Code of Conduct

Default Buying backups, how often & how many?

I'm very interested to hear any stories about this. I'm going to clear out a cabinet shortly, and I know there are a couple backup bottles in there of fragrances I'm tired of. Thankfully those were inexpensive so will be donated to charity. Awhile back I bought a backup bottle each of 2 others, and I'm glad I did because they're discontinued. I'm now using both of the backup bottles.

It can be terribly tempting to get a backup of something you really, really like. Because mine weren't expensive, I'm just going to donate them. I've tried the eBay route with clothes, and I'm still swimming in my 'stock'. Postage in Canada is horrendously expensive, so it's a poor option.

So please tell, tell. Do you feel good or bad about buying backups, or is it a problem for you?
    Last edited by whitelace; 16th May 2010 at 09:45 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Buying backups, how often & how many?

Hah ! Back ups are the story of my fragrant life Whitelace ! 2-3 back ups for each perfume I love !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Hah ! Back ups are the story of my fragrant life Whitelace ! 2-3 back ups for each perfume I love !
    Oh, wish I could do this with my loved scents. But I love so much scents, so I unfortunately cannot do this The recent backup bottle i bought was Chypre Rouge, when I discovered it was being discontinued. I just got in panic and bought one from ebay before it got hard to find and expensive. If frags weren't discontinued or sadly reformulated, I'd never need to back up my faves. But the reality is cruel and you cannot trust in the industry anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Oh, wish I could do this with my loved scents. But I love so much scents, so I unfortunately cannot do this The recent backup bottle i bought was Chypre Rouge, when I discovered it was being discontinued. I just got in panic and bought one from ebay before it got hard to find and expensive. If frags weren't discontinued or sadly reformulated, I'd never need to back up my faves. But the reality is cruel and you cannot trust in the industry anymore

Blog Entries

I only get backups of discontinued/limited edition scents I especially love.

Basenotes Institution

If I love a perfume, I panic if I don't have a back up - it's really a curse. I'm not proud of it.

I can relate to this thread for sure. I have been pondering this alot. Like others have said ( here and in other threads), if something you really like is discontinued, you should get a back up. Some fragrances that are very much available and not even discontinued, however, I have backups of. That is more of a product of the Basenotes marketplace. If I am trying to rid a bottle I will not wear, I would take something I would wear ( even if I already have a bottle). This is risky though, because a person can get "turned off" on a scent in time.

Also, if I find a really good deal on a bottle, I may go for 2 bottles. Especially since I live in an area where fragrances are not really cheap ( compared to alot of other cities).
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

I traded for a back-up of LArte di Gucci, my first back-up. It's discontinued... and I've been sharing a lot of it lately, so much so my 100ml is now closer to 50ml!

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    I can relate to this thread for sure. I have been pondering this alot. Like others have said ( here and in other threads), if something you really like is discontinued, you should get a back up. Some fragrances that are very much available and not even discontinued, however, I have backups of. That is more of a product of the Basenotes marketplace. If I am trying to rid a bottle I will not wear, I would take something I would wear ( even if I already have a bottle). This is risky though, because a person can get "turned off" on a scent in time.

Also, if I find a really good deal on a bottle, I may go for 2 bottles. Especially since I live in an area where fragrances are not really cheap ( compared to alot of other cities).
    I had a look at my collection this morning. There are 4 that are my absolute favorites, and I'm considering buying a backup of each. As far as I know, none are at risk of being discontinued though. It's funny because as I was thinking of those 4, I was feeling uneasy that I may run out. I notice that I tend to 'save' them (for what?) instead of enjoy them more. How odd, if I do say so myself. It's about as logical as sewing really fast before the thread in the machine runs out.

The 2 fragrances that I mentioned upthread are now discontinued. I bought a backup for each of those awhile back, and I'm really glad I did. Thankfully I'm not tired of those fragrances at this point.

Backup bottle-buying extravaganza (1 each of 4):
    Cons: Can't think of any.
    Pros: I can spray my favorites with abandon!

I came across excellent pricing for testers of these 4, and that doesn't matter to me because I can switch caps from the finished bottle. And yes, 2 of these are about halfway done, but I'd sure hate it if I came to be tired of them. I guess the worst that could happen is someone getting an even better deal on them at a flea market after I've conked off.

I wanted to hear other opinions, as I didn't want to feel like I was being extravagant or whatever. Seriously, I was concerned that this might unleash a monster. What to do, what to do...
    Last edited by whitelace; 16th May 2010 at 10:54 PM.

When MPG was looking like it was folding I freaked out... I hadn't even smelled the line but I'd heard so much praise I had to investigate. I was a recent college graduate, unable to find a job and living with my sister in NYC. I did soooooooo much investigation on MPG, what stores still had stock, what sizes they had, and on and on. I Learned about the reformulations from the 90ml bottle to the 100ml bottle and resigned myself to buy everything I could find. I stumbled upon a store which will remain nameless because I may stockup even more (its selfish I know), and found the 90ml vintage bottles and smoozed the manager to giving me a 50% discount on it, not to mention they gave me the testers! This was a point of no return! How could a even hope to contain the uncontrollable urge to stock up, On fragrances I had hardly even smelled! In the end I ended up with 20 bottles of MPG! Fortunately the discounted price ensures that I wont lose any money when I eventually sell off the ones I will never use, so I have justified my own personal insanity in my behavior. Now if only I could get a job....

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by whitelace View Post
    I had a look at my collection this morning. There are 4 that are my absolute favorites, and I'm considering buying a backup of each. As far as I know, none are at risk of being discontinued though. It's funny because as I was thinking of those 4, I was feeling uneasy that I may run out. I notice that I tend to 'save' them (for what?) instead of enjoy them more. How odd, if I do say so myself. It's about as logical as sewing really fast before the thread in the machine runs out.

The 2 fragrances that I mentioned upthread are now discontinued. I bought a backup for each of those awhile back, and I'm really glad I did. Thankfully I'm not tired of those fragrances at this point.

Backup bottle-buying extravaganza (1 each of 4):
    Cons: Can't think of any.
    Pros: I can spray my favorites with abandon!

I came across excellent pricing for testers of these 4, and that doesn't matter to me because I can switch caps from the finished bottle. And yes, 2 of these are about halfway done, but I'd sure hate it if I came to be tired of them. I guess the worst that could happen is someone getting an even better deal on them at a flea market after I've conked off.

I wanted to hear other opinions, as I didn't want to feel like I was being extravagant or whatever. What to do, what to do...
    From the back up addict.... well, you can never have enough of your faves and who really knows when something will or won't be discontinued, re formulated . You just don't know.

If you found a deal ,then go for it.

The perfumes I back up are ones I know I will always use ..........till I am decrepit and without teeth. It's expensive to do so but I always have a supply. ( Such a back up freak.... )
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 16th May 2010 at 10:27 PM.

I only buy backups when I truly adore a scent, and then worry about their disappearance.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Same here. I buy back up of the ones that are discontinued or are limited edition and I really like. Also, one for my Pour Un Homme de Caron since it's low and I kinda got nervous : 0 hehe

Well, in all seriousness, I will start talking about this in the proper way:

Hello everybody, I am a (non-recovering, incurable) fragrance addict, also in terms of buying backup bottles, while my record lies currently at a total of 4 Ungaro III backup bottles stocked up and does this stop me? No, I am already considering buying huge quantities of Armani PH, Knize Ten, Rive Gauche PH backup bottles, as well as backup bottles of frags to numerous to be listed here, because I just love to sense them on me and I live both with the acknowledged, outed and the unconscious fear that they might be discontinued.

Thank you for your time and patience!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Well, in all seriousness, I will start talking about this in the proper way:

Hello everybody, I am a (non-recovering, incurable) fragrance addict, also in terms of buying backup bottles, while my record lies currently at a total of 4 Ungaro III backup bottles stocked up and does this stop me? No, I am already considering buying huge quantities of Armani PH, Knize Ten, Rive Gauche PH backup bottles, as well as backup bottles of frags to numerous to be listed here, because I just love to sense them on me and I live both with the acknowledged, outed and the unconscious fear that they might be discontinued.

Thank you for your time and patience!
    Ken, I have only backups of what I truly adore, but I can afford only one bottle per favourite, as I am limited by finances. Many of us here are incurable...
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Blog Entries

I came across this by Khalil Gibran (from "On Giving"). I offer it for our consideration:

For what are your possessions but things you keep and guard for fear you may need them tomorrow?
    And what is fear of need but need itself?
    Is not dread of thirst when your well is full, the thirst that is unquenchable?
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 20th June 2010 at 11:56 AM. Reason: spelling

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    I came across this by Khalil Gibran (from "On Giving"). I offer it for our consideration:

For what are your possessions but things you keep and guard for fear you may need them tomorrow?
    And what is fear of need but need itself?
    Is not dread of thirst when your well is full, the thirst that is unquenchable?
    You are 'spot on' accurate, with this quotation 30 Roses. I 'need' to look at this quote more often or perhaps tape it to my fridge or to my Visa card or to my head.

It makes sense to me that if I am running low on a scent I like to get a back up.Then the new can be checked against the old to assure that no reformulation /damage has occured. It's just like stocking a pantry or fridge ...Hmm low on Milk, cold cereal,lunch meat,biscuit mix,...time to buy more.It is the same .And just as if you ran across a great sale on cold cereal you might stock up more the same holds true with scent purchasing .FIND A GREAT DEAL AND STOCK UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I only buy back-up bottles of discontinued scents. So far I own two bottles of Nu EDP and three of Kingdom. I don't think I need more of them. I am constantly finding new fragrance loves and my wardrobe is continuously expanding. I'd rather spend my money on a bottle of something new than on a back-up (provided it's still in production of course).

I used to swap for back-up bottles of scents I liked but I have stopped doing it since it seems an impossible task to get to the bottom of even one bottle of perfume. If I am wearing all of my scents with the same frequency, I can use up around 10 ml from each bottle in a year. And I haven't even counted with the days when I am only testing samples or using my numerous decants...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bonsai View Post
    If I am wearing all of my scents with the same frequency...
    That is the reason I buy backups of some. Fact is, I don't wear them with the same frequency-- I definitely like, and wear, some perfumes more often than others.

Also, they are not all equally strong-- with some, I use only one spritz or dab and still find it lasts all day, while others require 3- 4 sprays.

Plus, some are 50 ml bottles, others are 100 ml.

So they definitely get used up at different rates.

Is it bad to buy a back up full bottle just because you found it cheaper than usual?

No-it is the smart thing to do.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Postumo View Post
    Is it bad to buy a back up full bottle just because you found it cheaper than usual?
    Sometimes bottles are cheap because they are old stock/sold by discounters who aren't necessarily reliable. Be sure your source is good.

Then I'd say go for it if you can buy it without using money that is earmarked for necessary things (food, housing, utilities etc.) and if you can store in a dark, cool place where it won't deteriorate while you use up your current bottle.

I'd justify buying a back up bottle if:

1. If it's in my top 3 perfumes.
    2. If it's from a small niche house and discontinuing is likely
    3. If it's a limited edition or something confirmed to be discontinued

Of course I have to LOVE the fragrance and know it won't be abundant after discontinuing. Body Kouros is quite easy to find for cheap as an example, no need to stock it up.

And Bigsugarman you should find it in your heart to share the name of that store with one humble basenoter, MPG is my favorite house, their vintage formulations at least I actually have came by a few stores that carry them even at discounted price, but they only happened to carry a few of the line, I bought every Ambre Precieux I've found but that's the only favorite I managed to find.

I only have backups of stuff that's discontinued and that I love. I cleared out Fred Meyer, Marshall's and Big Lots! of all the RL Chaps once I found it had been reformulated (properly stored, I have enough to last me a lifetime). I also have a big bottle of the original Perry Ellis stored away in a dark, cool place. That's about it for me.
    Discount and drug store fragrance trollop. http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=74

Dependent

I think the most back-ups I ever had at one point was 7 back-up bottles (50mls each) of Yohji Homme. When I trimmed my wardrobe, I sold most of them (I had no problems finding buyers willing to pay more than what had I paid for them). In hind-sight I'm quite regretful about it now. I should have kept at least 3 of them. I'm not sure if I will be lucky enough to chance upon any more. I'm down to my last 10mls. So I'm just saving it for reference purposes.

The only other stuff I back up are like limited quantity releases, like the MKK and Borneo, one each, and some vintage/discontinued juices ie. Punjab, Montana (red box).

There are too many fragrances waiting to be explored, I don't want to be held back financially by acquiring too many back-ups. I'll make sure I save enough juice of a hard-to-come-by bottle for reference and occasional use. Otherwise, there is an ocean of new ones to explore and fall in love with!

If you love it and can afford it then back it up.

It's clear to me that the combination of IFRA and other 'do gooder' bodies (I'm being sarcastic) removing key ingredients + increasing financial pressure to bring manufacturing costs down and even the 'inspired' tinkering with formulas to make them 'cleaner' and 'fresher' and more 'mass market friendly' along with other factors are all conspiring to dumb down this industry.

There are, of course, perfectly legitimate factors that come into play with 'batch differences' from some of the more up-market houses reliant on specific natural ingredients. They are always at the mercy of mother nature - hurricanes and so on can play havoc with orchards or plantations. And let's not forget what happened with Mysore Sandalwood.

In the space of just a few years I have been lucky picking up bottles of stuff that have since been hobbled by IFRA or discontinued for one reason or another. I can go with the argument that everything passes and so on but for a 100 bucks or so if you really love it then why not? It may be different next time you decide to pick one up - or not there at all. I have a dozen or so back-ups - I tend to watch for IFRA targets first and foremost.

I buy a back-up of something 'new' when I really, really like it. That isn't too often. I bought a few extra bottles of Nicole Miller for Men and also B*Men. I got them because I liked them, but from what I have read below some other folks have done well by selling their extras. Good for them!

Now, I will also admit that when I come across tempting 'vintage' items I will often buy, and buy, and buy again. The reason is that my usual avenues for purchase are at thrift stores & antique stores where stuff is often very cheap... and if I see yet another bottle of Chantilly edp from 1965 with box, etc. for $10 or so, I will say to mayself "so what, spend the money and have another".

But, as you might guess (or maybe not) I don't even wear Chantilly! If my 'needs' were based on actual use, one bottle might last me 500 years of occasional sniffing.

My dilemma (probably not unusual) is that I feel that the older versions of Chantilly are the most beautfiul fragance ever. To me, a little sniff is like catnip. I just picked up three small bottles and they cost almost nothing. I spent a total of $6. Is this sick? Please tell me.

Never feel bad about a back up. I had access to loads of my favourite perfume as a teenager, and never even thought about backing up. Why, when there was plenty? Oh, how I regret that now as I shell out buckets for a single ml of the same scent. I've had many years to fall in love with many more smells, and I did, but I still desire the one I cannot have easily anymore. I thought it was only the deprivation causing the desire, but no, I got hold of some recently and I am in heaven. I'm still in love with it.

If you are in love, will you be that fickle not to still love in many years. Do you go off your other half that easily? Of course not.... so back up now and stay guilt free. It's like insurance for your inner beauty.

I have a 50ml of By Man I'm currently using, and 2 100ml bottles of By Man as backups. I have one back up of Pure Malt as well.

I was torn with By Man because there were 2 other fragrances I'd planned on buying, but I figure they will still be available next winter. With By Man, there's only so much time before they're all bought up, and then either used or resold at astronomical prices.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking