Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Vetiver + florals

I am wearing Vetiver by Mazzolari today for the 1st time, and I just realized how much I enjoy a floral prominent vetiver fragrance, especially one like this that's blended just perfectly!

Another floral prominent vetiver fragrance I own is Sycomore by Chanel. I wore it this weekend, to dinner with my in-laws...it's such a calming, sophisticated scent. It's a bit more formal than the Mazzolari, which I could see wearing on the weekends, etc. The Chanel is just a modern classic IMO.

Of course, there's also Vetiver Pour Elle by Guerlain - but I am not as fond of that as I expected to be. Atleast on my skin, the jasmine and white floral element just smells a bit too synthetic to me, it actually gives me a slight headache when I wear it.

Are there any other floral vetivers? Encre Noire Pour Elle by Lalique? Bal d'Afrique by Byredo? Vetiver Dance by Tauer? I've never smelled these...
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 17th May 2010 at 04:54 PM.

Default Re: Vetiver + florals

I'd love a very dark, natural jasmine paired with vetiver. However, I suspect the accord I'm smelling in my mind lives in my imagination alone.

I recently got a bottle of Tom Ford Grey Vetiver. It mentions orange flower as one of the notes. A bottle worthy vetiver IMO.

Definitely some nice florals in Tauer Vetiver Dance (orange blossom and jasmine, to my nose). Almost too floral for my taste, though.

I'd love to find something similar to Vetiver Pour Elle, it's perfect IMO, if not a little expensive.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Good question, Mike.
    Personally I prefer Vetiver pour Elle Guerlain, and I feel some white flowers too (lily-of-the-walley).
    Some flowery vibe I detect in Vetiver Creed (1947) and it`s been twice when others mentioned it as feminine perfume when I wear it. I believe it`s translucent jasmine+LOTW thing that smells alike hedione. The same hedione thing is in Eau Sauvage Dior and Vetiver by Adolfo Dominguez.
    And I do remember some good frags on the theme in Soivohle range - Underworld, Bloody Orange & Vetiver, and some Natural vetiver-based cologne (it was the best for me but now discontinued)

I`ve never felt any flowers in my favourite Les Exclusifs Chanel Sycomore (and press-releases never mentioned it, as far as I could recall). Please, give me an idea - what flower do you mean?

Encre Noir pour Elle is more of flowers and musks, vetiver is too hidden for me to love it.

And I am sure that Djedi has flowery notes too (LOTW (hydroxy), ylang, iris butter and rose), but would not recommend as it`s rare beast.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Gelsomino For Women

My favorite vetiver, Il Profumo's Vetiver de Java, is a very complex floral/woody composition. Lavender and rose give it a lilting beauty before the spices and woods develop in the base. The progression of the notes is so wonderfully smooth, anchored all the while by a very high quality vetiver.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    Splits: O'driu, La Via del Profumo/AbdesSalaam Attar, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I am wearing Vetiver by Mazzolari today for the 1st time, and I just realized how much I enjoy a floral prominent vetiver fragrance, especially one like this that's blended just perfectly!
    Finally, another convert! I have been touting this glorious scent for over a year at least. Isn't it lovely? I don't think there is any other as beautiful. There are other great vetivers, such as Vetiver Extraordinare, but it isn't floral as this one. The good thing about it is you can own it and wear it with impunity. You won't get tired of it!

edit: Try Derby reissue, & Sous les Vent, too!
    Last edited by kumquat; 18th May 2010 at 01:54 PM.

Someone needs to make a fragrance called Vetiver Tuberose.

That is my delusional thought of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by strifeknot View Post
    My favorite vetiver, Il Profumo's Vetiver de Java, is a very complex floral/woody composition. Lavender and rose give it a lilting beauty before the spices and woods develop in the base. The progression of the notes is so wonderfully smooth, anchored all the while by a very high quality vetiver.
    Seems like I will have to add this to my test list or perhaps even directly to my wish list ;-)

I cannot detect any florals in Sycomore on me, it`s so dry and spicy on my skin! I think it`s the driest vetiver that I`ve ever tested until today. But Vetiver pour elle is really a great white florals and vetiver scent.

I don`t detect vetiver on encre noire pour elle, this one to me has more of a cotton sour rose vibe over a musky base than a vetiver aura.

I also detect vetiver and flowers in eau sauvage fraicheur cuir...

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    Seems like I will have to add this to my test list or perhaps even directly to my wish list ;-)
    Ditto this! And the Mazzolari. Thanks for this thread.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    I recently got a bottle of Tom Ford Grey Vetiver. It mentions orange flower as one of the notes. A bottle worthy vetiver IMO.
    Well, here's the thing: there are a ton of vetiver scents with florals listed in the notes, and yet you cannot smell the florals at all. Grey Vetiver is one of them, IMO. It's just clean vetiver. Nice, but not what I think I'm looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    I'd love a very dark, natural jasmine paired with vetiver. However, I suspect the accord I'm smelling in my mind lives in my imagination alone.
    I know what you mean A.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2003 View Post
    Definitely some nice florals in Tauer Vetiver Dance (orange blossom and jasmine, to my nose). Almost too floral for my taste, though.
    OK, good to know. I have a sample vial sitting on my desk at home...I'll have to wear it this week.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I'd love to find something similar to Vetiver Pour Elle, it's perfect IMO, if not a little expensive.
    Well, I really wanted to like VPE mtg...but, it just is not clicking with me.

Basenotes Plus

Chanel No.19 does the florals over vetiver thing for me... But mimosa vetiver could be something that would pique my interest.

And speaking of numbered Chanels, No 22 is actually kind of smoky and green. You get the aldehydes, florals and incensey vetiver. I like it a lot, but it might just be venturing too far away from "vetiver" territory.
    Last edited by tott; 18th May 2010 at 04:46 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post
    Good question, Mike.
    Personally I prefer Vetiver pour Elle Guerlain, and I feel some white flowers too (lily-of-the-walley).
    Some flowery vibe I detect in Vetiver Creed (1947) and it`s been twice when others mentioned it as feminine perfume when I wear it. I believe it`s translucent jasmine+LOTW thing that smells alike hedione. The same hedione thing is in Eau Sauvage Dior and Vetiver by Adolfo Dominguez.
    And I do remember some good frags on the theme in Soivohle range - Underworld, Bloody Orange & Vetiver, and some Natural vetiver-based cologne (it was the best for me but now discontinued)

I`ve never felt any flowers in my favourite Les Exclusifs Chanel Sycomore (and press-releases never mentioned it, as far as I could recall). Please, give me an idea - what flower do you mean?

Encre Noir pour Elle is more of flowers and musks, vetiver is too hidden for me to love it.

And I am sure that Djedi has flowery notes too (LOTW (hydroxy), ylang, iris butter and rose), but would not recommend as it`s rare beast.
    I've only smelled Creed's Original Vetiver, I think you are mentioning the other one right? I didn't know it was floral. The 3 Soivohle scents I sampled I really didn't like at all...so I'm not sure if her vetiver offerings would impress me, but I'll keep my eyes open for them.

Yes, Sycomore has a definite floral presence on my skin - perhaps I would call it a creamy violet / lily of the valley sort of floral note. It hits my nose after I breath in the scent, almost like an olfactory aftertaste.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Gelsomino For Women
    I've never heard of this one. Thanks!

I remember hearing about this a bit, but I never researched it at all. It sounds great. The Il Profumo line is one I haven't given much attention to, I must admit, except for that chocolate one...

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Finally, another convert! I have been touting this glorious scent for over a year at least. Isn't it lovely? I don't think there is any other as beautiful. There are other great vetivers, such as Vetiver Extraordinare, but it isn't floral as this one. The good thing about it is you can own it and wear it with impunity. You won't get tired of it!

Yes, it really perked up my nose...I can't wait to skin test it again. Pricey stuff, but it sounds like it's worth it. I am also a fan of Vetiver Extraordinaire, but IMO that one is such a different vetiver animal. That ozonic note, combined with the sheer strength of the vetiver concentration, really sets it apart.

I love Derby and Sous Le Vent, but honestly the vetiver in both is lost on my skin.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 18th May 2010 at 09:20 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    I know. Jo Malone, get to it!

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    I don`t detect vetiver on encre noire pour elle, this one to me has more of a cotton sour rose vibe over a musky base than a vetiver aura.
    I also detect vetiver and flowers in eau sauvage fraicheur cuir...
    That's what I thought. Cotton sour rose...sounds like Paestum Rose by Eau d'Italie.

I like ESFC, but to me the scent (when I tested it) was all about the citrus and the leather.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Chanel No.19 does the florals over vetiver thing for me....
    I fell in love with some vintage EdP of No. 19 that a generous Basenoter sent me. Now I'm eager to smell the parfum, maybe it's even more vetiver prominent.

Blog Entries

How do you like S. Lutens Vetiver Oriental? IMO it's another luscious vetiver; quite creamy in texture.

The ultimate vetiver-floral combo is the REFORMULATED Route du Vetiver. Jasmin and earthy vetiver. In the original formulation the jasmin is part of the composition. In the new version it is a star player, to the point that IMO it should have been released as Fleur du Vetiver. No other frgrance that I have tried pairs vetiver with such a strong floral note.
    Encre Noire pou Elle for me is just a watered down version of Lalique Le Parfum, nothing to do with Encre Noire.

Quote Originally Posted by cpk View Post
    The ultimate vetiver-floral combo is the REFORMULATED Route du Vetiver. Jasmin and earthy vetiver. In the original formulation the jasmin is part of the composition. In the new version it is a star player, to the point that IMO it should have been released as Fleur du Vetiver. No other frgrance that I have tried pairs vetiver with such a strong floral note.
    Wow, all of a sudden this has a strong appeal - I'd been avoiding it due to talk of it being tragically reformulated, but I've never smelled the original or the current version.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    Wow, all of a sudden this has a strong appeal - I'd been avoiding it due to talk of it being tragically reformulated, but I've never smelled the original or the current version.
    Quite frankly the refomulated version is unique but in a comletely different way than the old version. The confusion with the same name gave the new version a very bad and unworthy publicity. Imagine waiting for wet earth and being slapped in the face by florals.... No matter how good they are it is quite anticlimactic.
    Last edited by cpk; 19th May 2010 at 07:38 PM.

Rosine´s Rose d´Homme is rose and vetiver to me. The vetiver is both soapy and harsh, and it smells very masculine to me.
    Last edited by pelle; 19th May 2010 at 07:52 PM.
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Encre Noire pou Elle for me is just a watered down version of Lalique Le Parfum, nothing to do with Encre Noire.
    Quite frankly the refomulated version is unique but in a comletely different way than the old version. The confusion with the same name gave the new version a very bad and unworthy publicity. Imagine waiting for wet earth and being slapped in the face by florals.... No matter how good they are it is quite anticlimactic.
    I agree with you that the reformulated RdV is heavily loaded with Jasmine thereby making it different from its original formulation. The 'rooty accord' of the original is toned down several notches, if not missing entirely. Great suggestion, if someone is looking for a floral vetiver.
    You are right once again that the reformulated RdV gets bad publicity due to the inevitable comparisons made with the original RdV, but if this is evaluated in its own light it's a great fragrance. I too have been blurred by it because I absolutely loved the original RdV and can't accept what they made it out of it.

My favourite floral vetiver still remains, Guerlain Vetiver pour Elle.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post

You shed some light here on my thoughts.
    There should be some frags already!!!
    There`s Miroir de Miroir serie by Thierry Mugler - and some frags in their list has tuberose+absinthe+vetiver and another has quinine+vetiver+powder-flower.

And also in EgoFacto line - tuberose+vetiver.
    Sorry, forgot the names.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    And speaking of numbered Chanels, No 22 is actually kind of smoky and green. You get the aldehydes, florals and incensey vetiver. I like it a lot, but it might just be venturing too far away from "vetiver" territory.
    I am starting to love No. 22 - someone gave me some vintage EdP and some 'new' EdT and both are really interesting to me, even though I am usually aldehyde-phobic. I think it's the crisp green-ness of it, that I am enjoying. I must admit though, I find the vetiver in both very toned down.

How do you like S. Lutens Vetiver Oriental? IMO it's another luscious vetiver; quite creamy in texture.
    I loved Vetiver Oriental when I sampled it, but the scent is so heavy and sweet, it seems as if the florals are buried underneath creamy, sweet woods. Nice for about a month or two here in sunny Miami, but I can't imagine wearing this a lot. But thanks for reminder, I need to get a decant of this, one of these days.

Thanks cpk. I am a BIG fan of the vintage Route du Vetiver and I have totally avoided the 'new' juice because I'd heard it was tweaked beyond recognition. Now, I am interested, because it might now be what I'm looking for when it comes to a light floral vetiver. Thanks!

I do not like Lalique EdP, so it sounds like ENPE is not what I'm looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by pelle View Post
    Rosine´s Rose d´Homme is rose and vetiver to me. The vetiver is both soapy and harsh, and it smells very masculine to me.
    I still have not tried RdH yet pelle - thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post
    You shed some light here on my thoughts.
    There should be some frags already!!!
    There`s Miroir de Miroir serie by Thierry Mugler - and some frags in their list has tuberose+absinthe+vetiver and another has quinine+vetiver+powder-flower.

And also in EgoFacto line - tuberose+vetiver.
    Sorry, forgot the names.
    I tried the Mugler tuberose one...and I could not smell any vetiver in it at all. Just lot's of metallic florals! I think it's Through The Looking Glass...

And I don't see a tuberose/vetiver in the Ego Facto line.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 24th May 2010 at 04:16 PM.

Do try the new Derby. This is floral but not *too* floral, with a leather/vetiver on the bottom.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I tried the Mugler tuberose one...and I could not smell any vetiver in it at all. Just lot's of metallic florals! I think it's Through The Looking Glass...

And I don't see a tuberose/vetiver in the Ego Facto line.
    Mike,
    here it is:
    EgoFacto - Me, Myself & I (Jean & Aurelien Guichard, 2009). Tuberose, hemlock flower, vetiver, tonka, musks.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Manoumalia by Sandrine Videault for LesNez has a strong vetiver note along with a creamy, tropical bouquet of fagraea (a gardenia-tiaré type blossom), ylang-ylang and tiaré, on a sandalwood and amber base. It's an utterly gorgeous, unusual fragrance and I can't recommend it enough.

Basenotes Institution

Thanks for all of these new suggestions. Lot's to try!

Mike, have you tried ELdO's Delicious Closet Queen? Violets, iris and rose over Haitian vetiver.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    Mike, have you tried ELdO's Delicious Closet Queen? Violets, iris and rose over Haitian vetiver.
    Not yet. Added to the list!

As I`m wearing Vetiver by Adolfo Dominguez today, I feel like it is flowery (jasmine + LOTV) vetiver.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Basenotes Institution

Would Modoc by Xerjoff qualify as a vetiver/floral scent?

Would Modoc by Xerjoff qualify as a vetiver/floral scent?
    I would definitely consider this a vetiver floral. The Haitain veritver in this mixes with the artemisia, Florentine iris, orange flowers giving a woody floral scent.

I'm surprised nobody has yet mentioned Timbuktu by L'Artisan. It's all about floral vetiver. The floral note is refreshingly abstract (does anybody know what karo karounde smells like, anyway?), but the overall effect is lovely, if a bit on the formal side. It's one of my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by andylama View Post
    I'm surprised nobody has yet mentioned Timbuktu by L'Artisan. It's all about floral vetiver. The floral note is refreshingly abstract (does anybody know what karo karounde smells like, anyway?), but the overall effect is lovely, if a bit on the formal side. It's one of my favorites.
    I do.

The closest thing I've smelled to karo karounde in an easily accesible fragrance is the dirty-floral notes in Tabu's heart. Karo karounde has sort of a creamy-dirty floral smell smell with a weird, slightly mustardy edge. It might be in Timbuktu, but it's overshadowed by the spicy mango accord to my nose ( Timbuktu is quite nice, though, it just doesn't last on my skin ).
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 2nd June 2010 at 08:46 PM.

I too was surprised that Timbuktu hadn't been mentioned.

I am not sure what Karo Karuonde smells like but its definitely floral with vetiver and incense.

for swap/sale:

What about Onda EDP?

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Majmua 96, vetiver blended with 2 flowers in it, screwpine and kadam flower.
    Timbuktu is excellent too.

Basenotes Institution

I already like Timbuktu, but I really don't think of it as a vetiver/floral scent, rather to me it's an exotic incense scent.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I already like Timbuktu, but I really don't think of it as a vetiver/floral scent, rather to me it's an exotic incense scent.
    Smells like vinegar to me.

How about 28 La Pausa? Sort of a tidy vetiver with iris & florals. More on-point - Me, Myself & I by Ego Facto.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    Smells like vinegar to me.

How about 28 La Pausa? Sort of a tidy vetiver with iris & florals. More on-point - Me, Myself & I by Ego Facto.
    28 La Pausa is nice, but it's SO iris prominent on my skin the vetiver is sort of pushed to the back. Sort of the reverse of No. 19 EdP.

That Ego Facto has been on my To Test list for a while now. I remember Octavian calling it 'extremely original'. Will try!
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle