Code of Conduct

Question Ladies, how much fragrance do you like men to wear? / What is the ideal "smelling distance" ?

Do you prefer men who wear their fragrance very lightly so that you can only smell it when you put your face on their shoulders or kiss them? Do you prefer mid-range (Standing closely in front of them)? Or should they reek of perfume when they take their jacket off?

Default Re: Ladies, how much fragrance do you like men to wear? / What is the ideal "smelling distance" ?

I like to smell a man's scent when he walks by...hence the French term "sillage," which means "wake." A nice, light sillage, enough to be noticed but not to knock you over. Strong scents over the skin are meant for more intimate moments.
    Last edited by Primrose; 15th May 2010 at 11:41 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Default Re: Ladies, how much fragrance do you like men to wear? / What is the ideal "smelling distance" ?

Within about four feet of him, I should be a little uncertain - do I smell a cologne? Within two feet of him, it's OK if I can be moderately confident that, yes, he is wearing some fragrance. Further than four feet, I shouldn't be able to smell anything.

If the scent isn't one of those that sucks the air out of the room, I like to have an idea a fellow's wearing scent from about 2-4 feet away, if that far. The impression one has bathed in perfume is not compliment-inspiring to me. If it's a person I know quite well, oddly enough less is much, much more.

Probably because my fellow isn't into scent at all, and oftentimes smells of whatever machine lubricant or solvent he's been using in his tinkering... and of sunshine-warmed skin and perhaps the shampoo he used. He smells wonderful to me anyway, and has the courtesy to shower off any more industrial strength stuff he's accumulated in his tinkering day before we are too close. I grant him that courtesy as well.

(which is to say it depends upon the person, doesn't it?)
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Eva Pasco

I prefer nuzzling distance. In my opinion, anything more reeks to me of some agenda to become a babe magnet, whether warranted or not.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I like to smell a man's scent when he walks by...hence the French term "sillage," which means "wake." A nice, light sillage, enough to be noticed but not to knock you over. Strong scents over the skin are meant for more intimate moments.
    +1 ... beautifully said!

Yes, I don't want to be able to smell more than a slight whiff, a faint suggestion, if I'm out of arm's reach of the person in question. Of course, it depends on what he's wearing ... some things I don't want to smell at all!

I just like to smell a soft bit of it. up close or 3ft at most.

I just hate it when I am shopping and can smell a scent so strong I need to leave the area.

Women do this also, they use too much and its gets overbearing especially when I am waiting for something and the person is beside me.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world, the unreasonable man adapts the world to himself, therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." "Shaw"

Less is more.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."