Code of Conduct

Wink Scent of a city (New York)

I always love to vacation, next week i'll take my 20th trip to New York City, I still remember my first trip when I was 5, first I spent a week with my aunt and uncle in brooklyn then we stayed in manhattan for a few day ( i had to wear a dopey name bracelet with all my info on it until I was 7)

I've always been intrigued by the layout of it, how the isle of manhattan is smaller then the Dallas airport

so here's my thoughts on the scents

clean steel and concrete 5th ave smell = Bulgari Black
    Greenpoint Brooklyn on hot summer day= Youth Dew (or something with civet if your walking by the Newton Creek Sewage Plant
    Park Slope in Brooklyn= Clinique Happy
    Flushings Queens= whatever smells like an airport, something really anaseptic smelling I don't know I need some help on this one

What are your suggestions

PS I really want to find a scent that smells like the streets on a sweltering day when the concrete heats up and you feel like your in an oven
    [COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]

Default Re: Scent of a city (New York)

Quote Originally Posted by lightgreen22 View Post
    PS I really want to find a scent that smells like the streets on a sweltering day when the concrete heats up and you feel like your in an oven
    Here's the pyramid of what I smell in the city on a regular basis in the summer:
    Top notes: Hot dog urine and rancid oil baking on the sidewalk, falafel cart smoke
    Heart notes: More rancid oil, garbage, automobile and restaurant exhaust
    Base notes: Sewage, river water

The only fragrance that has actually reminded me of the way New York smells in the depth of summer is Vero Kern's Onda, which instantly reminded me of the sickly sweet smell of stale urine in the subway when it's 130 degrees down there in August. I'm serious.
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

Quote Originally Posted by arlecchino View Post
    Here's the pyramid of what I smell in the city on a regular basis in the summer:
    Top notes: Hot dog urine and rancid oil baking on the sidewalk, falafel cart smoke

The only fragrance that has actually reminded me of the way New York smells in the depth of summer is Vero Kern's Onda, which instantly reminded me of the sickly sweet smell of stale urine in the subway when it's 130 degrees down there in August. I'm serious.
    Harsh

LOL! But true.

Thank You! I share your impression of Onda. Like you say, it's the smell you encounter on a hot day in New York as you descend the steps into a subway station as a train arrives and forces a wall of thick warm air (including the stench of stale urine that is deposited at the platform ends) out past you into the street.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Harsh
    Hilarious.
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

Basenotes Institution

Didn't Chandler Burr write an article about this?