Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How do you display/store your fragrances? And what about those samples?

I don't mean to ask about the correct way to store fragrances, but rather I'm wondering if anyone displays them, has a special nook or cabinet, or...? Do you rotate them quite regularly?

I've got 2 display areas on dressers, and depending on my mood of course, I try to rotate the use of my stash. That way it's easy to see what I have, as I tend to forget/lose things! If I get tired of a fragrance and I'm pretty sure I won't want to use it anymore, I either pass it along to someone who wants it, or it goes to charity. Mine aren't really expensive or anything, and I often pass on a bottle with a third or a quarter left if I've tired of it. I figure I've certainly had enough use from it. That doesn't mean that I don't want to add to my 'collection'. I definitely want to add a few more!

Last night I rounded up all my samples in a decorative tin to end hunting for them, also to be sure I actually test them. I hope to keep track of them now, as recently I found a few strays I didn't know that I had. Anyone else have that happen?
    Last edited by whitelace; 15th May 2010 at 02:23 PM. Reason: not enough coffee yet

Default Re: How do you display/store your fragrances? A what about those samples?

I have two closets to keep my fragrances out of the light, but leave my current favorites on the dresser. I carelessly leave my samples in handbags and in drawers all over the house. Can rarely find them when I want to.

Default Re: How do you display/store your fragrances? And what about those samples?

We store samples in ammunition boxes like this, or in small metal boxes for bringing with us.

All our fragrances are stored in a IKEA bestŚ bookshelf with doors in our "living room". They are boxless so we have full overview when we open the doors.
    Last edited by Nausicaš; 15th May 2010 at 02:43 PM.
    parfyme.moo.no - et norsk parfymeforum
    Blog

Default Re: How do you display/store your fragrances? And what about those samples?

I also stash my samples in decorative tins. How I wish I could bottle the resulting scent!
    Last edited by graustarker; 15th May 2010 at 02:42 PM.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I have all my frags standing on display in an antique'ish shelf-thingie.
    I love looking at all my babies, but when summer finally set in, I do
    plan on storing them in one of my kitchen cabinets, which is like an
    old school refrigiator; always cool, a constant 10 degrees celcius..!

All my samples and decants I have in a Mugler bag which came with
    my Ice*men EdT and showergel box set!

Post Thanks / Like

I just leave them lying around, but in their boxes. My bedroom is a complete mess -it's like a bomb went off at a perfume factory. I like to leave a bottle of Jicky parfum unboxed beside my bed -the smell wafting from the bottle is glorious, although I know I'll regret this if the bottle goes bad.

I don't like central heating, and it never gets hot where I live, so my bedroom is a good place to store perfumes.
    Last edited by sean-dt; 15th May 2010 at 09:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have four refrigerators that I keep at approximately 53 degrees F. in which I store my fragrances. I keep a computer inventory which features, for each fragrance a trigger quantity at which, when reached, I reorder. This analytical approach works well for me.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 15th May 2010 at 09:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never had a frag go bad, and I have several bottles from the early '80s that sat on dressers in un-air-conditioned apartments for years, spent a few months in a storage unit (in summer!), etc. So I don't worry too much about proper storage.

My frags sit on the dresser, and the samples in heavy rotation are in a little milk-glass swan that used to belong to my grandma. The ones I didn't really like, plus the ones in labeled plastic bags, are in a closed silk-covered Indian box. I'm rapidly running out of both dresser and swan room, and will have to find an overflow solution!

Post Thanks / Like

I keep my perfumes in my air conditioned walk in closet, where I had a wall of shelves built in for that purpose. I store in the boxes, and keep minis on pretty perfume trays there and samples in small organizer trays.

Reine

Hillaire

I store most boxed in a large low boy dresser. Samples and decants in an alphabetized-by-house drawer caddy thing in my dressing room. Carded samples that don;t fit in the caddy go alphabetically in a rustic Chinese chest with many drawers, which was once an herbalists cabinet. (Minis are in there, too.)

One dresser top in the dressing room is opaque-crowded with rotating faves. And 'ultimate' faves (whatever I am digging on most) get showed off on rotation in a wall-mounted Chinoiserie, mirrored statuette shelf, which hangs in full light near my desk area.

I keep my fragrances in a (soon to be nothing but fragrance) linen closet that is dark and cool and dry.

It looks like a fragrance version of an unmade bed!
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

Alphabetized by house (you also seem to have an inner librarian, Hillaire ), the FBs and minis are in their boxes on shelves in my dressing room, while the samples and decants are in a huge old jewelry chest. Three or four current faves and those my husband has snatched (lol) are in their boxes on a shelf in the bathroom, and I always keep a bottle of vintage Mitsouko next to my bed. BUT...

I am soon to get a Tibetan chest, where I plan to put it ALL.

Well, maybe not the ones DH and I "share"...
    I am operating within established parameters. How are you?

Post Thanks / Like

In cardboard boxes however they fit in there best. I keep them in there tight so they don't fall over and I can find them easily. They're mostly all in their original boxes.

I always have a few out that I'm wearing with any consistency. I was tired of any displays long ago (it's such a feminine gesture). My gf keeps most all of her's out in different places. For me it's almost all about the juice, but I do like looking at some of the bottles - usually the ones that contain fragrances I like enough to be wearing much.

I have boxes full of decants and samples. I just do my best to not break them. I rummage through them when I want to find one. If I can't find it then I dump the box out onto the bed.
    Last edited by pluran; 23rd May 2010 at 12:01 PM.

Is there a collection photo thread here in the ladies section ? I love seeing pictures of peoples collections .... come on gals get snapping
    Last edited by Pour_Monsieur; 23rd May 2010 at 01:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I love this thread. I keep my samples in a collection of wooden cigar boxes strewn around various bookshelves in my bedroom and study. The bottles, ranging from mini to large, are kept in my new cabinet. I made it out of a 1950s television cabinet. I posted a link to photos on the "Just Starting Out" forum. Here is a link to the photo album: http://tinyurl.com/24k77cs

The link to my post on JSO: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/251...erfume-Cabinet

I posted this "hot mess" on the men's... one of these days when I have properly-functioning arms (long story) I'll redo that cabinet, paint the inside a dark color and install low heat LEDs, and pull up the silly contact paper that makes it look like a blast from the 70's, and move my linens elsewhere, and organize the boxes and bottles more logically. They're where I can reach them or where they ended up at the moment. The samples & minis are at the far left and right sides. The three boxes are coffrets of Guerlain Vetiver EDP and all over shampoo, which I don't think I could live without! <exaggeration maybe>

Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: How do you display/store your fragrances? And what about those samples?

Quote Originally Posted by actiasluna View Post
    [snipped] The three boxes are coffrets of Guerlain Vetiver EDP and all over shampoo, which I don't think I could live without! <exaggeration maybe>
    Vetiver comes in EdP?!

DeepSilence

I don't have any worry about them. i don't store them. most of the time i just have 5-8 bottles. when i finished one of them, i will buy something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Emlynevermore View Post
    Vetiver comes in EdP?!
    Aha! You were paying attention, while my fingers most certainly weren't! No, it's edT... you know how close that T and P are on the keyboard. (well, they're on the same row, albeit different hands typing em. Sheepish me. Wishful thinking?)

Oh, and Hamid... THAT is restraint my friend!
    Last edited by actiasluna; 23rd May 2010 at 10:44 PM. Reason: More to 'splain. Heh

DeepSilence

I mean i don't have any worry for maintaining them from light, heat,... they will finish soon. And display! i forgot. I keep them near where i am usually. beside my pc!

Post Thanks / Like

Mine were in a real mess, in boxes all over the place, and I finally bought a cabinet in which to store them. I found a Heywood-Wakefield "server" at an astounding sale price at an antique store. It has two generous cabinet spaces on either end, and drawers in the middle. I store bottles in it, decants in a smaller dressertop cabinet, and samples I haven't tried yet in a cigar box on my nightstand. Opaque bottles go on top of the cabinet, on a silver tray which I need to polish about now. I use the rest of that space for a collection of pretty objects I've found over the years, and a vase of (silk) cherry blossoms. I'd use real flowers but my cats try to eat them, with predictable results.

I wish I could display the bottles -- some are so beautiful. But my older fragrances, from a time before I knew about light ruining perfume, have that "old" smell, except those that were in opaque or dark bottles.
    Olfacta
    also at http://olfactarama.blogspot.com
    Musings and random thoughts about the genie in the bottle

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting the various solutions...

My bottles are stored in my walk in closet which has shelves on either side of a vanity. I place them according to pleasing visual aesthetics, rather than by season or other logical system. The room is air conditioned and has just dim light from one small window. (But I'm going to put a curtain or shade over the shelves so they get NO light most of the time.)

But I was so annoyed with my spray samples falling over -- and didn't want to lay them down flat lest they leak -- so I made several custom boxes for them, (I cut an existing box lid in half, then covered with decorative paper). What makes these work is a cardboard insert in the bottom: I scored then folded into a zig zag (zig, short, for foot of vial to rest on; zag, long, for sides to rest on) so the bottles incline. Then I store these on the shallow shelves in my closet. I'm so happy with this solution that I'm going to remake these, with nicer paper/craftsmanship, and with the box sides built taller, so I can stack them if desired. And maybe make some scaled for the 1ml samples as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, CRose - I love those! I have yet to come up with a satisfactory way to store my samples, and your little box displays really appeal to the persnickety obsessive compulsive in me. I love that you can see what they are at a glance, and that you can organize them by size and category. Good job!

C Rose that's such a great idea! And made with low cost materials most people have lying around anyway. It looks lovely, and makes it so easy to find what you're looking for.

Samples we don't have ammo-box space for, we store in small zip lock bags, sorted after house.
    parfyme.moo.no - et norsk parfymeforum
    Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Fabulous idea, C Rose! Even I, who will usually run away screaming from any crafts, might be motivated & able to make those.

Would love to see more pics from everyone!
    Last edited by whitelace; 26th May 2010 at 06:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Nausicaš;1835341]We store samples in ammunition boxes like this, or in small metal boxes for bringing with us.

Thanks for the photo. These boxes fit pretty well. I have also been looking for "vial storage boxes" on amazon.com, but not sure they fit perfectly. I'm also thinking of drilling holes into wood and seeing how that turns out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I can't seem to add the image, so here is the URL:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ferrycommuter/5548654415

This is how I am displaying about 20 sample vials. I'm looking for better displays.
    Last edited by Fred360; 22nd March 2011 at 03:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a black wooden box on my dresser (the red cardboard box from a Borghese cosmetics giveaway in the 1980s finally gave out) and inside are my few full bottles (unboxed) and samples, not exactly organized, but collected into little boxes with no tops - I used jewelry boxes, jewelry box lids, boxes from eye cream or night cream.

Really really like CRose's spray-bottle-sample-boxes, that is a very good solution for the spray samples.

The kids love when I bring the box down onto the bed, or one of the little boxes with samples, and let them smell and choose something to wear. And the smell of the box itself is wonderful when opened.

then there are a very few bottles still in boxes who sit in the top shelf of the closet, backups or things I'm not really wearing much but not wanting to part with yet.

I have a wooden box I keep on the top shelf of my wardrobe for the bottles, and a vanity case for the samples. However, we have just ordered a dressing table so I can fulfil a lifelong dream and cover it with my perfumes and makeup!

I keep all my perfumes in a cupboard in my bedroom, which is pretty cool, And as I travel so much I have most of them in purse sprayers, and I now tend to use those and leave the bottles where they are.

My samples are in a nice gift box, but after seeing C Rose's craft project I will have to make something like it. I think it's brilliant!
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

CRose - great idea with those boxes and very inventive. I might steal your idea and make one for myself

Post Thanks / Like

Bottles and sets in a Heywood-Wakefield cabinet I found at an antique store and got a great deal on (and collection is rapidly outgrowing) -- samples in cigar boxes, a gourd, nightstand drawers, other little boxes, my purse, my car, in old ashtrays -- wherever they land.
    Olfacta
    also at http://olfactarama.blogspot.com
    Musings and random thoughts about the genie in the bottle

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I display mine behind glass, in a cabinet. Back-ups are kept in their boxes, as well as a few precious vintage bottles with pretty cases, but I wear most of my fragrances, if infrequently in some cases, and I like being able to see them.

Samples are kept in a couple of bowls in the same cabinet, but I'll have to think of something better sooner or later.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I have bookcases to display my fragrances. For houses from which I have a lot of fragrances they'll get their own shelf. For the last few months I've been out of display space and most new purchases have unfortunately been piling up in their boxes, waiting for me to get another bookcase. I keep the room dark with black-out curtains and cool with a/c in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla
    I have four refrigerators that I keep at approximately 53 degrees F. in which I store my fragrances. I keep a computer inventory which features, for each fragrance a trigger quantity at which, when reached, I reorder. This analytical approach works well for me.
    ::slowly takes a few steps backwards::

Post Thanks / Like

Used to be a bookcase in a dark corner of the study, now the bottles are in dresser drawers where no one can see them.

Samples and minis are all in big crafty boxes by the computer, not really organized.

You guys should see how Quarry stores her samples "tied up" ("attached"?). C'mon Quarry, do it again! Pretty please?

Post Thanks / Like

I used a 16" 2x4, sanded it down and drilled holes with a 15/32" bit on a drill press. That fits the most common sample bottles used by Sephora, Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus. It gave me 64 holes (4 wide, 16 deep) to fill. I can make another board when this one fills up

check it out here
    __________________________________________________________________________________________
    I'm not obsessed, I'm passionately intrigued. The difference is how much money I have available to spend!

Quote Originally Posted by BriGuy View Post
    I used a 16" 2x4, sanded it down and drilled holes with a 15/32" bit on a drill press. That fits the most common sample bottles used by Sephora, Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus. It gave me 64 holes (4 wide, 16 deep) to fill. I can make another board when this one fills up

check it out here
    Looks great, BriGuy! It also brings back some bittersweet memories - my grandfather made me a stand almost exactly like yours for my birthday a looong time ago to store my thin test-tubes in. I do miss him...

Getting back on topic:
    I have four open shelves occupied by my perfumes.
    The upper shelf is full of my decants, organised in rows by scent type/mood.
    The shelf below contains all my niche bottles.
    On the next shelf my designer scents and classics are displayed.
    The lowest shelf is dedicated to storing my considerable sample stash in decorative boxes, organised in ziploc bags by house and the few scented candles I have.

I only keep my reserve bottles in their boxes in a dark cabinet. I know it's not the best for the fragrances, but I do love to look at my collection (I have a view at my bottles from my bed - isn't that just perfect? ). They do not get direct sunlight though and it never gets overly warm in the room.

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bonsai View Post
    I have a view at my bottles from my bed - isn't that just perfect?
    Now THAT's the way to start the day!
    (Perfection is underrated.)
    Monarch butterflies require milkweed to prevent extinction

Post Thanks / Like

DSC_0003.jpg

I store nearly all of my bottles in box & place them in a dark glass cabinet.
    (here almost one third of my wardrobe...)

- - - Updated - - -

DSC_0003.jpg

I store nearly all of my bottles in box & place them in a dark glass cabinet.
    (here almost one third of my wardrobe...)

Post Thanks / Like

Hardly any display in my case, unless the cabinets in which I store them have glass panes. Aside from that, storage conditions are pretty much identical to the ones for storing frags in other cabinets- cool, but not freezing temperatures, shade, good ventilation, all fragrances stored, if possible, in their original boxes etc.

As for the samples, since they are scarce and of no significant value, being 80-90% generic mainstream releases, they simply lie around the cabinets where I also keep my full bottles of fragrance, no other organizing, storage, conserving, archiving, coding, separating etc. of my sample vials being (yet) necessary for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I have an antique apprentice piece, which is a miniature chest of drawers, for keeping my samples - the drawers are alphabetised. I keep my vintage fragrances in the wine cooler and my other fragrance bottles in the fragrance wardrobe. It is what it is - a wardrobe just for storing fragrance. Gawwwd, I sound such a geek!
    Do happy

I keep all samples and decants in two drawers. For my bottles I've got a decorative textile box which I bought in art deco shop around 2 years ago. It plays it's role perfectly as it protects the perfume from sunlight and temperature changes + it looks gorgeous sitting on the shelf of my bookshelf.

Post Thanks / Like

Most of my bottles of fragrance are stored in two bathroom cabinets
    with no light. My precious ones stay there all the time, maturing like
    fine wines and only being used occasionally.

I have around six bottles out on the dressing table in rotation so my
    current favourites are to hand. Currently there are:-
    Omnia, Mandarine Basilic, Hot Couture, Ferre de Ferre,
    Rive Gauche and Heliotrope Blanc.

Most of my samples and decants are in three pretty, cardboard boxes but I keep
    the odd few in my handbag/vanity tray/downstairs loo so I always have
    something to hand. The ones out at the moment are:- Daim Blond,
    Theorema, Alien and Donna Karan Gold.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

I just throw mine under the sink, next to the Draino. Just kidding, lol. Mine are kept in a drawer.
    "Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom." "It is honorable for a man to stop striving, Since any fool can start a quarrel." Proverbs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I use an IKEA cabinet as well. I use this one:
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/pr...055/#/10119206

For my 3 fragrances I use in rotation (usually changed once a month), I keep those on my dresser.

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    I just throw mine under the sink, next to the Draino...
    Oh, you're such a hoot!
    Monarch butterflies require milkweed to prevent extinction

Quote Originally Posted by Nausicaš View Post
    We store samples in ammunition boxes like this, or in small metal boxes for bringing with us.
    Brilliant.