Code of Conduct

Default Review editing currently switched off

I'm switching off review editing due to several instances of people deciding they have had enough and turning them all into ************

I'm sure many people are frustrated by how long things take to happen round here sometimes, and want to make some sort of protest. I'm sorry. I wish things were different.

As we speak, I have 420 tasks to do on my to-do list, 500+ amendements to make to the directory, and 240 emails that I have flagged as needing some sort sort of further action. The amount of emails that come in every day make it difficult to actually get that figure down. Plus however many reviews that are waiting to be authorised.

It's no excuse - I'd be peeved if I had waited as long as some people have to get some sort of response or action. I don't particularly want to turn review edits off, but I need to do what I can to save adding to the todo list.

Default Re: Review editing currently switched off

A sound move Grant. Your efforts are superhuman, but you're no superman!

In view of the circumstances, it is the right thing to do. I am glad for it.

Support to you on this.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

It's about time, Grant. I'm sick and tired of folks pulling their reviews, regardless of their reasons for doing so. The bottom line is that they made a decision to DONATE and CONTRIBUTE to this website when they posted their reviews. If they weren't willing to do so without relinquishing ownership, they shouldn't have posted them in the first place. Pulling reviews is petulant, self-centered, and damaging to the Basenotes community. To reviewers who do a mass delete, I say good riddance.

There. I said it.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 1st April 2010 at 01:25 AM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    It's about time, Grant. I'm sick and tired of folks pulling their reviews, regardless of their reasons for doing so. The bottom line is that they made a decision to DONATE and CONTRIBUTE to this website when they posted their reviews. If they weren't willing to do so without relinquishing ownership, they shouldn't have posted them in the first place. Pulling reviews is petulant, self-centered, and damaging to the Basenotes community.
    I was going to post something similar to this. I agree 100%. Very well put!

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I agree. Once posted they are at least shared property with all Basenoters and perhaps editing of any existing review should be checked and cleared for edit by a Mod before it can take place. I am quite sure all those reviews are available on one of the archived internet sites. They could be found, copied and reposted to the appropriate review pages They could be made permanent shared property of Basenotes by 'an annonymous poster' in a newly made up generic Basenote membership--no credit wanted so no credit given. On one level it does piss me off. This appears a power play for control of completely unrelated problems through intimidation on another front. Boo and Hiss!
    Last edited by kbe; 1st April 2010 at 05:53 AM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

It is disappointing that people remove their reviews, but in the end, I think they should be able to do so.
    After all, this is the internet and not a paper publication. Half the fun is its flexibility: no need to worry about perfection because one can change things.That user-generated content can become user-deleted content unfortunately comes with the territory--but it is risk I wish we could continue to take.

I'm very sorry to no longer be able to correct my goofy typos, make corrections, or edit if I've changed my mind about a scent. I had been slowly going through my reviews to clarify whether I was talking about EDT or EDP, vintage or new, wears differently in cold weather than in hot, etc. Sigh.

I'm not criticizing Grant for deciding to do this: I don't know the first thing about managing a site this large and large. He's gotta do what he's gotta do.

I'm just expressing that i don't experience the indignation, or need for action that others seem to feel in response to people deleting their own reviews--petulant and annoying as that gesture may be--and that if the issue is ever revisited, I'd vote for keeping the editing features on, even if this means one or two people will misbehave.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 4th April 2010 at 07:27 PM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Grant's motivation does not seem to be aimed at preventing deletion of reviews. Instead, he is trying to prevent additional work added to his already long list of things to do. As reviews cannot be deleted by the user they're instead editing their reviews to show "......", "under reconsideration", and the like. These useless reviews pollute and lower the quality of the directory and require him to track down each one individually and delete them. Users "removing" thousands of reviews in this way is a big blemish he'd rather not have to deal with considering everything else he is doing at the moment.

I absolutely support with his decision and also absolutely agree with those who feel that users should have the right to edit or remove their reviews as they see fit. Hopefully Grant will find the time and motivation to complete the programming he has been working on to enhance the features on the site.

I'm really, really sorry to hear this, but I really, really understand why.

Sorry folks, I was as happy to see the review editing as anyone, given my typo-prone self, but I'm getting tired of review pages filled with thumbs-down "..." reviews.
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 4th April 2010 at 11:31 PM.

Admittedly, I was one of the people who reported this as I am new to this site and there was a particular member who had hundreds of "**********" reviews with thumbs down to boot, and that seemed abusive and childish to me. Quite frankly I didn't want to have to see someone trying to draw attention to themselves in a review section, regardless of the motivation behind it.

Basenotes Institution

Good for you Grant- the amount of emails you get a day,alone, would drive me nuts. The workload you have seems mountainous !

I only regret I cannot correct my terrible spelling mistakes .
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 13th April 2010 at 06:44 AM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I have a suggestion, but I have no idea if it is feasible. It is desirable to have the option of revising and updating reviews -- that adds to the value of the database. But I've never thought that there should be mass tinkering. That simply makes too much work for everybody. I wonder if it is possible to put some sort of "counter" on the edit feature. Allow one a week per user, or even one a month. That would allow for *significant* revisions, and prompt people to choose their updates judiciously. And also keep mass deletions out of the picture.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Well, ody if you're going to insert maturity, logic, and a creative idea into a heated cauldron that's dividing members apart--
    What can I say?
    You're a good man.

Pax,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

"What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?" Nick Lowe and Elvis Costello
    odysseusm

So I'm wondering when the editing function will be reinstated. It adds value to the site.
    odysseusm

Wonderful news, Grant! The results of your hard work will be great for all of us! Many thanks
    odysseusm

Funny, I edited a review a couple of weeks ago. Or more precisely I submitted a new one that overwrote the old one (on purpose).
    Last edited by scentsitivity; 14th June 2010 at 06:23 PM.

I only joined today, after using this site for looking up reviews. It's fascinating.
    I understand the workload is huge.
    On another forum where I post there is a one hour window for reviewing. Very handy for those typo-prone dyslectics who only see a typo once it's up on the site... Like me...

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by FrouFrou View Post
    I only joined today, after using this site for looking up reviews. It's fascinating.
    I understand the workload is huge.
    On another forum where I post there is a one hour window for reviewing. Very handy for those typo-prone dyslectics who only see a typo once it's up on the site... Like me...
    Yeah ,join the club- I am typo prone on the computer- I call myself computer dyslexic - my spelling is always back to front or something strange. I blame it on being left handed............

Anyways, Grant is close to being a Saint Grant for all the stuff he manages to do- I think he doesn't sleep .............
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Thank you Grant, I love the site and I have already learned a lot.
    And it woke me up from the unsatisfying scents I have been given but which didn't satisfy me as a good perfume should do.
    I have started a quest for my ''signature scent''.

Mimi, I always type letters the wrong way around... something to do with my left and right hand getting confused...
    I now have an add-on (installed by my bf) which marks a word as soon as I typed it and it's not spelled correctly. Gives me such a cachet as a writer!