Code of Conduct

Default How do I dissolve oakmoss/treemoss in alcohol

It's a very thick solution. I tried it but it isn't happening unfortunately.
    Is there any expert who can advice me on this?

Default Re: How do I dissolve oakmoss/treemoss in alcohol

Maybe I just have to wait and let the liquid mature for a couple of days, I have just tried it. Only very little dissolved.

do you have any carrier oil you might be able to use as a diluent? That might work. (yeah, experts, sound off here. I think this question was answered before, so you might search the DIY again and see.)
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

I made some oakmoss extrait just recently. You may need to heat the oakmoss absolute up a little to increase mobility to make it easier to transfer. Then just mix and shake. The absolute will disolve completely in alcohol at a 20% concentration. You may need to keep shaking it every so often for a few days.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Thank you hirch. How do I heat the oakmoss? Just in a spoon above a lighter?

Quote Originally Posted by Raj420 View Post
    Thank you hirch. How do I heat the oakmoss? Just in a spoon above a lighter?
    I haven't tried that. I put the closed bottle into a bowl of warm water and keep shaking it. You may need to do it a few times. Is your oakmoss absolute pourable? If so I would just pipette a few ml into a seperate glass bottle and add the alcohol directly.
    If you do need to heat, I think an oven on low heat would work too, but be careful of the glass breaking
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

reviews

Oh I just realised Raj420 has been banned.

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Oh I just realised Raj420 has been banned.
    For trying to dissolve oakmoss in alcohol ?
    -

??? Hmm. Wonders. :-) Only 3 posts, all to this thread, and a brand new member. Any moderator wanna shed some light on this? (or not is also good.) Things like this make me curious.
    Last edited by actiasluna; 16th May 2010 at 01:43 AM.
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

i have dissolved mine in alcohol at 1/3. it did take a day or two. i did keep it in a warm but not hot place. be very careful about alcohol and heat, especially in a tightly closed container, it can explode. there is a recent thread about au bain marie heating of absolutes to dissolve them, please read it carefully before you proceed. not warming it up will work as well, it might just take a little longer.

the ban is mysterious indeed. perhaps there are other ways to get banned than public forum posting?
    however, i assume he still can read our answers.
    Last edited by gido; 16th May 2010 at 07:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raj420 View Post
    It's a very thick solution. I tried it but it isn't happening unfortunately.
    Is there any expert who can advice me on this?
    It will go into solution with a little agitation. I know it's very thick, but eventually it does dissolve.

my technique to dissolve oakmoss abs. :

- heat some water at circa 60°
    - put the absolute container in it, and let it get more fluid by gentle heating
    - pour the quantity you want in a pre-weighed bottle over a scale
    - add alcohol 95° to reach the requested concentration (usually 10% by weight)