Code of Conduct
Just Starting Out Sponsors

Default 48-year-old woman seeks recommendation for daily scent!

Hi all--stumbled on this site and have been astonished by the knowledge (and vocabulary!).
    I'm one of those people who rushed through the perfume section of department stores either repelled by aggressive salespeople or bewildered by choice.
    I don't wear fragrance all that often, but I'm looking to maybe start! Right now I'm working part-time in an office, so don't want to overwhelm co-workers. My current scents: Origins Ginger and Eau de Cartier.
    I live in the southern U.S., which gets stultifyingly hot (and stays that way), so--at least in summer--I'd prefer light and fresh.
    I like green and citrus-y smells. I find many florals cloying and oppressive, though I love the smell of fresh lavender. I tend to steer clear of patchouli and musk. Since I'm just looking for one, I'd be willing to spend up to about $60--though any recommendations for sample sources would be very welcome too!
    I like the idea of wearing something obscure/antique, though maybe the actual substances would be less appealing!
    Last edited by Captain Disgruntled; 26th May 2010 at 04:08 PM. Reason: *changed name of season--apparently I was thinking wishfully*

Default Re: 48-year-old woman seeks recommendation for daily scent!

Welcome to the forum! With green, citrus, and lavender being favorites, it sounds like you might find a lot to like in some old-school masculines and unisex colognes.

Three fragrances come to mind immediately to recommend...

Guerlain Jicky ( in eau de toilette or eau de parfum - the pure parfum is more rich than fresh )

A very historic, classic fragrance based around citrus and lavender. Great in hot weather and dates back to 1889.

Caron Pour Un Homme

Very pleasant lavender, lemon and tonka - wears lightly for a fougere, and is great in hot weather. Dates back to 1936.

Chanel No 19

Leafy green aldehydic classic - the youngest of this bunch, but very highly regarded. Dates back to 1971 - if you can get this in an older vintage, you're in for a treat.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Welcome on board, captain ... ai ai!

You're after fresh old-schoolers ... a bit to the obscure site, hmm?!

I'll second N°19, modern Eau de Parfum is my choise of juice - deee-licious!
    L'Air du Temps (1948) de Nina Ricci is a classic, which is perfect for daily use.
    You might wanna check out Miss Dior (1947) and Dioressence (1969) too.
    Last edited by Le Grand Duc; 17th May 2010 at 05:17 PM.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

This was exactly the one I was thinking of: "Caron Pour Un Homme

Very pleasant lavender, lemon and tonka - wears lightly for a fougere, and is great in hot weather. Dates back to 1936." Formerly Galamb_Borong
    We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men. ~Herman Melville

I wear L'Air de Temps sometimes and love it (mine is circa 1982), but I don't find it green or fresh, more light and airy floral, a bit powdery, with a prominent sexy wood/musk base. Yum, now I wish I'd worn it today!

I love green frags! Here are some of my favorites:

Le Temps d'Une Fete -- opens very green, blooms into a rich golden heady but fresh floral with a hay note underneath. Might be overpowering in very hot weather or if you hate florals, although it's not a very sweet floral.

Vent Vert -- green, green, green! Opens bracingly sharp, then softens, but green throughout.

Cabotine -- Lovely crushed fresh freen leaves and cut juicy ginger root. Try before you buy; some people HATE it.

Estee Lauder Private Collection -- lush green, well-blended and long-lasting. Gorgeous, smells incredibly luxurious.

Definitely try Chanel No. 19, Cristalle, and Cristalle Eau Verte.
    Last edited by Thalia; 17th May 2010 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thalia View Post
    I wear L'Air de Temps sometimes and love it (mine is circa 1982), but I don't find it green or fresh, more light and airy floral, a bit powdery, with a prominent sexy wood/musk base. Yum, now I wish I'd worn it today.
    True, but the lovely captain asked for something antique'ish,
    and L'Air du Temps sure is old ... no?!

Hillaire

Cristalle or Eau de Campagne are good ones to seek out at your department store.

Or you can buy Nicolai's Le Temps D'Une Fete online at Luckyscent for a good price.

I love all of the discontinued Jean Patou fragrances, which are still available here and there. I suspect that if the Cap'n sticks around us she'll soon discover that one scent is not enough!

Sampling is the best way to go to avoid getting stuck with "just one" that isn't the right one.
    Blog: www.perfumenw.blogspot.com
    Website: Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes http://orchidscents.com.

Try O de Lancome. It isn't expensive, widely available and a perfect summer scent. Light and citrusy. I love it.

Top contenders - green and old-fashioned in a good way:
    - Chanel No. 19
    - Chanel Cristalle eau de toilette (The eau de parfum is just not the same. And if you have a choice between new stock and something from a couple of years ago, get the older stuff.)
    - Balmain Ivoire. Lovely, green, soapy, intelligent-feminine Inexpensive from discounters.
    - Lancome Climat - Discontinued, but not too hard to find from the discounters.
    - Estee Lauder Jasmine White Moss. A nice old-fashioned-style green, sniffable in department stores.

Other good greens:
    - Issey Miyake A Scent - sweetish modernish green floral. Sniffable in department stores and absolutely worth a try.
    - Balmain Vent Vert. The new version is Perfectly Nice and I do recommend it, but it's the vintage version that's glorious. The new one is inexpensive from discounters.
    - Jo Malone White Jasmine & Mint - green, sparkly, mint, yum. Sniffable in some department stores.
    - Creed Original Vetiver - A men's fragrance; I don't know if you care? I don't. A nice friendly green vetiver. Available from discounters, but Creeds are widely counterfeited, so go with a trustworthy one.
    - I'd kind of like that other Cristalle flanker thingie if it didn't have the arrogance to name itself after Cristalle.

Not green but refreshing and not cloying:
    - Parfumerie Generale l'Eau Rare Matale and Harmatan Noir - glorious tea fragrances that I think of as fraternal twins. Expensive, though. Maybe decants?
    - ElizabethW Sweet Tea - might be too sweet, but it's so lovely and so inexpensive that it might be worth a blind buy. Samples are hard to get, but last I looked, the travel size was available from the ElizabethW web site for $20.
    - L'Artisan Parfumeur Fou d'Absinthe - Medicinal, in good way.
    - Hermes Hermessence Osmanthe Yunnan - Uncloying tea/floral, lovely in warm weather, boring sugar in cold weather, alarmingly expensive.

Oranges, because that's the only citrus I really like:
    - Robert Piguet Cravache - another men's fragrance, but nice. The lavender put me off, but you _like_ lavender. Give it a try.
    - Fendi Theorema - discontinued, but grab it if you see it. Lovely spicy-orange, more for winter than summer.
    - Caron Alpona - also discontinued. Very distinctive soapy/marmalade/animalic, worth a sniff, decants available from Perfumed Court.
    - Pacifica Tuscan Blood Orange solid (ignore the liquid) - available (online and Sephora) and cheap and lovely.
    - Strange Invisible Perfumes Fire & Cream - I'm starting to fall in love with this one, but I still can't describe it.
    - Hermes Terre d'Hermes and Eau d'Orange Verte - Nice enough, available heavily discounted, probably not the solution, but it's worth walking into a Sephora and giving them a sniff. Men's fragrances again.

Reverting to citrus in general, if I liked citrus I might still like:
    - Fresh Lemon Sugar - candy lemon. Probably too sweet, but fascinating and it's pretty easy to find a tester for a sniff.
    - Fresh Hesperides - I used to love this grapefruit fragrance, and then something happened to my nose and I didn't like it at all any more. But you might like it.
    - Annick Goutal Eau d'Hadrien - but I hear rumors about reformulation, so make sure you can return it if you don't like it, because a sample or tester may not be identical to the bottle you purchase.

Veering all the way to the wrong side for some fairly strong florals that are worth drowning in, sadly almost all requiring mailorder sample purchases to get a sniff unless you have a really good perfume seller nearby:
    - Parfumerie Generale Tubereuse Couture
    - Serge Lutens Tuberose Criminelle
    - Serge Lutens Un Lys
    - Serge Lutens A La Nuit
    - Parfums de Nicolai Number One

Hello, Captain Disgruntled! Adding my vote for Caron Pour Un Homme, Sisley Eau de Campagne, Nicolai Le Temps D'Une Fete, and Issey Miyake a scent.
    Last edited by Haunani; 18th May 2010 at 02:30 AM.

I agree that No. 19 could be perfect, but if you like "green tea" scents and are looking for something a little less costly than Chanel, you could try Kenzo Eau de Fleur de The. And if you don't mind hunting for something that's been discontinued, you might like Shiseido Murasaki. It's nowhere near as heavy as the packaging suggests.

Thank you all for your thoughtful suggestions!
    I have ordered samples of:
    both Miss Dior and Dioressence by Christian Dior for Women
    Eau D'Orange Verte by Hermes for Unisex
    Encre Noire by Lalique for Men
    Fendi (Relaunch) by Fendi for Women (not at all what I said I was looking for, but I had some a long time ago, and I think I liked it)
    Live Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent for Men
    by Christian Dior for Women
    Pour Un Homme by Caron for Men
    Pure Lavender by Azzaro for Men
    Tabac Original by Maurer (ditto!)
    Vetiver Guerlain by Guerlain for Men (I may also make an effort to try Creed's version too)
    from perfume-worldwide.com. Hmm, apparently I don't have a problem with considering a "mens" fragrance!
    I was initially a little annoyed; despite the info provided on their website that the cost of each sample, $2.99, included shipping, I was charged an additional $6 when I ordered. I still thought that was a reasonable total for this much experimentation! but today I received a refund of the shipping, which suggests that someone's paying attention and left me with more positive feelings.
    So! We'll see how many of these fragrances leave me feeling positive. Thanks again!

p.s.--I am seeing a number of posts that urge people to look for "vintage" versions of scents. I am quite confused by this--are you saying that these will be wearable even several years after the bottles are open? I've had fragrances "turn" on me after a year or so (I thought they began to smell like formaldehyde). I make no representation of initial quality of the product, and I have no idea what formula (EdC, EdT, etc.) they were. Can you offer any general guidelines?
    Last edited by Captain Disgruntled; 18th May 2010 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Disgruntled View Post
    I have ordered samples of both
    Miss Dior and Dioressence
    by Christian Dior for Women

p.s.--I am seeing a number of posts that urge people to look for "vintage" versions of scents. I am quite confused by this--are you saying that these will be wearable even several years after the bottles are open? I've had fragrances "turn" on me after a year or so (I thought they began to smell like formaldehyde). I make no representation of initial quality of the product, and I have no idea what formula (EdC, EdT, etc.) they were. Can you offer any general guidelines?
    Most vintage, or maybe only 2 years old formulations, are better in strenght and overall smell
    than the recent one. Frags keep being changed in the smallest of ways, therefor, if one fall in
    love with a vintage parfume, then one will almost always be dissapointed when one buy a modern.

Parfum can last forever, if kept under the right conditions, and dark brown parfum from the
    glorious days of the 60s and 70s, are almost always still superb. Of course, some will have gone
    rancid, but many will still be as potent and gorgeous as ever!

It's dangerous to use a vintage formulation of anything before using the modern ditto,
    one will almost always crave that exact vintage smell!
    Last edited by Le Grand Duc; 19th May 2010 at 02:27 PM.

Cap'n Disgruntled, you've ordered some great samples. Enjoy, and I hope you'll find some new favorites.

A couple more suggestions. I know, I'm late to the party, but in case you'd like a few more to add to your list:

Paco Rabanne's Calandre

Dior's Eau Sauvage

Annick Goutal's Le Chèvrefeuille.

Thanks again!
    Got two packages of samples this week--yippee! I received nine of the ten I ordered from perfume-worldwide.com (they did not send Dioressence) as well as Czech & Speake's sample set (which is beautifully presented).
    However--so far I've been rather disappointed. My favourite scent so far is probably Eau D'Orange Verte by Hermes, which didn't strike me as anything special; I've tried No. 88 and Citrus Paradisi from C&S. No. 88 was fine, but Citrus Paradisi was downright disagreeable on me. I got a brisk sharp shot of grapefruit, and then almost immediately it sank into something downright murky: I was reminded of a hideous glob of decomposing algae I once fished out of a drainage creek when I was 10. Funky, dank, and nasty.
    Not exactly what I was looking for . . .

Keep at it! When I started sampling, I was lucky to like one fragrance out of ten. As I learned more about the notes that I liked, and more importantly the notes that could single-handedly ruin a scent for me no matter what else was good about it, my hit rate got much, much higher.

I absolutely hated Citrus Paradisi!
    A few more for you to try if you are around a Sephora:
    Guerlain Shalimar Eau Legere is citrusy and light, and despite the vanilla -fresh. I like it a lot and I think it would be apropriate in an office.

Bulgari- Green Tea, White Tea, Red Tea. Poor longevity on me but I think they are so nice in the summer.

Guerlain Terracotta-it is discontinued but not imposible to find. It is floral but I think it has the potential to change your mind about flowers.

Iris fragrances are great in the hot weather too. Prada Infusion d'iris is available in many stores and it can give you an idea whether you like iris or not.

Let us know when you find your future perfume(s).

I absolutely hated Citrus Paradisi!
    Ohthankyou!! I was shocked--the description sounded lovely, and I adore grapefruit: love the way it smells, love grapefruit juice, love fresh grapefruit--but this departed alarmingly quickly leaving me with the aforementioned dank aquatic. Is that the indoles (?) I'm getting?

Caron's Pour un Homme: I had high hopes for this one, but I didn't get lavender or lemon from this at all. It smelled to me like a high-end toiletry product for babies.

Live Jazz: meh. I wore Benetton's Colors for Men ages ago--this reminded me a lot of that.

Encre Noire: topnotes very fugitive; midnotes unimpressive. Faintly sour. Conventional men's fragrance.

Eau D'Orange Verte: the crispest of the lot. Something in the midnotes reminded me of walking into an Indian grocery--maybe cardamom? I liked that (it's also present to varying degrees in Origin's Ginger) but this fragrance settled into something sweeter than I wanted.

No. 88: Little more patchouli than my ideal, but pleasant.

Bewilderingly, the one I've been most impressed with is Cuba.
    I love the basenotes member descriptions of it, both positive and negative. I'm afraid several chapters of those narratives are absent for me, but I do find this a nicely dimensional smell. It makes me think of something my grandfather would have worn, though I don't remember if he ever did actually wear scent. I'm not sure this is something I want to wear--I may force it on my husband . . .
    Several members commented on the "dirty" aspect of this fragrance, but--aside from a brief hint of ashtray--I'm not getting that at all, which I think is weird given my reaction to Citrus Paradisi.

My mother had L'Air du Temps when I was a kid. Nice, but I'm not sure I want to smell like my mom in the 60s.

Chanel No. 19 is sounding better and better . . .

And Cristalle! Don't forget Cristalle! (The EDT.)

It's like No. 19's younger, bubblier, more affable sister.

Edited to add: But not sweet. It's still very crisp.
    Last edited by ChickenFreak; 26th May 2010 at 06:21 PM.

LOL--aight, ChickenFreak, duly noted!

Oh, but it is good, madame, damn good.
    Too bad you didn't get that Dioressence!

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    Welcome to the forum! With green, citrus, and lavender being favorites, it sounds like you might find a lot to like in some old-school masculines and unisex colognes.

Three fragrances come to mind immediately to recommend...

Guerlain Jicky ( in eau de toilette or eau de parfum - the pure parfum is more rich than fresh )

A very historic, classic fragrance based around citrus and lavender. Great in hot weather and dates back to 1889.

Caron Pour Un Homme

Very pleasant lavender, lemon and tonka - wears lightly for a fougere, and is great in hot weather. Dates back to 1936.

Chanel No 19

Leafy green aldehydic classic - the youngest of this bunch, but very highly regarded. Dates back to 1971 - if you can get this in an older vintage, you're in for a treat.
    I second all of these and also wish to add Infusion d'Iris by Prada. A safe work scent.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel

Ohthankyou!! I was shocked--the description sounded lovely, and I adore grapefruit: love the way it smells, love grapefruit juice, love fresh grapefruit--but this departed alarmingly quickly leaving me with the aforementioned dank aquatic. Is that the indoles (?) I'm getting?
    I am guessing it's civet. Usually I don't like grapefruit in perfumes but this combination was the worst!

Try Escale à Portofino from Dior.

Get the 19, get the 19, get the 19. I only wished I was a boardroom diva so I could pull this one off in public. It is to die for.

Un Jardin en Mediterranee by Hermes
    Diorella by Christian Dior
    Youth Dew Ambre Nude by Estee Lauder
    Tea Rose by Perfumer's Workshop
    Bal A Versailles by Jean Desprez
    Habanita by Molinard