Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Frapin, Malle, or Lutens?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Frapin Caravelle Epicee

6 11.76%
  • Frapin Passion Boisee

2 3.92%
  • Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur

20 39.22%
  • Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan

23 45.10%

Default Frapin, or Malle, or Lutens?

Which of these 4 "spice-bombs" do you prefer? and which one do you think is the most masculine of them? I like Caravelle Epice.. I have not yet tried Ambre Sultan and Musc Ravageur.

-Frapin Caravelle Epice
    -Frapin Passion Boisee
    -Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
    -Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan

Default Re: Frapin, or Malle, or Lutens?

Ive not tried the Frapins but own both the Malle and Lutens which are two completely different beasts

Blog Entries

I prefer the Ambre Sultan.

I prefer Musc Ravageur, that to me has a delicious gourmand spice aura and reminds me somehow of shalimar, but made in a modern way.
    I could never love Ambre Sultan. To me it's one of the most oppressive amber scents, and I don't know why on me it has a moldy wood aura that I cannot stand.
    Frapin scents are great, but they don't have so much longevity on skin. You'll probably need to reaply them if you choose your spicy bomb from this house.

i have ambre sultan and musc ravageur, like both, but musc is easier to use.
    is it to a date, daily wear or what?

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    I prefer Musc Ravageur, that to me has a delicious gourmand spice aura and reminds me somehow of shalimar, but made in a modern way.
    I could never love Ambre Sultan. To me it's one of the most oppressive amber scents, and I don't know why on me it has a moldy wood aura that I cannot stand.
    Frapin scents are great, but they don't have so much longevity on skin. You'll probably need to reaply them if you choose your spicy bomb from this house.
    Agreed. Frapin makes wonderful stuff, but the longevity could be better..

-Do you think Ambre Sultan lean to the feminine or masculine side of the scale?

Frapin's materials are simply not on par with Malle or Lutens IMO. Caravelle is a potentially great fragrance that suffers from an obnoxiously cheapo-synthetic aspect in the drydown. MR and the Sultan are both brilliant, but AS seems more versatile, the former being romantic only. AS's herbal amberiness makes it entirely unisex to me. Thus my vote for Lutens.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I haven't tried either of the Frapin's, but of the other two, I'd go for MR. However, neither are spice bombs, in my opinion. Musc Ravaguer is a creamy cinnamon-bun fragrance, strong but more of a sweet, mellow gourmand at heart. Ambre Sultan is a dry, doughy, herbal amber, not particularly spicy to my nose.

If "spice bomb" is the desired effect and Lutens is the house, it would be a shame not to try Arabie. Whether they've liked it or not, I think everyone who's tried it would think "spice bomb" would be an appropriate phrase for its spicy gourmand extroversion.

Lutens makes all sorts of fun spicy scents, in my opinion - Fille En Aiguilles is my favorite ( more subtle than Arabie ), but Serge Noir, Five O'Clock, Rousse, possibly even Chypre Rouge ( which I don't like, but has its fans ) are all worth trying.

Within the Malle line, a "butch" spicy fragrance would probably be more in line with Noir Epices than Musc Ravaguer.

I'll also put in a good word for Comme des Garcons EdP - the classic spice-bomb, if ever there was one. It's almost nose-singeingly spicy!
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 16th May 2010 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    I haven't tried either of the Frapin's, but of the other two, I'd go for MR. However, neither are spice bombs, in my opinion. Musc Ravaguer is a creamy cinnamon-bun fragrance, strong but more of a sweet, mellow gourmand at heart. Ambre Sultan is a dry, doughy, herbal amber, not particularly spicy to my nose.

If "spice bomb" is the desired effect and Lutens is the house, it would be a shame not to try Arabie. Whether they've liked it or not, I think everyone who's tried it would think "spice bomb" would be an appropriate phrase for its spicy gourmand extroversion.

Lutens makes all sorts of fun spicy scents, in my opinion - Fille En Aiguilles is my favorite ( more subtle than Arabie ), but Serge Noir, Five O'Clock, Rousse, possibly even Chypre Rouge ( which I don't like, but has its fans ) are all worth trying.

Within the Malle line, a "butch" spicy fragrance would probably be more in line with Noir Epices than Musc Ravaguer.

I'll also put in a good word for Comme des Garcons EdP - the classic spice-bomb, if ever there was one. It's almost nose-singeingly spicy!
    I'm one of Chypre Rouge fans - it's one of my faves I just love that Honey fruity liqueur against the dry mossy base. I got very sad when I discovered it was going to be discontinued From that list, I'd say that Serge Noire and Arabie are the most spice bombs. I've already had Rousse, and while it has a great spicy woody cinnamon, there's a disgusting carrot iris accord that ruins everything. You don't detect from the first wears of Rousse, but when you detect, is very annoying, it's an accord that don't go away and that masks a great part of Rousse cinnamon.

Noir Epicies is really a spicy bomb, very dry and cloveish.

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    I've already had Rousse, and while it has a great spicy woody cinnamon, there's a disgusting carrot iris accord that ruins everything.
    Intriguing! That's actually a recommendation to me... I love the iris-carrot in Iris Silver Mist, but I've never really given Rousse a fair wearing.

DeepSilence

Musk Ravageur is similar to what? i didn't have it and i could not find it.
    Sultan is Sultan! It's King of fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamid View Post
    Musk Ravageur is similar to what?
    It's fairly unique in my experience. A very distant, dry cousin is Sonoma Scent Studio's Sienna Musk. If you've ever smelled a cinnamon bun, you'll have a very good idea of what Musc Ravaguer smells like.

DeepSilence

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    It's fairly unique in my experience. A very distant, dry cousin is Sonoma Scent Studio's Sienna Musk. If you've ever smelled a cinnamon bun, you'll have a very good idea of what Musc Ravaguer smells like.
    Thanks a lot
    Cinnamon Bun?! my vote must go for Sultan!
    However one day i should try it.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Frapin's materials are simply not on par with Malle or Lutens IMO. Caravelle is a potentially great fragrance that suffers from an obnoxiously cheapo-synthetic aspect in the drydown. MR and the Sultan are both brilliant, but AS seems more versatile, the former being romantic only. AS's herbal amberiness makes it entirely unisex to me. Thus my vote for Lutens.
    I find this interesting. I just so happen to dislike both of the Frapins listed, but I love two others. One being 1270, which I have found to be far and away the best gourmand I've ever smelled. Not to mention, I get insane longevity out of it as well.

Edit: I meant to add that, I don't really smell anything to my nose that represents any sort of drop off in ingredient quality from Malle or SL.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 17th May 2010 at 01:34 AM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Someone tell us about Passion Boisee. I haven't tried that one yet.

Frapin perfumes fade away too fast before I can see their characters to love them.

MR opening notes are amazing. Strong dirty musc + vanille + cinnamon. But after about 1 hours, it becomes a very normal scent. Slightly sweet and warm.

Amber Sultan is too strong for me. But whenever I wear it, I receive so many good compliments. Women loves it. People love it. It is rich, complex, strong. It has great longervity and sillage.

So I vote for Lutens.

I don't consider Musk R spice at all , but it did get me vote.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    ^ what he said

Hmm.. I think it`s strange Caravelle Epicee got so few votes here.. To all the people voting here: Have you ever smelled Caravelle Epicee at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Hmm.. I think it`s strange Caravelle Epicee got so few votes here.. To all the people voting here: Have you ever smelled Caravelle Epicee at all?
    Oslo-Fjord, clearly there is less attention to Frapin offerings here than either the Malle or Lutens scents you list. It would be interesting to know how many BNers have tried either of them.

My choice would be Musc Ravageur.

I think Ambre Sultan is one of the most sensual scents out there. MR I had and never real liked. I got a lot of cinnamon bun, and little else. I swapped it for Kouros.

Sorry, haven't tried Frapins.