Code of Conduct

Default Elixir des Merveilles - Why this one is marketed for woman?

This is one of the female fragrances that most intrigues me. Why is this one marketed for a woman? I think this is a gourmand take on a spicy and woody male 80's powerhouse base. It hasn't nothing feminine. On me it opens with a bitter orange aroma that sweetens a little with a chocolate vanilla biscuit accord, but that soon goes on a spice, ambery woody aroma that seems like an reinterpretation of an 80's masculine fragrance transformed into an airy but intense aroma.
    Has anyone tried this one? What are your opinions about it?

Default Re: Elixir des Merveilles - Why this one is marketed for woman?

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    Why is this one marketed for a woman? I think this is a gourmand take on a spicy and woody male 80's powerhouse base. It hasn't nothing feminine. On me it opens with a bitter orange aroma that sweetens a little with a chocolate vanilla biscuit accord, but that soon goes on a spice, ambery woody aroma that seems like an reinterpretation of an 80's masculine fragrance transformed into an airy but intense aroma.
    Has anyone tried this one? What are your opinions about it?
    I've owned this one for about two years now and completely agree with you.
    I did't know it was marketed to women at the time, when a Hermes SA suggested that I try it because she thought I would like the oak note in it. Man was she right. I tried to blow it off and left the store. Approximately 1/2 mile away, I started getting whiffs of the mid & basenotes in the car, made a u-turn and snatched it up. I like it a lot and wear it quite a bit.

It's an unusual wood base scent that intrigues me most - unlike most others.

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    Is this the same scent as Parfum des Merveilles?
    I have already owned the Parfum de merveilles, and to me the parfum is more complex and has a dry boozy aura that the eau des merveilles and the elixir des merveilles doesn't have. Also is smokier and more balsamic I think. The Elixir is also very wearable by a man.

Sur la Plage

I really like it. But I do not let marketing/labels rule my purchases, as it seems to do for some others.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I really like it. But I do not let marketing/labels rule my purchases, as it seems to do for some others.
    Me neither, but what impress me is that this one doesn't have anything that makes me think of a woman. And it's marketed for a woman. Go figure these market guys...

Banned

It is quite confusing as there is nothing feminine about it.

Basenotes Institution

I love Elixir des Merveilles. I went through a whole bottle years ago and decided not to replace it but I still think of it fondly.

It was the first fragrance from Hermes that I bought a full bottle of, when I started my fragrance life here on BN. I remember reading out it on Now Smell This and finding out that it was created by Jean Claude Ellena and I knew I already liked many of his creations already (especially the Hermessences). It was the Christmas holiday shopping season and Ray and I were at Sephora, in the mall. I put it on, and it immediately made me smile: it really did smell like chocolate covered orange peel (I love eating those!) and yet when the gourmand qualities of this fade off, it has that wonderful salty ambergris thing going on, from the original Eau des Merveilles. It really helped me understand and appreciate the original EdM even more. Later on the next year I bought a bottle of Eau des Merveilles and also a mini of Parfum des Merveilles.

The Elixir is a challenge for me to wear in warm weather, because of how sweet it is. Which is partly why I gravitate towards the parfum more. Nonetheless, I think all three are unisex.

Why did Hermes market it to females? Probably because Eau des Merveilles was a feminine and they thought capitalizing on a well known and successful fragrance would make them more $ (I'm sure it did). Nonetheless, many Hermes sales associates present all of the Hermes scents (feminines, masculines and unisex) to me when I go to the Hermes boutique here. It's quite refreshing - this is how it should be, for every fragrance.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 16th May 2010 at 05:24 AM.

I find it very similar in TEXTURE to Kingdom and they are both perfectly wearable by men. I think the lack of florals and the thick resinous texture do the trick.
    Last edited by cpk; 16th May 2010 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I love Elixir des Merveilles. I went through a whole bottle years ago and decided not to replace it but I still think of it fondly.

It was the first fragrance from Hermes that I bought a full bottle of, when I started my fragrance life here on BN. I remember reading out it on Now Smell This and finding out that it was created by Jean Claude Ellena and I knew I already liked many of his creations already (especially the Hermessences). It was the Christmas holiday shopping season and Ray and I were at Sephora, in the mall. I put it on, and it immediately made me smile: it really did smell like chocolate covered orange peel (I love eating those!) and yet when the gourmand qualities of this fade off, it has that wonderful salty ambergris thing going on, from the original Eau des Merveilles. It really helped me understand and appreciate the original EdM even more. Later on the next year I bought a bottle of Eau des Merveilles and also a mini of Parfum des Merveilles.

The Elixir is a challenge for me to wear in warm weather, because of how sweet it is. Which is partly why I gravitate towards the parfum more. Nonetheless, I think all three are unisex.

Why did Hermes market it to females? Probably because Eau des Merveilles was a feminine and they thought capitalizing on a well known and successful fragrance would make them more $ (I'm sure it did). Nonetheless, many Hermes sales associates present all of the Hermes scents (feminines, masculines and unisex) to me when I go to the Hermes boutique here. It's quite refreshing - this is how it should be, for every fragrance.
    Mike, Eau des Merveilles is one of my favorite summer scents. I love it's salty, fizzy citrus and ambergris thing, and it's a scent that stays with you all day in summer but doesn't get louder or suffocating. It's a scent that I'm always sensing in the air, since it's the favorite of my sister.
    The Elixir on me goes very fast from the gourmand opening to the spice amber drydown, and while it reminds me of Eau des Merveilles, I detect that Elixir doesn't have that fizzy, airy aura that Eau des Merveilles have. I was little bit frustrated with Parfum des Merveilles because for some reason I cannot understand this one doesn't stay so longer on my skin. It start in a promising way with a resin and liquer aura, but after some time it almost disappear on me. I'd have to own a big bottle of this one to fully appreciate it, but i dind't found anymore the bigger version of the parfum that hermés used to do.

I consider Hermés fragrances very wearable for Men, even the feminines. I love the iris leather of Kelly Caleche and I'm enjoying now the butter spiciness of the original Caléche. Hermés is one of my favorite fragrance houses.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Yet another scent with no real gender label. In truth, I ignore it all and spray away with abandon!

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    Mike, Eau des Merveilles is one of my favorite summer scents. I love it's salty, fizzy citrus and ambergris thing, and it's a scent that stays with you all day in summer but doesn't get louder or suffocating. It's a scent that I'm always sensing in the air, since it's the favorite of my sister. The Elixir on me goes very fast from the gourmand opening to the spice amber drydown, and while it reminds me of Eau des Merveilles, I detect that Elixir doesn't have that fizzy, airy aura that Eau des Merveilles have. I was little bit frustrated with Parfum des Merveilles because for some reason I cannot understand this one doesn't stay so longer on my skin. It start in a promising way with a resin and liquer aura, but after some time it almost disappear on me. I'd have to own a big bottle of this one to fully appreciate it, but i dind't found anymore the bigger version of the parfum that hermés used to do. I consider Hermés fragrances very wearable for Men, even the feminines. I love the iris leather of Kelly Caleche and I'm enjoying now the butter spiciness of the original Caléche. Hermés is one of my favorite fragrance houses.
    Kelly Caleche EDT is one of my fav summer scents! A wonderful rose and leather scent. BTW, the EDP and the EDT are quite different. I think the EDT has a larger leather vibe.
    Last edited by Primrose; 16th May 2010 at 11:11 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Yet another scent with no real gender label. In truth, I ignore it all and spray away with abandon!

Kelly Caleche EDT is one of my fav summer scents! A wonderful rose and leather scent. BTW, the EDP and the EDT are quite different. I think the EDT has a larger leather vibe.
    I have the same impression. I have 15m of the edt and 15ml of the edp. The edp seems more flowery to me, but with a dry flower accord. I prefer the EDT.