Code of Conduct

Default Not so sexy! Hidden chemicals in perfume and cologne

Default Re: Not so sexy! Hidden chemicals in perfume and cologne

This article has today's date on it, so I doubt it's been posted here before. Similar subjects get talked about here on BN fairly regularly. I doubt this will affect the decisions of many readers of this forum. My reaction is..... YAWN. Governments have cried wolf a few too many times. People barely take notice any more. The vast majority of these types of scares turn out to be nothing. To the regulatory bodies I say, just leave us perfumistas alone.

Banned

There are chemicals in everything. It's a complete joke.

It would be more meaningful to test and warn about our common hygiene/cosmetics products... You know, the ones many of us use every day and in fairly large quantities sometimes. How about those parabens that are used in almost everything? What about nano technology? Aluminium? Strange synthetic compounds?

Perfume is far from our biggest worry!

I do in my thoughts, at times wonder what possible damage I may be doing to myself by delving so deeply into perfumes.
    All this overspraying everyday, sniffing really close to get a whiff may perhaps be causing some harm. However since there is
    no convincing study so far that shows it's bad. As a result, I tend to ignore the possible dangers.

I'd seen that release from CSC a few days ago and was delayed in re-posting it until I could think of the perfect snarky thread title (full report can be downloaded here http://www.safecosmetics.org/article.php?id=644)

It's a glossy propaganda piece masquerading as a pseudo-science report, demonizing fragrance as a possible cause of everything from allergies to cancer. Some perfume ingredients do need to be restricted (some musks just don't ever seem to degrade) and I'm all for the removal of trade secrets protection on fragrance composition but fear mongering isn't going to make effective remedies easier to implement.

Quote Originally Posted by Zizanioides View Post
    Some perfume ingredients do need to be restricted (some musks just don't ever seem to degrade) and I'm all for the removal of trade secrets protection on fragrance composition but fear mongering isn't going to make effective remedies easier to implement.
    Hear hear.

Acqua di Gio chemicals? That may help explain my boss's frequent bouts with severe douchiness.
    There is no love in modern life
    There is no hope in modern life

Let's not forget the dangers of that all-pervasive chemical DIHYDROGEN MONOXIDE. My god, it's everywhere! Don't be fooled--even the 'natural' perfumers use it extensively.
    Here's the proof:
    http://www.dhmo.org/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trufflehunter View Post
    Let's not forget the dangers of that all-pervasive chemical DIHYDROGEN MONOXIDE. My god, it's everywhere! Don't be fooled--even the 'natural' perfumers use it extensively.
    Here's the proof:
    http://www.dhmo.org/

i loled cause its so true

I think people are confusing "not assessed for safety" with IT WILL KILL U OOLOPLAOLWHOF