Code of Conduct

Default Everything is starting to smell the same!

AHHHHH! I dunno what's happening, maybe it's a message? It seems like all of the gourmands I've been coming across lately reflect one another, all of the citrus frags, all of the lavenders smell alike. I was wearing Drakkar Noir the other day, and was at the mall and smelled CK Be which some how rmeinded me of DN. I just made 3 blind buys. One of them was Rykiel Man (which I bought based on the reviews) it doesn't smell bad but it smells like Halston Unbound to me. Cuba Black.. another blind buy.. it smells like Azzaro pH to me. I bought Ambre by Balessarini and it smells like Carlos Santana.

It's getting tiring, as much as I love fragrances.. I may move on to candles or flowers or something since it seems like I've smelled everything. I mean I could think of several amazing scents that I have yet to find in a fragrance and don't think I will ever find. How about some new gourmands? Why is every gourmand a reflection of A*Men and Rochas Man? Chocolate, vanilla, mint, sugar, odds and ends, many that give off this baked bread smell. why are there no gourmands that smell like bread pudding? Why are there no gourmands that smell like cheesecake? Or buttercream? Or caramel or peanut butter? Why are there no fragrances that reflect the smell of certain soaps or deodorants? Why does everything have to smell similar to each other? I've never seen "Rykiel" brand in a department store which is what encourages me to buy it as well. I do want something that nobody really knows about; I'm willing to take the gamble of a blind buy -- thus far most of my blind buys have been good but nothing extraordinary. It's frustrating

Sorry to complain, but it helps to let loose amongst people here who may understand me rather than a friend who doesn't even know what bergamont is.

Default Re: Everything is starting to smell the same!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    AHHHHH! I dunno what's happening, maybe it's a message? It seems like all of the gourmands I've been coming across lately reflect one another, all of the citrus frags, all of the lavenders smell alike. I was wearing Drakkar Noir the other day, and was at the mall and smelled CK Be which some how rmeinded me of DN. I just made 3 blind buys. One of them was Rykiel Man (which I bought based on the reviews) it doesn't smell bad but it smells like Halston Unbound to me. Cuba Black.. another blind buy.. it smells like Azzaro pH to me. I bought Ambre by Balessarini and it smells like Carlos Santana.

It's getting tiring, as much as I love fragrances.. I may move on to candles or flowers or something since it seems like I've smelled everything. I mean I could think of several amazing scents that I have yet to find in a fragrance and don't think I will ever find. How about some new gourmands? Why is every gourmand a reflection of A*Men and Rochas Man? Chocolate, vanilla, mint, sugar, odds and ends, many that give off this baked bread smell. why are there no gourmands that smell like bread pudding? Why are there no gourmands that smell like cheesecake? Or buttercream? Or caramel or peanut butter? Why are there no fragrances that reflect the smell of certain soaps or deodorants? Why does everything have to smell similar to each other? I've never seen "Rykiel" brand in a department store which is what encourages me to buy it as well. I do want something that nobody really knows about; I'm willing to take the gamble of a blind buy -- thus far most of my blind buys have been good but nothing extraordinary. It's frustrating

Sorry to complain, but it helps to let loose amongst people here who may understand me rather than a friend who doesn't even know what bergamont is.
    Well, this frustration is what moved me to explore niche fragrances. There`s a point that you start to see that you`ve tried so many fragrances that you can pick their similarties and you start to understand that a lot of fragrances are just reorchestrating ideas of the same theme. The mass market section, specially in the men`s side, doesn`t want to take risks, to produce groundbreaking fragrances specially because they`re profit-driven, and inovation is not always profitable, so it`s more safe to use something that was already proved as successful and only change it slightly, focusing on a beautiful and attractive bottle and in a big publicity that use celebritys and sells ideas and dreams instead of frags. I`d just point that this doesn`t mean that you`ll never see groundbreaking fragrances in mass market again, but I have an impression that we`re in a moment that this is not going to happen so soon. And even in the niche fragrances you start to see some crisis if launches that seems like upscale ideas of commercial fragrances.

For an interesting gourmand, if I can suggest you one that I truly love, try Ambre Narguile from Hermés. If you like gourmand fragrances it`s almost certain that you`ll love this one. It has a spiced apple syrup honey thing that is mouthwatering.

Yeah, I'm smelling Rochas Man in some "new" frags these days like Hot Water.
    There is no love in modern life
    There is no hope in modern life

I get this feeling too and, although it is hard to now list all the fragrance titles prone to this, I do remember that when I was on a massive testing spree, there were niche fragrances so similar to several designer frags and vice-versa, that I ended up really incapable to perceive any significant difference, not just in terms of notes and/or strictly the smell, but also lasting power and projection

A friend of mine of mine several years ago went through just about every cologne at Nordstrom's. This poor girl helped him try frags for over an hour. He even stopped and mistakenly ate some of the coffee beans in the jar! Know what he ended up buying and using as a signature scent for the last several years? Subtil...
    There is no love in modern life
    There is no hope in modern life

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    Well, this frustration is what moved me to explore niche fragrances. There`s a point that you start to see that you`ve tried so many fragrances that you can pick their similarties and you start to understand that a lot of fragrances are just reorchestrating ideas of the same theme. The mass market section, specially in the men`s side, doesn`t want to take risks, to produce groundbreaking fragrances specially because they`re profit-driven, and inovation is not always profitable, so it`s more safe to use something that was already proved as successful and only change it slightly, focusing on a beautiful and attractive bottle and in a big publicity that use celebritys and sells ideas and dreams instead of frags. I`d just point that this doesn`t mean that you`ll never see groundbreaking fragrances in mass market again, but I have an impression that we`re in a moment that this is not going to happen so soon. And even in the niche fragrances you start to see some crisis if launches that seems like upscale ideas of commercial fragrances.

For an interesting gourmand, if I can suggest you one that I truly love, try Ambre Narguile from Hermés. If you like gourmand fragrances it`s almost certain that you`ll love this one. It has a spiced apple syrup honey thing that is mouthwatering.
    Ambre Narguile sounds good, I didn't know Hermes did any gourmands. I really do enjoy the structure of most of their fragrances. And everything you said before that made perfect sense, but it is frustrating; niche fragrances are out of my price range at the moment. A couple samples here and there. A lot of the Bond frags I'd like to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    I get this feeling too and, although it is hard to now list all the fragrance titles prone to this, I do remember that when I was on a massive testing spree, there were niche fragrances so similar to several designer frags and vice-versa, that I ended up really incapable to perceive any significant difference, not just in terms of notes and/or strictly the smell, but also lasting power and projection
    Ya that too, many niche frags that I have tried are strikingly close to EDT's or colognes. Then I figure.. "well screw this niche frag when there's a cologne that's 1/10th of the price" They may last longer, because a lot of the niche are perfumes and not EDT's or colognes, however I notice many perfumes to be skin scents with little to no projection. The niche market is more of a gamble than the mass market.

Ambre Narguile sounds good, I didn't know Hermes did any gourmands. I really do enjoy the structure of most of their fragrances. And everything you said before that made perfect sense, but it is frustrating; niche fragrances are out of my price range at the moment. A couple samples here and there. A lot of the Bond frags I'd like to try.
    I understand you, and i wish that this wasn't the situation. There are to gourmandish fragrances from the Hermés line, and both in the exclusive line. The other one is Vetiver Tonka, that to me has a toasted nutty caramel opening that develops to a vetiver that is intermediate, not so smoky, but not so green too. I have interesting in trying the New Harleem from Bond Nº9, but they say that this one is similar to Rochas Man too, so I never really tried hard to get a sample of it. I enjoyed from Bond So New York, that has an interesting plum and coffee aroma.
    One interesting gourmand that i'd recommend you is Aomassai from Parfumerie Generale. This one has a roasted nut smell matched with something like caramel sugar that completely turn into a dry wood accord.
    Another alternative that you have, instead of going niche, is going to the other aisle and trying some feminine frags. But I think this is hard because you told that you don't have interesting on feminine frags. I respect that, but I tell you that you may surprise yourself and end finding some feminine fragrances that you like. A hard to find example is Gloria from Cacharel, a great almond and vanilla liqueur. It's one of my favorites and I never found something similar on the male side. I don't say that you should wear all feminine frags, but trying them will not kill you. You can even try them at home, whithout people's influence, to see what you may like.

Ya that too, many niche frags that I have tried are strikingly close to EDT's or colognes. Then I figure.. "well screw this niche frag when there's a cologne that's 1/10th of the price" They may last longer, because a lot of the niche are perfumes and not EDT's or colognes, however I notice many perfumes to be skin scents with little to no projection. The niche market is more of a gamble than the mass market.
    You must note that there are many people that don't want their frags to speak loud, and I have an impression that many niche fragrances are designed to that kind of costumer, that wants soft fragrances that try to go in an airy way. I used to dislike these ones, but today I can see that they have their portion on my collection. And you can notice also that you don't have as much lasting power as the old ones.

You can perceive it a gamble only if you only try some niche houses and some fragrances. As mass-market, you must dig for gold. I never found, for example, any similar to Red Aoud, to Aomassai, to Un Crime Exotique, to Nomad Tea from Comme des Garcons, to Bois d'Armenie from Guerlain, to Chinatown, to Serge Noire and to many other niche fragrances. It's an mistaken analysis, is the equivalent of saying that the mass market cannot produce interesting fragrances anymore, which is not true at all.

I cannot really undestand why people always tends to the opposites. Why not matching female, male, niche, mass market, from manufacturers, copies? I don't see boundaries to me as a fragrance connoisseur and i really try to overthrow if i detect on me something like this.

I understand you, and i wish that this wasn't the situation. There are to gourmandish fragrances from the Hermés line, and both in the exclusive line. The other one is Vetiver Tonka, that to me has a toasted nutty caramel opening that develops to a vetiver that is intermediate, not so smoky, but not so green too. I have interesting in trying the New Harleem from Bond Nº9, but they say that this one is similar to Rochas Man too, so I never really tried hard to get a sample of it. I enjoyed from Bond So New York, that has an interesting plum and coffee aroma.
    One interesting gourmand that i'd recommend you is Aomassai from Parfumerie Generale. This one has a roasted nut smell matched with something like caramel sugar that completely turn into a dry wood accord.
    Another alternative that you have, instead of going niche, is going to the other aisle and trying some feminine frags. But I think this is hard because you told that you don't have interesting on feminine frags. I respect that, but I tell you that you may surprise yourself and end finding some feminine fragrances that you like. A hard to find example is Gloria from Cacharel, a great almond and vanilla liqueur. It's one of my favorites and I never found something similar on the male side. I don't say that you should wear all feminine frags, but trying them will not kill you. You can even try them at home, whithout people's influence, to see what you may like.
    True, I'm not totally opposed to womens frags. I tried Piment des Baies by Miller Harris; it ended up smelling like lemon sugar cookies and was more uni (but did open up more feminine). It's actually bottle worthy to me. It's just not within arms reach to try a lot of these things and the prices are usually through the roof. Of course niche frags can take more of a risk in doing something different, but they get reimbursed with the huge prices we pay. I'd actually really like to go to France or Italiy, even NYC.. where a lot of these niche perfumers are located and just walk in and go crazy!

I wish so bad that the Hermessences were not so ridiculously overpriced. I am not even going to sample these until I have enough money to buy a FB because I know I will just love one or two, I like most of what Hermes offers. I really don't understand how a Eau de Toilette can retail at 235 dollars, even the Chanel Les Exclusives are less than that and are double the size. It really kind of turned me off to Hermes in general. Anyway, I guess that is another story altogether. If you like Gourmands, you should try Bois Farine by L'artisan. It smells exactly like someone mixed up a bag of Flour in a jar of peanut butter. I don't know if I would like to wear this alone, but if you layer it with pretty much any vanilla scent or something like that, it is pretty amazing.
    I'm not your toy.

Dependent

I have gone through a similar situation in the past. So now, instead of blind buying 4-5 so-so, mainstream-smelling scents, one could spend the amount on a more specific, niche scent that caters more closely to one's preference and taste. Just be a little more selective and patient about the process.

Btw, Red Aoud, Aomassai and Bois Farine as mentioned earlier by others, are among my favorite gourmand scents, and they are uniquely presented.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    I have gone through a similar situation in the past. So now, instead of blind buying 4-5 so-so, mainstream-smelling scents, one could spend the amount on a more specific, niche scent that caters more closely to one's preference and taste. Just be a little more selective and patient about the process.

Btw, Red Aoud, Aomassai and Bois Farine as mentioned earlier by others, are among my favorite gourmand scents, and they are uniquely presented.
    Red Aoud is my favorite aoud gourmand. The second one is at this moment vanille oud from micallef, a warm agarwood balanced by a creamy vanilla. Great for winter days I think.

Dependent

Red Aoud is my favorite aoud gourmand. The second one is at this moment vanille oud from micallef, a warm agarwood balanced by a creamy vanilla. Great for winter days I think.
    YES! Vanille Aoud is pretty amazing huh! It's really sweet, but really good for my sweet-tooth. Has more character than Un Bois Vanille which shares the same caramel/vanilla vibe, but without the oud. I do wear and enjoy them both though, when the weather isn't too warm.
    Last edited by MFJ; 18th May 2010 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    YES! Vanille Aoud is pretty amazing huh! It's really sweet, but really good for my sweet-tooth. Has more character than Un Bois Vanille, which shares the same caramel/vanilla vibe, but without the oud. I do wear and enjoy them both though, when the weather isn't too warm.
    I think it has something in common with un bois vanille too, you`re right that they have the same caramel/vanilla vibe, but the addition of oud made it cozier to me. I really need to buy a bottle of this in the future.

Have you already tried Aoud Gourmet? This is another intersting aoud with caramel and sugar notes, but it`s more animalic and pronounced on oud.

Dependent

I think it has something in common with un bois vanille too, you`re right that they have the same caramel/vanilla vibe, but the addition of oud made it cozier to me. I really need to buy a bottle of this in the future.

Have you already tried Aoud Gourmet? This is another intersting aoud with caramel and sugar notes, but it`s more animalic and pronounced on oud.
    Unfortunately, I have not tried that one yet. I do have a recent soft-spot for animalic scents, and from your brief description, Aoud Gourmet will now be on my soon-to-try list. Thanks for the heads up, it does sound like something I will really enjoy.
    Last edited by MFJ; 18th May 2010 at 04:51 PM.

Methinks, it's time to move on to niche. Because everything you mentioned you're looking for IS out there.

Edit: Oops, didn't read you say it was out of your price range. It's unfortunate, because there are fragrances that smell like peanut butter, caramel, creme brulee, etc in niche.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 18th May 2010 at 08:40 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

If you want true gourmands (as I would call them), go to jojoelle.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    If you want true gourmands (as I would call them), go to jojoelle.com.
    Bigsly, which ones have you tried? What are your impressions about sillage, longevity of the scents?

I think I had something like marshmallow gingerbread. It was very natural and very strong. I've read good (and similar) things from others who have tried their frags. That's all I can tell you, as they are too literally gourmand for my tastes.