Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default New Scent from Parfums Delrae

I was at Barneys today here in San Francisco, and DelRae Roth was there, introducing her newest scent for Parfums DelRae. Here's the skinny:

Parfums DelRae
    Coup de Foudre
    (2010)
    Yann Vasnier
    Floral Fougère
    ------------------
    Top Notes: Baie Rose, Italian Lemon 'sfumatrice', Pink Grapefruit
    Middle Notes: Rose de Mai France Orpur Absolute, Purple Peony, Egyptian Jasmine Absolute, Magnolia Orpur
    Base Notes: Tonka Venezuela, Vetyver, White Moss, Velvet Musks
    ------------------
    Another one by Yann Vasnier, the creator of the last DelRae introduced, Mythique, a beautiful take on orris root. Coup de Foudre aims to "capture the ultimate beauty of the rose, as you find it in nature — deep, luscious, fresh, and completely intoxicating. So stunning, that when you first smell it, regardless of your previous rose experience, it is 'love at first sight'... coup de foudre."

Coup de foudre
    is literally, "bolt of lightning," but the French do use this to describe that instantaneous infatuation we call "love at first sight" in English.
    I call this a floral fougère because even though it has no lavender, it sports tonka and moss in the base.

The rose de mai (Rosa centifolia) used in this comes from one of the two remaining fields in Grasse, and the processing of the rose was made with a new technique which is said to produce an "immediate vibrancy." The method produces absolutes called "Orpur," which sounds to me like or pur, "pure gold," although I'm not aware if the derivation is that or something else.

Anyway, the bottom line: Coup de Foudre is set to appear at Barneys at the end of this month at $150 US for 1.7 oz. (50 ml.). DelRae sprayed a couple of small squirts on my hand, and it is truly amazing. I'm planning to get some as soon as it comes out.
    Last edited by JaimeB; 16th May 2010 at 08:06 PM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Default Re: New Scent from Parfums Delrae

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    I was at Barneys today here in San Francisco, and DelRae Roth was there, introducing her newest scent for Parfums DelRae. Here's the skinny:

Parfums DelRae
    Coup de Foudre
    (2010)
    Yann Vasnier
    Floral Fougère
    ------------------
    Top Notes: Baie Rose, Italian Lemon 'sfumatrice', Pink Grapefruit
    Middle Notes: Rose de Mai France Orpur Absolute, Purple Peony, Egyptian Jasmine Absolute, Magnolia Orpur
    Base Notes; Tonka Venezuela, Vetyver, White Moss, Velvet Musks
    ------------------
    Another one by Yann Vasnier, the creator of the last DelRae introduced, Mythique, a beautiful take on orris root. Coup de Foudre aims to "capture the ultimate beauty of the rose, as you find it in nature — deep, luscious, fresh, and completely intoxicating. So stunning, that when you first smell it, regardless of your previous rose experience, it is 'love at first sight'... coup de foudre."

Coup de foudre
    is literally, "bolt of lightning," but the French do use this to describe that instantaneous infatuation we call "love at first sight" in English.
    I call this a floral fougère because, even though it has no lavender, it sports tonka and moss in the base.

The rose de mai (Rosa centifolia) used in this comes from one of the two remaining fields in Grasse, and the processing of the rose was made with a new technique which is said to produce an "immediate vibrancy." The method produces absolutes called "Orpur," which sounds to me like or pur, "pure gold," although I'm not aware if the derivation is that or something else.

Anyway, the bottom line: Coup de Foudre is set to appear at Barneys at the end of this month at $150 US for 1.7 oz. (50 ml.). DelRae sprayed a couple of small squirts on my hand, and it is truly amazing. I'm planning to get some as soon as it comes out.
    Oh, interesting review! Does this one reminded you of another fragrance?

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    Oh, interesting review! Does this one reminded you of another fragrance?
    Not quite like anything I've smelled before. Even though this is intended to be a rose soliflore, I think the materials used are unique because of the rarity of the Grasse rose de mai, and because of the Orpur extraction process. Eu acho que isto é único!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

How prominent is the grapefruit in this? Other than that, this sounds right up my alley...

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    Not quite like anything I've smelled before. Even though this is intended to be a rose soliflore, I think the materials used are unique because of the rarity of the Grasse rose de mai, and because of the Orpur extraction process. Eu acho que isto é único!
    An unusal rose fragrance is not something that you see everyday, so I'll try to get a decant of it when it's launched. What type of rose fragrance does this one reminded you? Powdery, animalic, fruity rose, dark fruity wood rose?

Obrigado!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I would say very clearly a rose, but with support from the other notes I listed, and I would also say (because of the base notes) a mossy and slightly musky rose.
    Last edited by JaimeB; 15th May 2010 at 11:32 PM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Thanks for the tip Jaime, this sounds absolutely wonderful! Nice review, you certainly got my attention.

I'm always interested in smelling a Yann Vasnier creation. He's a great nose.

Mmm. Sounds really good. I think DelRae fragrances are all very opulent and well made. I look forward to trying this. Thanks, Jaime.
    - Joe

Usually I dislike ROSE, but still I interested by ORPUR extraction technique - do you know what company is developed it?
    Vetiver The Great!!!

This sounds lovely, and what a great name! Thanks for the introduction, Jaime!

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    This sounds lovely, and what a great name!
    Agreed! It's very dramatic - I like passionate names for floral fragrances, rather than cutesy ones.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post
    Usually I dislike ROSE, but still I interested by ORPUR extraction technique - do you know what company is developed it?
    A little research showed that Orpur is a trademark of Givaudan, registered in the United States on October 30, 2008. The only specific description of it I could find was this:

"*ORPUR™ is a natural raw material with a pure and 100% natural quality and a clearly defined origin."

I guess that means: not synthetic and selected for quality from a particular botanical source. Whether it refers to any particular process of extraction isn't clear from what I've been able to find.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Anyone know how ORPUR is supposed to be pronounced? Right now I'm saying it like "torpor"...

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    Anyone know how ORPUR is supposed to be pronounced? Right now I'm saying it like "torpor"...
    My guess would be like or pur ("pure gold") in French, since Givaudan are in la Suisse romande, French-speaking Switzerland.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca