Code of Conduct

Arrow When fragrances reveal something about your ethnicity or origins...

It happened to me several times to come near a young woman and think, "Ah, that's a British smell" or "Oh, this one is French". I wouldn't be able to explain it as I am no expert in Fragrances but has that ever happened to you? Perhaps is it so that some countries are known for using certain ingredients more than others?

Default Re: When fragrances reveal something about your ethnicity or origins...

The only time I've ever associated a scent with a region was with Soir de Marrakech. Not that I've ever been to Morocco or know what Morocco "smells like", but something about it seems fitting to my mental image.

I have a lot of English heritage and smelling Royal English Leather by Creed makes me feel very British, it has an extreme elegant and proper type of smell. Hard to explain.

My scents reveal nothing of my origins or ethnicity. My tastes run into all types of perfumes.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I'm not sure what it means to smell Canadian, but I imagine anointing yourself with black spruce oil might be a start! They're the only fragrant plant I know that grows in every province and territory....

As for me, I wish I got comments on my fragrances - no-one seems to notice, for better or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by grm215 View Post
    The only time I've ever associated a scent with a region was with Soir de Marrakech. Not that I've ever been to Morocco or know what Morocco "smells like", but something about it seems fitting to my mental image.
    What are some other fragrances that resemble the scents from this region? I am familiar with Andy Tauer's masterpiece. There has to be others.
    Last edited by dogsinatub; 16th May 2010 at 12:32 AM.

There are some general differences. To me, the British scents are fairly traditional, more floral and lavender. The French do a lot more blends with a bit of finesse. Creed, which is a British company turned French company has a style of its own to me. The Italians do some distinctive things too.

The designer scents sort of cross all the lines.

I could probably make some correct guesses about British vs. French perfumes, but that's about it.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 16th May 2010 at 01:08 AM.

My German/Russian heritage becomes evident via fragrance only when I've been cooking my ethnic heritage favorites, like Polish sausage and saurkraut. No, I'm not Polish, but for some reason both sides of my family ate lots of that dish. I still love it now and then. It's mighty fragrant on clothes and skin, and most likely not in a very pleasant way. . .
    Last edited by mrcologneguy; 16th May 2010 at 01:16 AM.

I see what you're saying. On the whole, I find that:

French fragrances tend to use iris, lavender, civet, oakmoss and leather more often than other countries, while arabian fragrances are usually more animalic from the use of indoles and cleaner synthetic musks, with a tendency for using rose, jasmine and sandalwood more often than not. British fragrances are usually a bit colder and elegant, using more geranium, lemon, lime and pine/conifer notes - they usually lack the raunchiness (and charm) of french fragrances. American fragrances tend to focus on clean, modern, synthetic notes, rather than sexual or animalic ones.

These are, of course, largely exaggerated stereotypes that are broken day to day. I'm sure a little more thought and time might result in a more scientific classification scheme, but for now, I hope I contributed towards the answer you were looking for.
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 16th May 2010 at 03:10 AM.
    Sales thread here

The Puig fragrances smell very much like strolling through the shops, cafes, tapa bars, and gardens of Spain. Likewise, Essence of Jerusalem really captures the herbaceous smells of sections of Israel.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Interesting thread.
    I do agree there are certain associations attached to the different styles of perfumery: English, French, American, Spanish, Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, etc. But it really is up to you which perfume you love best on your skin. Just because a person happens to be English, it doesn't mean he has to restrict himself to wearing English-styled scents... In that respect a fragrance doesn't necessarily say anything about a person's ethnicity or origins, but it may reveal something about the perfume's cultural leanings. Funnily enough, 'oriental' has transcended its cultural roots and became a 'genre'.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    I'm not sure what it means to smell Canadian, but I imagine anointing yourself with black spruce oil might be a start! They're the only fragrant plant I know that grows in every province and territory....

As for me, I wish I got comments on my fragrances - no-one seems to notice, for better or worse.
    Suga', when I think of Canadian, I think of cool air in the lungs and hockey rinks, the smell of sweaty shin pads, stockings and jerseys, the stickiness of sports tape... LOL! The feel of rubber mats beneath my skates...
    Last edited by Primrose; 16th May 2010 at 03:58 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Not really my own ethnicity, but when I first sprayed on a recent bottle purchase, I thought I smelled like a Latin American guitar wizard.

Anyone care to be the Rob Thomas to my Carlos Santana ?
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

I don't think my fragrance choices reveal anything about my ethnicity or origins. I wouldn't think anyone else's would reveal those somethings about anyone else either.

I do think some loose and crude hypotheses can be made about the styles of perfumery from different countries, although I think they hold significantly less true in our time of global marketplace.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Suga', when I think of Canadian, I think of cool air in the lungs and hockey rinks, the smell of sweaty shin pads, stockings and jerseys, the stickiness of sports tape... LOL! The feel of rubber mats beneath my skates...
    Brrr... My only time on ice consisted of tottering around on skates, hugging the side of the rink, age seven.

More than happy to have traded winter sports for the January flowers of the west coast, that's for sure.

In global marketing time I really miss some ethnic features in perfumes.
    And I have to think about - what perfume style could be Russian?
    Since we borrowed something from French (pre-revolution Russian perfume brands were founded by French people), and after Perestroyka we got the same fresh-air, ozone, water vibe from USA. And now global marketing...
    All the perfume hits are almost the same in whole world.

Nothing perfume-like to be proud of. Oil and gas has no good smell.
    I believe, some territories has no distinctive smells & perfumery tastes...
    Vetiver The Great!!!

I would not go that far as to notice whether fragrances reveal anything about my ethnicity or origins, however, some of them actually do reveal some of my attitudes and mindsets towards almost any ethnicity or origin (a certain pleasure and interest for discovery, inquiry, experimentation, a certain relaxed attitude towards multiculturalism, a certain conscious or unconscious wish to cover a pretty broad range of ingredients, fragrance houses etc.)
    But, I do get reactions from friends, acquaintances, co-workers while wearing a certain frag, even much more often than compliments or criticism regarding a frag, sounding approximately like: "Oh, this fragrance you are wearing smells like Ancient Greece" or "This fragrance you are wearing now reminds my of my latest vacation in Morocco", but I have no logical explanation for the latter reaction, especially since most of the frags with sometimes quite liberal geographical associations, actually do originate from the most classic and unassuming French fragrance houses
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 16th May 2010 at 08:05 AM.

I don't really think anything of it revealing ethnicity, but do get the links to other places.

When my fiancee first smelled Fumurie Turque, she exclaimed that it smelled like the markets in Saudi Arabia, where she lived for a few years as a child.

Quote Originally Posted by dogsinatub View Post
    What are some other fragrances that resemble the scents from this region? I am familiar with Andy Tauer's masterpiece. There has to be others.
    Bois Marocain by Tom Ford

Ouarzarzate by Comme Des Garcons