Code of Conduct

Default Yatagan - current version

I love Yatagan, its a fragrance that first came to my notice here on Basenotes and is now firmly at the head of my favourites - a fantastic blend of dry spices and woody leathery pine that stays close to my skin yet lasts and lasts. Unfortunately, the bottle I first acquired, picture hereunder (bottle with silver cap) is now nearing its end.

yat2.jpg

I now intend purchasing a new bottle of this great scent, but find that the packaging has changed - see picture of bottle with black cap.

Yatagan..jpg

Given that packaging has changed, I am somehwat concerned that the juice itself may also have been altered and, given my poor experience of many other reformulations, am seeking the views of anyone who has used or the new version with the black cap - is it the same juice or has it changed, most importantly, is it still Yataganish?

Default Re: Yatagan - current version

the one with the silver cap that you just finished is the reformulated version. the one with the black cap is the older one. many net retailers post the picture with the black cap but most possibly you will receive the reformulated. anyway they are both great.
    Last edited by damon; 15th May 2010 at 08:54 PM.

I enjoy both formulations, and I think you'll enjoy them also.

I noticed that the modern formula is a bit harsher, the older a bit smoother. It is definitely different but the same scent, if that makes sense. (I just feel the need with the silver-cap version to "temper" it with something a little smooth. Thus, it's ended up in my "if somebody wants this..." shelf.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Quote Originally Posted by actiasluna View Post
    I noticed that the modern formula is a bit harsher, the older a bit smoother. It is definitely different but the same scent, if that makes sense. (I just feel the need with the silver-cap version to "temper" it with something a little smooth. Thus, it's ended up in my "if somebody wants this..." shelf.
    Maybe they have replaced some banned IFRA material for something similar, but chemical? I had this impression with the newish Heritage. While the same scent, the new one was harsher too, and the old smoother.

I've got them both and Damon is right that the silver capped is the currently sold and newer version. I also agree with him and TheBeck that they're both great.

If you get the black capped one count yourself lucky--there will be less of it over time--but don't worry either way.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Thanks for replies, I had thought that silver capped bottle was older version as I purchased it about 18 months ago, and find (and am assured) that the black topped bottle is the one that I can now buy - based on advice, I guess I should be snapping it up!