Code of Conduct

Default Birthday present for dad, help please.

Hello guys im looking for a scent for my dads birthday.
    Hell be turning 45. He is an averidge family man but does at times also love the finer things. (good food and hes herb garden)
    Works as a grocery store manager. (so nothing too edgy would do)
    Here is the thing he never wears perfume, just simple scentless deodorant. He always says hed love to have a signature scent or smth for a special occasion but doesn't know what to buy and has told me to choose for him.

Here are some of the perfumes i have chosen/am thinking about

1 Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan
    2 Serge Lutens Chergui
    3 Lubin Idole
    4 L'Artisan Havana Vanille
    5 Hermes Bel Ami

I have also tought about By Kilian Straight to heaven and Tom Fords Tobacco Vanille
    or maybe baldessarini by baldessarini?

Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated

thanks,

Kat

Default Re: Birthday present for dad, help please.

I would go with Hermes Bel Ami or even Equipage. Both are nice masculine classics.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I don’t know your dad. But when you ask for "nothing too edgy" the list of scents you consider seems rather extravagant. Especially in hot weather (never been to Abu Dhabi, but it sounds like sunshine around the year) i wouldn’t want to wear that kind of scents.

Bel Ami sounds fitting. I’d think Terre d’Hermès also. If you think about buying one of the Tom Ford private Blends, my favourite for summer would be Italian Cypress, a really classy scent for men.

ambre sultan is very mature kind of smoky woods fragrance , i would choose that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorag View Post
    I don’t know your dad. But when you ask for "nothing too edgy" the list of scents you consider seems rather extravagant. Especially in hot weather (never been to Abu Dhabi, but it sounds like sunshine around the year) i wouldn’t want to wear that kind of scents.

Bel Ami sounds fitting. I’d think Terre d’Hermès also. If you think about buying one of the Tom Ford private Blends, my favourite for summer would be Italian Cypress, a really classy scent for men.
    As awful as it sounds, when it comes to frags I don't really know him aswell. I don't know how that happened -Abu Dhabi- we live in Edinburgh, Scotland.
    Ill see if I can find Terre d’Hermès for sampling. I don't want anything too classical aswell, id love to find something really special for him. Thanks for the reply
    Last edited by Jadoremusic; 16th May 2010 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    ambre sultan is very mature kind of smoky woods fragrance , i would choose that one.
    its my favourite aswell, soo warm and comforting, at least on me. Im a bit afraid of the amber note in it, not sure dad would love it but then again thats what makes it so earthy.

Of the ones on your list, I'd say Bel Ami is by far the best choice under the circumstances. I can't see anyone going from unscented deodorant to Ambre Sultan overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadoremusic View Post
    ...and Tom Fords Tobacco Vanille
    Surprising someone with a scent is always tricky I think, but this one delighted me during a test of a sample.

I found it a more masculine version of L'Artisan's Havana Vanille. I already have a vanilla/tobacco scent, but if I didn't, I'd be rushing to buy the Ford offering.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 16th May 2010 at 10:44 PM.

Hmm, I think it's taking a big chance buying any Lutens for someone who doesn't currently wear fragrance. I personally would start with something very low risk, like L'instant maybe. Or maybe a designer scent that you can test at a local department store. Offer to take him shopping for a fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    Hmm, I think it's taking a big chance buying any Lutens for someone who doesn't currently wear fragrance. I personally would start with something very low risk, like L'instant maybe. Or maybe a designer scent that you can test at a local department store. Offer to take him shopping for a fragrance.
    Agree that Lutens is pretty intense stuff to start with.

What about one of the Acqua di Parma Colonia offerings (original, assoluta, intensa)? Quality and classy. Can't go wrong, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadoremusic View Post
    its my favourite aswell, soo warm and comforting, at least on me. Im a bit afraid of the amber note in it, not sure dad would love it but then again thats what makes it so earthy.
    it is a mature fragrance, perhaps you should have him smell some and see which ones he likes

So I assume there is no budget for the gift with the niche fragrances that you've listed. I have tried Idole by Lubin from a sample and think it's wonderful and even thought about buying myself a bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    +1

Niche fragrances really need to be tested first before buying. They might be wonderful to some people, but awful for others, unless they generally lack any inoffensive notes, like Creed's Millesime Imperial. Plus, they're pretty pricey to take a gamble on.

From your list, Idole is my new found love, so that is what I would vote for.

The scents not on your list I would recommend are: Yatagan, Terre D'Hermes, L'air du desert Marocain and Burberry London.

Double post...
    Last edited by supperman; 17th May 2010 at 12:11 AM.

Given he doesn't now have a signature scent and uses scentless deo - I think a guy his age could start with one of your
    possible choices ( baldessarini ) and would suggest checking into Scent 79 as well.

IMO both are really good juice for any age.

Dependent

Purely based on the details you gave, I would pick Bel Ami from that list, albeit I'm a personal fan of #1, 2 and 3.

I agree that your list seems kind of heavy for someone to start off in the fragrance world. Out of those listed I do quite enjoy Serge Lutens Chergui.

Azzaro Pour Homme by Azzaro. Perfect for any 40+ man.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

If you're thinking of Lutens, what about considering Chene as it is a wonderful woody and masculine but not too intoxicating and has a very confortable feel to it. Un Bois Sepia is also a wonderful offering - never offensive and smells like the forest after heavy rainfall - very earthy. Aqua de Parma's Cipresso De Toscana is a very invigorating and warm scent which may be worth exploring and Les Nuits D'Hadrien by Annick Goutal may also fit the bill as something special to use ....