, which I can smell all the way to the drydown - a satisfying and comforting aroma. The mid notes are non-existant, at least to my nose. The drydown is dominant of Leather, Frankincense, and Oud. The Oud, however, is subtle and I think, this is what gives it an 'exotic' eastern vibe. I don't think there is any Iso-e-super in this fragrance - unlike the XXV.
    Its longetivity is great - I had sprayed about 5-6 times on the inner part of the collar of my jacket a couple weeks back, and it still smells tenacious. On the skin it easily lasts 10+ hours.
    I highly recommend it.

Epic Man has a great sillage and longevity on skin. A little goes all day and the scent impregnates objects - i dabbed this one on me with my hands and then put gloves, since the day i tried it was very cold. My gloves still has the smell of this one. To me, this scent has two different impressions. From distance, this one has a simple aura where the leather aroma predominates and blends well with the aoud scent. The leather in this one is between a animalic rustic leather aroma and a creamy suede one. Sometimes the animalic rustic leather aroma predominates on me, but i detect a creamy soft suede leather aroma blended with this one. The agarwood on Epic seems to go on a woody direction with animalic undertones, a raw, woody aoud with just a pinch of the medicinal, stick aoud aroma. At close, you can detect that this Leather-aoud fabric is elaborated with small details, that contributes to the dry, slightly sweet aspect of this one. The spices here are dry and blended, to my nose neither of the spices listed on the pyramid stand out, you only detect the dry, spicy aroma of them giving support to the leather. It's the first thing you detect on Epic, the dry spicy aura, not as dry as the 80 powerhouse spicy accords, but something that seems to pay a homage to them in a modern way. The geranium and patchouli contribute with a green and dry aura too, but what really predominate on this one is the leather and the agarwood. This is a sophisticated man scent, that don't raise it's voice but have interesting things to say if you pay attention on it. I still have plans to have a bottle of it, it's a winner to me

I have Epic Man and I like it very much - I recommend it. It is a complex incense/leather fragrance similar in tone to Jubilation XXV - but it is much bolder. Apart from the incensey opening included in the notes listed for it are myrrh, oud, patchouli and leather and I think it is the mix of these bold elements that gives its strength in the base. Epic Man was the winner for me versus two other scents in my wardrobe that it is similar to: Black Afgano (Nasomatto) and Tribute (also by Amouge). I had all three but decided to sell these last two because Epic Man plays a similar role and after frequent wearing I found I always preferred Epic Man over Black Afgano and Tribute both. It also bears similarities to Wazamba in my opinion. If you like these kinds of masculine orientals then you will like Epic Man. It is a better cold weather fragrance and I live in hot weather so I don't wear it this time of year. But still it is a favorite.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 15th May 2010 at 05:43 PM.

I find Epic Man exquisite, but there does seem to be a wide range of opinions on this scent. I've heard it called "watered down" and "short-lived", but I think this is because it causes anosmia in many wearers. The comment above about it lingering on fabric is very accurate... the smokey frankincense/patchouli/leather base lingered on the sleeve of one of my hoodies for weeks after i put a couple sprays on my arm to test. The only other fragrance I've encountered with this kind of longevity is Montale's Black Aoud.

I think that the feminine version is very interesting too - and very shareable. The femine version also has a spicy opening - but on me the spices in the feminine fragrance produce a dark and roasted aroma that makes me think of strong coffee being prepared. When the coffee spiciness start to develop on my skin, i detect an oud aura similar to M7, but more animalic I think. Then, on the basenotes this one goes again in another direction, and i start to detect a smoky metallic incense, with a similar vibe to the great metallic incense Nu edp, but without flower edges and more focused on the incense than on the metallic side. I found the female version lighter than the male one on me. It has a great longevity, but a moderate sillage on me.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Thank you all very much for your excellent reviews! It sounds like a go to me, but I will test the Epic Femme before I buy, just to see if I like it better than the Epic Homme.

What a great crew of noses on Basenotes!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    Thank you all very much for your excellent reviews! It sounds like a go to me, but I will test the Epic Femme before I buy, just to see if I like it better than the Epic Homme.

What a great crew of noses on Basenotes!
    JaimeB, I have an impression that you'll like both They're great

JaimeB, let us know your thoughts when you compare between the Epic Man and the Epic Woman.
    Vivant, Reasonable and Rickbr did a good comparision between the two, but wanted to know your thoughts as well. It might be a good gift for the wife.

I purchased Epic Man Recently and personally, I do not like leather fragrances, but enjoyed this one due to the animalic spicy frankincense portion of the fragrance
    even the leather note is really special.
    I really want to try the women Epic and see how it compares as I have heard some awesome comments about it!
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

A very good thread for me right now I'm planning to buy Jubilation XXV and Epic. I'm wondering what to buy first. Cause both share some similar notes, like Buzzlepuff mentioned. While Jubilation drydown is dry, full of incense and ripen fruits, Epic is smooth and sweet and a little milky. Jubilation is too loud, while Epic is quite enjoyable.

Try before you buy, of course. But in this case, buy before you try, cause Epic is epic.

Although it is quite expensive they Amouage do do the pack of mini bottles which seems like a good investment before buying full bottles

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    Although it is quite expensive they Amouage do do the pack of mini bottles which seems like a good investment before buying full bottles
    Is Epic included in that now? I kinda wish they had a pick-n-choose pack of 3 30ml minis for expensive brands like this.
    Last edited by the_tourist; 16th May 2010 at 08:33 PM.

Eau de Parfum for men 7.5ml-Lyric, Jubilation XXV, Reflection, Gold, Dia & Silver for 180 euro

http://www.amouage.com/boutique/products/?ID=205

I recommend it. If you like scents like Ysl M7, Chanel Antaeus, Hermes Bel Ami, and Gucci Pour homme, you will love it! It`s worth the money. You get what you pay for! My top favourites from the line are Dia, Epic, and Jubilation xxv.
    Last edited by Oslo-Fjord; 26th July 2010 at 08:26 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chocolateguy View Post
    ... Epic is epic.
    Word!

I need to smell the women's version, but I can tell you that the men's is great. Although it has very nice total longevity for me, the heart doesn't have a projecting phase that lasts as long on my skin as I would like, and I have to go with clothing if I want any real sillage more than a couple of hours later. This will likely by my first Amouage, unless the women's is better.

Basenotes Institution

Like the woman's better. It has a sort of tea tree accord in the top notes, that's addictive the way that it blends with the florals. I found the masculine sort of boring, actually. Tried it twice, both times I felt a bit underwhelmed.

Basenotes Institution

OK - so I am doing a complete 180 on what I wrote above, since tonight I did my first full wearing (3 sprays to the chest from a plastic sample atomizer) of Epic Man and I really now see what all of the fuss is about.

Futami said it best, this one is seriously strong, so strong that I am now very sure that I experienced nose fatigue the first times I smelled this. Today, when I dabbed the plastic vial on my arm, it was scented for hours and hours before I sprayed it on my chest. Amazingly strong! The way that Amouage blends incense is quite skillful and while I definitely get a resinous, radiant woody vibe from this (sort of like a gussied up, luxurious Gucci Pour Homme), it doesn't stop there but continues on utilizing the leather, oud, woods and dry spices until it's gets all Duchaufourade, or a bit sour/tart. It sort of pulsates on my skin, all of the different elements combining together beautifully (if a bit loudly).

I think I'll postpone using the rest of my sample until Fall/Winter. This would smell fantastic rising up, from inside a jacket or scarf.

Blog Entries

^Yeah! Fall scent, definitely! What a great scent. I tend to think of it as suitable for Alobar, the hero in Jitterbug Perfume.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    OK - so I am doing a complete 180 on what I wrote above, since tonight I did my first full wearing (3 sprays to the chest from a plastic sample atomizer) of Epic Man and I really now see what all of the fuss is about.

Futami said it best, this one is seriously strong, so strong that I am now very sure that I experienced nose fatigue the first times I smelled this. Today, when I dabbed the plastic vial on my arm, it was scented for hours and hours before I sprayed it on my chest. Amazingly strong! The way that Amouage blends incense is quite skillful and while I definitely get a resinous, radiant woody vibe from this (sort of like a gussied up, luxurious Gucci Pour Homme), it doesn't stop there but continues on utilizing the leather, oud, woods and dry spices until it's gets all Duchaufourade, or a bit sour/tart. It sort of pulsates on my skin, all of the different elements combining together beautifully (if a bit loudly).

I think I'll postpone using the rest of my sample until Fall/Winter. This would smell fantastic rising up, from inside a jacket or scarf.
    Agreed. You have to give it a full wearing from a atomizer to get the best benefit out of this masterpiece. I would say that 3 spayes is to much. 2 sprays 30cm from the skin is perfect. 1 under the shirt, and one on the neck will last all day long. A 100ml bottle will last forever! This is one of my latest purchase that I`m most stisfied with!

I love the scent but don't love the strength. I'd prefer it if it was about 50% weaker, actually.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more